News Geelong FC - 2020 season postponement updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd start a thread to post the updates from the club to the members as not all may receive these emails - it's an opportunity for all to be aware of what's happening at the club, and discuss any relevant information

The following is from an email received this afternoon:

There isn’t a lot to report about the resumption of our season but the AFL is looking at many different options to get the season up and running when the health experts give us the go ahead. There is a strong commitment by all of us to get the season back underway as soon as possible.

You may have read recently that the AFL has secured a line of credit that clubs can access during these difficult times. Like most clubs, we are likely to have some short-term issues around our cash flow, and the AFL’s very good arrangement with financiers will allow us to work our way through these difficult times.

Our plan will be to work our way through this tight period as soon as possible. The planning and execution of our club’s goals over the past 20 years has seen us enjoy great success both on and off the field while also making significant contributions to our community. The continued support of our members will be so important.

Our football department has been nimble with our players and coaches separated - but in regular touch with each other. Our coaching, conditioning and development staff, led by Simon Lloyd and Chris Scott, talk to our players often. And so, even while apart, we continue to foster and develop relationships and provide training and educational opportunities.

We have seen some amazing acts of kindness during the recent events. Supporters signing up as members for the first time, and others confirming their on-going commitment to the club.

For membership, at this stage we are unable to determine what the impact will be on your memberships but the AFL and Clubs continue to discuss a range of options for members and please be assured we will communicate further in the coming weeks when the position becomes clearer.

Our current and past directors and benefactors are providing a meals program for staff who have been stood down. Several staff have worked on this project to bring it to life with over 600 meals provided through the week.

Our club’s community department is repackaging their programs so they will be available on-line to students at the start of term two. Our players remain at the heart of our community efforts, always willing to help. In the past week alone we have seen Joel Selwood, Rhys Stanley, Luke Dahlhaus, Jack Stevens, Quinton Narkle, Nakia Cockatoo, Nathan Krueger, Blake Schlensog, and Oscar Brownless engaging across our community using electronic technology.

Many past players have been in contact with the club over the past few weeks and offered assistance. It is great to see many of our past players talking in the media and club channels about their experiences as players, bringing joy to people through their recollections of their playing days.

These are testing times for everyone, but we are encouraged by the slowing of the spreading virus. We urge you to continue to follow the health protocols.

Like you, we cannot wait for the day when Joel Selwood leads the boys out for a big game. Be assured that we are working hard to make sure that we will be back stronger than ever, and we look forward to that day.

Colin Carter - President
Brian Cook - CEO

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
For membership, at this stage we are unable to determine what the impact will be on your memberships but the AFL and Clubs continue to discuss a range of options for members and please be assured we will communicate further in the coming weeks when the position becomes clearer.

This has been the same line coming from the AFL and all Clubs since March, is it just me or is this starting to feel a little bit scummy? If you try to cancel your membership you get an email saying staff have been stood down and so replies are taking "significantly" longer to happen. And the communication of "further" options has been "weeks" away for more than a month now. Am i being overly cynical, or is this starting to feel like the AFL/Clubs trying to delay things as long as possible in hopes the season will resume soon and they wont be forced to suspend/cancel memberships en masse?

Im sure like many people out there, the decision to stop your AFL/Club membership is a tough one, but some people simply dont have the choice for atleast the next few months to carry on spending money for a product that, for that time atleast, has no value. It shouldnt be hard for the AFL/Clubs to simply say "if you need to you can suspend your membership". This should be the communication coming from the club, not this ambiguous dribble.

Personally, if given the chance I'd probably keep my membership payment this year as a donation.

But I think there is an onus on the club to offer it back.

Why I am paying monthly to get a service/product I cannot access? My gym membership was auto-paused within days of the restrictions. I didn't even have to call.

Given the members own the club, I find it pretty poor that the Club is not even engaging with members in this way.

Today's email from the club:

Dear C09,

We hope that you are doing as well as possible in these difficult times. For our part, we are hopeful about the game returning soon. The AFL is working with the State Governments and Health authorities and will provide greater clarity in the next week or so.

There has been much debate around players and staff being gathered into ‘hubs’ but this is only one of many options being considered. We will keep you up to date when more information comes to hand.

The players are doing a great job of training in isolation and stay connected to each other. We knew we had a team that invested in each other and the club. The past few weeks have proved this beyond doubt.

Regardless when the season gets back underway, AFL clubs face significant challenges – financial and wellbeing. We know that the future structure of the game and of our club will need to be determined quickly which will be stressful for everyone involved.

