News Geelong FC - 2020 season postponement updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the money, it is not a good deal. Clearly. And compared to gyms, concerts etc who automatically refunded, it's not great either.

The only thing tipping me toward still donating anyway is the incredibly good times the cats have given me over the last twenty years.

I would love to know where all the money goes, especially over the last 5 years or so, when the GFC has conspicuously pivoted to become more "business" than "club", and also a bit more about the individuals than the team.

And for the next 5 years, every time Geelong complains about the fixturing, the AFL will tell them they have to make up for all those home games they got in 2020.
All home games should be at KP at least until there is a vaccine,isn't that how it works. :)

Can anyone explain how it possibly cost the footy club $30 per member to refund a membership. Cost me $90 in admin fees just to get my money back back. Surely this is a money grab it can’t possibly cost that much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm guessing that the following is something that may be of interest to others - the club has started rolling out the "Geelong Strong additional Membership benefits", and providing info as to when other items will become available:

Dear C09,

Thank you for staying Geelong Strong with us in 2020. The courage and commitment you have shown has been inspirational.

This year has presented challenges like no other. There's no coincidence that the support of our Geelong Strong Members has flowed through into pride, support and strength our players are showing on the field.

We are far from done in 2020 and as we strive to reach our goal of holding the Premiership Cup, we use the energy of our proud Geelong Strong Membership base to push us forward.

We communicated updates to your 2020 Membership with you earlier this year. Below is a timeline of when you can expect to receive your Geelong Strong additional Membership benefits:

Receive Now:
- Cats Shop gift voucher*

Early Nov Communications:
- Confirmation of 2021 Price Freeze
- Consecutive Years Membership
- Guarantee to renew seat

End 2020:
- Receive your recognition pin

In 2021:
- Collect your signed guernsey
- Name listed on exclusive recognition wall**

*One thing to note with the gift voucher; This voucher can be used online or inshore, redeemable on Cotton On or New Era products

** All Geelong Strong Members will be listed on a commemorative Recognition Wall in 2021. There is an opt out option for those who don't wish to be included

I'm guessing that the following is something that may be of interest to others - the club has started rolling out the "Geelong Strong additional Membership benefits", and providing info as to when other items will become available:

Dear C09,

Thank you for staying Geelong Strong with us in 2020. The courage and commitment you have shown has been inspirational.

This year has presented challenges like no other. There's no coincidence that the support of our Geelong Strong Members has flowed through into pride, support and strength our players are showing on the field.

We are far from done in 2020 and as we strive to reach our goal of holding the Premiership Cup, we use the energy of our proud Geelong Strong Membership base to push us forward.

We communicated updates to your 2020 Membership with you earlier this year. Below is a timeline of when you can expect to receive your Geelong Strong additional Membership benefits:

Receive Now:
- Cats Shop gift voucher*

Early Nov Communications:
- Confirmation of 2021 Price Freeze
- Consecutive Years Membership
- Guarantee to renew seat

End 2020:
- Receive your recognition pin

In 2021:
- Collect your signed guernsey
- Name listed on exclusive recognition wall**

*One thing to note with the gift voucher; This voucher can be used online or inshore, redeemable on Cotton On or New Era products

** All Geelong Strong Members will be listed on a commemorative Recognition Wall in 2021. There is an opt out option for those who don't wish to be included

Do you know how long the voucher is valid for? The online shop seems to be full of S and 4XL sized items lol

So you know how long the voucher is valid for? The online shop seems to be full of S and 4XL sized items lol

Always happens this time of year that it's the extremes which are available, compared with more standard sizes - hopefully they'll get more stuff in sick over the next couple of months to make the voucher worthwhile using

The voucher is valid until 5pm on 31/12/2020 and must be redeemed before then. Vouchers can be used instore or online.

