Toast Geelong - going pokies free

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You are indeed sensible then.
I tend to be a libertarian in most things... if people want to do it ..what worse for society to have the freedom to play them or have rules that ban them.. the world is hardly short of ways to spend money gambling... watch footy an you are blitzed with that rubbish.
Some would take their hate to not investing in Aristocrat ... making money by investing in the business that makes the machines..
Does us not having them mean less peopel gamble... or does it actually mean the money goes into worthless causes? Like Hotel owners pockets ..

I tend to be a libertarian in most things... if people want to do it ..what worse for society to have the freedom to play them or have rules that ban them.. the world is hardly short of ways to spend money gambling... watch footy an you are blitzed with that rubbish.
Some would take their hate to not investing in Aristocrat ... making money by investing in the business that makes the machines..
Does us not having them mean less peopel gamble... or does it actually mean the money goes into worthless causes? Like Hotel owners pockets ..
I don't want the poor little gamblers to stop gambling if that's what they want to do.
But I'm more than happy for the club to look at more family friendly ways to make cash.

Gambling adds nothing to society in any positive way.

In my opinion people should be free to gamble all they like, but if I had it my way there would be no government sanctioned licensing for any venues or online gambling businesses.

Let people who really want to, head back to the underground gambling scenes. This scenario of course wouldn't be victimless and would put gambling back in the hands of organised crime. Let the police do their job then in accordance with the laws.

This would A. Still give people the freedom of choice but much more importantly, B. take gambling out of the spotlight and away from the masses.

Make no mistake, the flood of gambling advertisement over the last 10 years can't last forever and it was never meant to. It was always designed to rope in a whole generation of young people by association before the inevitable public outcry leads to a forced counter move by the state governments.

All adults who have not warned their children vigorously about the minefield that is gambling or have not taken issue with the flood of marketing by gambling agencies, have not done their due diligence in regard to educating and protecting our next generations. They now have one further blight to deal with because of our lack of action.

Gambling adds nothing to society in any positive way.

In my opinion people should be free to gamble all they like, but if I had it my way there would be no government sanctioned licensing for any venues or online gambling businesses.

Let people who really want to, head back to the underground gambling scenes. This scenario of course wouldn't be victimless and would put gambling back in the hands of organised crime. Let the police do their job then in accordance with the laws.

This would A. Still give people the freedom of choice but much more importantly, B. take gambling out of the spotlight and away from the masses.

Make no mistake, the flood of gambling advertisement over the last 10 years can't last forever and it was never meant to. It was always designed to rope in a whole generation of young people by association before the inevitable public outcry leads to a forced counter move by the state governments.

All adults who have not warned their children vigorously about the minefield that is gambling or have not taken issue with the flood of marketing by gambling agencies, have not done their due diligence in regard to educating and protecting our next generations. They now have one further blight to deal with because of our lack of action.
Like it or not, putting gambling back in the hands of the criminals is an absolutely sure-fire way of rapidly increasing and spreading police corruption.
And, of course, of corrupting the events upon which people gamble; such as, for example, VFL footy in the old days, and modern cricket, horse-racing and soccer.
Has been, every place, every time.
And the profits would inevitably be used to finance other more vicious and insidious types of crime.

Like it or not, putting gambling back in the hands of the criminals is an absolutely sure-fire way of rapidly increasing and spreading police corruption.
And, of course, of corrupting the events upon which people gamble; such as, for example, VFL footy in the old days, and modern cricket, horse-racing and soccer.
Has been, every place, every time.
And the profits would inevitably be used to finance other more vicious and insidious types of crime.

LOL, wake up man, where do you think organised crime moved to after racketeering, booze, gambling and prostitution were no longer big money makers?

Drugs & Sport fixing.

Sport fixing is rife.

As for giving the gambling back to organised crime, if the police did their job there wouldn't be organised crime to begin with, on a second point, it's not as if you are legitimately giving gambling to organised crime under my proposal, i am just assuming that would be the outcome and it would be a thousand times less damaging across society to have to only deal with gambling on that low level with so few people involved in that world as opposed to having to deal with a nation wide epidemic, don't fool yourself, the flow on effects from one hooked generation will be significant.

It goes without saying, the less revenue flow, the less corruption and crime you have to deal with.

Last edited:
LOL, wake up man, where do you think organised crime moved to after racketeering, booze, gambling and prostitution were no longer big money makers?

Drugs & Sport fixing.

