Review Geelong exorcise the Demons by 15 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great moment. The tackling here is fierce. Brad Close at his best.

I said it on the night and watching this on replay I'm happy to post it again - that's surely the fastest Hawkins has run in years

I'll need to watch it back, but if he did, it once again proves how Rohan's speed causes panic, where players are either terrified or caught in two minds what to do.

We are infinitely better with him in our side. I couldn't stand him at Sydney, but I unapologetically say he has become one of my favourites here.

Rohan is almost the classic example of being underrated due to being an interstate player, but once in Vic and we get to see more of him then you start to realise his strengths

Watching him, especially the past 18 months or so, you really start to wonder what Sydney was or more so wasn't doing with him

Our backline this week will likely be someone like J. Henry or Kolo rested, and Sav coming in. Will be up to him to push one of them out come the pointy end. My money is on Henry at this stage, as it's not been his best year, and he's really in no man's land when it comes to his role in the team. Sav is a taller interceptor and better one on one, and guys like Zuth are better rebounders.

We could always omit O'Connor who is 6'3 as well, and back in Henry given his immense talent, but we'll have to see what the MC does moving forward. I've said it all year though, rightly or wrongly, when Sav is fit - he will be selected.

If a defender is rested/managed this week it'll be Kolodjashnij - he was on the receiving end of a heavy bump to the hip area by SDK. He spent a bit of time on the ground on all fours before then going to the bench

He obviously played out the match, but didn't seem totally comfortable - could well have a week off to make sure he's right

As for J. Henry, he needs match time - having missed a good chunk of the early part of the season he's behind teammates for match fitness, and not sure a week on the sidelines as he started to put together a really solid second half is much benefit for him

Interesting how May gave up. Still could have pressured Rohan into a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
May looks cooked. He looks in control and doin it easy when the ball is coming in nice and slow, but run him around and take him up the ground as Tommy did he gets exposed for pace and speed of ball movement…

Gary Rohans goal - which was a tremendous goal - very exciting - watched it several times over- were 1 player says im just going burn you off

But anyone who went to the 1981 PF at Waverley which i did - Geelong v Coll - Cats should have won by about 6 goals - but thats another story

But what Rohan did to May - is exactly what Peter Daicos did to Ian Nankervis late in the last qtr to basically win the game for Coll . There were only those 2 and then the goals - cant remember if Daicos marked the ball - but he got possession - and said - im going to do you for pace - and thats exactly what he did and kicked the goal

Not a great. Excellent player with sublime skills and highlights, but no chance a great
We all have our opinions- in my list, he's a great. Any player who had a great GF in a flag year does it for me.
Going to Pieland - no dilution factor imo.

Great pick-up. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it. And despite the ecstasy of how it ends, I have to admit that almost my favourite moment in the entire glorious sequence is Hunter's despairing glance towards the umpire in search of a thoroughly undeserved free kick. It's as if he knows how badly the play is going to go for the Dees from there if the ump doesn't blow his whistle.

And he was right.

:p

#goyoucats
Insipid little squib. Glad Close assassinated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan is almost the classic example of being underrated due to being an interstate player, but once in Vic and we get to see more of him then you start to realise his strengths

Watching him, especially the past 18 months or so, you really start to wonder what Sydney was or more so wasn't doing with him
Had a bit to do with them- he had excellent days with them, and as with us, also went missing a lot.
His finals 2022 v Pies mainly, but also other games like last night, really backs up what CS said about him last year.
His best = the very best in our team.
His worst= what he needs to eradicate, and he is succeeding.

We all have our opinions- in my list, he's a great. Any player who had a great GF in a flag year does it for me.
Going to Pieland - no dilution factor imo.
Agree going to that lot of scum makes no difference to his value.

still find it hard to label him as a great when you think about the other players who are in that range.. (Not exhaustive list obviously and could argue specifics)

ie. legends (recent) Ablett x 2; Scarlett; Selwood; Enright;

greats (recent)- Corey; Chapman; Stewart; Stevie; Ling; Ottens; Bartel (Maybe a legend);

he’s not in the greats category. in fact not close.

remembering not everyone can be a legend, so we have quite a few greats

Last edited:
Agree going to that lot of scum makes no difference to his value.

still find it hard to label him as a great when you think about the other players who are in that range.. (Not exhaustive list obviously and could arogue specifics)

ie. legends (recent) Ablett x 2; Scarlett; Selwood; Enright;

greats (recent)- Corey; Chapman; Stewart; Stevie; Ling; Ottens; Bartel (Maybe a legend);

he’s not in the greats category. in fact not close.

remembering not everyone can be a legend, so we have quite a few greats
surely Danger gets a nod as a great?

Even Hawkins was closing in on Hunter pretty quickly. Sure he ended up abandoning the chase, but I don't mind because it was obvious that Close and Holmes would get there first, and lurking about near the center square as an option for a quick handball was the smart play though unnecessary in the end.

It almost looked like he tried to give Chuckie a nudge with his hands just as he was getting overtaken, but stuffed it up.

Must admit watching it live I thought Hawkins suffered a hamstring injury as it seemed he pulled up quickly when he realised he wasn't going to be able to impact the contest and turned to head towards our forward line.

AFAIK Sydney tried pretty hard to find a spot where he could impact consistently and in their defense he still isn't a "reliable" player who will give you 15 possies, 4 tackles and goal every game. I think he started life as a forward, and spent a fair bit of time off half back and through the midfield because it would appear those positions should suit his game. For whatever reason though he could never get enough ball often enough to hold those spots so he ended up back at the forward line before we traded him in.

He also obviously had a lot of injury issues that would have delayed his development.

I also don't recall him being in the top runners for distance in any of the games I've seen him in, so it could just be that he's not a great aerobic athlete and he's limited in the number of contests he can get to and impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back