Review Geelong Football Club 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure the poor development charge stacks up.
Parsons was given a couple of chances this year which he didn't grab. He finished the year in the VFL.
Zuthrie has been developing in the VFL for most of the year, where most think he needs to be at this stage.
Cunico? You don't think a young player might have just run out of legs towards the end of a season? (Also Narkle, Fogarty)
Kolo has had a good year. Certainly better than last.
Thurlow is a different case. I like him and I'm not sure what's going on there.
Henry. No problems at all with how he's developing.

Maybe I've used the wrong description - young player management might be better than development :)

Cunico racked up massive possessions in the 2's after he was dropped - don't think legs were the issue.
Guthrie and Parsons played far too many games when badly out of form.
Kolo had a great year ...in defence... why play him on the wing V Dees?

Maybe I've used the wrong description - young player management might be better than development :)

Cunico racked up massive possessions in the 2's after he was dropped - don't think legs were the issue.
Fair enough, but we aren't privy to Cunico's first year plan/programme
Guthrie only played 7 and Parsons 11. (Agree it was a few too many for James)
And Kolo was more a case of trying to fit too many older players in the backline syndrome.

And Kolo was more a case of trying to fit too many older players in the backline syndrome.
Cunico said in a recent interview he was dropped to work on the defensive side of his game.

Cunico has been on the list for around 3 years.
Agree on the last bit.

It's an unusual habit of Scott's. A player in decent form is displaced from a position, for example by a returning veteran. But Scott doesn't have the heart to just make the tough call and omit the player so he shifts the player into a different, less suitable role at the expense of other players who can play that different role better. It's a real weakness of Scotts, and I hope it's identified in the review.

It's an unusual habit of Scott's. A player in decent form is displaced from a position, for example by a returning veteran. But Scott doesn't have the heart to just make the tough call and omit the player so he shifts the player into a different, less suitable role at the expense of other players who can play that different role better. It's a real weakness of Scotts, and I hope it's identified in the review.

Similar theme but selection this year was bewildering at times

The two games I saw live were perplexing to say the least :

> Eagles over here - didn't select a ruck :( Went with an extremely raw Sav and Blitz. Sav was cooked by 1/2 time , Blitz rucked in the last and got spanked - it also let their tall forwards off the chain in the last. Nic Nat leads the charge for the win

> Tigers ( first game) - tried to do a Tigers and go with Tom as the sole tall forward. Particularly hilarious when Tom was on the bench or rucking to see Gregson , Fog and Macca try to pack mark ( we do bomb it long) against the Tiges talls. As an added bonus we play an underprepared Zuthrie who coughs up 2-3 goals in the last 1/4

Similar theme but selection this year was bewildering at times

The two games I saw live were perplexing to say the least :

> Eagles over here - didn't select a ruck :( Went with an extremely raw Sav and Blitz. Sav was cooked by 1/2 time , Blitz rucked in the last and got spanked - it also let their tall forwards off the chain in the last. Nic Nat leads the charge for the win

> Tigers ( first game) - tried to do a Tigers and go with Tom as the sole tall forward. Particularly hilarious when Tom was on the bench or rucking to see Gregson , Fog and Macca try to pack mark ( we do bomb it long) against the Tiges talls. As an added bonus we play an underprepared Zuthrie who coughs up 2-3 goals in the last 1/4
I agree - bewildering.
Perhaps trying to be too clever and throw the opposition off guard?

I agree - bewildering.
Perhaps trying to be too clever and throw the opposition off guard?

Agree - too clever by half - particularly when Scott is the first to " back our system and our players in against any opposition"
One thing to talk the talk but another to walk the walk :eek:

Yep we were highly competitive in every match except Essendon.
The final was easily our worst match of the year.
It wouldn't have mattered if we finished first TBH.
Yes it would; with a second chance we historically come back and win.

Agree - too clever by half - particularly when Scott is the first to " back our system and our players in against any opposition"
One thing to talk the talk but another to walk the walk :eek:
To me that always reeked of arrogance. The idea that we just need to play our own way despite the opposition.
We have always played better when hunting and negating the opposition as a priority - i.e. not focusing solely on us but potentially paying extra attention to the opposition. Not saying that that is all we need to do, but it needs to be looked at IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think again it has shown not only do you need to bring pressure but you have to kick well, Collingwoods 1st half just about the best seen this year.

The biggest question is why the coach was re signed on a long term deal just prior to the review
Correct - it's not like there is a line of teams wanting to take him away from us FFS! This decision will haunt us for the next few years while stuck with him (and damage wrought will probably go beyond those...)

Thus far it seems that the only review is taking place in this thread. Did anyone in authority eg the Board of the GFC actually say that a review would take place?
If so would be good to see what they are reviewing, who is doing it, how we as members will be informed-remember this is still a member org with as some believe still voting for the Board to take place next year- etc, etc.

What BS on all points. Cook would do well to respect all members and supporters. He needs our $s.

All good and I wished I’d made them in response. Cook was rude and out order in having a go at people who are passionate about the GFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He would make a really good boot-studder, orange boy, etc. - actually *anything* other than playing!!
Well. he is a contracted player and with the 2018 draft been a super draft, the club has to aim for 2 1st round draft picks and 3 to 4 2nd round draft picks. If we have the list for the now, we do need to look at drafting key position forwards for the future. That means, offering Cam Guthrie for a trade, let it be. He would thrive at the West Coast Eagles and St Kilda.

1. Cunico racked up massive possessions in the 2's after he was dropped - don't think legs were the issue.
2. Guthrie and Parsons played far too many games when badly out of form.
3. Kolo had a great year ...in defence... why play him on the wing V Dees?
1. issue was defensive side of his game
2. maybe a paucity of replacements
3. it worked well v Swans in final 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back