Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Please would Geelong and Gerard “Sanctimonious Virtue Signaller “Whatley pee off. You can’t have it both ways . Play all your home games at Krapdinia Park and then you have a case . Move your so called “blockbuster @ against the Hawks down to that pissant ground and take the financial hit on the gate and then you will win the argument . Like your coach the lot of you are panicking about the Likley prospect of facing Richmond or Lions in first final . Overated knobs . Shades of 2017 again .
A full house at KP makes the same gate as 90k at the MCG. Won't get near 90k in the H+A against any team so it's a moot point, the cats take a financial hit on the melbourne games. If you refer to the C. Scott presser from thursday, you would read that the AFL forces Geelong to play games in Melbourne to fulfil contracts, and it's not the clubs choice. The club requests 11 home games, and has in the past been given as few as 7.

The only knob here is you for not having the facts and writing baseless drivel.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice melt .
So 95k , which would be the crowd knob , makes the sAme gate as 36k ( see research knob ) At Krapdinia Park ? Now knob , a difference of 59k does not make your argument compelling. But let’s stick with Whatley . Btw a bit cocky , you might not get a “home” final with your present form . I see the pressure is getting you ...knob,

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I would love for the Cats to have a Home Final.
Less money for them, and hopefully the Tigers or Pies face them, which means a lot of their members will miss out.

Your just nasty and small minded . Is that you Chris Scott ?

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
A full house at KP makes the same gate as 90k at the MCG. Won't get near 90k in the H+A against any team so it's a moot point, the cats take a financial hit on the melbourne games. If you refer to the C. Scott presser from thursday, you would read that the AFL forces Geelong to play games in Melbourne to fulfil contracts, and it's not the clubs choice. The club requests 11 home games, and has in the past been given as few as 7.

The only knob here is you for not having the facts and writing baseless drivel.

Oh my I think you know the tigers are coming for you . Wow straight sets for Geelong .

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
It makes the entire ladder qualifying system corrupt. If Geelong finish 1st and Richmond 4th we play at the MCG ground. Richmond get the 1st place entitlements and Geelong play away from Kardinia

The loophole of considering the MCG also Geelongs home ground needs to end for the sake of league integrity. But $$$

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Desperately want to finish 4th with Geelong top. Regardless of the match result, it would be worth it for the theatre and Chris Scott. Plus the greater numbers of Tigers at the ground drowning out Geelong and booing them like 2017.
They way you are playing right now you will probably finish second and get a non vic team week 1 (Brisbane, WCE, GWS) which would be even better.

Spacedog

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
`
It makes the entire ladder qualifying system corrupt. If Geelong finish 1st and Richmond 4th we play at the MCG ground. Richmond get the 1st place entitlements and Geelong play away from Kardinia

The loophole of considering the MCG also Geelongs home ground needs to end for the sake of league integrity. But $$$
Wouldn't you still play at the MCG if Brisbane, GWS or WCE finish 4th?

AWOL

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2008
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Not sure Sttew - you'd have to ask the AFL. On the other hand the giants play all their home games there as far as I'm aware. Maybe the AFL thought nobody would show up if it wasn't there.

Either way if you have a read back through my other posts on this thread, you'd see my stance on the whole thing and the cats position on gmhba vs mcg "home" games. I'd like to think it's an unbiased opinion. I think you shouldn't have any of the season games at the g as a 'home game' if you want finals at geelong. The cats get extra games at the ground that non tenants get which might be an advantage to winning a flag, who knows. It's definitely an advantage if you've played the 5 season games + 2 finals as the lead up to the grand final against say WCE who mightve only played two games there during home and away. They mightve been unlucky and have to play freo in their home ground advantage game as well.

Again, I think the cats have a unique scenario where they have one of the 'true' home ground advantages (don't share your home with anyone else and train on it), but get extra games at the G. I think because you have mcg as a home ground during the year, why should it be different in finals? Playing in geelong is an advantage when trying to make a GF which suddenly flips when you make the GF (in my opinion). Anything could happen on GF day, but if you've had extra games (wins or losses) to analyze how you won games or lost them on that ground, surely thats an extra advantage as well.

Tl;Dr play all your games at gmhba if you want finals there so you have the same MCG exposure as a non mcg tenant.

Think you’ll find that GWS play home games in Canberra too. Will the AFL ever throw them on to the SCG for a home final against the swans??

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh my I think you know the tigers are coming for you . Wow straight sets for Geelong .
Hahahaha. We're so in your head.

1. Post this after Richmond win
2. Post this instead of celebrating a Richmond win
3. More concerned about Geelong's finals chances than your own

The highest you'll finish is 3rd. You're gonna want to tank to 4th, because if you play Brisbane/WCE away, the only team that will be straight setting is the tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black Child

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Will be worth watching the Triggies win 7 MCG games leading into finals only to follow last years choke V Collingwood with a choke this year V Geelong.

Geelong can't win after a bye.
Do you forget there's a bye before finals?

Jul 16, 2009
Under a Big Sky
AFL Club
St Kilda
geelong whinging about no home finals. our 'home' holds far more and we still play finals at a ground we get scheduled one game a year at. even as mp we played away. geelong get given far more mcg games than we, or the doggies and roos get, regardless of how high up the ladder we finish. on top of that one of the best home ground avantages in the league - finance wise and on field given its peculiar dimensions and one sided crowd. all paid for by our taxes. cry me a river.

Black Child

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Welp better tell the Hawfies that we didn't win in 2016 then.

Or does that not count because it goes against the narrative?

Six losses in a row after a bye since then.