But we are confident in our people. We had recently completed our Five Year Strategic Plan when the pandemic hit and so we will need to reassess this work in coming weeks and months. A lot has changed. But we can promise you that we are setting ourselves for another tilt at a Flag and will also remain true to our values.

Throughout the past six weeks, the support from our members has been first class. We are still seeing people buying memberships to support the club. Our ability to remain as a vibrant and successful club rests largely on the on-going support of our members and sponsors. The feedback we have received is hugely positive and we thank you for that.

There isn’t much football news at present but we can congratulate Olivia Purcell for winning our AFLW Best & Fairest and for being selected in the AFLW All Australian Team. A great effort, Olivia!

Like you, we look forward to getting back to everyday life. Let’s keep doing the right things to eliminate the virus and we’ll get back to normal as soon as possible. Downloading the covidsafe app will help and we encourage our members to take this step.

Thanks for being with us.

Colin Carter - President
Brian Cook - CEO

Today's club correspondence...

Dear C09,

We received great news today with the government and the AFL setting a pathway for resuming the 2020 season.

Our team will begin training from Monday, although they will not be able to train as a full group. Games will recommence 11 June, and the AFL will be announcing the first few rounds next week. There is still work to be done around the fixture and it is likely that it will not be announced in full to allow for flexibility as the season goes on.

This is exciting for many reasons. Obviously we are keen to get the season underway, but most importantly it means that we have all worked together to reduce the spread of the virus.

We are still unsure whether games will be played in front of crowds later in the year. But we are confident that we will be able to play the 17 games to complete the season.

Our players have been working hard while away from the club, but they will need a few weeks of training to get into playing condition.

The club is still working through the financial implications of the season. We are still operating with a skeleton staff. The resumption of training and playing will see some staff return, particularly in the football and coaching areas.

Many staff have continued to do their bit for the club over the past two months without being paid. It shows their dedication. We have also continued to make a contribution to the community through our various programs.

Commitment to the club has also been on display from you, our members. There are so many examples of members contacting the club and pledging support. That is critical as we emerge from the shutdown. To continue as a vibrant and competitive club, we will need your support.

Next week, you will receive communication from the club with regards to your membership in 2020.

We are committed to providing our members with flexible ways to continue supporting the club through this period.

The best way to keep Geelong Strong is to maintain your membership in 2020. As an acknowledgement, members will receive additional benefits and these will be communicated next week.

Like you, we cannot wait to see the boys back playing games at GMHBA Stadium. Thank you for your continued support through these unusual times.

Yours sincerely,

Colin Carter - President
Brian Cook - CEO

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
Personally, if given the chance I'd probably keep my membership payment this year as a donation.

But I think there is an onus on the club to offer it back.

Why I am paying monthly to get a service/product I cannot access? My gym membership was auto-paused within days of the restrictions. I didn't even have to call.

Given the members own the club, I find it pretty poor that the Club is not even engaging with members in this way.
playing devil's advocate if members are 'shareholders' shouldn't they have to eat potential losses?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
playing devil's advocate if members are 'shareholders' shouldn't they have to eat potential losses?
That's a great point! I like that.
I think the club's will be more worried (membership wise) about next year TBH.
I think most can handle it this year but the real fallout is still a few months away IMO.
I can literally see it coming and happening.
Its kinda really bad for us as we're more a reserved seat revenue club than others.
We need people to be cashed up.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
That's a great point! I like that.
I think the club's will be more worried (membership wise) about next year TBH.
I think most can handle it this year but the real fallout is still a few months away IMO.
I can literally see it coming and happening.
Its kinda really bad for us as we're more a reserved seat revenue club than others.
We need people to be cashed up.
I mean you can request refunds if you want imo- but think about it as 'services not rendered' (like concerts or hotels) than from an ownership pov. Are Victorian team supporters (all of which are member-owned) more entitled to refunds than NSW teams which are AFL owned? Wouldnt have thought so.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Everyone get the email about member benefits for those that don’t cancel?

Very impressive range of freebies they’re offering. I would have kept my reserved seat even if I wasn’t offered an incentive but I understand everyone’s circumstances are different.

