Review Geelong defeats WC by 20 points. GO you Good things!!!

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Not dismissing the win, composure and effort required, however, last weeks final, and those in the recent past we've lost, have been played in packed cauldrons full of rabid (mostly opposition) fans....not the two wins* we've had v's elim final winners from outta state in a half empty mcg.
*Ishank's spray wide notwithstanding
Interesting point:think:

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeing such a great win being used to try and provoke / dumb down others is disappointing. It's a childish urge.

Anyhow, it's an internet forum, so it takes all sorts....... even you and I 😂

Eyes on next week now. I think the first consideration must be Hawkins. What's our best Plan B?
And also as was alluded to before, usually it's triggered by the select few who resort to baiting when the chips are down. But yeah a bit of tit for tat I find is mostly done with a tongue in cheek fashion. Its what forums live off, we have a chuckle at reactionary drivel while others make fun of our own.

I expected a win but was no more satisfied than I would have been if I predicted a 100 point loss and was surprised. A couple of the players I criticised had emphatic responses and it was actually these ones I was most proud of. The egg on face factor is always overridden by a beneficial aspect to the team. It's true that we need some if not all individual efforts to be backed up in consecutive weeks to earn trust back. Sadly I resort back to my on the fence mode as to whether or not that will eventuate on Friday.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
And also as was alluded to before, usually it's triggered by the select few who resort to baiting when the chips are down. But yeah a bit of tit for tat I find is mostly done with a tongue in cheek fashion. Its what forums live off, we have a chuckle at reactionary drivel while others make fun of our own.

I expected a win but was no more satisfied than I would have been if I predicted a 100 point loss and was surprised. A couple of the players I criticised had emphatic responses and it was actually these ones I was most proud of. The egg on face factor is always overridden by a beneficial aspect to the team. It's true that we need some if not all individual efforts to be backed up in consecutive weeks to earn trust back. Sadly I resort back to my on the fence mode as to whether or not that will eventuate on Friday.

I'm paddling the same canoe mate.

Truly don't know.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Absolutely. Notice how aside from some great marking late by Dangerfield he wasn't critical to our effort - it was just a solid even contribution across the board. Everyone does their bit and we don't rely on a few players.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think it matters. If we're winning the flag we were always going to have to beat Richmond at some stage. Does it matter if it's the GF or prelim final? I just don't get why people want an easier prelim. You need to beat the best to be the best. Bring it on, we can beat Richmond.
My thoughts exactly. Richmond at the G was almost a guarantee requirement to get a premiership. A soft prelim before a grand final exposè isn't my cup of tea. Beat Richmond and we have shown our credentials before the big dance.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins so so dumb AND bloody stupid?!? - that's unpossible.

Got away w what appeared to be a helluva shove in the back for that touched mark n goal in the last....remember Tombo, not ALL calls are out to get ya.
What about his trip on McGovern? To allow Sav to mark the ball. A few definitely went our way.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Great win by the cats got was well and truly ruined in the 4th quarter the beers tasted so sweet at the ground.

Good time of the year to be playing football I will take a chance in a prelim anyday

Need a lot to go right next week

Sav at full forward and surround him with the mosquito fleet. Hopefully Rohan gets up the logical in if fit.

Just get out and go on the attack through the midfield it's one area which I do think Richmond is suspect.

Tactics out the window next week hit them hard in midfield dominant the territory get repeat inside 50's and try and kick 15 sausages

Maybe we are tough markers as neither of these 2 received votes in our MVP thread, and it also explains why these 2 are locks in our defensive unit:

1. O’Connor and Bews
No, they are not a Geelong legal firm, they were Geelong’s unheralded assassins on Friday night. Irishman Mark O’Connor has played on Jamie Cripps twice this year. He held him to seven disposals and zero score involvements in Round 6 and nine disposals, three score involvements and zero goals in the semi-final. O’Connor has conceded 12 goals from his 22 matches this year, the fewest of any permanent defender to play 20 games this year. Jed Bews played his first game this season in Round 15. The only opponent to kick more than two goals on him was Brisbane’s Charlie Cameron in Round 22. On Friday night he had Liam Ryan as an opponent. Ryan had seven touches in the second quarter and only two in quarters one, three and four. Joel Selwood will get top votes in the B & F ahead of Cam Guthrie but the two defenders should be next in the pecking order.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Maybe we are tough markers as neither of these 2 received votes in our MVP thread, and it also explains why these 2 are locks in our defensive unit:

1. O’Connor and Bews
No, they are not a Geelong legal firm, they were Geelong’s unheralded assassins on Friday night. Irishman Mark O’Connor has played on Jamie Cripps twice this year. He held him to seven disposals and zero score involvements in Round 6 and nine disposals, three score involvements and zero goals in the semi-final. O’Connor has conceded 12 goals from his 22 matches this year, the fewest of any permanent defender to play 20 games this year. Jed Bews played his first game this season in Round 15. The only opponent to kick more than two goals on him was Brisbane’s Charlie Cameron in Round 22. On Friday night he had Liam Ryan as an opponent. Ryan had seven touches in the second quarter and only two in quarters one, three and four. Joel Selwood will get top votes in the B & F ahead of Cam Guthrie but the two defenders should be next in the pecking order.

