Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Don’t you have anyone more recent to talk about? Seriously what about Hird or Bomber Thompson - surely you’ve had some good players since the 40s
I can’t imagine using Leigh Matthews in some argument justifying Hawthorn as being a good club and dick was like 4 decades earlier...

Precisely.

Don’t you have anyone more recent to talk about? Seriously what about Hird or Bomber Thompson - surely you’ve had some good players since the 40s
I can’t imagine using Leigh Matthews in some argument justifying Hawthorn as being a good club and dick was like 4 decades earlier...

Probably the last clean player at essendon to be fair

Dick Reynolds is, quite literally, a better player than any in the history of your club.
Given the list of forwards better than Hawkins 2018 and Midfielders better than Selwood 2018 you trotted out last year I think it's safe if we pay your views on football no credence.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I'm a long time admirer if Devon Smith as a footballer. I'm a fair way off thinking he's comparable to GAJ though, even in his declining years.

The last bit if your post is clearly silly , Devon has changed clubs once after all.

Has he any other claim to fame. Thats all I know of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
You were bashed up in the midfield that night too, which is why you were behind by 29 points at 3/4 time on your home ground. They just didn't put you away.

A young team learnt a lot from that game.

We didn’t play with any confidence for three qtrs with poor disposal. Then suddenly we clicked and away we went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, the silly season is in full swing....what were the odds of the Dogs, Tigers and Eagles being the last three premiers?

Better odds than the Cats.

They couldn't get the job done in 2017 - their best performed player of the season left for Port Adelaide.

They couldn’t get the job done in 2018 despite having the greatest midfield group ever assembled with the holy trinity. Too many players that only wanted to run one way.

In 2018 their older players are... older.
They have no dynamite youth that will help them improve. Their only beacon of hope wants to play in WA in 2020.

Geelong are far more liely to continue the slide of 2018. And finish outside of the 8 in 2019.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills

They couldn't get the job done in 2017 - their best performed player of the season left for Port Adelaide.

They couldn’t get the job done in 2018 despite having the greatest midfield group ever assembled with the holy trinity. Too many players that only wanted to run one way.

They have no dynamite youth that will help them improve. Their only beacon of hope wants to play in WA in 2020.

Geelong are far more liely to continue the slide of 2018. And finish outside of the 8 in 2019.

Yes, kick them out of the League i say, uncompaetive no - hopers the lot of them.....there is no future in Geelong's dreaming! .Danger, Ablett and Selwood should retire, their recrutiing officer doesn't know what he's doing and they're run as badly as Cricket Australia!

Yes, kick them out of the League i say, uncompaetive no - hopers the lot of them.....there is no future in Geelong's dreaming! .Danger, Ablett and Selwood should retire, their recrutiing officer doesn't know what he's doing and they're run as badly as Cricket Australia!

I just think it's extremely unlikely for them to get there, it doesn't help that their coaching staff seem bereft of ideas when the going gets tough (and it got tough for them many times over the years!). And they're stuck with Chris Scott for a few more seasons!!!! The horror!!

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Tell me you’re not being serious here? - You’ve said some absolute rubbish over the journey, this takes the cake - you clearly have no idea about football.

Fact is, take your cheat ground away ... you’d be lucky to be playing finals, massive advantage no other Victorian side gets.

You must be one of those Johny come lately Bandwagon Hawthorn supporters - and the Hawks got thousands of those

FACT - when Hawthorn played Geelong at KP - the Hawks had a fantastic record down their - how many times they beat Geel in Geel

Then when the games were transferred to the MCG - the Cats win 11 in a row over the Hawks - all the MCG

Like i say your a " new " "recent " Hawthorn supporter - who doesnt know the Hawks history

Your probably a Richmond supporter who swapped sided 6-7 years ago

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
I just think it's extremely unlikely for them to get there, it doesn't help that their coaching staff seem bereft of ideas when the going gets tough (and it got tough for them many times over the years!). And they're stuck with Chris Scott for a few more seasons!!!! The horror!!

I think the recruiting has been directed at fixing that, Hawkins had a great year, but he was all alone and losing the big Fijian Esava Ratugolea didn't help as he was looking the goods. I don't think Scott knew what to do with the big three who all had a good year despite the criticism.. Clark and Constable will debut and Kelly will only improve, he's no certainty to be in WA in 2020 either...! Looking at who has won the flag in the past three seasons , it's anyone's' ball game. A lot of people on here had the Eagles winning the spoon last season! IMO the real pressure is on the Pies, Bombers and Demons for various reasons. It's all guess work as of January 7th..

