Geelong for the flag in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres more chance of Tony Abbott becoming PM again than there is of Geelong winning tbe 2018 - 2022 flags. They have too many deficiencies on their list that a "injury plagued" can't cover.

Even if they make finals... they'll get exposed and thrashed in the finals as they have been the past few seasons.

Hawks Prez jeff Kennett claimed "no Australian backyard is safe" when the Australian High Court reached their Mabo decision.

I'm not a Geelong supporter, but I'm tipping them for the flag this year.

This is an interesting read: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...8/news-story/3ba00f66ee4ae2f4e19cb380712e0adf

Know their finals record is not great but think if they can keep a healthy list they can go all the way, as much as I'd like to see Richmond go back-to-back.

More games for Cockatoo helps cover for the loss of Motlop, Ablett in and few promising forwards developing. Reckon they're in a very good spot.
:rolleyes:

They really should’ve traded Hawkins when they had the chance. He was an absolute liability in the 2017 finals. Still think they have a couple of holes. Everyone has to remember, they will win nearly all their games in Geelong, as that place is a graveyard for most sides. That gives them around 8 wins, so big advantage, but as another poster pointed out, their finals record since 2011 hasn’t been great, it’s a no from me. Maybe if they played us (Dogs) in two finals, they’ll win the flag. We can’t beat those bastards! Ever!!

They really should’ve traded Hawkins when they had the chance. He was an absolute liability in the 2017 finals. Still think they have a couple of holes.

KB was saying on SEN that the game has gone past the gorilla forwards like Tex Walker and Tom Hawkins, and sadly I think he's right.

Everyone has to remember, they will win nearly all their games in Geelong, as that place is a graveyard for most sides. That gives them around 8 wins, so big advantage, but as another poster pointed out, their finals record since 2011 hasn’t been great, it’s a no from me. Maybe if they played us (Dogs) in two finals, they’ll win the flag. We can’t beat those bastards! Ever!!

We could never beat them either, and then we played them in a final, so there is hope for your mob. :p

KB was saying on SEN that the game has gone past the gorilla forwards like Tex Walker and Tom Hawkins, and sadly I think he's right.

We could never beat them either, and then we played them in a final, so there is hope for your mob. :p

It’s gone past forwards like Walker and Hawkins because they aren’t actually very good at contested marking - both only took 1.6 contested marks a game last year, whereas someone like Dixon took 2.6.

Then you look at their tackle numbers - Walker 1.9, Hawkins 2.8, Dixon 3.1.

A guy like Dixon fits into the modern game because he actually plays his role as a target man and applies defensive pressure. Walker and Hawkins don’t because they still require space to take marks. So when finals roll around and defence tightens up, they go missing.

It’s gone past forwards like Walker and Hawkins because they aren’t actually very good at contested marking - both only took 1.6 contested marks a game last year, whereas someone like Dixon took 2.6.

Then you look at their tackle numbers - Walker 1.9, Hawkins 2.8, Dixon 3.1.

A guy like Dixon fits into the modern game because he actually plays his role as a target man and applies defensive pressure. Walker and Hawkins don’t because they still require space to take marks. So when finals roll around and defence tightens up, they go missing.

Hawkins and Walker have a far better finals record than Dixon

They really should’ve traded Hawkins when they had the chance. He was an absolute liability in the 2017 finals. Still think they have a couple of holes. Everyone has to remember, they will win nearly all their games in Geelong, as that place is a graveyard for most sides. That gives them around 8 wins, so big advantage, but as another poster pointed out, their finals record since 2011 hasn’t been great, it’s a no from me. Maybe if they played us (Dogs) in two finals, they’ll win the flag. We can’t beat those bastards! Ever!!

Had the chance? We'll always have that chance as he's one of the best forwards in the game.

I don't really understand your post. We can't win a flag without him yet you're saying we need to trade him out to win one :drunk:

Hawkins and Walker have a far better finals record than Dixon

Hawkins and Walker have never had to play a final with a 3 game key forward, a 10 game key back, a 17 game and a 4 game half back and a 22 game midfielder.

I’d cut Dixon a massive amount of slack.

And Hawkins - by design or otherwise - does not lead anymore hardly. So many long high balls on his head..:drunk:

Its infuriating - but they continue. Mooney - granted its 6 years ago - would lead to the ball. Sure some went on his head but not EVERY one.

And the game has changed too so its all reasonable - He needs to adjust to match it.

You cant charge defenders and run thru them anymore ( fair enough) but they'd be a hell of a lot less willing to fill the hole/guard the space with Jenkins, Hawkins et al ploughing straight at the ball on a lead.

GO Catters

Hawkins and Walker have never had to play a final with a 3 game key forward, a 10 game key back, a 17 game and a 4 game half back and a 22 game midfielder.

