Toast Geelong - going pokies free

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the pokies are going. Only benefits the company that makes them and the club/pub that run them.

Grog is a tricky one. Personally i dont drink at the footy as I have to get up 2 times a quarter to go take a leak...lol.

Addicted gamblers are going to blow their money some where,I'd be more than happy for it to be going into the GFC,we should then get with a $10 Point Cook pokie voucher,a beer,sex wax and a condom with our membership.Stuff caps and key rings.
Under different circumstances you could convince yourself that selling drugs to kids was ok using this logic.

Which is fine, but may explain why many will never see your point of view.

Under different circumstances you could convince yourself that selling drugs to kids was ok using this logic.

Which is fine, but may explain why many will never see your point of view.
I support the freedom to engage in legal activities for all those that wish to participate,I won't bother with the selling drugs to kids line.

I support the freedom to engage in legal activities for all those that wish to participate,I won't bother with the selling drugs to kids line.
It's just another moral line in the sand.

Structuring your argument around the full consequences of pokie addiction, including those to the individuals' immediate and larger community, would probably give your own position a bit more perspective.

I don't want that dirty money because some of it would have been spent on children's needs greater than our weekend entertainment.

It's just another moral line in the sand.

Structuring your argument around the full consequences of pokie addiction, including those to the individuals' immediate and larger community, would probably give your own position a bit more perspective.

I don't want that dirty money because some of it would have been spent on children's needs greater than our weekend entertainment.
There are no winners in the long run but ever thought of the good I and others like me do with the money we can afford lose going into government coffers to support others in greater need.We save the tax payer plenty and help local communities at the same time, if you play the right venues RSLs Sports clubs.
Sure there are those that shouldn't go anywhere near pokies but lets stop banning every thing because of minorities and save the world do gooders.

There are no winners in the long run but ever thought of the good I and others like me do with the money we can afford lose going into government coffers to support others in greater need.We save the tax payer plenty and help local communities at the same time, if you play the right venues RSLs Sports clubs.
Sure there are those that shouldn't go anywhere near pokies but lets stop banning every thing because of minorities and save the world do gooders.
Sure, it is an extremely inefficient tax system that has multiple layers of private enterprise skimming the cream off those funds.They then channel those funds into dubious charitable purposes and tax dodging, in doing so, draining revenue streams for targeted and useful social expenditure.

That is just my opinion. I don't care if you want to throw your money away, I do sometimes too. I would be interested in knowing what percentage minority of people who can't help themselves you think are worth banning them completely for?

Winner are grinners a handy $600+ this arvo will brighten Xmas up even more.

Winners are grinners indeed.

And the losers are all the punters who had to forfeit their funds in order for you to have this windfall.

After all, punters don't ever 'beat the system'. All they do is take the money of other individuals who have suffered the misfortune of losing this time around.

Whilst the company running the show continues to rake in their guaranteed profits ad infinitum, despite any of the individual 'wins' some players might have.

Anyway, it's all guaranteed to live on as a supposedly innocuous lark to 'entertain' the general populace. Even those like me who are opposed to the activity are entirely resigned to that.

So I'm simply glad to see that the Pies have this week also joined the litany of AFL clubs pulling the pin on propagating the pain that pokies inflict on vulnerable individuals.

And, most importantly, their entirely innocent family members.

Winners are grinners indeed.

And the losers are all the punters who had to forfeit their funds in order for you to have this windfall.

After all, punters don't ever 'beat the system'. All they do is take the money of other individuals who have suffered the misfortune of losing this time around.

Whilst the company running the show continues to rake in their guaranteed profits ad infinitum, despite any of the individual 'wins' some players might have.

Anyway, it's all guaranteed to live on as a supposedly innocuous lark to 'entertain' the general populace. Even those like me who are opposed to the activity are entirely resigned to that.

So I'm simply glad to see that the Pies have this week also joined the litany of AFL clubs pulling the pin on propagating the pain that pokies inflict on vulnerable individuals.

And, most importantly, their entirely innocent family members.
That's how all gambling works. The TOTE, Sports Betting even the lottery.
And yes your right, gambling has existed since the dawn of civilization and always will continue.
Yeah strange to see the Pies opt out. Didn't make a fuss about it for years, or use it as an excuse to put prices up just actually did it.

Actually giving mine away,not using it enough.
Yeah they're like that. I've had quite a few but end up hardly using em.
Its awkward for me, my kids are still to young to let them kayak with me on their own single ones with me in the Murray, but old enough to not wanna look uncool by being in a canoe with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how all gambling works. The TOTE, Sports Betting even the lottery.

No arguments there. Always predicated on fellow punters losing for anybody to have a win. While those who run the show don't end up having to gamble anything at all.

Gambling has existed since the dawn of civilization and always will continue.

You're right about that as well. Doesn't mean it must be seen as a morally equitable activity, though.

Yeah strange to see the Pies opt out. Didn't make a fuss about it for years, or use it as an excuse to put prices up just actually did it.

Doesn't seem that strange to me in the light of the majority of clubs moving away from this revenue stream.