Yep

I just read through the email (after watching that video online) and full credit to the club with the offerings for retaining membership. I then read through the FAQs and they provide a good amount of detail about the various options for members, other relevant information etc, and continued promoting of how to contact members services for those who need to discuss things

The only "bonus/offering" that's kinda blah is the GA access to our Melbourne away games next year - I already have a home & away membership, so something I technically already had access to. But not worth complaining about - this is a s**t time for all and the club is doing their best during this period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FootyNoobie

Debutant
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone know what the "free upgrade" for 2021 means? It's annoyingly vague and there doesn't seem to be any details about it on the membership website.

edit: Just realised that people are probably offered different incentives depending on their membership. As a Melbourne 11 game GA member I was offered:

- A "free upgrade" on 2021 membership (no idea what this means though)
- $20 cats shop voucher

As well as (but I assume everyone will get this regardless of membership?):

- Price freeze for 2021
- recognition pin
- membership card recognition in 2021
- years of membership to continue

What'd other people get, out of curiosity?

Last edited:
Anyone know what the "free upgrade" for 2021 means? It's annoyingly vague and there doesn't seem to be any details about it on the membership website.

Not sure sorry - the email does advise that if you're making no changes to just sit back and they'll provide more info soon:

So, what’s next? If you’re staying Geelong Strong and happy with your 2020 Membership changes, there is nothing further you need to do. Sit back and enjoy the football. Keep an eye out for information sent to your inbox about receiving your additional benefits soon.

camppo

Rookie
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

edit: Just realised that people are probably offered different incentives depending on their membership. As a Melbourne 11 game GA member I was offered:

- $20 cats shop voucher

- Price freeze for 2021
- recognition pin

I got the same (I’m a premium interstate cats member)

Not sure what upgrade I’ll be eligible for next year but I’m not fussed. I did buy a premium interstate family membership this year with the GF ticket guarantee (which was an additional $260 per adult member). Just my luck I do it on a year there will be no fans allowed at the GF haha

I won’t ask for a refund I’ll just donate the membership and kick on again in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Catter

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

- $20 cats shop voucher

- Price freeze for 2021
- recognition pin

I was lucky enough to also get a signed guernsey, 150 dollar voucher at the club, and a bottle of Jack Rabbit. The club has been fantastic rewarding the members.

Jemaine

All Australian
Mar 17, 2009
Inner City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toothbrush Jars & Camera Phones
'Guarantee to renew your social club membership in 2021'

Is this a thinly-veiled threat saying should I choose to donate the membership but request the ~$600 social club money back that I'll lose my spot in the social club after being in there for 20 years?

'Guarantee to renew your social club membership in 2021'

Is this a thinly-veiled threat saying should I choose to donate the membership but request the ~$600 social club money back that I'll lose my spot in the social club after being in there for 20 years?

May be best to contact them and discuss things - I know with mine it says guarantee to renew my seat in 2021, which according to the FAQs can be done even with a membership downgrade this year. This is what the Covid FAQs says:

Applying a partial refund or a downgrade to your existing Membership, still means that you are a Geelong Cats Member. The membership you downgrade to for the 2020 AFL Season will be what you are recognised as for that season only. Your consecutive years of Membership will carry on. The refund amount will vary dependent on Membership upheld.

The lowest Membership you can hold to guarantee the renewal of your 2021 Reserved Seat is to downgrade to a $60 Non Access Membership. This will mean for the 2020 AFL Season you are recognised as a Non Access Member but have the option to renew your Reserved Seat in 2021.

For more information please contact our Membership Team at membership@geelongcats.com.au or 1300 462 287.

---

I'd contact them to discuss what your options are

King Cat

Debutant
Jul 30, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I’m really disappointed in the clubs offer. I understand they are in a really tough position though. Personally I pay around $1200 for me and my 2 kids membership and seat. What they are offering for me to donate that is really inadequate.

My partner had her business collapse due to covid 19 and not 2 days after all the shot hit the fan with everything closing down I had the footy club ringing me to buy farrow tickets off them. I was disgusted as people were losing their jobs businesses were closing and they ring with their hand out amid all of that. I thought it was a bad look and told them so.

I also think the idea of a recognition pin is a shocker. You watch all the heroes thinking they are better than those that don’t have one getting around games thinking they have saved the world.

I’ve been a member for many years and will be again. But I just can’t afford to give away $1200 and this point and for the club to put the guilts on there members to donate their membership is not ideal for mine. I reckon for mine the club has always got its hand out to its members and gives little back. They are just like any other business who is doing it tough. Plenty of business have had to borrow money to survive and lay off staff but are not lucky enough to be part of a massive organisation that is helping them. They will need to suck it up like all the other battlers out there.

So even though I can’t afford to donate my $1200 unfortunately I will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back