Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
We’ll never know. But we can only go on what we have right now.
Every team plays at the G. Essendon for example haven’t played at GMHBA since the 90’s and christ knows how long for the pies. I can see Eddie exploding once reality sets in and so will many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are just frightened of aeroplanes.

Freo manned up, the OP sooks - anywhere anytime, if you are good enough, :thumbsu: Freo, :thumbsdown: the sooks

The only reason Freo played there was the other grounds were unavailable that weekend. Otherwise, guess what....

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We’ll never know. But we can only go on what we have right now.
Every team plays at the G. Essendon for example haven’t played at GMHBA since the 90’s and christ knows how long for the pies. I can see Eddie exploding once reality sets in and so will many others.

The idea would be that Geelong are able to host all home and away games at KP, money talks though and I would never expect this to happen.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
This has been covered so many times it has become redundant, Geelong is not allowed to play all its games in Geelong they are forced by the AFL to play games in Melbourne.

Geelong Don't play home games at docklands anymore.
But you do play home games at the mcg right? So you will get a home final at the mcg, your other home :)

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
This topic seems to emerge most years.

Currently Geelong is two games and % clear on top of the ladder and seems likely to finish top 2 and earn a home qualifying final, barring a complete collapse.

Brian Cook has already held preliminary discussions with the AFL about the prospect of the hosting a home final should we earn one.

“We have had a chat to the AFL about it. We have presented our view and the case has been made public, and we think if we play an interstate side, we have earned the right to play against any interstate side,” he told the Herald Sun.

It seems like a pipe dream that we would one day host a big Victorian club in a final at Geelong - but given all of GWS, West Coast, Brisbane and Adelaide are vying for top four spots this season, right now there is a reasonable chance we will finish top 2 and be drawn an interstate club in week one.

Should Geelong have the right to host a qualifying final against an interstate club at GHMBA Stadium?

Mods please merge with mine. No need to have two threads on the same topic.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
If Gold Coast ever actually finished high enough and played the Lions, then there would be outrage if it was played at the Gabba instead of Metricon. As another poster alluded to, the Dogs played GWS at their home ground, despite the allocation being far higher at the SCG. GWS finish above Sydney, then they should get their home final at GIANTS stadium. To call it an unfair advantage to play at your home ground when you've earned that right, is ludicrous.

The capacity of our stadium is only 6,000 less than the Gabba, 14,000 less than Marvel, 12,000 more than Giants, and 11,000 more than Metricon. It's a decent size for a stand alone ground, given the comparisons. Adelaide Oval was only 32,000 in 2011 before its final stage (Eastern Stand) in 2014 that brought it up to 53,000. Once our final development (Stage 5) is finished, our capacity will be 40,000.

What is the point of us finishing on top of the ladder? If we finish 4th and Richmond/Collingwood finish 1st, or if we finish 1st and Richmond/Collingwood finish 4th, the result is the same. What incentive is there not to just tank the last 3 games if we're still 2 clear, given that it doesn't matter where we finish when up against Victorian sides. The only time it does matter, is when non-Victorian sides are playing a final against us. That's not a fair system.

With all this said, I honestly don't care. We've proven that we can win at the 'G this year, as well as at home, and interstate. What I think would be fairer though, is if equal allocation is given to Richmond/Collingwood members and Geelong members, given that it is 'technically' the home ground of the Cats for that week, if they finish higher.

It's all a farce anyway. The AFL doesn't care about equalization, they care about money. It's a business and Geelong is just one of 18 clubs. We'll probably have to play at the MCG, even if we do finish on top of the ladder. To say we have an unfair advantage if we don't adhere to this though, is disingenuous and quite frankly, ridiculous.

This thread just reeks of Richmond posters again letting their disdain for Geelong get in the way of common sense and fairness.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Realistically, I think they will host an interstate side in week 1 in Geelong, but I don't think the AFL would send Richmond or Collingwood down there, they aren't going to give up 85k+ ticket sales. That's just the way it will be, they host a lot of big games at the MCG. I would suggest they need to look at the home and away model and hosting games at the MCG against those same sides. Change that first, and then it's a more credible argument. Of course it would then need to be balanced by the 11 games KP should mean more interstate travel.

