Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Geelong have every right to host their home finals games at their home stadium. No different from an interstate team. Even vs Pies, Bombers etc.
All sounds good but it locks out up to 50000 supporters and the rules are clear that its a home state final not home ground.

I would think it is a toss up as the more practise at the G in prep for a GF, the better surely?

i just think people are weirdly against the idea of having finals at Skilled. I don’t really get it. It won’t happen but if North or Bulldogs finish high enough they should get games at Marvel, if that’s their preference. I don’t get why it’s an issue with so many supporters.
It’s an issue because nobody beats Geelong there, and Richmond supporters in particular think that constantly raising the topic will somehow make the AFL re-think playing finals there. I think also is that Richmond supporters would hate the notion of having to play there because Geelong plays it so well.

They’ve got a complex.

It’s not about me. But you guys are certainly taking it personal for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Garbage of the highest order. You are trolling. This topic has been well and truly covered off in previous threads, yet here you are striring the pot and feigning surprise that any Geelong poster might disagree with you.

All sounds good but it locks out up to 50000 supporters and the rules are clear that its a home state final not home ground.

I would think it is a toss up as the more practise at the G in prep for a GF, the better surely?

Should never play a game outside the G if that's the case including interstate teams they may have to move to melbourne, pies had to play docklands home game (despite it not being our home ground) last week vs a docklands tenant locking out 50k people.
Its their home game let them host it at their home ground its not like they are a suburb of Melbourne.

Garbage of the highest order. You are trolling. This topic has been well and truly covered off in previous threads, yet here you are striring the pot and feigning surprise that any Geelong poster might disagree with you.

Not at all. It's gonna be an issue for sure and will be coming up soon enough. But hey, you obviously feel uncomfortable about it. Must be time to label and insult.

Unfair? They play 9 home games this year compared to the Tigers 13 at the MCG including the final seven matches in a row!. The Pies play four of their last five out of 14 at the MCG. There is nothing unfair about Geelong at all! If either team finishes 4th Geelong play them on their home ground! Geelong will only get a home final if they play GWS IMO. They won't schedule the Eagles or the Lions down at the Cattery, the Giants would be a certainty. GWS won down there this year! They might like the idea. IMO i would rather not have the pressure of a Cattery home final. If you finish on top you should get as many advantages as you can get. .

Some get more than others ....

Should never play a game outside the G if that's the case including interstate teams they may have to move to melbourne, pies had to play docklands home game (despite it not being our home ground) last week vs a docklands tenant locking out 50k people.
Its their home game let them host it at their home ground its not like they are a suburb of Melbourne.
Marvel holds double Geelongs stadium, as does AO and Optus, even half the Cats supporters wont get a ticket to a final at the Cattery, they should have been made to play home games at Marvel like so many other teams that already had a home ground.

The rule is home state final.

Marvel holds double Geelongs stadium, as does AO and Optus, even half the Cats supporters wont get a ticket to a final at the Cattery, they should have been made to play home games at Marvel like so many other teams that already had a home ground.

The rule is home state final.

Lol the rule is s**t and they can change it on a whim like they have before. What are you scared of?

Geelong 36k. But not like we dont have Tvs.
Marvel 53k. vs MCG 100k + so you locking out heaps here too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate is there a legitimate reason why they shouldn’t get a home final there? I just want you to answer it as a non vested commentator on the situation. It would be like the AFL moving your MCG final to Docklands due to commercial arrangements (hypothetically).

I actually reckon it's too late to make the call on this season to play a final there. What they need to do is rather than decide on whether we need an 18m goal square etc, change the rules/charter whatever it is to avoid this current situation. Mate, can you imagine what is gonna happen if the pies finish 4th, or say if Melbourne or Hawthorn had of? It would be a massive story. Thousands of people will miss out on the opportunity to see their team play finals. And that actually includes Geelong supporters (dunno how many members they have but i would imagine over 60k). The debate rages because it isn't being addressed. Historically since the AFL has commenced they have never played finals there bar the one time due to ground unavailability. It definitely is a home ground advantage if they can land a final there. How would you feel if Melbourne had to roll up there in an elimination final?