Do you know how long the voucher is valid for? The online shop seems to be full of S and 4XL sized items lol
Always happens this time of year that it's the extremes which are available, compared with more standard sizes - hopefully they'll get more stuff in sick over the next couple of months to make the voucher worthwhile using

The voucher is valid until 5pm on 31/12/2020 and must be redeemed before then. Vouchers can be used instore or online.

The new merchandise lines tend to be launched towards November-December of each year in time for Christmas, so there should be a window to use the voucher on some 2021 or summer apparel

Any word on when new season merchandise comes out? Voucher runs out soon and it has been pretty slim pickings for a while now........
I went in to the Cats shop late last month to use my voucher and it's a bit of an unknown about new merchandise - they've been unable to get new stock in due to the impact of covid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when does the 2020 membership voucher we got run out?

I got 2 to use..

GO Catters

when does the 2020 membership voucher we got run out?

I got 2 to use..

GO Catters

End of the year

The Club can cancel a voucher if it has reason to believe that the voucher holder is in breach of these terms and conditions. The voucher is valid until 5pm on 31/12/2020 and must be redeemed before then. Vouchers can be used instore or online.

Personally, if given the chance I'd probably keep my membership payment this year as a donation.

But I think there is an onus on the club to offer it back.

Why I am paying monthly to get a service/product I cannot access? My gym membership was auto-paused within days of the restrictions. I didn't even have to call.

Given the members own the club, I find it pretty poor that the Club is not even engaging with members in this way.

The reality is we’ve become walking wallets to them now. There really is no other relationship anymore.

Same thing happened with my gym too.

The reality is we’ve become walking wallets to them now. There really is no other relationship anymore.

Same thing happened with my gym too.
I get the impression that the club thinks the members exist to serve it, when actually the club exists to serve the members.

I get the impression that the club thinks the members exist to serve it, when actually the club exists to serve the members.

I get completely the financial pressure clubs are under now. But it's partly their own doing. The infamous image of who knows how many assistants at Essendon. The story I heard of Brad Scott flying to America for a pre-season camp and coming back after a few days. No one forces them to do that. How many non-jobs exist at footy clubs now? Probably plenty.

It's one thing to drive memberships. It's another to appear to be consumed by naked greed. People won't keep paying forever if there's little reward for them.

I get completely the financial pressure clubs are under now. But it's partly their own doing. The infamous image of who knows how many assistants at Essendon. The story I heard of Brad Scott flying to America for a pre-season camp and coming back after a few days. No one forces them to do that. How many non-jobs exist at footy clubs now? Probably plenty.

It's one thing to drive memberships. It's another to appear to be consumed by naked greed. People won't keep paying forever if there's little reward for them.
There's been massive waste for sure and it really annoyed me hearing clubs (especially ours) trying to pretend like they were going to go broke from Corona. Just f**king lies when there were some businesses in trouble for real.
I see it two ways.
For myself it's sort of who cares? I'm an adult. I can take it or leave it.
If it's too dear to go to KP (even if you have a membership) then just don't go.
And I don't.
My kids aren't that into footy and don't even go for Geelong.
I grew up with f**k all games on live TV and now they all are.
+ our club has gotten rid of pokies and don't advertise odds at the ground. I admire that.
Take the good with the bad.
On the other hand I feel bad for parents who's kids are obsessed with the club.
Unless it's a real low drawing game there's not enough room in the Ablett terrace to bring kids and still have a good time so you've gotta buy seats for everyone and if you don't earn enough your not going to go.
It's the same for Perth and Adelaide teams. Kind of creating an ongoing football watching elite.
But with our club they are far too ambitious in trying to create this in Geelong.
It is going to be a long time till they can fill a stadium this size consistently with paid reserved seats. And that's not even counting the economy and how well the teams going.
Pricing people out (especially kids) in a regional town in a stadium they preety much got for free from taxpayers money is not great, and is probably going to lose a lot of kids, who will one day grow up and have the money to buy a membership.
It's not a just a moral thing it's actually a poor buisness model IMO.
Anyway another rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back