Geelong for the flag in 2019?

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Na, keep it here. I want it to remain here for the entire season so those embarrassing trolls can remember the errors in their ways.

Yeah bugger it keep it here, it's a blast with all the trolling, our list is better than yours thread
Let those who don't believe eat cake
The OP must be truly wetting him/herself with laughter (knowing what was going to happen when they started this thread)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Using the Tigers , Bulldogs and WC flags as proof anyone can win the flag is pretty silly

Which of those teams was a fading powerhouse that has been trading for years to stay in the picture ?

Jury is out on if it's even possible to trade your way back into the GF once your over the peak and heading down the other side

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Too old - Geel , Hawks , Swans

Too young - Freo , Bris , Dogs , Blues , GCS

Too hard - WC ( b2b from Perth is a big ask , I'm prepared to lay them )

Too ???? - STK , PA*

Teams that can win the 2019 flag - Rich , Melb , Coll , GWS , Ess , Adel and North

*Really you could have PA in the flag bracket and probably should if you are trying to minimise the effect of your own personal perception

1 - 10 - 100 - 1000 $ on all the teams in the flag bracket except Rich at 5's you may need to go 1.5

Mould your bets accordingly prior to prelim weekend for a break even result on GF day at worst

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
To improve enough to win finals in the first place the coach would have to accept that we have to change the way we play & I don’t know if he’s ready to accept that.

If he has accepted that and realised that we need to move the ball faster out of defence & through the midfield, plus apply a lot more pressure inside 50 (which I’m hoping the additions of Dahlhaus + Rohan mean), as well as give more responsibility to the younger guys pushing into the midfield like Parfitt, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, etc then we are a chance imo.

We are such a consistently inconsistent team though so it really could go a few ways:
- Everything we try works & we don’t have too many injuries throughout the year & we actually stand up in finals then we could win the flag.
- We’ll stay around the same mark, making finals but not being a threat in the finals.
- What we change doesn’t work and we finish 12-16th.

No idea which way it’s going to go.
I have zero faith in Scott changing

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Too old - Geel , Hawks , Swans

Too young - Freo , Bris , Dogs , Blues , GCS

Too hard - WC ( b2b from Perth is a big ask , I'm prepared to lay them )

Too ???? - STK , PA*

Teams that can win the 2019 flag - Rich , Melb , Coll , GWS , Ess , Adel and North

*Really you could have PA in the flag bracket and probably should if you are trying to minimise the effect of your own personal perception

1 - 10 - 100 - 1000 $ on all the teams in the flag bracket except Rich at 5's you may need to go 1.5

Mould your bets accordingly prior to prelim weekend for a break even result on GF day at worst

You dismiss Geel as too old yet Adel has an older list and is barely just a touch older than the current premiers.

Swans are younger than melb.

You hardly make a compelling argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
You dismiss Geel as too old yet Adel has an older list and is barely just a touch older than the current premiers.

Swans are younger than melb.

You hardly make a compelling argument.

Fair enough , change ' old ' to ' tired ' then if it makes you feel better , or more accurate again ' too reliant on ageing stars ' but you are right Adel are on the borderline

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Eat away at me? Why? Because they're mediocre and no threat? I'm simply pointing out facts there.

You've got nothing on your list that's going to be able to compete with the likes of Richmond, West Coast, Melbourne, GWS, Collingwood.

Teams like Hawthorn and Essendon are also better and they recruited established talent in Shiel and Wingard (Scully as well if his ankle comes good) while Geelong topped up with Dahlhaus who is in a freefall and Rohan who can barely get on the park and he's not even good when he does.
Looking forward to seeing MFC destroy their supporters hearts all over again

You poor bitter fool

You poor bitter fool
The best part of his tirade was indicating that his opinion was factual based.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

You poor bitter fool

Nah we'll be fine thanks buddy.

The best part of his tirade was indicating that his opinion was factual based.

It is factual based, you only just made the finals and were comfortably beaten by a younger, less experienced team who didn't get out of second gear.

2019 isn't going to get easier for Geelong especially when Dahlhaus and Rohan are the best you can bring in.

It is factual based, you only just made the finals and were comfortably beaten by a younger, less experienced team who didn't get out of second gear.

2019 isn't going to get easier for Geelong especially when Dahlhaus and Rohan are the best you can bring in.
You're still passing off your opinions as facts. :drunk:

That younger and less experienced side was 1 from 3 against Geelong last year.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not a Geelong supporter but I'm tipping them for the flag this year.

Lots of noise coming out of the Cattery this off season about changing things is giving Cats fans the feeling that they could be in for a turnaround similar to the turnaround from 2006 to 2007.

When you look at the previous years the parallels are eerily similar.

Geelong 2004 vs Geelong 2016 - first year of finals with that group of players after rebuilding the list.

Geelong 2005 vs Geelong 2017 - second year of finals into the playing group and both years they could have gone further if not for injuries at the wrong time of year.

Geelong 2006 vs Geelong 2018 - when Cats fans expected everything to come together they felt the playing group was primed but both years they underachieved.

Geelong 2007 vs Geelong 2019 - pre season saw a massive review of the club by the CEO and Scarlett is the other common factor given he instigated the change in the players in 2007 and he is looking to do the same now except as a coach.

