Review Geelong defeats WB at Kp by 44 points

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
one of my favourite stats for the year so far... by the end of the round, we will have won 28 quarters out of 36, with the next best being 21.
There is determination by the lads this year not seen for some years previously. Very exciting, I just hope they can keep it together when the season gets longer and the heat gets hotter.

They seem to have a good mix across the board of experience, youth and the injection of enthusiasm to wear the hoops. It's a potent combination.

I just hope Scott and Guthrie can keep it up :oops:

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
There is determination by the lads this year not seen for some years previously. Very exciting, I just hope they can keep it together when the season gets longer and the heat gets hotter.

They seem to have a good mix across the board of experience, youth and the injection of enthusiasm to wear the hoops. It's a potent combination.

I just hope Scott and Guthrie can keep it up :oops:

Why? I'd rather snippy little wrong melts than a massive dam break. :p

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gees henry continues to get a free ride on this board. More people are sticking it to clark in his first year then henry who is in his third year and completely spudding it up.

Henderson is a walk in when he gets fit unless henry lifts massively.

Would you rather Henry he lambasted by his own supporters. He’s had some injury problems this year, playing in a defence full of stars, maybe he’s trying to fit and play the roll asked of him.

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
Unsurprisingly the interrupted preseason is catching up with him and we are also playing him in a role he hasn’t played.
Won’t surprise me if he’s not in our best 22 come finals but feel sure he will be next season
Those who have called him timid didn’t see him play WAFL and his leg is so good he’ll one of our best kicks soon if he’s not there already.

I just think he is better suited to the half back right now and there is no spot for him. It’s a sign how high he is rated by the MC trying to find a place for him, but it’s not working right now. This will be good development for him - needs to find a way to get more involved in the play. I think he’s smart enough to work through this.

I just watched the first 5 minutes of the game for the first time. Might have changed my votes had I done so earlier. Rohan FFS. Awesome!
He's set the tone for us on a few occasions this year. A fantastic pick up and one that I'm happy to say that I got wrong.

I didn’t really think so. To be clear I thought Abbott was poor around the ground but I just don’t think we got done in the ruck at all. If anything I think it showed we lacked chemistry between our rucks and mids. I’m guessing our HO to adv stats won’t be good reading.
Broke even in around the ground stoppages but got smashed in the centre. Seemed like it was because we routinely had all our guys sucked into the ball, it popped out goal side for the Dogs and they were away. At least once on the broadcast they highlighted Roughhead tapping to a stationary Bont - they lauded the tap but Bontempelli was unmarked and had no-one between him and CHF.

Broke even in around the ground stoppages but got smashed in the centre. Seemed like it was because we routinely had all our guys sucked into the ball, it popped out goal side for the Dogs and they were away. At least once on the broadcast they highlighted Roughhead tapping to a stationary Bont - they lauded the tap but Bontempelli was unmarked and had no-one between him and CHF.
To my eye we got hand first to plenty in the centre.

This is exactly what I suspected:

127FEC56-9954-46BC-9B8F-EA71F622181D.jpeg

To my eye we got hand first to plenty in the centre.

This is exactly what I suspected:
Yeah I don't think it was a hit out issue, I think we often just don't set up well at centre stoppages.

What was the expected score, out of interest?

Currently watching the game.. Watching with particular interest in the umpires as I see the Dogs fans absolutely livid and claiming it cost them the game.
I was at the game, i didn't notice... But I'm also very aware that i could have gotten caught up in the game and can be very biased..

So far in the 2nd half I've seen 2 decisions that have been very stiff against the dogs and 1 that was against us...

Am I watching the wrong game? Or do the dogs fans now just have ridiculous expectations of the umps after getting one of the better runs of all time in 2016?

Yeah I don't think it was a hit out issue, I think we often just don't set up well at centre stoppages.

