Review Geelong Football Club 2018 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

These comments from Selwood appear to be dripping with meaning in the context of soul searching and reviewing what the club is doing wrong:

“I always look at things in a positive manner and what we need to do is have a look at these couple of weeks that we have been out of finals and have a look at how teams have been maybe doing it better than us,” Selwood said.

“Looking at both sides now, I picture West Coast and they are dancing in the rooms before the game and Collingwood, you just see them having fun during the week, so read into that what you want.

“But I am more looking at on-field stuff, and both groups, things are coming pretty naturally to them and they are just playing organic footy and are really enjoying what they are doing.”

These comments from Selwood appear to be dripping with meaning in the context of soul searching and reviewing what the club is doing wrong:

“I always look at things in a positive manner and what we need to do is have a look at these couple of weeks that we have been out of finals and have a look at how teams have been maybe doing it better than us,” Selwood said.

“Looking at both sides now, I picture West Coast and they are dancing in the rooms before the game and Collingwood, you just see them having fun during the week, so read into that what you want.

“But I am more looking at on-field stuff, and both groups, things are coming pretty naturally to them and they are just playing organic footy and are really enjoying what they are doing.”
Wonder if the 'Review' will call him as a witness???

That is my point, Balmey is one of very few really "strong" men left in the AFL and has a proven ability to extract heads from cavities of those who get ahead of themselves. I think we have several at Geelong that need to undergo said extraction.

Totally agree. I spoke to a former Geelong player earlier this year and we had a long chat. He agreed with me that the loss of Neil Balme in November 2014 was a huge loss at Geelong. And, Blake Caracella's departure at the end of 2016 to Richmond was a huge loss.

I received word last night that a number of Cats powerbrokers (including a former Premiership star) wanted Chris Scott sacked. But, Brian Cook, Colin Carter and the board caught wind of it (certain members of the board) and extended his contract until 2022. This is an example of a club been complacent at the wheel without evening know it.

Totally agree. I spoke to a former Geelong player earlier this year and we had a long chat. He agreed with me that the loss of Neil Balme in November 2014 was a huge loss at Geelong. And, Blake Caracella's departure at the end of 2016 to Richmond was a huge loss.

I received word last night that a number of Cats powerbrokers (including a former Premiership star) wanted Chris Scott sacked. But, Brian Cook, Colin Carter and the board caught wind of it (certain members of the board) and extended his contract until 2022. This is an example of a club been complacent at the wheel without evening know it.
Interesting and if true then just like the 2006 Review where the majority of the Board wanted Thompson gone. The compromise from those with the numbers was that Neil Balme be employed.
Lets hope that that there is a similar outcome this time, that is that additions are made to the football department that are quality experienced people.

So he is a basically insinuating ..that the group is unhappy? So the winning thru the year when unhappy is not indicative of how we will play in the finals..because we are not dancing in the rooms and having fun .. Rich has been giggling all year ... I wonder if they are giggling now.

I think its easy to be happy when you are playing at your almost effortless best and in sync with the side.... and obviously Joel in that final was far from happy... he looked to me as someone thats had enough of being tagged and not getting help. Thats the other side of a competitive person... the saying about show me a good loser ..and Ill show you a loser .. is another way of saying players who expect to win will not always be the best guys to be around when not winning.

There is something wrong for sure.. I remember get a bit annoyed at Joel pre season when talking with KB as he had another line of thought on why we had failed that seemed to fit how they wanted to look at it. The balancing act between being open and espousing the real root cause and putting players and club offside.. nearly always result in vanilla speak .

Name..Names

So he is a basically insinuating ..that the group is unhappy? So the winning thru the year when unhappy is not indicative of how we will play in the finals..because we are not dancing in the rooms and having fun .. Rich has been giggling all year ... I wonder if they are giggling now.

I think its easy to be happy when you are playing at your almost effortless best and in sync with the side.... and obviously Joel in that final was far from happy... he looked to me as someone thats had enough of being tagged and not getting help. Thats the other side of a competitive person... the saying about show me a good loser ..and Ill show you a loser .. is another way of saying players who expect to win will not always be the best guys to be around when not winning.

There is something wrong for sure.. I remember get a bit annoyed at Joel pre season when talking with KB as he had another line of thought on why we had failed that seemed to fit how they wanted to look at it. The balancing act between being open and espousing the real root cause and putting players and club offside.. nearly always result in vanilla speak .
It happens with people and organisations.
You think you have the formula for success (because it's worked before) and you keep pushing it forward without realizing you are actually getting into a rut.
Little things start to go wrong here and there, but at the time it just seems like bad luck, or outside circumstances.
Then, bang!
The time comes when you realise something different has to be done.
Let's hope that time has come.

I interpret Joel’s comments as saying:

1. What we are doing isn’t working
2. Other teams are doing things better
3. Other teams appear to be playing more naturally/organically
4. Other teams appear to be enjoying their footy
<inference>
Geelong is not playing natural/organic footy (over-coached? Too technical? Forced game style?)
Geelong is not enjoying its footy, perhaps because of the above.

<inference>
Geelong is not playing natural/organic footy (over-coached? Too technical? Forced game style?)
Lets hope so.
BTW what was the source of the comments, CE?

Not complacent, but steadfast in their direction that the club is going, knowing we have the right man for the job.
Just look back in history- Bomber, Hardwick, Bucks- all under scrutiny and requests to be sacked, and all successful. I would say Bucks had a successful season, albeit not winning the big one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since when is a former premiership player a “powerbroker”? A player with an opinion has no influence whatsoever unless they are on the board.
And as there are no ex players on the Board then perhaps there is some parallel and informed opinion. Whether they have influence is up to the Board who will of course ignore at their, the Boards, peril.

<inference>
That’s how I interpret it and I think it starts with playing players out of there natural position. Motlop andVarcoe we made into running defenders, both natural forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back