Review Geelong Football Club 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no half decent ruckman since Ottens (7 years). Stanley isn't a ruckman. He has to position his body so awkwardly in attempting to compete with the better ruckman, that he inevitably injures himself. Make him a centre halfback, get rid of Henderson. Spend big on a 25-28 year old with a noticable history of few injuries. Hell, get Mason Cox, the Pies will happily trade him after this finals series (he's not a forward). Midfield caught out as a failing combination. Joel Selwood down back, get rid of Bews. Ablett to half forward flank, get rid of Murdoch. Give 1-2 mid spots to the youth. Get rid of Scott Selwood. If Hawkins goes off the boil, drop him straight away to the 2's for a couple of weeks. Savrat as CHF.

Last edited:
Still no half decent ruckman since Ottens (7 years). Stanley isn't a ruckman. He has to position his body so awkwardly in attempting to compete with the better ruckman, that he inevitably injures himself. Make him a centre halfback, get rid of Henderson. Spend big on a 25-28 year old with a noticable history of few injuries. Hell, get Mason Cox, the Pies will happily trade him after this finals series (he's not a forward). Midfield caught out as a failing combination. Joel Selwood down back, get rid of Bews. Ablett to half forward flank, get rid of Murdoch. Give 1-2 mid spots to the youth. Get rid of Scott Selwood. If Hawkins goes off the boil, drop him straight away to the 2's for a couple of weeks. Savrat as CHF.
I’ve heard it all.

Yibbida Yibbida thats all folks

I would like to see Guthrie, Duncan and Kelly to start in the middle next year as first choice, then rotate with Parfitt, Joel, Danger and Menegola. Yablett has to play either half forward or in the pocket.
I would like to see Danger finish his career as a FF, Selwood HBF, GAJ HFF
I would like to see Dylan Shiel head our MF, with Parfitt, Duncan, Kelly, Guthrie and Menegola, and SS staying put as our centreman.

What I find bizarre is how people try to give credit to Matthew Scarlett for our defensive game plan. Matthew Scarlett is not responsible for how the team defends overall as an 18 man unit on the field; that is scotts job to come up with the greater defensive game plan. Scarlett is not the one responsible for our defensive plans put in place, this is all C Scott.

Positives:
Managed to strategically take a young inexperienced defense and become the lowest scored team against in the AFL. Fantastic achievement.

Made the finals again.

Emergence of great young stars.

Negatives:

Probably have the worst forward line in the AFL; which is largely responsible for our game plan which revolves around trying to protect and compensate for our very poor forward half. Hence the lack of applied pressure as this is not a game plan we are capable of executing with the forward fifty personnel ws have in our side.

The Stanley biodynamics have some legals but the rest is open for debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upload_2018-9-20_9-28-52.png

What I find bizarre is how people try to give credit to Matthew Scarlett for our defensive game plan. Matthew Scarlett is not responsible for how the team defends overall as an 18 man unit on the field; that is scotts job to come up with the greater defensive game plan. Scarlett is not the one responsible for our defensive plans put in place, this is all C Scott.

Positives:
Managed to strategically take a young inexperienced defense and become the lowest scored team against in the AFL. Fantastic achievement.

Made the finals again.

Negatives:

Probably have the worst forward line in the AFL; which is largely responsible for our game plan which revolves around trying to protect and compensate for our very poor forward half. Hence the lack of applied pressure as this is not a game plan we are capable of executing with the forward fifty personnel ws have in our side.

So does Chris Scott need to take 100% responsibility for Geelongs lack of forward pressure (which is a defensive trait)?. The midfields lack of 2 way running, or more accurately, their defensive running?.

So does Chris Scott need to take 100% responsibility for Geelongs lack of forward pressure (which is a defensive trait)?. The midfields lack of 2 way running, or more accurately, their defensive running?.

We have very large gaping holes in our best 22, especially the forward line which lacks the ability to apply any pressure and lacks talent in general. I feel a lot of our game plan has revolved around protecting a very very average forward line from being exposed heavily on rebounds, which will always mean we have holes in our game plans when we lack the players.

Positives:

Made the finals again.

Negatives:

Not so. According to the wisdom of BF posters and what we hear Scott say he doesn't develop the players. But if he does then why can he only develop the players and the game plan for the backline.
Scarlett is the backline coach and was the one to suggest Tuohy in the forward line against Melbourne. Enright is the forwards coach and injuries aside , there hasn't been much success there. He thinks like a backman, as does CS, and that doesn't translate to kicking goals. We need a forwards coach -where are you Pods????

We have very large gaping holes in our best 22, especially the forward line which lacks the ability to apply any pressure and lacks talent in general. I feel a lot of our game plan has revolved around protecting a very very average forward line from being exposed heavily on rebounds, which will always mean we have holes in our game plans when we lack the players.

My concern and obviously others is our inability to develop any of these deficient ‘traits’ such that we need to recruit in from those who have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concern and obviously others is our inability to develop any of these deficient ‘traits’ such that we need to recruit in from those who have.

This just all goes back to the ideology of entitlement and privilege that 07-11 has caused in some supporters.

And what exactly do you mean we can’t develop these traits?? Every player who has come in from other clubs baring injuries has career best form at Geelong. This is proof he can develop better than others.

Some players are just not good enough, you can’t polish a turd is the old saying.

This new aged Geelong attitude of privilege and entitlement from 07-11 is just a strong cultural toxic that has gone through some of the pessimistic supporter base that I am very glad an intelligent man like cook quickly laughed off and called it as keyboard warriors.

Reflecting on our year, we had a lot of class players down on their average output & yet, we still made the final 8.