What was the expected score, out of interest?
9A60D5F9-CA26-4978-93F8-FCAFA8B38276.jpeg

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think he is better suited to the half back right now and there is no spot for him. It’s a sign how high he is rated by the MC trying to find a place for him, but it’s not working right now. This will be good development for him - needs to find a way to get more involved in the play. I think he’s smart enough to work through this.
I'll admit I didn't see the game but some players are more suited to the G and some are more suited to KP.
Henry and Kolo seem to be more suited to the G to me and have a bigger impact there and sometimes struggle at KP.
Where as Taylor and Hendo do the opposite.
Good to have a mix.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I'll admit I didn't see the game but some players are more suited to the G and some are more suited to KP.
Henry and Kolo seem to be more suited to the G to me and have a bigger impact there and sometimes struggle at KP.
Where as Taylor and Hendo do the opposite.
Good to have a mix.

Mr married spazz cat, of course no game watching: how'd the wedding go?

Heckler

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think i may be wrong on gary rohan.

His form the last 6 weeks has been excellent and nothing like his other 10 years of football.

A few weeks back I heard that:-

When Gary Rohan came down to the Cats he was called in for a chat by the coach.
He was asked what were his strengths? .. He replied... Speed and Marking
The coach was a little disbelieving. .. so he added that 90% of the kicks we directed to Buddy, meant he had limited opportunity.
His form is a reflection of a happy player in a team that chooses the best option rather that focusing on their main key forwards.

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
one of my favourite stats for the year so far... by the end of the round, we will have won 28 quarters out of 36, with the next best being 21.

That's impressive, genuinely is. Geelong in previous seasons might have had a great quarter and a good one or two, but to lose just 8 quarters to who we've played is a sign of a very consistent effort in game.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching the game again I'd have to say gee the Bulldogs throw the ball a lot. Back to their old selves.
Yes, umps would be better served watching for genuine throws, and not the accidental ones where the player lifts the ball when knocking it on.
Talking of which, Duncan did very well to avoid it with his knock-on into the goalsquare.

There was an article a couple of days abt GAJ and his shoulder injury. I realised then that he wasn't wearing any. I win!
You’re always the winner allrighty 😜

quoted to add more 'like', mirrors a lot of what I'm thinking.

I hope the coaches are keeping the boys real despite the record. I really hope nobody is drinking their own bathwater but also, paradoxically, building their confidences. Worse case for me would be that some will be thinking that a some other teammate will always pull them forward and he himself will mentally just be along for the ride. "Skip will get us back in it", "Paddy's got this". They all have to have that desperation to give them that extra step and a half. Those potential spectators need to be leaders. They had that at the start of the season. Need to get it back for last half.
There is talent throughout the squad. Let's see their mental toughness and physical durability now.
PS. nice speech by Coach at 3/4 time. Like.

Spearman, excellent post. Good thoughts.

Bolded:
We’ve certainly been guilty of that attitude for years.
This Season, so far, there’s been little complacency. The vibe from the team exudes excitement, determination, application + cohesion. Totally different this year.
Might have been a little complacency in the North + Bulldogs game, I think. Or is the team playing to get the win, but a gear or two down, to prevent injury, tiredness or soreness?
Geelong players have always loved blockbuster games. Then arrogance + complacency when playing low ladder teams, lost games.
This Season we’re making strong, fast starts, which is exciting. We’re able to buckle up, apply pressure + kick goals to recapture the lead, or accelerate towards a bigger margin.
Very few passengers this year, everyone has a defined role + are mostly playing it.
Team structure has improved enormously.
Still, on Saturday night, when Bulldogs kicked three goals, Selwood put his head over the ball, was like a cannon blasting through the enemy + dragged the team with him.
The team has overcome many issues + the players have gelled. Just need to fix areas where oppo teams expose us. Peak for Finals + anything could happen!
Note: lid is on firmly.

Watching the game again I'd have to say gee the Bulldogs throw the ball a lot. Back to their old selves.
Noticed that too, watching the replay. Was brought up after another game a few weeks ago ??? A team who gets away with throwing, yet we were pinged.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
He's set the tone for us on a few occasions this year. A fantastic pick up and one that I'm happy to say that I got wrong.

He's been an absolute revelation to me to be honest , I always thought of him as a speedster opportunist at the Swans but he's so much more than that - his closing speed and defensive attributes are elite and he's so good in the air - really difficult match up.
Oh - he goes alright with the set shots as well just quietly :)

Back