If Gold Coast ever actually won a final, then there would be outrage if it was played at the Gabba instead of Metricon. As another poster alluded to, the Dogs played GWS at their home ground, despite the allocation being far higher at the SCG. GWS finish above Sydney, then they should get their home final at GIANTS stadium. To call it an unfair advantage to play at your home ground when you've earned that right, is ludicrous.

What is the point of us finishing on top of the ladder? If we finish 4th and Richmond/Collingwood finish 1st, or if we finish 1st and Richmond/Collingwood finish 4th, the result is the same. What incentive is there not to just tank the last 3 games if we're still 2 clear, given that it doesn't matter where we finish when up against Victorian sides. The only time it does matter, is when non-Victorian sides are playing a final against us. That's not a fair system.

With all this said, I honestly don't care. We've proven that we can win at the 'G this year, as well as at home, and interstate. What I think would be fairer though, is if equal allocation is given to Richmond/Collingwood members and Geelong members, given that it is 'technically' the home ground of the Cats for that week, if they finish higher.

It's all a farce anyway. The AFL doesn't care about equalization, they care about money. It's a business and Geelong is just one of 18 clubs. We'll probably have to play at the MCG, even if we do finish on top of the ladder. To say we have an unfair advantage if we don't adhere to this though, is disingenuous and quite frankly, ridiculous.

This thread just reeks of Richmond posters again letting their disdain for Geelong get in the way of common sense and fairness.

You let yourself down with the last part. Senseless and needless.

Antzzz

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I understand what you,re saying...in a perfect world.....The Cats earn a final at Kardinia park...

.but the whole AFL is built on Money...we all know that.....the draw isn't fair...we could go on.....its Business as you stated...…

and common sense and fairness isn't in the AFL,s handbook

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
You let yourself down with the last part. Senseless and needless.

So is half the commentary by Richmond posters in this thread, to be fair. You created yet another thread on a question that's been answered more times than anyone can count. It's not productive and borders on trolling behaviour. All this will do is start another sh*t fight, and you know it.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I might have to get you thread banned if you are just gonna troll.

Got as problem with 2 sides of an argument, say so, dont threaten !!

Geelong with 40k at Geelong, at Docklands, at the G ..... bit of a challenge as obvious as dogs with or without your specs.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Unfair? They play 9 home games this year compared to the Tigers 13 at the MCG including the final seven matches in a row!. The Pies play four of their last five out of 14 at the MCG. There is nothing unfair about Geelong at all! If either team finishes 4th Geelong play them on their home ground! Geelong will only get a home final if they play GWS IMO. They won't schedule the Eagles or the Lions down at the Cattery, the Giants would be a certainty. GWS won down there this year! They might like the idea. IMO i would rather not have the pressure of a Cattery home final. If you finish on top you should get as many advantages as you can get. .

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
You play your final depending on where you finish in the 8.

If Eagles finish 1 or 2, they are guaranteed two home finals. If the eagles finish 5th or 6th, they get 1 home final guaranteed, their second game will be as the away team on a different ground.
My point was that those teams play every team at the same ground when they're the home team. They don't change the ground depending on who they're playing

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am just thinking about the thread title. So will Geelong get an unfair advantage if they play a home final at KP? Well, no. If you finish high enough to warrant one you get one at your home ground. It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Plus, why is it always the same supporter base going on about Geelong? I very rarely see threads created by Geelong fans discussing Richmond. I also think people need to firm up a bit and realise that finals can be won by anyone anywhere.

Yeah but the same topic is continually regurgitated. It’s not original and all that happens is you get the same answers.

But it’s gonna be a massive issue coming up as previously the Cats were playing their finals at the G, but Scott and co have already made comment on this issue this season and they are gonna finish top of the ladder no doubt. They are gonna push like hell to get it there. And there’s every chance it could be a team like Collingwood that finishes 4th. So should the AFL change it’s policy in the off season or do you think it’s fair they could make another decision on the fly in August?

Back