No complaints about our draw when we played 4 interstate in the first 10 weeks and a couple at Marvel this season though yeah? And you realise they’re not all Richmond home games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

played 4 interstate in the first 10 weeks

How 'bout that, when 6 or 8 other clubs have played 5 out of 10.

Maybe the Tiges should be allowed 8 on the bench ... man up, win on your merits like many clubs do, not all though & that includes Richmond.

No they don't deserve a home final, they should be treated like the rest of the Non Melbourne clubs - unevenly and unfairly.

I actually reckon it's too late to make the call on this season to play a final there. What they need to do is rather than decide on whether we need an 18m goal square etc, change the rules/charter whatever it is to avoid this current situation. Mate, can you imagine what is gonna happen if the pies finish 4th, or say if Melbourne or Hawthorn had of? It would be a massive story. Thousands of people will miss out on the opportunity to see their team play finals. And that actually includes Geelong supporters (dunno how many members they have but i would imagine over 60k). The debate rages because it isn't being addressed. Historically since the AFL has commenced they have never played finals there bar the one time due to ground unavailability. It definitely is a home ground advantage if they can land a final there. How would you feel if Melbourne had to roll up there in an elimination final?
I get your point but I think if that was the case you’d have a preference given to Geelong and the opposition teams members first. How many does it hold? It’s literally a split of say 40% each with the next 20% going to GA members. First in best dressed.

If Melbourne had to play there it would be fine. It’s their home ground.

Lol the rule is **** and they can change it on a whim like they have before. What are you scared of?

Geelong 36k. But not like we dont have Tvs.
Marvel 53k.
What am I scared of what a stupid question we at least played there for quite a while, your club hasnt had to play at the Cattery in years, so maybe you can kick it off this year, the whole AFL draw is bs set up for maximum profit not fairness, so why change that for one club?

If you want fairness then lets see Collingwood travel as much as other clubs and give everyone a chance at blockbuster games with a totally random draw, under the current system profit is number one thats just the way it is, like it or not.

I get your point but I think if that was the case you’d have a preference given to Geelong and the opposition teams members first. How many does it hold? It’s literally a split of say 40% each with the next 20% going to GA members. First in best dressed.

If Melbourne had to play there it would be fine. It’s their home ground.

I think it's around 50K now? So Geelong v Collingwood. 45k go to the members (about 160k combined) and 5K go to the corporates. Yeah can't see people accepting that. And again, it's a unique stadium which not everyone gets access to. Everyone plays at the G.

What am I scared of what a stupid question we at least played there for quite a while, your club hasnt had to play at the Cattery in years, so maybe you can kick it off this year, the whole AFL draw is bs set up for maximum profit not fairness, so why change that for one club?

If you want fairness then lets see Collingwood travel as much as other clubs and give everyone a chance at blockbuster games with a totally random draw, under the current system profit is number one thats just the way it is, like it or not.

1. We do travel as much as other clubs who dont sell home games to Tas.
2. I know we dont get to play at Geelong mostly due to Geelong requesting their home game vs us be at MCG for $$.
3. I'm happy for us to "kick"" it off should we finish 4th as imo its only fair we do. If you are good enough it wont matter where you play as evidenced by WC winning at the G in recent years.

And the top of the ladder coach has made his feelings known about it....

Let us play home finals: Cats coach Scott | The West Australian
Quoting Chris Scott...
"But at some point ... I think it would be an interesting one to ask the question 'do we as a competition prioritise the integrity and fairness of the competition above things like attendance and revenue?'

"And if we don't then that's OK.

"(But) let's just be honest about it and say 'we understand that we are doing something that is not fair, but we don't care because we prioritise attendance and revenue'."

Hate to mention it Chris but there is nothing fair about the way the AFL is run, its all about revenue, Id happily go back to a fair system even allowing a Cat home final if the rest of the game had a modicum of fairness about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back