I think the recruiting has been directed at fixing that, Hawkins had a great year, but he was all alone and losing the big Fijian Esava Ratugolea didn't help as he was looking the goods. I don't think Scott knew what to do with the big three who all had a good year despite the criticism.. Clark and Constable will debut and Kelly will only improve, he's no certainty to be in WA in 2020 either...! Looking at who has won the flag in the past three seasons , it's anyone's' ball game. A lot of people on here had the Eagles winning the spoon last season! IMO the real pressure is on the Pies, Bombers and Demons for various reasons. It's all guess work as of January 7th..

2019 is Fremantle's year!!

Freomaniac

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not a Geelong supporter but I'm tipping them for the flag this year.

Lots of noise coming out of the Cattery this off season about changing things is giving Cats fans the feeling that they could be in for a turnaround similar to the turnaround from 2006 to 2007.

When you look at the previous years the parallels are eerily similar.

Geelong 2004 vs Geelong 2016 - first year of finals with that group of players after rebuilding the list.

Geelong 2005 vs Geelong 2017 - second year of finals into the playing group and both years they could have gone further if not for injuries at the wrong time of year.

Geelong 2006 vs Geelong 2018 - when Cats fans expected everything to come together they felt the playing group was primed but both years they underachieved.

Geelong 2007 vs Geelong 2019 - pre season saw a massive review of the club by the CEO and Scarlett is the other common factor given he instigated the change in the players in 2007 and he is looking to do the same now except as a coach.

Do you think they will be a serious contender this year and possibly win the premiership or are they just making up the numbers?
Geelong 2007 and geelong 2019 are miles apart. The main difference being the 2007 list was choc full of stars coming into their prime together. The 2019 list is having 1 last shot at a flag while Gaz and selwood still have something to give, while Danger as good as he is is also at the end of his prime. They are 1 of the 2 teams i think will miss the 8 from the 2018 finalists. No one is envious of geelongs 2019 list.

Geelong 2007 and geelong 2019 are miles apart. The main difference being the 2007 list was choc full of stars coming into their prime together. The 2019 list is having 1 last shot at a flag while Gaz and selwood still have something to give, while Danger as good as he is is also at the end of his prime. They are 1 of the 2 teams i think will miss the 8 from the 2018 finalists. No one is envious of geelongs 2019 list.

This guy gets it :)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

People said the same thing about the Eagles youth last season. The 'experts' coukdnt see where the improvement would come from. Eagles had no good kids and a weak midfield.

Cats need their young guys to step up. Talking about Ratugolea, Cockatoo, Parfitt, Narkle, Guthrie, Fogarty and older guys like Ablett and Scott Selwood.

Dahlhaus and Rohan will add some needed pace.

A kid like Meirs to come in and create some small forward excitment.

Too many negative doubters.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
2019 is Fremantle's year!!

Freomaniac
I can dream about freo making the finals.

I just noticed your new sig. Good to see Virat Kohli make history with india. He reminds me of Alan Border: Captain grumpy but without the beer gut!:)
Well, the fruit does fall early over there.....
Well I live in South Australia of all places. Apples and Oranges do fall early here. When South Australia is one of the Driest and Hottest areas on earth, nothing surprises me.

zucchini

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chris Scott cam will be glorious to watch this year, for a coach that is not even in the top 10 in the League it's crazy his contract has been extended.

Talk about getting it totally wrong all in the name of stability instead of performance.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I honestly can't see it. I reckon them, Hawks and Swans will all have to fight hard to even snag a spot in the 8 as I reckon they'll be in the massive logjam (5th to 11th) with the likes of Pies, Crows, North & Bombers.

I honestly can't see it. I reckon them, Hawks and Swans will all have to fight hard to even snag a spot in the 8 as I reckon they'll be in the massive logjam (5th to 11th) with the likes of Pies, Crows, North & Bombers.

Don’t have your own side in there?

I think it’s entirely possible Dees fans might be getting slightly ahead of themselves on the back of two wins against the weakest 2018 finalists.

They were absolutely clobbered by West Coast, and that was on the back of a second half of the year that saw them go 6-5.

Would not be entirely surprised to see them miss the eight.

Back