Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

This’ll end well. Can’t possibly see this thread not descending into nonsense.

Except the captain often plays very well in finals.
The Selwood as captain finals rhetoric is tired, lazy, and factually lacking.
Playing well and being an effective captain are very different things.
Unfortunately for Joel inside mid is the worst position on the ground for a captain, especially in finals.

Not many predicted the Dogs in 2016, certainly not on the eve of the finals.

Richmond 2017, same. You would have been laughed at, just like the West Coast last year. So if we're going off that, sure we can. Anybody can. Each season is different. But you have to go off what is likely to happen, and In all likelihood, we won't win it. We can win a lot of home games, be competitive but a premiership, no I don't think so.

Gold Dust hit the nail on the head a few posts up.
That not right.

The Bulldogs in 2016 were a surprise.

The Tigers in 2017 showed great form in the second half if the year. People were reluctant to stop bagging them and look.

The Eagles were pretty much ignored by the Vic press. Two big Melbourne clubs in the top 4 and the potential fairytale of the Demons took all the attention.

I dont know but I suspect the WA press was different. Logically the Eagles and the Tigers were the best chances all year. The Pies had a good finals series.

How many finals had Richmond won in the years prior to 2017?

Not sure how that goes against what I said .. we couldnt win an elimination final .. hard to win a flag if that happens. :think:

We needed a double chance to have a shot and once we won one, the rest is history.

Geelong on the other hand are on the slide, cant see them beating Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood or Richmond even if they make finals.

I'd say Essendon have a better chance of winning than Geelong, in fact I cant even see the Cats beating the Bombers, Adelaide I have a feeling will bounce back in 2019 and Geelong wont get near them either.

Geelong are shot.

Playing well and being an effective captain are very different things.
Unfortunately for Joel inside mid is the worst position on the ground for a captain, especially in finals.
Drivel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how that goes against what I said .. we couldnt win an elimination final .. hard to win a flag if that happens. :think:

We needed a double chance to have a shot and once we won one, the rest is history.

Geelong on the other hand are on the slide, cant see them beating Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood or Richmond even if they make finals.

I'd say Essendon have a better chance of winning than Geelong, in fact I cant even see the Cats beating the Bombers, Adelaide I have a feeling will bounce back in 2019 and Geelong wont get near them either.

Geelong are shot.

They said the same thing about West Coast 12 months ago.

Did anyone tip Richmond in 2017?

Or the Bulldogs in 2016?

Thats the point.

Honestly they are more likely to miss finals than win the flag.
I'm not convinced they will make finals, they are well below the best teams in the comp imo.
Their home ground gives them a few extra wins than they would probably get otherwise, and so they look better on the ladder than they actually are.

VFL maybe .....
they will still be a hard team to beat with the class they have in the team but outside of that upper tier of player the rest of the team fall away pretty hard .. too much left to too few need a huge lift from their fringe players to really give it a shake and given the list changes to the club that were around their mark last year i cant see them keeping up pace

I don't know how anyone could watch us year after year under Scott and conclude that a flag is on the horizon.

We do the same s**t every year, and the same results occur. Unless there's any indication that Scott is going to change how he does things, or the people around him, I don't see how success is possible.

That aside, I also think the list is in one of the weakest states it's been in for some time. Most of our key players are now on the older side, and we are heavily reliant on them without much real quality young talent coming through. Big structural issues that have persisted for years still haven't been addressed, such as in the ruck and forward line. We have no real forward potency beyond Hawkins, lack genuine leg speed across the ground and we play a slow, boring style of game.

Last year we just slipped into the eight, and I don't see reason as to why that would improve this year. No really major list changes, the key players, are aforementioned are only getting older and more knocked-about, and we're never going to do anything playing as we have been under Scott for all these years. Seems more likely we'd go backwards.

First 7 weeks will show where they’re at, they have a horror start to the year- Pies, Demons, Crows, Giants, Hawks, Eagles, Bombers, bolded are played down in Mordor. If they are 5-2 or 4-3 from that fixture, then anything is possible, but they’re a real chance to be 2-5 or 1-6 at which stage you’d have to say it would be difficult to see them impacting the finals series (though not impossible to make them).

Geelong are shot.
We lost three games by less than a kick. Had we won it would have seen us finish second. We had what was acknowledged to be one of the harder draws and ran with the second most debutants, many of whom showed lots of upside. I see plenty of room for improvement.

I don't agree with you, but am happy for the Cats to remain underrated.

I don't know how anyone could watch us year after year under Scott and conclude that a flag is on the horizon.

We do the same s**t every year, and the same results occur. Unless there's any indication that Scott is going to change how he does things, or the people around him, I don't see how success is possible.

That aside, I also think the list is in one of the weakest states it's been in for some time. Most of our key players are now on the older side, and we are heavily reliant on them without much real quality young talent coming through. Big structural issues that have persisted for years still haven't been addressed, such as in the ruck and forward line. We have no real forward potency beyond Hawkins, lack genuine leg speed across the ground and we play a slow, boring style of game.

Last year we just slipped into the eight, and I don't see reason as to why that would improve this year. No really major list changes, the key players, are aforementioned are only getting older and more knocked-about, and we're never going to do anything playing as we have been under Scott for all these years. Seems more likely we'd go backwards.

Honest assessment :thumbsu: Good to see there is some Geelong supporters around here without an inflated big head.

We lost three games by less than a kick. Had we won it would have seen us finish second. We had what was acknowledged to be one of the harder draws and ran with the second most debutants, many of whom showed lots of upside. I see plenty of room for improvement.

I don't agree with you, but am happy for the Cats to remain underrated.

You didn't win those games though and you were outmatched in the finals by a younger less experienced team.

What have you done that's going to close the gap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back