2016 prelim vs Sydney - LOSS
2017 vs West Coast - LOSS
2017 qf vs Richmond - LOSS
2018 vs Bulldogs - LOSS
2018 ef vs Melbourne - LOSS
2019 vs Power - LOSS

I'll bet you Cats won't win the flag.
Up for a wager?
If you're so sure Cats have the flag in the bag you'll take the bet.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hahahaha. We're so in your head.

1. Post this after Richmond win
2. Post this instead of celebrating a Richmond win
3. More concerned about Geelong's finals chances than your own

The highest you'll finish is 3rd. You're gonna want to tank to 4th, because if you play Brisbane/WCE away, the only team that will be straight setting is the tigers.

Feeling the pressure? I think so .

Clarky6

Draftee
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd make an account to put this silly topic to bed. I'm so sick of hearing about it and frankly as a cats supporter it's embarrassing.

I honestly just wish that Chris Scott would not bring it up and simply concentrate on winning finals regardless of the location because in recent times this is something he's failed miserably at. (winning after the bloody bye would also be good but that's another topic for another day).

Football isn't fair. From the draw, the number of fans, the geographic location to the bounce of the oblong ball at the start of every match. But I sincerely believe that things have a way of working themselves out.

I know my fellow fans might disagree but we are the only team in Victoria who have a genuine home ground. Unlike the other Victorian clubs we train on our ground and we can get 95% cats fans at the cattery for matches. I think a lot of people forget when they talk about Richmond/Collingwood etc who's "home ground" is the MCG that it's not a real home ground. You have to remember that those teams don't train there, can't lockout neutrals or opposition fans and half the time when they play they are actually playing a team who is also an MCG tenant.

So what does this mean? In my opinion it means that we get quite an advantage during the home and away season compared to the other Vic clubs. It means that in any given year, relative to the other Victorian clubs we probably get a 1 or 2 win advantage during the year. Perhaps 17 wins instead of 15. Perhaps 13 wins and finals instead of 12. IMO this has a big impact and as we know, with free agency it's now really important to stay relevant. Everyone is talking about the fairness and unfairness of 2017 because that seems to be the biggest example where we were ripped off. So lets have a look at 2017.

Richmond played 5 genuine home games against non-MCG tenants. 5 games for the year where they had an actual advantage. (11 MCG overall during the season)
We played 7 games at the cattery. So 7 games where we had an actual advantage. (played 5 games at the MCG during the season)

Richmond finished the home and away season with 60 premiership points and a percentage of 118.3.
We finished the home and away season with 62 premiership points and a percentage of 117.4.

As you can see. Despite us having 2 distinct home games more than Richmond we only finished half a game (or 1 draw) ahead of them. So when you take all of that into consideration who really should have finished 2nd and 3rd? It was awful luck for us that we had to play a home final at the MCG against an MCG tenant but by rights they probably should have been 2nd and us 3rd given we had the advantage during the year.

It's a long winded example but what I'm trying to say is: We get the advantage during the home and away. And forfeit that in the finals. Is that really such a big deal? I still wouldn't trade having an actual home ground for a crap shared ground for reasons outlined above. I think it's important for fans to have a home and to get an extra couple of wins each year. It's better to play finals more regularly than not from a economic point of view.

So then you have to look at us against other interstate teams. West Coast for example. They get to play at their real home ground if they play finals. Well once again it goes back to the same thing. What are the positives and negatives for the eagles? Well they have to travel by air every second week essentially and have to fly interstate to play in a home grand final. People may scoff at that but there's a fair amount of research that shows that sleeping outside of your home is quite a bit less effective for example. So once again, the eagles get a decent advantage of their home ground during the season and pay for it come grand final. In footy it all works out.

Fast forward a year and Richmond finished as minor premiers and played two consecutive games at the MCG against MCG tenants. Meaning they had no advantage for finishing first.

I love my club but this is literally like trying to have your cake and eat it. It's distracting and silly. If anyone can complain, it should probably be the Marvel Stadium tenants. They seem to get the worst deal when you look at it. They don't get much of an advantage during the year but on the most part play finals at the MCG. But once again, things have a way of working themselves out.

Sorry if that's a really long first post.

Go cats!

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls

Sure does - imagine if they made a higher placed team play a Grand Final interstate at someone else's homeground !! Now that would be a travesty....

Clarky6

Draftee
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Sure does - imagine if they made a higher placed team play a Grand Final interstate at someone else's homeground !! Now that would be a travesty....

Yeah I hear ya. That would absolutely suck and so would the ongoing travel throughout the year. However, there's a reason why going to WA to play the eagles is "the hardest trip in footy" and it's not just because you're a great club. You guys get a fair leg up during the year and then even get those sexy home finals!! With my everything works out theory from above it's only fair you cop it on the grand final. Otherwise we may as well just jot you guys down for the flag every year.

The smartest thing you guys ever did was making your ground at least the same dimensions as the MCG. You effectively minimised your advantage during the year but made the chances on grand final day much greater. And it's already paid dividends. We had the chance to do this when we redeveloped the ground but didn't go down the same path. Perhaps a poor decision in hind sight.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong

2018 vs Bulldogs - LOSS
2019 vs Power - LOSS

Up for a wager?
You said, and I quote, "Geelong can't win after a bye."
Might have lost since then, but we have won after a bye once against the reigning Premier in fact.

If only you had said "Geelong struggle after the bye" and then you would have been correct.

But as is the case with you Triggies, you are all a bit naff.

Not taking on your trash bet, but considering all you Tiggies fans said your mob had the flag in the bag last year before Collingwood ended your 1 year dynasty I am not inclined to take anything you fanboys say seriously.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

2018 vs Bulldogs - LOSS
2019 vs Power - LOSS

Up for a wager?

Nothing says "courage" like taking the field against a $4.20 second favourite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back