Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett WAS a better player. I don't think I, or anyone else has disputed that.

He was also, however, outside the top 10 for Geelong in 2018, and certainly vastly inferior to Devon Smith.

Please, its embarrassing comparing a two time brownlow winner, premiership player to an ex GWS player who’s only claim to fame is he switched clubs. Stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He averaged the same CP as Brayshaw, which included Brayshaw being played out of position on a half-forward flank before being moved into the midfield in round 7. From the time Brayshaw moved into the midfield in round 7 I suspect he shades him. Viney, Oliver and Brayshaw plus Harmes, who was close to Ablett's CP, will win more in 2019 in his new role.

More importantly, I use my eyes. Ablett is scared of physical contact.

For someone scared of contact he tackles allot.

So I was right. He "shaded" him.

Btw, Brayshaw played 2018 as a 22 year old having a breakout season. I'd hardly call that his "prime". I'd hardly call a 58 game player as having peaked.

Let me give you some context. In Ablett's first 100 games, which coincided with him being 22, he averaged 15 disposals per match across those first 100 games.

Do you think Ablett was in his "prime" at 22 ? Do you think he was in his "prime" in 2006 at 22 and averaging 16.9 disposals per game ?

Btw, there are moments in games when a player doesn't go, or avoids contact, etc. One needs to use their eyes to discern these moments. And to be honest, I don't blame Gary protecting his shoulders at 34 bearing in mind his recent history.

GAJ played fwd pocket in those early years. I don’t see Brayshaw doing same.

As an opp supporter I like Brayshaw but he’s no Ablett, not this year or any year.

Please, its embarrassing comparing a two time brownlow winner, premiership player to an ex GWS player who’s only claim to fame is he switched clubs. Stop it.

Dick Reynolds is, quite literally, a better player than any in the history of your club.

GAJ played fwd pocket in those early years. I don’t see Brayshaw doing same.
Until he had his "talking to"by the senior players. But yes, he was always going to start as a small forward.

That said, explain to me how that in any way invalidates anything I said in my post ???

I will watch for that.... but i always hated watching him run away from Hawthorns mids. And his kicking was not that bad. Sometimes it was exquisite.

i don't know about Ablett on the outside. I think he will get a hard tag, and be easier to stop than Kelly.

Anyway, the Cat's are spoiled for choice on the inside.
Re spoilt for choice inside - not so sure about that. Despite all the "names" Geelong midfield routinely is beaten in the clearances. Its a standout feature of the Chris Scott era

They're still being carried by their better players, but even then they were bashed up by Melbourne's young inside midfield.

It was a completely different story in round 18 when we had a competent ruckman in the side.

Re spoilt for choice inside - not so sure about that. Despite all the "names" Geelong midfield routinely is beaten in the clearances. Its a standout feature of the Chris Scott era
When Ryhs Stanley had his purple patch mid way through the season Geelong improvement their clearance numbers and started to gel as a midfield unit. Let's not forget that the midfield first had Smith to become accustomed to and then Stanley who was still learning the craft himself. They were always going to take time to gel with a largely inexperienced ruckman to rove to, and at times one who wasn't getting first hands to the ball. Then there was Ablett and Kelly at centre bounces who only had a single pre-season to learn our midfield strategies.

Then both Smith and Stanley were injured and a raw debutant from the GFL from thrown into the mix. It's no wonder the midfield struggled at times. There was hardly any continuity. Then throw in the fact that our best mid was forced to spend a lot of time forward due to back issues and to become another marking target and it's easy to see why we were getting beaten out of the middle.

When Ryhs Stanley had his purple patch mid way through the season Geelong improvement their clearance numbers and started to gel as a midfield unit. Let's not forget that the midfield first had Smith to become accustomed to and then Stanley who was still learning the craft himself. They were always going to take time to gel with a largely inexperienced ruckman to rove to, and at times one who wasn't getting first hands to the ball. Then there was Ablett and Kelly at centre bounces who only had a single pre-season to learn our midfield strategies.

Then both Smith and Stanley were injured and a raw debutant from the GFL from thrown into the mix. It's no wonder the midfield struggled at times. There was hardly any continuity. Then throw in the fact that our best mid was forced to spend a lot of time forward due to back issues and to become another marking target and it's easy to see why we were getting beaten out of the middle.
But this has been a constant since 2013. We rarely win in the midfield

Forward pressure (or lack of it) was one area that let us down last year. Dahlhaus and Rohan go along way to fixing this issue.

Tell me you’re not being serious here? - You’ve said some absolute rubbish over the journey, this takes the cake - you clearly have no idea about football.

Fact is, take your cheat ground away ... you’d be lucky to be playing finals, massive advantage no other Victorian side gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But this has been a constant since 2013. We rarely win in the midfield
The midfield was only an issue this year. We were one kick away from the premiership in 2013 and made the prelim in both 16 and 17 with functioning midfields.

I'm a long time admirer if Devon Smith as a footballer. I'm a fair way off thinking he's comparable to GAJ though, even in his declining years.

The last bit if your post is clearly silly , Devon has changed clubs once after all.

It was a completely different story in round 18 when we had a competent ruckman in the side.
You were bashed up in the midfield that night too, which is why you were behind by 29 points at 3/4 time on your home ground. They just didn't put you away.

A young team learnt a lot from that game.

You were bashed up in the midfield that night too, which is why you were behind by 29 points at 3/4 time on your home ground. They just didn't put you away.

A young team learnt a lot from that game.
A match consists of 4 quarters.

The midfield was only an issue this year. We were one kick away from the premiership in 2013 and made the prelim in both 16 and 17 with functioning midfields.

One kick from the grand final you mean.

Geelong vs Fremantle grand final that year would have been some sort of game though particularly with the rivalry at the time between the two teams.

Yeah, your clearances stats are appalling. Arguably that is more about your rucks. Then your lack of outside run has been a bigger problem.

I would prefer Ablett and Selwood at the fall of the ball and Kelly running through and lose to put on the burners.;.... the others can do that, but they are getting long in the tooth.

One kick from the grand final you mean.

Geelong vs Fremantle grand final that year would have been some sort of game though particularly with the rivalry at the time between the two teams.
I still maintain that Hawthorn and Geelong were the best two teams that year and would have been a more fitting GF.

It's all personal opinion though and no disrespect to Fremantle.

Dick Reynolds is, quite literally, a better player than any in the history of your club.
Don’t you have anyone more recent to talk about? Seriously what about Hird or Bomber Thompson - surely you’ve had some good players since the 40s
I can’t imagine using Leigh Matthews in some argument justifying Hawthorn as being a good club and dick was like 4 decades earlier...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back