Also had a lot of young players introduced, every one of those displayed something that showed why they were recruited.

Agree with others that our fwd line needs restructuring but looking forward to the draft period and the next season.

This just all goes back to the ideology of entitlement and privilege that 07-11 has caused in some supporters.

And what exactly do you mean we can’t develop these traits?? Every player who has come in from other clubs baring injuries has career best form at Geelong. This is proof he can develop better than others.

Some players are just not good enough, you can’t polish a turd is the old saying.

This new aged Geelong attitude of privilege and entitlement from 07-11 is just a strong cultural toxic that has gone through some of the pessimistic supporter base that I am very glad an intelligent man like cook quickly laughed off and called it as keyboard warriors.

Well thats a bit harsh. Calling anyone who even raises a critique as a keyboard warrior was harsh and probably not directed at bf supporters :)

I personally have no sense of entitlement and I doubt those that critique the club around workable issues are either for the most part anyway; its mostly therapy I take it as. Supporting a footy club is tough and part of the enjoyment is crapping on about it.

What people are saying, friend, is that the strategy that most bought into hasn't worked out as hoped and everyone saw that including management hence they acted. Those terrible keyboard warriors would be going spare if hadn't.

I doubt Cook woke up sat morning and saw a heap of commentary on BF and thought gosh we need to do something here; or that he acted in spite of it! No he saw what everyone else saw and he knows better than us what it is they have said they will do and how they will do it; none of which was evident that Friday night.

"We can't develop traits"- that is in relation to the previous message and it referenced our inability to teach defensive traits or to develop the midfield cohesion, one which Ling amongst others identified as to be a problem with the coaching in the club podcasts. These traits have not been developed into this team, the lack of pressure in the Melbourne game was obvious but really our pressure based on defensive acts is sort of not there most of the time. It took years with the previous group and Scott has been asked about it allot this year. Can they be taught or are they innate? I would say they are mostly taught, developed if you like. I am a little uncomfortable with the over emphasis on list management as the problem when I'd prefer to hear that it and other components need addressing.

As to career best form by those that have joined the club from elsewhere; well I wasn't talking about them but yes you could look at them. All of them have improvement in them: Paddy's kicking, has that improved in his time at Geelong?

That is offensive, the rest pretty interesting.
Bews is a must keep imo.
Give Hendo a full preseason, and he'll be that intercept marker we use so well.
Murdoch is a depth player and in some ways a barometer

Reflecting on our year, we had a lot of class players down on their average output & yet, we still made the final 8.

Also had a lot of young players introduced, every one of those displayed something that showed why they were recruited.

Agree with others that our fwd line needs restructuring but looking forward to the draft period and the next season.
True.
And we tried 40 players this year. Unheard of and still made the 8.

What BS on all points. Cook would do well to respect all members and supporters. He needs our $s.

We definitely need to review our management of younger , developing players.
By playing Parsons and Guthrie despite poor form, when they should have been VFL , we have destroyed their confidence.
Cunico racks up a heap of the ball , gives us defensive pressure and run - we drop him after his "worst" game which still served up 15 odd possies - then we play Kolo on the wing in the final despite his best footy being in defence all year.
Thurlow...... never got a clear run of games to cement his spot , kid has it but we haven't been able to unlock it yet.
Henry - thank god the kid is resilient as we could have shaken him up by playing defence , forward and relief ruck.

There is a lot of talent coming through - we can't waste it with poor development :(

With the players we have, plus the home ground, making the 8 should have been a formality. We limped in on the back of two slaughters of VFL-quality teams. The reality is we dropped six places on the ladder with our home and away finish.
The draw is inequitable, we played Hawks, Demons twice and they were top 8 this year.As well as Tigers twice, Swans twice...
When we played those 2 bottom teams made that final top 8 position look like we just made it. Had we played those teams prior to the Tigers, Hawks games we could have already been entrenched in the 8- just timing.
We did drop spots, but overall in H & A probably played better as evidenced by a better % and that feeling that we were all year never out of any match, barring Essendon.

We definitely need to review our management of younger , developing players.
By playing Parsons and Guthrie despite poor form, when they should have been VFL , we have destroyed their confidence.
Cunico racks up a heap of the ball , gives us defensive pressure and run - we drop him after his "worst" game which still served up 15 odd possies - then we play Kolo on the wing in the final despite his best footy being in defence all year.
Thurlow...... never got a clear run of games to cement his spot , kid has it but we haven't been able to unlock it yet.
Henry - thank god the kid is resilient as we could have shaken him up by playing defence , forward and relief ruck.

There is a lot of talent coming through - we can't waste it with poor development :(

Not sure the poor development charge stacks up.
Parsons was given a couple of chances this year which he didn't grab. He finished the year in the VFL.
Zuthrie has been developing in the VFL for most of the year, where most think he needs to be at this stage.
Cunico? You don't think a young player might have just run out of legs towards the end of a season? (Also Narkle, Fogarty)
Kolo has had a good year. Certainly better than last.
Thurlow is a different case. I like him and I'm not sure what's going on there.
Henry. No problems at all with how he's developing.

The draw is inequitable, we played Hawks, Demons twice and they were top 8 this year.As well as Tigers twice, Swans twice...
When we played those 2 bottom teams made that final top 8 position look like we just made it. Had we played those teams prior to the Tigers, Hawks games we could have already been entrenched in the 8- just timing.
We did drop spots, but overall in H & A probably played better as evidenced by a better % and that feeling that we were all year never out of any match, barring Essendon.
Yep we were highly competitive in every match except Essendon.
The final was easily our worst match of the year.
It wouldn't have mattered if we finished first TBH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back