Toast Geelong - going pokies free

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Point Cook gaming venue has been sold:

Great news. And a principled position taken by the club that will reflect very positively on the GFC in days to come.

For all the flak he cops on here, outcomes like this are a key reason why a president like Carter is just fine with me. Took a honest look at the issue, made a brave decision to forego revenue, and embarked on a future without an ongoing cycle of dependence on a questionable income stream. All done with a minimum of fuss or fanfare.

Stay classy, Catters...

Last edited:

So how many less pokies exist after this? None.

A feel good move that will make no difference. They don't have blood on their hands, just sold out to someone else who will have blood on their hands.

Pointless feel good move and represents the exact corporate feel good bullshit that is becoming common place. World being infected by feel good rather than do go.

Can't wait for the end of the Colin Carter generation.

While the poos and wee’s make millions off it. “The family club”.

They need to pay for Dingley. They'll get all morally superior after that's done.

So how many less pokies exist after this? None.

A feel good move that will make no difference. They don't have blood on their hands, just sold out to someone else who will have blood on their hands.

Pointless feel good move and represents the exact corporate feel good bullshit that is becoming common place. World being infected by feel good rather than do go.

Can't wait for the end of the Colin Carter generation.
Whilst I share some of your opinion, I think the fact that they also negotiated their way out of having any betting sponsorship at the stadium and walked away from $4 mil of profits per annum is far more than a feel good move for a club breaking even.

It's a stance.

Last edited:
Whilst I share some of your opinion, I think the fact that they also negotiated their way out of having any betting sponsorship at the stadium and walked away from $4 mil of profits per annum is far more than a feel good move for a club breaking even.

It's a stance.
Yep the no advertising at the ground is huge and should be commended

ill say this much - regardless of the subjet matter - I applaud the club for taking a stance on an issue and then, regardless of the fiscal ramifications, following it thru and executing their vision.

Classy - and its not like this is a small issue with no monetiary backing.

Long dip of the respect hat to Carter, the board and the club.

Odds on it was a tough one ;)
GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um The big boys also getting out of pokies Woolies and West Farmers (Coles),is this also a Stance I doubt it, why do I smell a rat.
Woolies were caught breaching all sorts of regulations, including inducing punters with cheap drinks etc.
It doesn't surprise me that they are going to try and rid themselves of the stench that running pokies has caused them.

Woolies were caught breaching all sorts of regulations, including inducing punters with cheap drinks etc.
It doesn't surprise me that they are going to try and rid themselves of the stench that running pokies has caused them.
Yeah their half yearly profit was only up 37.6% last year and in economically tough times too.Their decision will be a business one with a side salad of virtue signaling.

Last edited:
Yeah their half yearly profit was only up 37.6% last year and in economically tough times too.Their decision will be a business one with a side salad of virtue signaling.
Didn't The Brook make a loss??? Happy to be corrected but it definitely struggled at some stage. So with all due respect, it was probably hardly a poor business decision to leave.

They need to pay for Dingley. They'll get all morally superior after that's done.
Hard to be too critical of them, or any other affiliated club for that matter, who choose not to dispense with them when the AFL is apparently about to sign a multi million dollar deal with a bookmaking outfit.

Pleased we have taken the ethical position though.

Didn't The Brook make a loss??? Happy to be corrected but it definitely struggled at some stage. So with all due respect, it was probably hardly a poor business decision to leave.
Think that you are correct on that one. in the early days of The Brook Brian Cook told us that players would stop in on their way home from Melbourne games and be available to us. What a load of BS. They didn't , they would not have wanted to, they couldn't needing to get back to KP for recovery sessions and many of them didn't even live in Geelong.
Seem to remember that the land that The Brook was built on was someway connected to Costa.

With all due respect, why quote a post referencing Woolies and link it to the Brook?and where did I say it was a poor business decision to leave?

As carter said they were making $4 mil p.a from gaming before they started getting out.
Revenue at the brook the FY was over 7 million.
Profit was 770k.

Hardly an easy business decision.
But from what I can tell it was valued over $2mil plus licenses.

The club expects to be completely debt free in 2020. You'd have to think these funds are being used for that.

As carter said they were making $4 mil p.a from gaming before they started getting out.
Revenue at the brook the FY was over 7 million.
Profit was 770k.

Hardly an easy business decision.
But from what I can tell it was valued over $2mil plus licenses.

The club expects to be completely debt free in 2020. You'd have to think these funds are being used for that.
But the last decade has been the clubs worst off the field apparently.. lmao..:rolleyes:

Go Catters

Couple of interesting stats for you Daz seeing as you're in the USA and wouldn't have heard it this morning on radio.

Most games won this decade. Cats
Most marks taken. HT
I know... I was laughing at a comment made by another poster suggesting that the past decade had been the clubs worst off field since 1970.

Hence my laughter.

Your post was nails.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back