Review Geelong Football Club 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

With the club seemingly devoting so much energy into getting the final stages of the redevelopment complete, I reckon they need to push harder and make the message crystal clear that it's 11 home games at Kardinia Park, especially when we're being told that a dip in performance will bankrupt the club, yet it's a well-known fact that we make more at Kardinia Park games than even a packed MCG.

No more nonsense about thanking the AFL for 'giving' us nine, when every other team is getting more than that. It's probably my biggest bugbear about the club.

NO. We need games at MCG.

But, when we play home games like to see OUR home strip. Only OUR home strip. OUR home strip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Overall, for me this year has been a success - because improvement finally came from quarters where I did not expect it to come.

Ratugolea and Henry came from absolutely nowhere, and I really like the look of Narkle and Fogarty too. Kelly was of course a revelation.

I thought we were somewhere between 6th and 8th as a list, so to go out to Melbourne like that was disappointing but not unexpected. But this has been the first evidence of green shoots I've seen at this club for a while.

Overall, for me this year has been a success - because improvement finally came from quarters where I did not expect it to come.

Ratugolea and Henry came from absolutely nowhere, and I really like the look of Narkle and Fogarty too. Kelly was of course a revelation.

I thought we were somewhere between 6th and 8th as a list, so to go out to Melbourne like that was disappointing but not unexpected. But this has been the first evidence of green shoots I've seen at this club for a while.

Id agree on the kids ..that has been positive ... but one only has to watch Melb play ..we have the odd green shoot... the have a paddock full of grass

We now have to transition our gun player in to lesser roles... think about Jones in the Melb side... how took the brunt of it for years... now he is just a link in the chain. So we need to keep adding aggressive mids who are young and full of vigour and vinegar..and we need to also add leadership potential ..something we in dire need of.

Id agree on the kids ..that has been positive ... but one only has to watch Melb play ..we have the odd green shoot... the have a paddock full of grass

We now have to transition our gun player in to lesser roles... think about Jones in the Melb side... how took the brunt of it for years... now he is just a link in the chain. So we need to keep adding aggressive mids who are young and full of vigour and vinegar..and we need to also add leadership potential ..something we in dire need of.
Yes, but it clicked suddenly. They were all over the ship last year. Jones is a great player and I hope he gets what he has worked for so hard for all those shitfull years.

Get leading teams in because leadership is at an all time low

a bit of fire walking and tree hugging... ..
It might seem like happy clapping to us old school types, but all the best elite sports people learn ways to control their emotions.
Some use meditation, others use versions of mindfulness (whatever that actually means). But it does work.
Look at Kyrgios. He could be anything, but he refuses to take any outside direction.
Now look at Richmond who are currently using a semi-meditative type of program that helps them to get the most out of their talents.
It ain't ju ju if it works!

It might seem like happy clapping to us old school types, but all the best elite sports people learn ways to control their emotions.
Some use meditation, others use versions of mindfulness (whatever that actually means). But it does work.
Look at Kyrgios. He could be anything, but he refuses to take any outside direction.
Now look at Richmond who are currently using a semi-meditative type of program that helps them to get the most out of their talents.
It ain't ju ju if it works!

Individual sports and teams sport like afl are almost incomparable ... Cricket seems something in the middle having all the good and bad of both.
Tennis is prime example of the "all about me" mindset that can be let loose..

Individual sports and teams sport like afl are almost incomparable ... Cricket seems something in the middle having all the good and bad of both.
Tennis is prime example of the "all about me" mindset that can be let loose..
You're right, it's more apt to compare Richmond with a team like Carlton...or us.

All clubs every year conduct a review. What made the post 2006 season review so effective was that it involved experts from outside the club. Remember that even after the review the first few games in 2007 still showed that there were issues that needed to be dealt with and Chappy famously lanced that boil on TV and in front of his team mates. From there we became a juggernaut.

If this review is lead by Cooky then I am concerned. One of the criticisms of the club is why was the coach given a contract extension when finals (which we were not certain of reaching) were so close. Does anyone think that decision will be looked at impartially if Cooky (I love the man btw) is overseeing the actual review?

Leading Teams (or similar) must be involved otherwise it could be papering over the cracks.

That would be the question what would the guidelines of the review detail. Is it overall from CEO down. Is it coaching related ? Is it player focused only the guys doing the hiring will be able to answer those questions personally it sounds like the budgets too tight to fork out a 100g when cookie wants the stadium built lol.

What I will say about leading teams scenario in 2007 was we had a super talented team to work with. We had lots of ability our losses in 2005 were to Brisbane by under 10 points prelim top 4 finish. And we would be beaten port that year lol.