Both bounced back well, I didn't think O'Connor was terrible last week although at the ground it's hard to keep track of every single play as you can't see everything so I would probably have to go back and look closer I did see a lot of reports on big footy suggesting he didn't cut the mustard. I thought bews was very quiet possibly to do with the ankle pre-game last week perhaps that is a stretch though.

Bews really needed this game in a bracket with 2e, Guthrie guys who needed to stand up on the big stage because they have been around a while in the best 22.

I also suspect 15 players didn't grade particular well vs the pies in a thoroughly disappointing game. Just kicking straight for a start the most basic of functions in a final kick straight you just won't get many opportunities.

Anyway good to be in a prelim that was the goal and now the Geelong camp undermanned gets an opportunity to cause an upset to the premiership fancy a heavy favourite I suspect.

Not even going to really think about the game to much this week.

Get tickets
Go to game
Fingers Crossed 😂😂😂😂

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

1. O’Connor and Bews

Confirmed my thoughts on MOC that he has been quite miserly all season. Ryan had his purple patch but Jed had a great game otherwise. Also Bews tended to look before he kicked and made smarter decisions. MOC less so but hopefully that comes with experience.

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
This win has stuffed up the narrative for many on this board

It was never about this game. Most who looked at the West Coast game with any common sense would have picked a Geelong win. After all, the result was consistent with what this team has produced in the past. 2019 and in finals.

It looked to me (again) that a week of media bashing of the team and Chris Scott really got them to perform, which they did. They went harder offensively, defensively, ran harder for each other, created space. To be honest I think Geelong should have won by 6+ goals, West Coast had some free kick luck and we missed shots with momentum in the 3rd (from memory).

Why didn't they bring this intent V Collingwood? In my opinion an inferior side who only got over us by less than 2 goals? Geelong gifted Collingwood all their early goals with stupidity, the ones that made a difference in the end. Geelong should be playing GWS this week, but they didn't want it bad enough. Go and watch that game again after seeing them V WC, watch the pathetic efforts everywhere. Looks like just another home and away performance from Geelong, wouldn't know they're in a qualifying final.

Nothing has changed, NOTHING!

We find out how much guts this side has on Friday night, how bad they really want to win... whether or not they think they're worthy.

If Geelong put their best effort in and lose, I don't mind. I want to see a side playing like it means everything to them though, Selwood didn't do this V the Pies, the Captain. Why not? Many, many others didn't either. Was actually nice to see Dangerfield not having to carry the midfield for a change too V WC, I'll bet he was appreciative.

+ Hawkins extremely lucky to get 1 week. Genuine irresponsibility from a senior player, very poor.

Fyre

Team Captain
May 24, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Guthrie was great. Gave us the run and carry we missed the week before. I thought Danger might be used on the outside to give us that dash but Guthrie was super in that role. Duncan missing the rest of the year, going to need that.

Kolo was most improved IMO though. Was awful last week and great this week. Really need him to hold that form. Great bounce back.

If Blicavs is going to be used up the ground, he needs to be more accountable. Gaff really got a hold of him because he was given too much space. Just needs to tidy that up a bit this week if he is playing there again.

Much better ball movement which really opened the game up for us. Glad the coaches, or players (depending on who to believe after all the interviews this past week) for addressed that issue. Just need to persist with it again.....and hopefully again.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. As CD's official centre clearance stats are no longer available via the AFL's match centre, I've tabulated my own - CD's definition likely differs from mine in some instances (they've evidently given a clearance to Nic Nat that traveled 10m from the centre circle and went straight to Bews for an actual effective clearance to a player outside the centre square), so I can't vouch that they'll be identical to CD.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Blicavs 25 wing
Menegola 22 wing
Dangerfield 22
J.Selwood 21
C.Guthrie 16 (5w)
Kelly 14 (1w)
Narkle 7
Parfitt 6 (1w)
Ablett 2

Rucks:
Stanley 23
Ratugolea 4

Centre Clearances
Dangerfield 4
C.Guthrie 4
J.Selwood 2
Kelly 2
Blicavs 1
Menegola 1
Narkle 1

Q1 - 7

Blicavs 6 wing
Menegola 6 wing
Dangerfield 6
J.Selwood 5
C.Guthrie 4 (2i, 2w)
Kelly 3
Narkle 3
Parfitt 2

Stanley 6
Ratugolea 1

Q2 - 7

Blicavs 7 wing
Menegola 6 wing
J.Selwood 6
Dangerfield 5
C.Guthrie 4 (1w)
Kelly 2
Parfitt 2
Ablett 2
Narkle 1

