Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

I still recall the outrage by Richmond fans when the AFL kept our round 21 clash in 2017 at KP and didn't move the game to the G.

Shock horror, a club with a massive supporter base has fans who want to attend a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question comes back to the AFL finals fixturing, which is not a flaw with the system itself. If they are not going to play St. Kilda, Carlton or Bulldogs home finals at Marvel (for argument's sake), then the same should apply to Geelong or any other Victorian team. You play your home final as a Victorian team at the MCG. The whole point of arguing over Geelong playing at GMHBA stadium now seems like a moot point because the AFL will fixture where they want the games played, however this isnt a problem that BigFooty can solve.

But we are allowed to discuss yeah?

How is this advantage more unfair than non-Victorian clubs being forced to play the Grand Final at the MCG?

Since 2000 interstate clubs have won half the grand finals. I don’t think that argument really holds sway.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
The point is it’s a home state based final and has been since AFL inception. Why will Stephen move the goalposts now? I don’t think Richmond will finish top 4, so take my team out of the equation, but i can certainly see the pies finishing 4th.
I don’t think it’s right thousands of people will be denied access (from Geelong supporters as well) when they could go to the game.

GWS v Collingwood final at the Giants Stadium would deny thousands of fans access, maybe that should be played at the MCG

And shock horror a supporter base would rather not play their home final at the oppositions home ground.

Everyone gets to play at the MCG. It’s the most neutral venue we have in the league. And the rules currently say it’s a state based home final.

GWS v Collingwood final at the Giants Stadium would deny thousands of fans access, maybe that should be played at the MCG

Will ANZ stadium be up and running by Sept? That’s where the swans play their finals up there.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Since 2000 interstate clubs have won half the grand finals. I don’t think that argument really holds sway.

and how many of the Grand Finals between Victorian and Non-Victorian clubs was the Non-Victorian team the higher ranked side that should have had the Grand Final at their home ground? If the answer is above 50% then my argument is very relevant.

Everyone gets to play at the MCG. It’s the most neutral venue we have in the league. And the rules currently say it’s a state based home final.

Actually, it states state based home final at the ground which holds the highest capacity. This is why there was outrage when GWS were able to play at home instead of the SCG when they played the Dogs there in 2016. Surely if they can play home finals at a ground that holds 20,000, Geelong can play home finals at a ground with a larger capacity.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
If Geelong are allowed to play a final at GMHBA (which I fully support FWIW) then tenants of Marvel should rightly be able to play their opponents at Marvel. As it stands, Finals don't get played at Marvel so I'd think a final at GMHBA should also be disallowed. I don't agree with this notion, I think if you're a home team you play at your home ground (as opposed to the more broad home state) but I don't make the rules.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Everyone gets to play at Optus stadium too, should we move all games there? I agree it's the most neutral venue in the league but that doesn't change the fact that a team can earn a home final and then be disadvantaged by being forced to play their home final at the oppositions home ground. Maybe the rules should change. Do you really think you would have won the flag in 17 if you had to play the qualifying final at KP where a loss would have sent you to Adelaide for the prelim?

Before the season there is an agreement as to how things will work. If the concept of the final in Geelong was a part of that, then so be it. What we don't want is ad hoc changes made in the month or so prior to the game.

Which is what i think we will get. AFL making it up as they go? Nooooo waaaay, oh wait.....

Everyone gets to play at Optus stadium too, should we move all games there? I agree it's the most neutral venue in the league but that doesn't change the fact that a team can earn a home final and then be disadvantaged by being forced to play their home final at the oppositions home ground. Maybe the rules should change. Do you really think you would have won the flag in 17 if you had to play the qualifying final at KP where a loss would have sent you to Adelaide for the prelim?

We’ll never know. But we can only go on what we have right now.
Every team plays at the G. Essendon for example haven’t played at GMHBA since the 90’s and christ knows how long for the pies. I can see Eddie exploding once reality sets in and so will many others.

Actually, it states state based home final at the ground which holds the highest capacity. This is why there was outrage when GWS were able to play at home instead of the SCG when they played the Dogs there in 2016. Surely if they can play home finals at a ground that holds 20,000, Geelong can play home finals at a ground with a larger capacity.

I think before it happens they need to rework the whole thing then. It should be sorted out before season 2020. Not on the fly in Aug 2019.

I don’t mind Geelong and admire what the club has done over the last 15 odd years, but I hope they get a final at Kardina Park against a big Vic club like Collingwood and it turns into a disaster for them.

It won’t be the advantage they think it will be. The stadium will be clean without the annual reserve seats for Geelong members, which means it could be jammed with Collingwood supporters with only 20-30 percent being Cats supporters. It will be a self defeating scenario which will just alienate thousands of fans and deprive them experience on the MCG where they are good enough to beat any team at anyway.

It would be the funniest thing ever. If they played Collingwood or Richmond at KP, a lot of Geelong reserve members would think they can just rock up in their reserved seats, and then within 10 minutes of tickets going on sale, the opposition have bought 70% of the seating, including the Geelong allocation.

Back