Then we lost Sydney in the semi to a nick Davis miracle. Sydney went on to win the flag

I remember 2006 geelong, hawthorn, port were all outside the 8. 10,11,12th

Still it worked and haven't looked back was the right move at the time. But like you it would all depend on what your looking to review. Because I don't believe at the moment we have a side or list on the cusp of greatness unfortunately. It's more a business model so our competitiveness from year to year seems to be driving the direction the list managers etc have to take.

If money was not a factor or if everything was building towards a premiership. The list management may look very different. But who knows could of been worse better. I personally think that's why it would be difficult for leading teams at the present time. On field probably touch and go, perhaps from a club business perspective it's a complete win

The 6 6 6 rule changes will assist us heaps imo. We just need to keep the appropriate players like Murdoch, and get Cocky fit, and Stanley fit. GAJ, Danger, Duncan and JSelwood will benefit greatly.
I can see that rule not helping Tigers.

That's true, but access to kids like Weidemann, Hogan, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Salem etc is just something we can't dream of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 6 6 6 rule changes will assist us heaps imo. We just need to keep the appropriate players like Murdoch, and get Cocky fit, and Stanley fit. GAJ, Danger, Duncan and JSelwood will benefit greatly.
Is it really going ahead?

NO. We need games at MCG.

But, when we play home games like to see OUR home strip. Only OUR home strip. OUR home strip

There is an argument that the so called passive crowd at KP.. is in part becuase that ground rarely gets the games the teach the crowd to be other wize.. Thats not to say all games are ordinary just that it quite often lacks the uild up... think the build up a HawkCat fight has or that StKilda game years ago ..The occasion blockbuster vibe has an affect that generate a more up tempo crowd.

And as you say.. from a dollars POV we do well at KP. The las I heard..it is possible to do better at the G with a very full ground.. but I have not heard figures recently from Cook on that sort of thing. It would have been a good thing to get KRock to ask him. Certainly "Marvel" is a dollar loss every time we play there.

I also think that we should be very aware of the benefit of playing games at the G. That when we fail there , it is a KPI that we should learn from.. we should have a game that works on both grounds. Geelong when they have been at their best , have always played well at the G and just playing there in front 60-75 gives us a prep that is important. I watched a very talented GWS look like bumbling fumbling novices ..they to me just do not play enough big games. They would be a better side playing in front of packed crowds, with more media build up , with more pressure... I listen to GC players like Barlow ..its obvious they have it a bit easier in that respect till all from no where they are thrown in the deep end.

You at times are a very optimistic person. I think the intent of 666 is good.. but it basically 15 seconds/30 at the most till its no long longer relevant. How long does it take a tasked player to run from the wing to D?

I would have preferred ... to increase the size of the square.. perhaps take a player out from each side.. make it easier to clear the centre in a situation where the ground is the most spread. The way Gawn can tap to a Melb player would have a super charge affect on them to show its worth and the worth of a great ruck. Now more often than not , less rucks are encouraged to just tap it to ground , wait for the troops to arrive and lets make it a maul.

I dont believe the extended goal rectangle will do anything . Is was not a square before.. it certainly will not one now. The AFl are tinkers.. and are unable to get past the inside voices that are conflicted. Why else would you try all this garbage... and not try some games with ZERO interchange. If you want evidence of what will happen take interchange back to zero.. any affect will the be obvious..and you can walk it back to 20-50 from there.Yet that was not even considered. Some bodies have too much power.

Personally I think the game has evolved so that the truth of game theory can not be put back in the bottle. What worked in the past came from an era of Tue and Thur training.. the fitness of the average player , the talent etc.. all meant that there was a natural demand to keep the players spread. Then as it became more professional it gradually changed I can remember Allan Jeans happily advancing how they worked at players at the contest , out number your opponent.. when one side does something it quite often gains great benefit but does one want everyone doing it. Doesnt the USA hate the idea.. of every other nation having Nuclear knowledge and ability? Like some sort of bodyline knightmare.. where we are now at the end stage of players at the contest. Its a u10's contest till there is a burst and spread. I watched the VFLW yesterday. Unfortunately I did not think much of it , most could not do much more than kick it to another mess... but what great effort no one could doubt their endeavour.

So im negative about these rule changes.. the goal "square" will be an obscenity on our eyes. The benefit of 666 will be marginal... but we will see.

Get leading teams in because leadership is at an all time low

Leading teams is not a magic wand that changes teams attitude and mindset. They were effective in 2006 because the team back then were behaving in a completely unprofessional manner off field that impacted their performance.

The current team is incredibly professional off field.

Leading teams is a lot like the training camps that teams go on. It assists in bonding the team and setting them on a collective path.

And Melbourne didn’t even go on a training camp. Adelaide went on one and were fractured as a team from it.

