Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s face it, Stephen Hocking will give Geelong a home final at their homeground this upcoming finals series. We all know it’s coming after 2 years of complaining (even though it was never an issue before when they could win finals).
So, given that their first final won’t be played at a neutral venue like Marvel or the MCG, will they have an unfair advantage this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Really?
giphy.gif

It is their home ground and if they qualify to use that FAIR advantage kudos to them.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
It will be unfair if they only play non Vic teams at home and then Vic teams at MCG

Unfair on the non Vic teams that is if played in Geelong and not fair on Geelong if played at MCG vs Vic teams.

Play every team at home in Geelong then there is no issue

Reality Check!

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Collingwood, Port Adelaide
All I can say is that the Cats will have an unfair diaadvantage.

Not that they should win it anyway. This team is "literally" s**t.

Let’s face it, Stephen Hocking will give Geelong a home final at their homeground this upcoming finals series. We all know it’s coming after 2 years of complaining (even though it was never an issue before when they could win finals).
So, given that their first final won’t be played at a neutral venue like Marvel or the MCG, will they have an unfair advantage this season?

It is totally unfair that a team that earns a right to a home ground advantage is actually given a home ground advantage. If Geelong has to play West Coast in the QF I don't see how the AFL and Stephen Hocking can allow this game to be played anywhere other than in Perth. Otherwise it isn't fair on West Coast and their fans missing out on seats.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I don’t mind Geelong and admire what the club has done over the last 15 odd years, but I hope they get a final at Kardina Park against a big Vic club like Collingwood and it turns into a disaster for them.

It won’t be the advantage they think it will be. The stadium will be clean without the annual reserve seats for Geelong members, which means it could be jammed with Collingwood supporters with only 20-30 percent being Cats supporters. It will be a self defeating scenario which will just alienate thousands of fans and deprive them experience on the MCG where they are good enough to beat any team at anyway.

Last edited:
No different to the Eagles, Crows, Giants or any other team for that matter finishing in a position which rewards them with home finals. The whole Geelong home finals question is a storm in a tea cup, IMO.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
No different to the Eagles, Crows, Giants or any other team for that matter finishing in a position which rewards them with home finals. The whole Geelong home finals question is a storm in a tea cup, IMO.
Yeah but Eagles, Crows, Giants etc play all teams at home right and not some teams at 1 ground then other teams at another ground?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Did st.kilda, the western bulldogs or any other docklands Home team play finals at the docklands recently? I think when the dogs played Adelaide in an elimination final in 2015 the game was played at the mcg? The afl have always said it’s a home state final not home ground. Besides the cats play home games at kp, docklands and the mcg during the year so the afl will decide which of those 3 grounds is better suited to a Geelong final.

My money is on the mcg just quietly...

Yeah but Eagles, Crows, Giants etc play all teams at home right and not some teams at 1 ground then other teams at another ground?

You play your final depending on where you finish in the 8.

If Eagles finish 1 or 2, they are guaranteed two home finals. If the eagles finish 5th or 6th, they get 1 home final guaranteed, their second game will be as the away team on a different ground.

This has been covered so many times it has become redundant, Geelong is not allowed to play all its games in Geelong they are forced by the AFL to play games in Melbourne.
Did st.kilda, the western bulldogs or any other docklands Home team play finals at the docklands recently? I think when the dogs played Adelaide in an elimination final in 2015 the game was played at the mcg? The afl have always said it’s a home state final not home ground. Besides the cats play home games at kp, docklands and the mcg during the year so the afl will decide which of those 3 grounds is better suited to a Geelong final.

Geelong Don't play home games at docklands anymore.

The question comes back to the AFL finals fixturing, which is not a flaw with the system itself. If they are not going to play St. Kilda, Carlton or Bulldogs home finals at Marvel (for argument's sake), then the same should apply to Geelong or any other Victorian team. You play your home final as a Victorian team at the MCG. The whole point of arguing over Geelong playing at GMHBA stadium now seems like a moot point because the AFL will fixture where they want the games played, however this isnt a problem that BigFooty can solve.

What about Tigers and Pies when they play Essendon twice a year? They get to play both games at home.

And one day if we ever play finals again, if we play them a third time in the season, they get another home game??

I’m all for these games being at the G, so I don’t know why Cats should be given an advantage by playing big Vic at Geelong

The point is it’s a home state based final and has been since AFL inception. Why will Stephen move the goalposts now? I don’t think Richmond will finish top 4, so take my team out of the equation, but i can certainly see the pies finishing 4th.
I don’t think it’s right thousands of people will be denied access (from Geelong supporters as well) when they could go to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back