Sport fixing is rife.

As for giving the gambling back to organised crime, if the police did their job there wouldn't be organised crime to begin with, on a second point, it's not as if you are legitimately giving gambling to organised crime under my proposal, i am just assuming that would be the outcome and it would be a thousand times less damaging across society to have to only deal with gambling on that low level with so few people involved in that world as opposed to having to deal with a nation wide epidemic, don't fool yourself, the flow on effects from one hooked generation will be significant.

It goes without saying, the less revenue flow, the less corruption and crime you have to deal with.
You would have to spend significantly more money on police, yet there would be less money to spend as all money from gambling taxes would be going straight into criminals pockets

You would have to spend significantly more money on police, yet there would be less money to spend as all money from gambling taxes would be going straight into criminals pockets

You are over looking one key factor, that is, the underground gambling market would be so much smaller than a government sanctioned gambling industry thru licensing, it wouldn't even be comparable.

The size and revenue from modern gambling with all it's advertisements compared to an underground scene would be like the Sun looking down on the Earth.

Also, I for one have never bought into the ''taxes=money to spend for government'' side off a debate when it comes to an issue that is proven all around the world to be a complete negative for society. There are other ways to gain tax dollars without selling cancer to your people..

Gambling is like every other issue in the world, no one cares until it affects them directly, every one puts issues such as it out of mind and tells themselves I/my family are to smart to ever get deeply involved in something like that. That is a foolish way to view such issues. It only takes one person amongst a group of friends to start to influence others, it will never suck in everybody but that's the genius of the marketing targeting young blokes. You just need to get one lad talking to his circle of mates about how he had a good win on the dogs or w/e and how he just chucks a fiver on something when he is *ing bored and it's all a bit of fun...

Some people will say, well if something is so bad why wouldn't you just ban it altogether?
Well, if we take examples like prohibition in the States we see that it was a complete failure. Banning things never works. The problem is thinking like yours, as it's the same thinking that the government has i.e.. If we are not going to ban it why wouldn't we want to control it and gain tax dollars from it? That greedy type of mindset leads to something that could just be legal but contained becoming a government sanctioned industry and a relied upon revenue. If the product has a wide reaching negative effect it just balloons the problem inmeasurably.

Last edited:
Kind of pointless if they are just going to be in another venue. Won't make a difference to the problem, just makes someone feel good about themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are over looking one key factor, that is, the underground gambling market would be so much smaller than a government sanctioned gambling industry thru licensing, it wouldn't even be comparable.

The size and revenue from modern gambling with all it's advertisements compared to an underground scene would be like the Sun looking down on the Earth.

Also, I for one have never bought into the ''taxes=money to spend for government'' side off a debate when it comes to an issue that is proven all around the world to be a complete negative for society. There are other ways to gain tax dollars without selling cancer to your people..

Gambling is like every other issue in the world, no one cares until it affects them directly, every one puts issues such as it out of mind and tells themselves I/my family are to smart to ever get deeply involved in something like that. That is a foolish way to view such issues. It only takes one person amongst a group of friends to start to influence others, it will never suck in everybody but that's the genius of the marketing targeting young blokes. You just need to get one lad talking to his circle of mates about how he had a good win on the dogs or w/e and how he just chucks a fiver on something when he is f*n bored and it's all a bit of fun...

Some people will say, well if something is so bad why wouldn't you just ban it altogether?
Well, if we take examples like prohibition in the states we see that is was a complete failure. Banning things never works. The problem is thinking like yours, as it's the same thinking that the government has i.e.. If we are not going to ban it why wouldn't we want to control it and gain tax dollars from it? That greedy type of mindset leads to something that could just be legal but contained becoming a government sanctioned industry and a relied upon revenue. If the product has a wide reaching negative effect it just balloons the problem inmeasurably.
Yeah you make a good point. Gotta say I reckon, actually I know there's people who would not normally be gamblers have got into it cause of pokies.

Yeah you make a good point. Gotta say I reckon, actually I know there's people who would not normally be gamblers have got into it cause of pokies.

It's as simply as close proximity and incessant promotion. I met a guy once who drank at the same pub every Friday night. One week, after countless invitations from the pub staff and occasional glances at the adjacent gaming room, he wandered in and put a few dollars through the machines.

He was hooked within three weeks and broke within six months. Thankfully he came to his senses and fought his way out of it. But he's a classic example of the person for whom the industry held no interest initially. So it took incessant exposure and all too easy access to compel him to cross over and lose it all.

