Geelong Falcons

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Has there ever been a side in this competition fiddle around with the ball as much as the Falcons?

On the weekend they had 400 possessions (201 kicks and 199 handballs), 92 marks (only 10 of them were contested), and a whopping 146 handball receives. In a game which they only won by three points - somewhat fortunately in the end.

The average possessions per team in a TAC Cup game is around the 300 mark.

If we look at other teams from the weekend, total possessions:
Dandenong 311
Murray 253
Calder 268
Gippsland 383 (and have also been high during the season)
Northern 308
North Ballarat 263
Oakleigh 319
Bendigo 275
Sandringham 349
Western 329
Eastern 275
Average (excluding Geelong) 303

Geelong's overuse isn't isolated to one game....

The week before against Northern they had 395 possessions (215 kicks and 180 handballs), 145 handball receives and 99 marks (only 9 of them were contested).

Round 8 they had 206 kicks and 192 handballs (total of 398 possessions). 150 handball receives. 111 marks (only 5 marks were contested).

Chipping the ball around sideways and backwards isn't really the style of footy I want to see in the TAC Cup. It seems to be a "keepings off" mentality - similar to the type of footy the Hawks are trying to play in the AFL.

Good luck to them, they have been winning. But it's no wonder a few of their players looked soft and unable to be physically imposing when they wore a Vic Country jumper over the carnival - clearly used to getting the easy kicks, and not getting much practice at taking contested marks!

I watched them today vs Ballarat Rebels. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

What an incredible display of over use of the football. In 1 passage of play (in perfect conditions I might I add) I think they had near on 20 handballs from HB to wing.

The Rebels just waited for them to stuff up, as they eventually did, and they went bang, bang long down to O'Brien who turned around and kicked 1 of his 6 goals.

I can only guess their motto at GF is 'Never go forwards when you can go backwards." The amount of times they had the ball on the wing and then moved the ball all the way back to the backpocket was frightening.

Today they rivaled the Queensland U18 championship team for ineffective use of the ball.

The annoying thing is the GF have some talented lads who can quickly run and carry the ball and hit targets.

Very disappointing.

I watched them today vs Ballarat Rebels. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

What an incredible display of over use of the football. In 1 passage of play (in perfect conditions I might I add) I think they had near on 20 handballs from HB to wing.

The Rebels just waited for them to stuff up, as they eventually did, and they went bang, bang long down to O'Brien who turned around and kicked 1 of his 6 goals.

I can only guess their motto at GF is 'Never go forwards when you can go backwards." The amount of times they had the ball on the wing and then moved the ball all the way back to the backpocket was frightening.

Today they rivaled the Queensland U18 championship team for ineffective use of the ball.

The annoying thing is the GF have some talented lads who can quickly run and carry the ball and hit targets.

Very disappointing.

I always considered that TAC Cup footy was as pure a footy game as one could watch without floods, tags, forward presses or whatever. Getting 17 and 18yo's to kick it around for 10 possesions before an opening appears is just suppressing talent.

Some TAC Cup coaches just don't get it.

As stated. Very disappointing.

makes for very frustrating football the afl should do something about it

AFL Victoria run the competition, appoint the coaches etc.

If memory serves me correctly Garry Hocking as coach of the Geelong Falcons got a dressing down from AFL Victoria for overuse of the flood, in a game.

For some reason Geelong have always been a bit of a maverick, eg stirring Footyman up and a few others by playing Patrick Dangerfield in the TAC Cup who was already drafted to the Adelaide Crows.

Very disappointing.
Didn't see the game, but I'm glad you are backing me up on this Sezzy.

I see yesterday they had 409 possessions, 170 handball receives and 103 marks (9 contested).

North Ballarat had 267 possessions - and won the game!!!!

I can just see at draft time when Shifter and all these draft gurus throw stats around we'll be hearing things like "he averaged 35 possessions a game at TAC Cup level".....really average stats on the Geelong players aren't worth a grain of salt, they are going to be that inflated its not funny.

Time for AFL Victoria to step in and reprimand the Falcons in my view. The type of footy on show is crap and not what the TAC Cup is about.

Didn't see the game, but I'm glad you are backing me up on this Sezzy.

I see yesterday they had 409 possessions, 170 handball receives and 103 marks (9 contested).

North Ballarat had 267 possessions - and won the game!!!!

I can just see at draft time when Shifter and all these draft gurus throw stats around we'll be hearing things like "he averaged 35 possessions a game at TAC Cup level".....really average stats on the Geelong players aren't worth a grain of salt, they are going to be that inflated its not funny.

Time for AFL Victoria to step in and reprimand the Falcons in my view. The type of footy on show is crap and not what the TAC Cup is about.

Won't happen fm. One constant in all this - their region manager: highest profile manager in TAC. Whenever the press are looking for the next star they go running to him. Think maybe the Geelong connection with Shifter is still strong.

This week vs Stingrays.

335 poss 126 hbr 7 contested marks 80 uncontested marks.

Again a 7 gls loss.

Again the Rays just sat across the centre line and waited for the Falcons to come unstuck with over use (which they did).

Admitted it was windy and at times they were trying to run the ball out of defense but they are handball happy with hand balls outnumbering kicks 170 to 165.

I kid you not a couple of Falcon players were running out of defense with a clear field infront of them and they almost stopped dead looking to handball off to the side. :confused::confused:

The few times they decided to run straight and kick long they scored goals. Players stats for the Falcons are meaningless.

Sadly, but probably fairly, the Falcons best player in Taylor Adams will miss the next 2 TAC games due to suspension.

Reported for his tackle on Dylan Heath which saw Heath go to Hospital.

Source info from the VFL web site.

Tough on Taylor but he was struggling with a leg injury so I guess he can now get himself fit for the Combine.

Sadly, but probably fairly, the Falcons best player in Taylor Adams will miss the next 2 TAC games due to suspension.

Reported for his tackle on Dylan Heath which saw Heath go to Hospital.

Source info from the VFL web site.

Tough on Taylor but he was struggling with a leg injury so I guess he can now get himself fit for the Combine.

I saw the incident - t was a classic sling tackle - very much like what the AFL has been trying to stamp out.
If there was no injury to Heath, he would have got off - but Heath's head hit the ground really really hard, you could tell he was in a bit of trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back