“Bring Leading Teams in” is not simply a catchall solution.

Before leading teams or any sort of team building program is utilised, I’d be focusing more our ability to keep players on the field and not get injured. This was the big chink in our armour this year. Multiple soft tissue injuries and Inability to rehabilitate effectively from them and be back in the team.

You at times are a very optimistic person. I think the intent of 666 is good.. but it basically 15 seconds/30 at the most till its no long longer relevant. How long does it take a tasked player to run from the wing to D?

I would have preferred ... to increase the size of the square.. perhaps take a player out from each side.. make it easier to clear the centre in a situation where the ground is the most spread. The way Gawn can tap to a Melb player would have a super charge affect on them to show its worth and the worth of a great ruck. Now more often than not , less rucks are encouraged to just tap it to ground , wait for the troops to arrive and lets make it a maul.

I dont believe the extended goal rectangle will do anything . Is was not a square before.. it certainly will not one now. The AFl are tinkers.. and are unable to get past the inside voices that are conflicted. Why else would you try all this garbage... and not try some games with ZERO interchange. If you want evidence of what will happen take interchange back to zero.. any affect will the be obvious..and you can walk it back to 20-50 from there.Yet that was not even considered. Some bodies have too much power.

Personally I think the game has evolved so that the truth of game theory can not be put back in the bottle. What worked in the past came from an era of Tue and Thur training.. the fitness of the average player , the talent etc.. all meant that there was a natural demand to keep the players spread. Then as it became more professional it gradually changed I can remember Allan Jeans happily advancing how they worked at players at the contest , out number your opponent.. when one side does something it quite often gains great benefit but does one want everyone doing it. Doesnt the USA hate the idea.. of every other nation having Nuclear knowledge and ability? Like some sort of bodyline knightmare.. where we are now at the end stage of players at the contest. Its a u10's contest till there is a burst and spread. I watched the VFLW yesterday. Unfortunately I did not think much of it , most could not do much more than kick it to another mess... but what great effort no one could doubt their endeavour.

So im negative about these rule changes.. the goal "square" will be an obscenity on our eyes. The benefit of 666 will be marginal... but we will see.
666 is the rule of the devil.
But seriously, like many of the AFL's knee-jerk rule introductions, it will take only a few games for coaches to work their way around any supposed "benefits".
A discussion on ABC radio on the weekend pointed out that the actual numbers the AFL have used to make their decision on the rule changes have been misused and skewed to support their position. (This came from the guy who wrote "Footballistics".)
Is anybody surprised?

Leading teams is not a magic wand that changes teams attitude and mindset. They were effective in 2006 because the team back then were behaving in a completely unprofessional manner off field that impacted their performance.

The current team is incredibly professional off field.

Leading teams is a lot like the training camps that teams go on. It assists in bonding the team and setting them on a collective path.

And Melbourne didn’t even go on a training camp. Adelaide went on one and were fractured as a team from it.

“Bring Leading Teams in” is not simply a catchall solution.

Before leading teams or any sort of team building program is utilised, I’d be focusing more our ability to keep players on the field and not get injured. This was the big chink in our armour this year. Multiple soft tissue injuries and Inability to rehabilitate effectively from them and be back in the team.
Leading Teams don't have one size fit all solutions. They would assess what the problem is first (and it's hard to argue we don't have a problem or two), so it wouldn't be the same program that was introduced back then.
As long as we don't bring in that mob that sabotaged Adelaide's season.

Leading Teams don't have one size fit all solutions. They would assess what the problem is first (and it's hard to argue we don't have a problem or two), so it wouldn't be the same program that was introduced back then.
As long as we don't bring in that mob that sabotaged Adelaide's season.
Leading teams just facilitate player/team focus. There are a lot of ways that this has happened for successful teams.

What did Hawthorn do for their success? What did Western Bulldogs do? Or Richmond? Adelaide were very successful in 2017 but imploded in 2018. It’s only hindsight that determines the success of the hundreds of varied means of developing competitive advantage that all clubs employee every year.

Leading teams just facilitate player/team focus. There are a lot of ways that this has happened for successful teams.

What did Hawthorn do for their success? What did Western Bulldogs do? Or Richmond? Adelaide were very successful in 2017 but imploded in 2018. It’s only hindsight that determines the success of the hundreds of varied means of developing competitive advantage that all clubs employee every year.
Yes. But I prefer to know that our club is actually doing something.
Doesn't have to be Leading Teams, it can be a pep talk from Daryl Sommers for all I care - as long as it works.

The biggest question is why the coach was re signed on a long term deal just prior to the review
We had 2 choices at the end of this season: 1) Extend Scott's contract; OR 2) Sack Scott

We (rightly so) were never going to sack Scott, so extending his contract was the right thing to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back