Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obeanie makes me want to bang my head against the wall. At least he's not complaining about umpires I guess.

Why?

I agree its not fair. But there are dozens of fixtures that arent fair for most clubs.

Unless we have a season where everyone plays each other twice and clubs dont sell home games to China, Darwin or Northern Antartica AND every capital has a stadium the holds 90,000 plus it will be an unfair fixture.

So until then the unfair aspects of the fixture should be spread as evenly across all clubs the best way it can be.

A problem shared is a problem halved.

Isnt that fair?

If Geelong want to be treated like an interstate club, they should be given as few games at the MCG as interstate clubs during the H&A season.
Play all their home games at that sub standard ground if they want. Most of their fans will rarely, if ever get to see them play a home game. But that's OK. For them it's not about the fans. They have been conditioned to expect the AFL, other clubs, and the tax payer carry them, without them having to contribute anything to the game or the fans.

Cats who play homes games at the MCG play finals at the MCG. Par for the course, they don't get an advantage except against interstate teams.

Wouldn't even really call it an advantage, we play there 2 more times than you guys this year, we just aren't disadvantaged like when we play the MCG tenants there.

**** your fans, it's Geelong's home game

Because being a Richmond member doesn't guarantee you entry to another teams home ground, pretty simple concept.
No wonder you guys don't want us down there after your mob got so bent out of shape after the 2017 final when the loud 'threatening' Tigers fans made some of your fans feel uncomfortable.

BTW a Richmond H&A game membership does entitle us to entry, subject to capacity, unfortunately the 36k capacity ground at Geelong doesn't allow for a good number of us or any opposition fans to attend, matter of fact it doesn't even cater to your own membership base. Like I said earlier, if you get a bigger capacity at the stadium and you can play every game you want down there as far as I'm concerned.

No wonder you guys don't want us down there after your mob got so bent out of shape after the 2017 final when the loud 'threatening' Tigers fans made some of your fans feel uncomfortable.

BTW a Richmond H&A game membership does entitle us to entry, subject to capacity, unfortunately the 36k capacity ground at Geelong doesn't allow for a good number of us or any opposition fans to attend, matter of fact it doesn't even cater to your own membership base. Like I said earlier, if you get a bigger capacity at the stadium and you can play every game you want down there as far as I'm concerned.
lol

If Geelong want to be treated like an interstate club, they should be given as few games at the MCG as interstate clubs during the H&A season.
Play all their home games at that sub standard ground if they want. Most of their fans will rarely, if ever get to see them play a home game. But that's OK. For them it's not about the fans. They have been conditioned to expect the AFL, other clubs, and the tax payer carry them, without them having to contribute anything to the game or the fans.

Well, that’s what they want? That is exactly what Geelong wants. They want 11 games at Skilled and if they finish high enough get a final there. So not sure what your point is.

And Geelong doesn’t contribute anything to the game? Please, that’s just melodramatic.

Well, that’s what they want? That is exactly what Geelong wants. They want 11 games at Skilled and if they finish high enough get a final there. So not sure what your point is.
That Geelong supporters who can’t afford season tickets with reserved seats for them and their families.
Their kids may drift to other teams and you will be stuck being increasingly the smallest club in the AFL.
Not a sustainable business model in my opinion

Im a realist.

The AFL doesnt support one team over another it governs for the best outcome for the game with the fans being #1 priority.

No fans no $$$$. No fans no sponsors. No competition.

The comp isnt fair. Every side should cop some portion of that burden.

You dont agree?

If your club makes the Grand Final and wins it the fans will continue to flock to the club and generate more money in the long term. One game does not keep a club afloat and since if it was at Geelong they would be taking money from food sales, tickets, parking etc then they would be earning a lot from it anyway. The whole idea of no fans= no money when it comes to finals is just a non argument i'm afraid.

Surprisingly, Richmond's media mouthpiece doesn't believe so.

And being associated with Richmond, I'm sure she's very familiar with whinging :)
1fb8390544fa37b6bfa47876c7d7cb1a.jpg

They’ve played one final there in over 100 years.
My daughters u11 football team plays on bigger grounds, thats not being a smartass thats a fact.
It’s about 3mtr from being disallowed as a venue for Australian Rules at any level.
IMO that isn’t good enough for a professional sport.

I’ve watched 3 games live in my life and I’m pretty f***ing happy.

They’ve played one final there in over 100 years.
My daughters u11 football team plays on bigger grounds, thats not being a smartass thats a fact.
It’s about 3mtr from being disallowed as a venue for Australian Rules at any level.
IMO that isn’t good enough for a professional sport.

So being within the rules means it should be considered illegal.

F***ing hell stop drinking varnish mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve watched 3 games live in my life and I’m pretty f***ing happy.
And played 0.
If Geelong's business model is that only 30k fans (the same ageing ones all the time) can see Geelong play at home, supporters will go elsewhere, either to other clubs or other leagues. The other clubs will continue to grow their support while Geelong stagnates, shrinks then eventually disappears in a puff of irrelevance.

Brian Cook has said Geelong has been asking for 11 home games at KP for a long time.

Brian Cook talks garbage and you fools gobble it up.

Geelong has never asked to play 11 home games at Kardinia because goodbye Melbourne support and members.

Who were the founding clubs again? Melbourne and who?
Your team joined our comp, all players play for an award named after a Geelong person
What have Richmond ever given to the game apart from the Grog Squad and endless Gary Ablett Snr highlights?

