Review Geelong Football Club 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone think Collingwood was capable of making the GF this year, after a disappointing 2017? I highly doubt it. In fact, despite signing a contract extension, just how much pressure was Buckley under heading into this season? Surely another poor year and he was in trouble. Yet here we are, 12 months on, and they will lineup in the Grand Final with largely the same group that previously looked bang average. A combination of drafting and smart trading, along with tactical changes and building a group to play as a team has seen him turn it around. Regardless of the result next week, the season has been a win for them.

It should raise eyebrows at Geelong, that maybe you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We might not be as far away as it appears and that it might not take a massive overhaul to become a legitimate contender again.

But will the issues be identified? Will those issues be addressed? Or maybe we just don't have the cattle?

But once again, I doubt many thought Collingwood had the cattle.

Did anyone think Collingwood was capable of making the GF this year, after a disappointing 2017? I highly doubt it. In fact, despite signing a contract extension, just how much pressure was Buckley under heading into this season? Surely another poor year and he was in trouble. Yet here we are, 12 months on, and they will lineup in the Grand Final with largely the same group that previously looked bang average. A combination of drafting and smart trading, along with tactical changes and building a group to play as a team has seen him turn it around. Regardless of the result next week, the season has been a win for them.

It should raise eyebrows at Geelong, that maybe you don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We might not be as far away as it appears and that it might not take a massive overhaul to become a legitimate contender again.

But will the issues be identified? Will those issues be addressed? Or maybe we just don't have the cattle?

Many, including me, had Pies to make top 4.
Having to explain why at the start of the season to many condescending Cats BF fans is in my memory bank.
The reason- their list is exciting, deep, and superior to most teams. And they are super quick and tackle well.
A bit of luck, and buying into Buck's plan was needed, but it has worked well for them so far.

The tackling that Collingwood were exhibiting was something else. So many times their players stuck tackles that either won them a FK or stopped a Richmond player from breaking free from the contest.

I wish our players knew how to tackle. I miss the days of guys like Rooke who stuck tackles and scared people.

Many, including me, had Pies to make top 4.
Having to explain why at the start of the season to many condescending Cats BF fans is in my memory bank.
The reason- their list is exciting, deep, and superior to most teams. And they are super quick and tackle well.
A bit of luck, and buying into Buck's plan was needed, but it has worked well for them so far.
Stuff like this really seems to get to you. It's surely no problem if people disagree, and one party is proven right in the end? You've also talked up a lot of teams that have failed, like Essendon. We all get some right and some wrong. Talking down the Cats chances this year? Probably right. Thinking this was inevitable, and that our management of talent available was impeccable? Probably wrong. This year finishing 8th and bombing out wasn't so bad relative to expected output. 2016 and 2017 were glorious finals failures relative to H&A seasons. The difference this year was we were just poorer the whole way through.

Stuff like this really seems to get to you. It's surely no problem if people disagree, and one party is proven right in the end? You've also talked up a lot of teams that have failed, like Essendon. We all get some right and some wrong. Talking down the Cats chances this year? Probably right. Thinking this was inevitable, and that our management of talent available was impeccable? Probably wrong. This year finishing 8th and bombing out wasn't so bad relative to expected output. 2016 and 2017 were glorious finals failures relative to H&A seasons. The difference this year was we were just poorer the whole way through.
Just statements get made as if the whole football world was in agreement about the Pies not being a chance this year.
Yes, I also rate the Bombers, and watch out in 2019.
And I believe next year we do have a chance, our last for probably a while, as long as there is an overhaul in thinking and attitude off season.
And of course there is no problem if people disagree- it makes it a lot more interesting here on BF.

A lot of people had Bucks on the chopping block by Rd 3 because they had injuries, been smashed by Hawthorn, lost at the MCG to GWS and their only win was a 24 point win against Carlton. Hardly inspiring stuff.

A lot of people might have had Collingwood as their smokey for top 8, but way more people had Buckley being sacked or Pies missing the 8.

And considering Collingwood finished 11th in 2014, 12th in 2015, 12th in 2016 and 13th in 2017 I find it hard to believe many actually had Collingwood higher than 7th or 8th because their form line didn't suggest it.

Who honestly would have predicted 8th v 13th from last season in this years Grand Final.

A lot of revisionist history from people re: Collingwood on this site.

A lot of people had Bucks on the chopping block by Rd 3 because they had injuries, been smashed by Hawthorn, lost at the MCG to GWS and their only win was a 24 point win against Carlton. Hardly inspiring stuff.

A lot of people might have had Collingwood as their smokey for top 8, but way more people had Buckley being sacked or Pies missing the 8.

And considering Collingwood finished 11th in 2014, 12th in 2015, 12th in 2016 and 13th in 2017 I find it hard to believe many actually had Collingwood higher than 7th or 8th because their form line didn't suggest it.

Who honestly would have predicted 8th v 13th from last season in this years Grand Final.

A lot of revisionist history from people re: Collingwood on this site.
Most of us had Tigers to go BTB.I did. Nothing wrong about that. But saying Pies were no chance to improve, with that list and that style of play, was wrong.

Most of us had Tigers to go BTB.I did. Nothing wrong about that. But saying Pies were no chance to improve, with that list and that style of play, was wrong.
I did a quick google check to see on the main websites how the "experts" expected season 2018 to go.

Out of 19 experts, 2 of them had Collingwood in the top 8. One was Tim Morris from Foxfooty.com.au who had them finishing 8th.