I’d cut Dixon a massive amount of slack.

I give him the benefit of the doubt- unfortunately for him missed his chances in the one (?) final he's played

Had the chance? We'll always have that chance as he's one of the best forwards in the game.

I don't really understand your post. We can't win a flag without him yet you're saying we need to trade him out to win one :drunk:
What did Hawkins give you in the 2017 finals series? 3 goals? 2 from free kicks if I recall, he’s not the answer

And Hawkins - by design or otherwise - does not lead anymore hardly. So many long high balls on his head..:drunk:

Its infuriating - but they continue. Mooney - granted its 6 years ago - would lead to the ball. Sure some went on his head but not EVERY one.

And the game has changed too so its all reasonable - He needs to adjust to match it.

You cant charge defenders and run thru them anymore ( fair enough) but they'd be a hell of a lot less willing to fill the hole/guard the space with Jenkins, Hawkins et al ploughing straight at the ball on a lead.

GO Catters

Hawkins needs to play up the ground permanently as a roaming key forward, rather than inside the forward 50 as a stay at home key forward.

Geelong's forward line has functioned far better on the occasions where Hawkins has played up the ground.

Dangerfield will be able to spend far more time inside the forward 50 as the stay at home key forward now that Geelong have Ablett, and we have seen how dangerous (pun intended) Dangerfield is when he has played that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins needs to play up the ground permanently as a roaming key forward, rather than inside the forward 50 as a stay at home key forward.

Geelong's forward line has functioned far better on the occasions where Hawkins has played up the ground.

Dangerfield will be able to spend far more time inside the forward 50 as the stay at home key forward now that Geelong have Ablett, and we have seen how dangerous (pun intended) Dangerfield is when he has played that role.
Great post!

Structurally Geelong need a roaming CHF for their forward line set up.

Hawkins main problem when he plays deep, is the lack of quality entries via not having said CHF and no quality link play out of the back half, creating quick ball movement which will isolate him deep.

When he plays further up the ground it rectifies the structural problem and ball movement improves incredibly but the end product becomes a liability.

He cannot play both roles and it would seem that Scott wants to play him deeper with the recruitment of Crameri.

I personally think Hawkins has a few 50+ goal seasons in him yet.

Cats now with the number 3 and 4 best players in the comp, both of who are dangerous anywhere, have so much more flexibility.

What did Hawkins give you in the 2017 finals series? 3 goals? 2 from free kicks if I recall, he’s not the answer

He had an awful finals series in 2017 but he has played a number of fantastic finals games and generally lifts from H&A to finals.

I think the game is passing him by now but we don't have anyone else to play his role, like nobody.

I think they have the talent to win it, any team with Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield in there team can challenge really.

Mentality is the big issue with the cats, do they have what it takes to get there? I'm not sold.

He had an awful finals series in 2017 but he has played a number of fantastic finals games and generally lifts from H&A to finals.

I think the game is passing him by now but we don't have anyone else to play his role, like nobody.
Very true mate. I also worry about the Dogs too now that we finally have some monster forwards, but they are going out of fashion! Richmond won the flag with a full forward only!

With their list and home ground advantage they will make finals no problems. How far they go in the finals is the question.

Tall forward is the hardest position to play by a country mile imo.

Grand Final is still being played at the MCG though.

We found that out the hard way...

Last edited:
I think they have the talent to win it, any team with Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield in there team can challenge really.

Mentality is the big issue with the cats, do they have what it takes to get there? I'm not sold.
Can we be friends?

lol. hawkins kicked over fifty goals this year again and is still our most important player. when he isnt playing we are stuffed.

What a joke comparing Hawkins to Dixon. Dixon is nothing other than an overhyped draft prospect.

I didn't realize he's been in the comp for 10 years! A C/D grade forward that will never make the B's like Hawkins and Walker.

Last edited:

Definitely agree it is mostly the mentality which is tough to measure in the preseason. We really won't know until finals if its changed. I'd also add that our forward line has been structually dysmal. We haven't had any issues getting the ball in there but it just comes straight back out when the pressure is on. It remains to be seen whether the additions of Cockatoo/Gregson/Mccarthy/Crameri will make a difference or not.

Cats now with the number 3 and 4 best players in the comp, both of who are dangerous anywhere, have so much more flexibility.

This. I want to bench our bottom 6 liabilities/vfl players and just field 16. Not only is it them and their turnovers cost us games and destroy team morale/momentum, but when our elite players see a liability/vfl player manned up in a contest, they let that player compete in the contest because it's his role. If the vfl player wasn't there to perform that role and the opponent was loose, then the elite player would have no choice to run over and man up on him/spoil, doing a better job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back