And played 0.
If Geelong's business model is that only 30k fans (the same ageing ones all the time) can see Geelong play at home, supporters will go elsewhere, either to other clubs or other leagues. The other clubs will continue to grow their support while Geelong stagnates, shrinks then eventually disappears in a puff of irrelevance.

It’s a great point.

Me playing none has a huge impact on your argument and gives it extraordinary validity.
Of course the fact that we make more money from a home game than an MCG game is proof we can’t survive playing at home.

As is the fact that up until 6 or 7 years ago our crowds were almost a third smaller than they are now. And we’ve still managed to survive for 160 years.

It’s a great point though and well thought out

So Dangerfield comes out today and agrees the competition isn't fair to interstate clubs regarding the grand final. Reckons it should be the team that finishes top.

Did he raise this 'unfairness' last year or the years prior?

Or is it just now because he wants a home final for Geelong week 1?

When asked whether he would be comfortable playing a home final at the MCG, Dangerfield replied: “It’s not perfect.
“If you talk fairness around the competition, it’s still not fair. We understand he reasons why, but I think if we finish in that position and earn the right to play a home final then we should get that right.
“It shouldn’t be changed just because of the size of the crowd a stadium can hold. I think the fairness of the competition should override how many spectators can come and view the game.”

So he understands the reasons why the game is scheduled for the MCG but because the Cats finish top they should get a fair deal even though other teams don't. His team is special and should be treated differently?

Oh, and if 20,000 fans get locked out and 5,000 tourists don't bother coming to Melbourne that's also fair..........for his team anyway!!??!!

OK Patrick!:cool::think:

This post is the definition of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face.'

We make finals every year, lol. We always complain about it, alongside the unfairness of the competition. Maybe you're just only now noticing. This was raised in Danger's first year at the club, when GWS got to play the Dogs at their home ground in the prelim (Spotless) despite many more Dogs fans wanting to travel to see the match (fans getting locked out), and we had to play the Hawks at the MCG, instead of at home. Was raised again the following year, where it hit breaking point when we finished above Richmond and we had to play at their home ground.

So let's play devil's advocate here: 2058 Grand Final, Eagles win and the debate is raised again over interstate sides hosting the Grand Final. The argument is made that it's unfair to keep having only a Victoria based final, in a national competition. The counter-argument is made that 40,000 fans will be locked out, due to the difference in stadium capacity between Optus and the MCG.

Judging by your position above, seems as if you think the fans getting locked out takes priority over competition fairness. So therefore, we should have the Grand Final at the MCG, until a stadium is built that is as large/larger than the MCG. Good to know :)

I trust you won't be complaining about 'Vic bias', given that you're in line with the AFL's position?

As many have pointed out, we are the only country in the world that puts attendance numbers over competition equality. The AFL doesn't give a f*ck about its supporters, as evidenced in their controversial rule changes and constant defence of umpiring, MRO, board and committee decisions. The only thing they care about is revenue. The fact that you're ok with that and defending it, says more about you than it does Geelong and Dangerfield.

Last edited:
Its their home ground and the idea of winning a home final is home ground advantage.
Sure as a Crows fan it would suck big time if we had to play them in a final there, and I would much rather face them at Marvel, but the reality is they deserve the home final and all the benefits that brings.

Surprisingly, Richmond's media mouthpiece doesn't believe so.

And being associated with Richmond, I'm sure she's very familiar with whinging :)
1fb8390544fa37b6bfa47876c7d7cb1a.jpg
Love it. It's starting to turn into whinging. Geelong have world champions at whinging since the 2017 Qualifying Final.

For the record, not once in the modern era (which I'd call 1970 onwards) has a final been played at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin, Junction, Lake Oval, Arden St, Princes Park). Nor, to my knowledge, did any of those clubs expect a final at their home ground.

Then there's Geelong.

Last edited:
Love it. It's starting to turn into whinging. Geelong have world champions at whinging since the 2017 Qualifying Final.

For the record, not once in the modern era (which I'd call 1970 onwards) has a final played at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin, Junction, Lake Oval, Arden St, Princes Park). Nor, to my knowledge, did any of those clubs expect a final at their home ground.

Then there's Geelong.

Yeah see all the teams based at those grounds are from the same city as the MCG.
Geelong aren’t.

2nd oldest club in the VFA/VFL/AFL, alongside Melbourne and one of the 6 who founded the VFL

Created one of the most entertaining rivalries of the modern era, with Hawthorn

Revolutionized the gamestyle of clubs, after the slow flood/defence style of the Sydney/West Coast era. Played on at all costs and scored at will, which was a great spectacle

Charles Brownlow - The games most coveted individual award, named after him

Polly Farmer - Changed the very shape of the Ruck role

Gary Ablett Sr. - Brought people from all over Australia in the gates, just to see him play. Was a genuine drawcard for neutral supporters and the game itself

Gary Ablett Jr. - Considered one of, if not the greatest of all time

Matthew Scarlett - Considered alongside Steven Silvagni, as the greast full back of all time. Changed the way a backman was used, by being not just a defender, but allowing his side to rebound and attack via defence

Highest winning percentage in the modern era

Produced 3 Brownlow Medalists in Bartel, Dangerfield and Ablett Jr. (and now possibly a 4th in Kelly this year) who have all been touted as greats of the game, in the modern era

But sure, we haven't contributed sh*t.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back