The other was Dane Swan, who had Collingwood finishing 2nd and winning the Premiership.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/a504e91934541f5166a470fe187d5638

Quick google check had most experts finishing outside the 8, with only the odd person here or there having them finish 7th or 8th. Unless they were a Pies fan or ex player, who had them anywhere in the top 8.

No one said the Pies couldn't improve, but lots of people on here acting as if Collingwood top 4 was a likely scenario when in reality it really wasn't.

I did a quick google check to see on the main websites how the "experts" expected season 2018 to go.

Out of 19 experts, 2 of them had Collingwood in the top 8. One was Tim Morris from Foxfooty.com.au who had them finishing 8th.

The other was Dane Swan, who had Collingwood finishing 2nd and winning the Premiership.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/a504e91934541f5166a470fe187d5638

Quick google check had most experts finishing outside the 8, with only the odd person here or there having them finish 7th or 8th. Unless they were a Pies fan or ex player, who had them anywhere in the top 8.

No one said the Pies couldn't improve, but lots of people on here acting as if Collingwood top 4 was a likely scenario when in reality it really wasn't.
Fair enough.
But every year now teams from outside the 8 come in and excel, Demons, Pies and Hawks this year.
You can see now that Bombers, Dogs, Crows, are on the up for next year and beyond.
Nobody knows. Saints were poor this year- surely they will improve.
Port- underachievers this year- I had them top 6.
Lions are definitely improving.
Not easy to prognosticate before drafts etc, so bringing up opinions from 12m ago is cute. Not referring to you either.

Just statements get made as if the whole football world was in agreement about the Pies not being a chance this year.
Yes, I also rate the Bombers, and watch out in 2019.
And I believe next year we do have a chance, our last for probably a while, as long as there is an overhaul in thinking and attitude off season.
And of course there is no problem if people disagree- it makes it a lot more interesting here on BF.
I know what you mean, the last few years have shown that teams can come from seemingly nowhere to snag a flag. There's no truly great teams in this little mini era.

I'm probably more down on the Cats chances than you, I do agree about the overhaul though. It would just be nice to see the boys play with some of the composure, hunger and conviction other teams have in recent years. At the pointy end of the season anyway. We do have talent gaps but I'm in the camp where it's more between the ears that needs sorting out more than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to have an honest and thorough review when certain main players escape scrutiny
Take the coach for instance....
They’re hardly going to be critical of him after extending his contract.

I know what you mean, the last few years have shown that teams can come from seemingly nowhere to snag a flag. There's no truly great teams in this little mini era.

I'm probably more down on the Cats chances than you, I do agree about the overhaul though. It would just be nice to see the boys play with some of the composure, hunger and conviction other teams have in recent years. At the pointy end of the season anyway. We do have talent gaps but I'm in the camp where it's more between the ears that needs sorting out more than anything.
While it's hard to rate our list given the bottom 8-12 players, there should be some improvement in the younger recruited players, and it seems a fair turnover will occur. The departure of McCarthy is imminent, several others also likely. It's an unsettling time. I'm not sure if they know if it'll be one more all out attempt to snag one with that group, or are we really starting a rebuild?
GAJ, Danger, Hawkins, Selwood and Taylor- it will be the last year of that 5 together.

so bringing up opinions from 12m ago is cute. Not referring to you either.
Why do you keep bringing this up? It seems to be a snide dig at me.

It’s interesting to see how opinions from 12 months ago stack up. There was nothing about me doing so that was having a go at Nakia. My point was how things can change in 12 months for a team. Seems to be lost on you.

Why do you keep bringing this up? It seems to be a snide dig at me.

It’s interesting to see how opinions from 12 months ago stack up. There was nothing about me doing so that was having a go at Nakia. My point was how things can change in 12 months for a team. Seems to be lost on you.
Fair enough.
I was defensively having a dig at you, overtly I thought.
I did misconstrue your point. Apologies.
My point is that opinions can change during the season.
There are some standout games that really hit, eg in 2017, I became convinced about Richmond after watching their high pressure game demolish the Saints, recalling the Saints smashed them a few weeks before that.
This year, I became hot on the Pies after watching them smash Melbourne in the QB game. And since that, they have played really good contested, but for me, moreover, really exciting footy.

Someone in another thread said apparently the end of season review was brutal. If true, good. This list horrible underachieved this season especially when in retrospect you consider that the Grand Final teams aren't the best two teams in the comp.

True, but I would say West Coast are definitely one of the top 2 teams. They did finish 2nd on the ladder a game clear of everyone else.

True, but I would say West Coast are definitely one of the top 2 teams. They did finish 2nd on the ladder a game clear of everyone else.
Double true, because everyone else shat their pants in the finals. So clearly the best teams ARE the two teams left. Don't see how you can even begin to argue against that.

Double true, because everyone else shat their pants in the finals. So clearly the best teams ARE the two teams left. Don't see how you can even begin to argue against that.

Yep. Just like last year Adelaide were the best team until the last week of the season, Richmond this year were the best team until the second last week of the season.

I wanted Richmond to win, but it's good. Upsets are a nice reminder that it's sport and anything can happen. Also that games and especially finals shouldn't automatically be close.

Want a review.. Bring back Neil Balme. Its not an accident that clubs he works at have success.
he has moved to clubs with huge talent but sidetracked with issues
our list at the end of 06 was huge
the tigers were full of first round picks, but a coach who had his head up a cavity

he has moved to clubs with huge talent but sidetracked with issues
our list at the end of 06 was huge
the tigers were full of first round picks, but a coach who had his head up a cavity
That is my point, Balmey is one of very few really "strong" men left in the AFL and has a proven ability to extract heads from cavities of those who get ahead of themselves. I think we have several at Geelong that need to undergo said extraction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back