It's a very questionable pastime for footy clubs to be promoting and I think the Pies (like so many others) are glad to disassociate themselves from the torment that problem gambling brings to its greatest victims (that is, those who are materially dependent on the afflicted who lose their money - and their minds - in the vain pursuit of the windfall that will 'set them up for life').

Of course, the irony of them being 'set up for life' could hardly be more profound.

Or more tragic, for that matter.

No arguments there. Always predicated on fellow punters losing for anybody to have a win. While those who run the show don't end up having to gamble anything at all.

You're right about that as well. Doesn't mean it must be seen as a morally equitable activity, though.

Doesn't seem that strange to me in the light of the majority of clubs moving away from this revenue stream.

It's a very questionable pastime for footy clubs to be promoting and I think the Pies (like so many others) are glad to disassociate themselves from the torment that problem gambling brings to its greatest victims (that is, those who are materially dependent on the afflicted who lose their money - and their minds - in the vain pursuit of the windfall that will 'set them up for life').

Of course, the irony of them being 'set up for life' could hardly be more profound.

Or more tragic, for that matter.
I educated my two boys and set myself up for life years ago and wouldn't have dreamed about playing pokies back then, in fact I wouldn't have had the time,so why do i go on semi regular basis now,simple answer sense of community and a break from the never ending maintenance around the home,I love my footy I love my fishing,I enjoy being here but the pokies and RSL in particular give me community and if I drop $50 or $100 it's money I can easily afford and it's no skin off my families noses.On the other hand a nice little win like yesterday will be icing on this years Xmas cake.I might need a bigger tree to put the presents under.
I do agree there are those that have a problem and that's sad.

I educated my two boys and set myself up for life years ago and wouldn't have dreamed about playing pokies back then, in fact I wouldn't have had the time,so why do i go on semi regular basis now,simple answer sense of community and a break from the never ending maintenance around the home,I love my footy I love my fishing,I enjoy being here but the pokies and RSL in particular give me community and if I drop $50 or $100 it's money I can easily afford and it's no skin off my families noses.On the other hand a nice little win like yesterday will be icing on this years Xmas cake.I might need a bigger tree to put the presents under.

Thanks, ypo.

Appreciate your candour.

It surprises me that you find the community side of it so enjoyable.
I just find the playing atmosphere in pokies rooms claustrophobic almost to the point of panic!
But that's just me. My mum loves the deal, and just like you doesn't go overboard.
On another note though, as a muso I have a natural hate for pokies because they have taken over many good pubs that were excellent live music venues.

It surprises me that you find the community side of it so enjoyable.
I just find the playing atmosphere in pokies rooms claustrophobic almost to the point of panic!
But that's just me. My mum loves the deal, and just like you doesn't go overboard.
On another note though, as a muso I have a natural hate for pokies because they have taken over many good pubs that were excellent live music venues.
The RSL on the island is well set out with everything including live bands during the day (not every day)and evenings that you can hear from the machines,we are a population of around 16,000 so just a few more than say Colac,you always run into people you know and the gaming room is spacious and well lit with first class air conditioning,in fact on real hot days a lot of the real oldies come in and play the machines for a cent or two to stay cool, they also get free coffee and tea, ice cold water and most days a snack to eat,in some cases it's probable kept them alive or from being hospitalized.It's not all bad.

The RSL on the island is well set out with everything including live bands during the day (not every day)and evenings that you can hear from the machines,we are a population of around 16,000 so just a few more than say Colac,you always run into people you know and the gaming room is spacious and well lit with first class air conditioning,in fact on real hot days a lot of the real oldies come in and play the machines for a cent or two to stay cool, they also get free coffee and tea, ice cold water and most days a snack to eat,in some cases it's probable kept them alive or from being hospitalized.It's not all bad.
Sounds like a better set up than most. When you say island, I'm assuming you don't mean New Mexico?;)

Winner are grinners a handy $600+ this arvo will brighten Xmas up even more.
Went back Saturday arvo to the same machine the Major jackpot had only progressed to $256 I reckon 10 spins at 30 cents and wacko the didilo up she came,the minor jackpot was at it's max on $60 which is the one I'd been looking to win playing small amounts the last two trips,I dropped 30 or 40 bucks on a couple of dud machines so returned to my old favorite and yep up came the $60.I'm guessing but in around 25 spins on that machine I got two majors and a minor total about $940.When your hot your hot.

You put in 100, you get back 80. 95% of people who play pokies are fine, but that 5% get sucked into the highly developed psychological trap they create and end up putting their whole life into them. I have one friend who lost his house because his wife put it through the pokies, another mate who's partner burnt a 300k TAC payout on them (before tax so now they have a 100k tax liability and no money). I know alcoholics and druggies but the most damage i've seen has come from the pokies. Also, they are bottom feeders, you don't get many rich bastards losing it on the pokies, most losses are born by people who truly cant afford it. They are genuinely evil things in my opinion and I cant wait for footy clubs to break their dependence on easy money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back