Geelong for the flag in 2019?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Don’t have your own side in there?

I think it’s entirely possible Dees fans might be getting slightly ahead of themselves on the back of two wins against the weakest 2018 finalists.

They were absolutely clobbered by West Coast, and that was on the back of a second half of the year that saw them go 6-5.

Would not be entirely surprised to see them miss the eight.

Melbourne are perfectly poised to start pushing for a grand final berth.
Go look at how many 25-28 year old's they have.
Nathan Jones and Jordan Lewis are virtually finished and already replaced.
They have added a young ruckman to the list with enormous potential. It will allow Gawn to roam around the ground more frequently just as he did last year.
Throw in Steven May (and return of Jake Lever) and outside speed of Kolodjashnij, they are certainties to make the eight and probably short priced odds to make the four.

Melbourne are perfectly poised to start pushing for a grand final berth.
Go look at how many 25-28 year old's they have.
Nathan Jones and Jordan Lewis are virtually finished and already replaced.
They have added a young ruckman to the list with enormous potential. It will allow Gawn to roam around the ground more frequently just as he did last year.
Throw in Steven May (and return of Jake Lever) and outside speed of Kolodjashnij, they are certainties to make the eight and probably short priced odds to make the four.

Don’t get me wrong, I think they are more likely than not to make the eight, and can possibly push for top 4.

I just find the presumption that they are walking in to a top 4 finish to be... odd. I can personally see them finishing anywhere from top to twelfth.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Won't even make the 8.
Hard to win the Flag when you miss finals.
Won't be too many who agree with you.

They're more likely to miss out on playing finals altogether.
I’d be absolutely stunned if they did,

I reckon they are more likely to miss the eight.

You blokes will be in for a shock when we finish top 2 again this year for the 9th time in the last 13 seasons.

You blokes will be in for a shock when we finish top 2 again this year for the 9th time in the last 13 seasons.

You’re right, I would be shocked. Geelong are about as vanilla as a side gets.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
You’re right, I would be shocked. Geelong are about as vanilla as a side gets.

I hate to admit it but you are right there.
Geelong is not a physical side and this has been proven to be correct countless times when they have reached the finals.
If the opposing team can smack in hard and early, our players start to second guess things and it leaves to us being crushed in the midfield.
Just not the right caliber of players to withstand battering's from the opposition.
But if you play a free flowing style of game where it's goal against goal, we will beat most teams as we have a lot of attack first players in most positions.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
I hate to admit it but you are right there.
Geelong is not a physical side and this has been proven to be correct countless times when they have reached the finals.
If the opposing team can smack in hard and early, our players start to second guess things and it leaves to us being crushed in the midfield.
Just not the right caliber of players to withstand battering's from the opposition.
But if you play a free flowing style of game where it's goal against goal, we will beat most teams as we have a lot of attack first players in most positions.

True but I think all the other sides are even worse. This is a terrible era of football. Despite what I think of my team when in context to the 17 others it is arguably the best or one of. I haven't seen a better side, I don't think West Coast are better, I don't think GWS are better and I don't think Richmond 2017 were better. Richmond 2018 H&A season was the only side I've seen that were clearly better than ours. But they need to keep it up next season, and we can still beat them at their best. All the others (West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood) have their little eclipse then go back to being pushovers the following seasons. And when it comes to finals Geelong beat themselves more than those other teams beat them. If Geelong don't choke in finals and have form, the only real threat to them is an in form Richmond side. Or possibly GWS at their peak potential (but that's a long winded pipe dream that will never happen).

Last edited:
True but I think all the other sides are even worse. This is a terrible era of football. Despite what I think of my team when in context to the 17 others it is arguably the best or one of. I haven't seen a better side, I don't think West Coast are better, I don't think GWS are better and I don't think Richmond 2017 were better. Richmond 2018 H&A season was the only side I've seen that were clearly better than ours. But they need to keep it up next season, and we can still beat them at their best. All the others (West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood) have their little eclipse then go back to being pushovers the following seasons. And when it comes to finals Geelong beat themselves more than those other team beats them. If Geelong don't choke in finals and have form, the only real threat to them is an in form Richmond side. Or possibly GWS at their peak potential (but that's a long winded pipe dream that will never happen).

That is astonishingly delusional.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
True but I think all the other sides are even worse. This is a terrible era of football. Despite what I think of my team when in context to the 17 others it is arguably the best or one of. I haven't seen a better side, I don't think West Coast are better, I don't think GWS are better and I don't think Richmond 2017 were better. Richmond 2018 H&A season was the only side I've seen that were clearly better than ours. But they need to keep it up next season, and we can still beat them at their best. All the others (West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood) have their little eclipse then go back to being pushovers the following seasons.

I don't see it that way at all.
Geelong has not been a strong cohesive unit since the shattering loss to Hawthorn 2013.
Most years after that loss, we have been very fortunate to win the narrow victories where teams around us on the ladder dropped such games.
In many ways, our top four finishes have completely hidden the glaring weaknesses and it's only been building up since.

2016 was our beat season or opportunity since 2011. The competition was pretty weak. No more Hawthorn to worry about.
We hit the finals in superb form but we barely managed to beat a washed up Hawthorn as we proceeded to get bullied and smacked by Sydney the next final afterward.
2017 and 2018 we have only being making up the numbers.
2019 it will be a lot worse. This current list is incredibly barren. When you have Mark Blicavs winning your best and fairest awards, you know there are major concerns at the cattery.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
True but I think all the other sides are even worse. This is a terrible era of football. Despite what I think of my team when in context to the 17 others it is arguably the best or one of. I haven't seen a better side, I don't think West Coast are better, I don't think GWS are better and I don't think Richmond 2017 were better. Richmond 2018 H&A season was the only side I've seen that were clearly better than ours. But they need to keep it up next season, and we can still beat them at their best. All the others (West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS, Adelaide, Collingwood) have their little eclipse then go back to being pushovers the following seasons. And when it comes to finals Geelong beat themselves more than those other teams beat them. If Geelong don't choke in finals and have form, the only real threat to them is an in form Richmond side. Or possibly GWS at their peak potential (but that's a long winded pipe dream that will never happen).