From my perspective, a football club becoming the avenue for that sad exchange to take place is simply anathema to the club's ethos of fostering community and seeking to benefit its constituents. And I'm very glad to see that a number of other AFL clubs are getting on board with our principled stance regarding this issue as well.

People will continue to gamble, no doubt. There will still be plenty of avenues for that. But for our club to continue to profit from the guaranteed misery of some of its members (and their vulnerable dependents) is a reality I believe we can well and truly do without.

What's wrong with feeling good?
Because it does nothing to actually fix the problem in our community. Society is full of people that want to feel good, not do good. The club would be better off keeping the Pokies and then using that profit to make a difference in the community in relation to anti-gambling efforts.

I'm for the eradication of pokies not just the moving them to a different venue where the problem is exactly the same.

It's as simply as close proximity and incessant promotion. I met a guy once who drank at the same pub every Friday night. One week, after countless invitations from the pub staff and occasional glances at the adjacent gaming room, he wandered in and put a few dollars through the machines.

He was hooked within three weeks and broke within six months. Thankfully he came to his senses and fought his way out of it. But he's a classic example of the person for whom the industry held no interest initially. So it took incessant exposure and all too easy access to compel him to cross over and lose it all.

From my perspective, a football club becoming the avenue for that sad exchange to take place is simply anathema to the club's ethos of fostering community and seeking to benefit its constituents. And I'm very glad to see that a number of other AFL clubs are getting on board with our principled stance regarding this issue as well.

People will continue to gamble, no doubt. There will still be plenty of avenues for that. But for our club to continue to profit from the guaranteed misery of some of its members (and their vulnerable dependents) is a reality I believe we can well and truly do without.
How will this actually reduce gambling though? It will just move it to another venue where the problem will still exist. Its simply a case of out of sight, out of mind.

How will this actually reduce gambling though? It will just move it to another venue where the problem will still exist. Its simply a case of out of sight, out of mind.

In my view it's actually an opportunity to close a convenient entry point for the temptation of gambling to enter a person's life. There are many footy followers (myself included) who would have no interest in and little exposure to the gambling industry if it wasn't for their relentless campaigning around the sporting code they follow.

I do acknowledge that people can find that access elsewhere if they want to seek it out. But removing its association with something as ubiquitous and endearing as footy will definitely mean fans have less exposure to gambling advertising and more limited access to gambling activities as a result of their interest in the club. And I see that as a definite opportunity for those disinterested in gambling but quite interested in footy to remain that way, instead of finding that their love of the game introduces them to an unhealthy interest in a pastime that will end up robbing them blind.

Last edited:
Kind of pointless if they are just going to be in another venue. Won't make a difference to the problem, just makes someone feel good about themselves.

I understand this frustration, but our strategy is influenced by the anti-tobacco campaigns of the 70s - 90s. They successfully rid sporting events of ciggy adverts to promote the ridiculousness of athletes involved with a terribly unhealthy product.

Unfortunately we’ll never have a ban while both major parties are funded and very friendly with the gambling industry. Any politician who mentions reform is targeted by the deep pockets of Clubs NSW.

But we can chip away at them & promote the idea that pokies & sports gambling aren’t healthy. It is a public health issue; they’re responsible for mental health issues, child abandonment, family violence , bankruptcies, suicide... the list goes on.

Because it does nothing to actually fix the problem in our community. Society is full of people that want to feel good, not do good. The club would be better off keeping the Pokies and then using that profit to make a difference in the community in relation to anti-gambling efforts.

I'm for the eradication of pokies not just the moving them to a different venue where the problem is exactly the same.
I feel bad that you don't like feeling good.

I'm afraid that hasn't worked very well with drugs.

It is true that the poker machine licences sold by Geelong Football Club will be picked up by some other privately owned institution. However, don't discount the fact that Geelong Football Club is seen as leader in the community. Owning poker machines and accepting gambling sponsorship money sends a powerful message to the young and/or impressionable that it is in some way a socially normal thing to do. This is the message the gambling industry want. It is however a socially destructive thing to normalise. That is why applaud this move by the club. They won't solve the problem on their own, but they can be leaders in helping to change the culture of our society surrounding gambling.

The argument of gambling being legal or not is something completely different, and the perfect example of argumentum ad absurdum, it is not relevent to this discussion. Changes in culture change behaviour not the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back