Review Geelong defeats WC by 20 points. GO you Good things!!!

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Glad you’re acknowledging his contribution. Guthrie too. Others won’t have it in them. Already just hiding behind their “right to an opinion” and side arguments. That’s what makes you a quality contributor.

I’ll leave it at that.

To be fair CE I think the majority of people want the team and the players to succeed more than they want their opinions to be proven correct. The ones who feel actively disappointed when a player they have criticised has a good game, or who are totally unwilling to acknowledge when said player contributes in a positive way, are in a pretty small (albeit vocal) minority. Guthrie in particular is a good example of this - there are two or three weird obsessives on this forum who are determined to attack him no matter what and will *never* admit he did well, but most people who are critical of him don't fall in to that category.

Also if someone has a good game you're right that it should be acknowledged, but a positive performance doesn't retroactively invalidate all previous criticism of the player in question.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep. I think this is great preparation. I remember Darren Burgess (the fitness guru) say that the one game in 3-weeks isn't ideal preparation and he'd rather be the team that had played the week before, even if it was off just a 6-day break. He said this just before the Cats v Swans prelim in 2016. Look at Richmond getting caught cold against the Pies last year after going straight through to the prelim. He was right I reckon.

This rings true but moreso for us than anyone else and is exactly why I wasn’t nervous before the Collingwood game.

Whilst I was bloody disappointed last week, I knew our season wasn’t over as we always win the week after and the eagles are overrated this year.

If we won we just get another bye and likely start badly again.

We are now in a better position to win a flag having lost week than had we been had we won last week. (Although this likely Hawkins suspension changes that somewhat)
I see Richmond as the tough game but does it really matter that we play them this week rather than a GF?

If we make a GF boy would I be feeling confident.

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
That was bloody satisfying, excellent "team" win, don't think there was one player who didn't contribute in some form or another.

Bit surprised at the angst leading into the game though, was beginning to think the game was over before it started reading a lot of the posts on here.

Since the bye the Eagles have played two teams in the top eight and lost to both of them, plus getting toweled up at home by Hawthorn in a game where a top four spot was on the line, not exactly the sort of form to give you sleepless nights I wouldn't have thought.

Would you like the MC to bring in Parsons to play on the wing next week?

I'm thinking that the MC were looking at available players or more so those unavailable - Clark & Duncan had both spent a fair bit of the season playing on the wing and neither available tonight. While Selwood seemed to move back into the engine room and away from his spot on the wing.

The MC then looked at the potential matchups in defence and seems that they felt that playing Blicavs on the wing wouldn't necessarily be too disruptive to our defence and also meant we had one of our better endurance players on the wing.

I also noticed Kelly starting on the wing at times.

Is that any other players you would prefer on the wing - maybe Kolo?
Gaff got on top and looked dangerous. Blicavs hasn’t played wing for about 2 years. Narkle , Kelly or Parfitt are options

Ofcourse this was a test. Next week’s is a bigger one but they have shown tonight that they can rise to the challenge. And I am excited. It was a great game to be at and I was proud of the team and am backing them to put up a good fight against the tiges. Looked like we just about have our mojo back.
Have our mojo back? LWLWLWLWLWLW lost it again next week?

Yeah, it's disappointing to see people trying to 'score points' against fellow posters. We should all be here basking in a great win......

Anyhow, good to see Kolo begin the road to redemption after last week's effort, and also fantastic to see Guthrie lift his game.

The challenge for them both is to now keep that standard up over the duration. I hope they succeed.
Good post. Seems a bit cliquey with posters that defend every decision the club makes then others that can be ultra critical to those that linger in between. We are aloud to have opinions , no need to get all defensive and narky because opinions don’t sit well with whatever thoughts others may have.

No still angry about last week why could the players not do that last week takes another bad final to come out and play like finals should be played
Spot on! And does it mean that we lose our edge because we won last night?? Shouldn’t be like that! We need to be ferocious and unsatisfied against tigers!

It'll either be Harry up forward, or Rohan in for Hawkins with about a hundred different players being rotated in and out of the forward line (including Harry).

I said it last night in my drunken state, and surprisingly I still feel the same way in my sober state - I actually don't mind if Hawkins misses. We're far too predictable when he plays, and him missing could be just the catalyst we need to throw something different at the Tiges. Either way, as long as it's only a week, I'm not fussed. If he plays, he's in good form. If he misses, we change things up.

Would rather play Richmond in a Prelim anyway. Playing them in a Granny would be too much for some of our mentally weaker players. We'll probably lose, but we mustn't lose badly, if we're to show that we're a better side this year. Minimum acceptable outcome was either a GF or a very close Prelim loss. I still stick by that.

As far as I'm concerned, the pressure is off, as I didn't even think we'd be playing next week! Go for broke and bring on the Prelim!!

No Harry up forward theatrics please. He has had a good year down back and will be needed against their twin towers.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Finally , we see the real Geelong turn up and win a high pressure Final 👍

As required we pressured them relentlessly in the first, took away their switch and we decided to be bold and pull the trigger when it was there, finally!!
Lost the plot in the second but stayed in the arm wrestle to pull away convincingly in the last. That’s the Cats outfit we know and love😜

Great team effort which will generate a lot of confidence as all players did their bit when it counted and had an influence

Just loved the Skippers game - if he has two more of those in him we’re a huge chance. Guthrie also huge in a fantastic 4 quarter effort. Two talls kicking 7 and catching it in our best DNA - love it
Stanley battled manfully- well done
Defence solid and accountable yet again restricting the opposition to a low score👍

Great sign for our fitness with our last quarters closing out the opposition to a point each over the last 2 finals.
Bring on those Tigers😜

hoopla

Premiership Player
May 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching the replay, I am astounded at the umpiring mistakes in the second quarter which basically got the eagles back in the game. Surprisingly, I wouldn’t count the Ryan block as an umpiring mistake, but there were so many more mistakes that assisted the comeback. I have counted 14 to 3 mistakes in favour of the eagles so far. I’m only half way through the third quarter, so it may even out by the end...but I doubt it.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
That was bloody satisfying, excellent "team" win, don't think there was one player who didn't contribute in some form or another.

Bit surprised at the angst leading into the game though, was beginning to think the game was over before it started reading a lot of the posts on here.

Since the bye the Eagles have played two teams in the top eight and lost to both of them, plus getting toweled up at home by Hawthorn in a game where a top four spot was on the line, not exactly the sort of form to give you sleepless nights I wouldn't have thought.
Agree. They had only just been going. We haven’t been flash either but all this media crap talk re them being in the best few leading into the finals was a bit rich.

Back