Why are you Geelong supporters so f***ing delusional?

I don't see it that way at all.
Geelong has not been a strong cohesive unit since the shattering loss to Hawthorn 2013.
Most years after that loss, we have been very fortunate to win the narrow victories where teams around us on the ladder dropped such games.
In many ways, our top four finishes have completely hidden the glaring weaknesses and it's only been building up since.

2016 was our beat season or opportunity since 2011. The competition was pretty weak. No more Hawthorn to worry about.
We hit the finals in superb form but we barely managed to beat a washed up Hawthorn as we proceeded to get bullied and smacked by Sydney the next final afterward.
2017 and 2018 we have only being making up the numbers.
2019 it will be a lot worse. This current list is incredibly barren. When you have Mark Blicavs winning your best and fairest awards, you know there are major concerns at the cattery.

Thank f*** there's one that actually sees that it's not sunshine and rainbows at Geelong.

VineyToClark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why are you Geelong supporters so f***ing delusional?

Thank f*** there's one that actually sees that it's not sunshine and rainbows at Geelong.

Depends which way you want to look at it.

They'll say that the opposition supporters are blinded by hate when it comes to assessing Geelong because of how good they've been for so long.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think it’s entirely possible Dees fans might be getting slightly ahead of themselves on the back of two wins against the weakest 2018 finalists.

They were absolutely clobbered by West Coast, and that was on the back of a second half of the year that saw them go 6-5.

Nah, I've got faith in the Dees to nudge into that top 4 (3rd or 4th is the aim). We've been on a positive trajectory for 5 years in a row now so why not. What is surprising though to me is the amount of impartial fans that actually have your mob going top 2-4 etc. Not having a dig, but I really can't see it when the Bombers are still rolling over to lower sides like Carlton, Brisbane, Freo, Bulldogs, etc

Nah, I've got faith in the Dees to nudge into that top 4 (3rd or 4th is the aim). We've been on a positive trajectory for 5 years in a row now so why not. What is surprising though to me is the amount of impartial fans that actually have your mob going top 2-4 etc. Not having a dig, but I really can't see it when the Bombers are still rolling over to lower sides like Carlton, Brisbane, Freo, Bulldogs, etc

You and me both.

Nothing more frustrating on-field as an Essendon fan over the last several years than watching us wipe the floor with good sides, only to drop games to the worst of the worst. There is ZERO chance we can challenge for a flag unless we correct that issue. Hence, I'd be prepared to write us off immediately if we lose to any of St Kilda, Carlton, Fremantle or Gold Coast - absolutely no excuse for it.

It's funny, because that's the thing Geelong does very well - they very rarely drop games to absolute dumpster fires of teams.

They'll say that the opposition supporters are blinded by hate when it comes to assessing Geelong because of how good they've been for so long.
Or how wrong they've been for so long.

Have they?

I haven't viewed Geelong as a flag capable side for a long, long time.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
You and me both.

Nothing more frustrating on-field as an Essendon fan over the last several years than watching us wipe the floor with good sides, only to drop games to the worst of the worst. There is ZERO chance we can challenge for a flag unless we correct that issue. Hence, I'd be prepared to write us off immediately if we lose to any of St Kilda, Carlton, Fremantle or Gold Coast - absolutely no excuse for it.

It's funny, because that's the thing Geelong does very well - they very rarely drop games to absolute dumpster fires of teams.
Only after the bye

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger

You're underestimating the breakthrough of those two finals wins.

Arguably the AFL's greatest basket-case since the AFL era commenced, no other teams had humiliated and inflicted more pain on the hapless Demons than Hawthorn and Geelong. Regular 100+ point thrashings over the journey, as well as the infamous 186 in Geelong in 2011, which led to Dean Bailey's sacking.

It was poignant that the first two teams Melbourne had to face in their twelve year absence from finals was Geelong and Hawthorn.

That they got the job done in consecutive weeks in front of 90,000+ Friday night crowds was massive. You may think it's insignificant, however, for the club it was a significant turning point.

Last edited:

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Melbourne have all the ingredients to become a very powerful side. But they are not a 3 michelin star club like Geelong and others such as Hawthorn. They would need to get the best out of their list and change their standards as a club. They need a Gordon Ramsay type coach to really up their bar and get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis. Should've went with Malthouse over Goodwin. I think they have a great list and their weaknesses are with their coach and club culture.

They simply made the top 4 and the problem is that's almost as good as a flag to them. They need to dominate far more over the following seasons. 140%+ and no more than 5 losses. But mainly when clubs go to play the Dees they need to be written off before the match is even played.

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You must be one of those Johny come lately Bandwagon Hawthorn supporters - and the Hawks got thousands of those

FACT - when Hawthorn played Geelong at KP - the Hawks had a fantastic record down their - how many times they beat Geel in Geel

Then when the games were transferred to the MCG - the Cats win 11 in a row over the Hawks - all the MCG

Like i say your a " new " "recent " Hawthorn supporter - who doesnt know the Hawks history

Your probably a Richmond supporter who swapped sided 6-7 years ago

So you’re happy with Rohan & Dahlhaus? :grinning:

Back