Stanley 6
Ratugolea 1

Q3 - 8

Blicavs 8 wing
Dangerfield 7
Menegola 6 wing
J.Selwood 6
C.Guthrie 6 (2w)
Kelly 4
Narkle 2
Parfitt 1

Stanley 7
Ratugolea 1

Q4 - 5

Kelly 5 (1w)
Blicavs 4 wing
Menegola 4 wing
Dangerfield 4
J.Selwood 4
C.Guthire 2
Narkle 1
Parfitt 1 wing

Stanley 4
Ratugolea 1

Notes:
- Most wing starts for Blicavs in analysed games since Rd 2, 2018
- Kelly's 51% attendance ratio is his lowest from the 14 analysed games this season.
- First match (of the 14) where Selwood hasn't had a wing start

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
It was never about this game. Most who looked at the West Coast game with any common sense would have picked a Geelong win. After all, the result was consistent with what this team has produced in the past. 2019 and in finals.

It looked to me (again) that a week of media bashing of the team and Chris Scott really got them to perform, which they did. They went harder offensively, defensively, ran harder for each other, created space. To be honest I think Geelong should have won by 6+ goals, West Coast had some free kick luck and we missed shots with momentum in the 3rd (from memory).

Why didn't they bring this intent V Collingwood? In my opinion an inferior side who only got over us by less than 2 goals? Geelong gifted Collingwood all their early goals with stupidity, the ones that made a difference in the end. Geelong should be playing GWS this week, but they didn't want it bad enough. Go and watch that game again after seeing them V WC, watch the pathetic efforts everywhere. Looks like just another home and away performance from Geelong, wouldn't know they're in a qualifying final.

Nothing has changed, NOTHING!

We find out how much guts this side has on Friday night, how bad they really want to win... whether or not they think they're worthy.

If Geelong put their best effort in and lose, I don't mind. I want to see a side playing like it means everything to them though, Selwood didn't do this V the Pies, the Captain. Why not? Many, many others didn't either. Was actually nice to see Dangerfield not having to carry the midfield for a change too V WC, I'll bet he was appreciative.

+ Hawkins extremely lucky to get 1 week. Genuine irresponsibility from a senior player, very poor.

What an "interesting" viewpoint PB :)
As per the old adage you are only as good as your last game so any genuine Cats supporters should be well and truly up and about this week.
We were ordinary V Pies but to reverse that so convincingly against last years Premiers in a cut throat final means something has changed. SOMETHING !!

Fantastic effort from the whole team including the coaches who took away Eagles intercept marking and their switch kicking.
Whilst they gained momentum after our blistering start we were good enough to pull away in the last and keep them to a solitary behind.

Your man GUTHRIE was fantastic all night , the fact that you can't acknowledge that after your constant anti Guthrie vitriol is an ordinary effort to say the least. :(

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's amazing what can happen when you play an actual ruck as your #1 ruck :oops:

Not a point without merit but has anyone given thought to the idea that against Grundy, Scott was maybe happy to concede that even with Stanley, we’d have been given a bath so with Blicavs at least we could have someone with more versatility in the middle playing a different role?

The AFLCA have their finals MVP and these are the votes from our game on Friday

GEELONG v WEST COAST
10 Joel Selwood (GEEL)
6 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
4 Jake Kolodjashnij (GEEL)
4 Cam Guthrie (GEEL)
3 Esava Ratugolea (GEEL)
2 Andrew Gaff (WCE)
1 Luke Shuey (WCE)

GARY AYRES AWARD LEADERBOARD
10 Jamie Cripps
10 Toby Greene
10 Stefan Martin
10 Joel Selwood
10 Tim Taranto
9 Shane Edwards
9 Dustin Martin
9 Luke Shuey
7 Patrick Dangerfield (against Collingwood & received the highest votes that match)
7 Jacob Hopper

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
Your man GUTHRIE was fantastic all night , the fact that you can't acknowledge that after your constant anti Guthrie vitriol is an ordinary effort to say the least. :(

I did acknowledge Guthrie was good. You just made that assumption did you? What was that about ordinary efforts? Lol.

I call it as I see it bud, and back it up. Guthrie should be doing what he did on Friday night consistently. He had no attention and found a lot of the ball and space / used it well. He needs to be doing this consistently, not once a season. In fact I'd say he's not performed at this level in over 3 years. What do you expect from a senior 160 game player?

We were ordinary V Pies but to reverse that so convincingly against last years Premiers in a cut throat final means something has changed.

We've done similar for at least half of the year, one on / one off. Since Round 14, Geelong L,W,L,W,L,W,L,W,L,W,L,W.

Something has changed you say? I fear Geelong's performance v WC though great, was reactionary due in-part to heavy media scrutiny, I hope not. I would like to see Geelong win two games in a row, something they haven't done in nearly 3 months.

Last edited:
Back