Do you think they will be a serious contender this year and possibly win the premiership or are they just making up the numbers?
Have you been on the bongs mate, Geelong have no hope.They will struggle to make the finals and if they do,they have a poor recent record in finals ( 3 wins from past 12). Ablett,Selwood and Taylor are past their best and the teams best 22 carrys a number of average players.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Yes well you showed the second gear is a problem against the weagles!! Ha ha, enjoyed how inept the Dees were given their arrogance during and after the EF.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Have you been on the bongs mate, Geelong have no hope.They will struggle to make the finals and if they do,they have a poor recent record in finals ( 3 wins from past 12). Ablett,Selwood and Taylor are past their best and the teams best 22 carrys a number of average players.

Melbourne and Richmond were on the bottom of the ladder 10 years ago. The fact we're still crushing your flag hopes in the next era is nothing short of ridiculous.

When a club beats Geelong (especially in a final) they begin to see light in what was eternal darkness. It is seriously the maker or breaker of their flag tilt that season. The reaction and mental shift after beating us is incredible.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong's two main problems:

Unless they can create some variety in their forward-line and unless they reprogram their midfield they won't be playing finals. And they're certainly no chance of winning a flag.

Geelong fans - do me a favour. Watch the first quarter again of the elimination final of 2018 (if you still have it). Specifically reference stoppages and contests when the ball is in dispute. Pause the vision. Do this on multiple occasions. What you'll see is Melbourne constantly outnumbering you around the contest and around the outside of the contest. On rare occasions Geelong have the same number of players in the screen shot (never more), but even then, close to the actual ball there will be 3-4 Melbourne players to 1-2 Geelong players. Even when the ball leaves that contest the next contest is the same. Geelong being outnumbered. Over the course of 120 minutes you're not going to win games with "heat" when your midfield is reactionary and second to the ball.

Unless Chris Scott changes what he wants from his midfielders they have no chance of winning a flag.

It's game-plan and style as much as personnel that's the issue for Geelong.

Good post - do you really think the club will be thinking they've got the right style / gameplan after 2018? Think they'll stick to their guns and run out the same stuff again?

Luckily it's the easiest think to adjust over a preseason.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Good post - do you really think the club will be thinking they've got the right style / gameplan after 2018? Think they'll stick to their guns and run out the same stuff again?

Luckily it's the easiest think to adjust over a preseason.
I was probably a bit flippant just referencing game-plan.

How midfielders play around the contest isn't necessarily just "game-plan". It's intent, it's personnel, and it's how they're coached/developed.

Chris Scott has mentioned over the off-season that you're going to play more a territory game (like Richmond, Melbourne), which is good in theory, but unless your midfield approach stoppages and contests differently things won't change much.

I assume you assume they will.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
This sort of crap doesn't help your credibility.

I'm the one with no credibility but you have delusional supporters that think they can finish in the top 2? Okay.

Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett are another year older and they were only good enough to get Geelong to limp into 8th.

How exactly are you getting into the top 2?

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm the one with no credibility but you have delusional supporters that think they can finish in the top 2? Okay.

Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett are another year older and they were only good enough to get Geelong to limp into 8th.

How exactly are you getting into the top 2?

Over 10 years on the site and you still bite at those posters? I won't tip them for top 2.

However, strange and unpredictable things happen all the time in football. I'm not party to the inner workings of the Geelong Football Club, not sure I could answer that for you.

Even with hindsight, can you tell me how West Coast won the flag last year after finishing 8th and being written off?

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Over 10 years on the site and you still bite at those posters? I won't tip them for top 2.

However, strange and unpredictable things happen all the time in football. I'm not party to the inner workings of the Geelong Football Club, not sure I could answer that for you.

Even with hindsight, can you tell me how West Coast won the flag last year after finishing 8th and being written off?

Improvements in players like Gaff, Yeo, Darling, Redden, Shuey, Sheed, Duggan, McGovern, Barrass, Cripps, Sheppard, Hutchings etc.

All of those guys have between 50-200 games experience and in their primes, mixed in with veterans like Hurn, LeCras and Kennedy and a few young players that are able to play roles and not overly relied upon to carry a heavy load.

Using the same games bracket (50-200 games) Geelong have Menegola, Bews, Kolodjashnij, Rohan, Smith, Stanley, Blicavs, Guthrie, S.Selwood, Tuohy, Dahlhaus, Henderson, Duncan.

There's some good players there yes but there's hardly enough there to justify the garbage spewed by old Cocko, you really think that guys that have played less than 50 games are going to be able to do anything substantial in 2019 in terms of finals? Tom Stewart has played 43 games, the next closest to him is Parfitt, Cockatoo and Parsons with 34, 34 and 31 games respectively. I'm sure as a Geelong supporter you would have noticed how inconsistent even a promising player like Parfitt was in 2018 did you not? They can look like future stars one game and like they don't belong anywhere near AFL level the next.

For example, a massive reason why I'm bullish on my teams prospects for 2019 is because the majority of the list has hit that 50 game barrier and they've done it together, they've had multiple pre-seasons together, played a few seasons at AFL level together and they've started to put it all together more consistently which has resulted in reaching the finals and winning finals. The majority of Geelongs current talent is at either end of the spectrum, guys like Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett aren't going to get better now and the guys like Parfitt, Cockatoo, Parsons, Ratugolea, Fogarty, Henry, Cunico are too young to be consistently relied upon in 2019. The "in-between" group isn't good enough (or deep enough) to match it with the likes of West Coast, Richmond, GWS, Collingwood, Melbourne and I firmly believe that teams like Essendon (after recruiting Shiel and regaining Daniher), North (enhancing their depth with Polec, Tyson, Hall, Pittard) and Adelaide (Health and an easy draw) are going to go past Geelong in 2019.

Is that better?

Back