Geelong for the flag in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Dangerfield in the forward line in the finals left the role of Hawkins sidelined or confused.

Does the coach have faith in the power forward that he used to have?

Can three absolute guns in Ablett, Danger and Selwood rise above taggers?

Can H. Taylor produce his elite form, or is he as confused as Hawkins?

I`m tuning in.

Could be a complete mess.

But a team that gets deep into the finals most years, then add Ablett, can't write them off completely.
Looking at the way the WB and Richmond won flags you'd think Scott would push Danger forward more often. Hawkins might just find himself pushed out if Buzza comes on, Crameri is fit and Menzel can play that half forward pressure role.

Taylor will stay down back for sure. No way he'd go forward with Lonergan & Mackie retired.

You mean apart from when he smashed Richmond... Taylor is not the player he was. He was a star, I don't think he still is, he may prove me wrong. Lonnegan's ability to take out the best tall forward and play on players like Buddy is unappreciated by most footy followers (although I doubt Geelong's). He will be missed and I can't see anyone who is going to take his place.
I actually think Taylor needs to play that role.

You mean apart from when he smashed Richmond... Taylor is not the player he was.

What are you basing that on? When was he towelled up last year when he was playing as a defender?

I know you've probably read it plenty of times on BF, and probably 20 times just in this thread, but it's never uttered with any evidence, just hope.

What are you basing that on? When was he towelled up last year when he was playing as a defender?

I know you've probably read it plenty of times on BF, and probably 20 times just in this thread, but it's never uttered with any evidence, just hope.
No he smashed Richmond as a forward, kicked 5 goals rd.21 mainly on Rance.

Geelongs best defender is in his 30's, a midfield now propped up by a 33 year old sook with a bung shoulder, no rucks and their best forward is one dimensional and limited ((Hawkins).
No chance at all, particularly as the GF is played at the MCG.
GWS, Adelaide, Richmond and Melbourne will be the teams to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geelongs midfield is not propped up by ablett, its propped up by PD and JS.

Ablett in geelongs midfield is a luxury, not a nessessity.

geelongs midfield is not propped up by ablett, its propped up by PD and JS.

Ablett in geelongs midfield is a luxury, not a nessessity.

Going by your finals campaign just gone, i'd beg to differ. However, the thought of Danger spending more time forward should surely be on the radar? He could absolutely dominate in the forward line. 50/50 split between midfield and forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning finals is often about how your bottom 6-8 players perform, not your stars. This is where Geelong still lacks some serious depth and has had too many passengers in recent seasons IMO. I suspect we'll make the top 4 again, our stars are good enough to win the H&A games required for that, but when facing the best teams who can nullify our star players influence on a game, that's where the great flaw in Geelong is revealed. It's not a plan B coaching issue, it's a lack of good ordinary players who prop up the team.

Last edited:
If you're writing off Geelong, you're an idiot. Just like if you said Richmond would do a WB and not play finals. It's a laughable comment.

Backline - Taylor, Tuohy, Kolodjashnij, Stewart will comprise the core of that outfit. That's a pretty good line up, definitely something that can be worked with and a defensive six built around.

Midfield - Dangerfield, Duncan and Selwood are the key drivers, with hopefully Cockatoo stepping up and in more permanently. Guthrie can go down back where he can be used more effectively and Scott Selwood can play that hard support role. Of course then there is Ablett.

Forward - I reckon Ablett can release Dangerfield up forward, as he is so good there and I think Hawkins will benefit with him around. Parfitt, Menzel, Gregson, and McCarthy are more than handy around goal.

Smith, Bews, Buzza, Murdoch, Menegola
all compliment their respective positions well. By all reports Charlie Constable could be the pick of the draft, so good get by Geelong there. Don't forget Crameri if fit is a pretty useful get.

The absolute core group of a top 4 side is there, I can't see any reason why that side falls away next year. They will miss the years of experience of Mackie & Lonergan, but that backline isn't a liability and don't discount how a happy and fit Ablett will be if all goes well.

Best case outcome - Flag
Worst Case - 6th to 8th

Backline - Taylor, Tuohy, Kolodjashnij, Stewart will comprise the core of that outfit. That's a pretty good line up, definitely something that can be worked with and a defensive six built around.
And Henderson

70/30 forward/mid for me.

Won't happen though.

If Danger spent his time forward/mid like Dusty imagine the impact. Scott has nothing to lose by trying it.

You mean the same place they beat Richmond 5 times in a row, in a streak of 13 straight wins?
Hard to believe that mindless comment attracted 41 likes.
Clearly a few dullards up and about.

To refer to the OP.

Can we win it. Sure.
Will we. Depends on how our defence mashes together, we'll likely be shorter down back than we have been for nearly a dozen years. Quite a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back