Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd make an account to put this silly topic to bed. I'm so sick of hearing about it and frankly as a cats supporter it's embarrassing.

I honestly just wish that Chris Scott would not bring it up and simply concentrate on winning finals regardless of the location because in recent times this is something he's failed miserably at. (winning after the bloody bye would also be good but that's another topic for another day).

Football isn't fair. From the draw, the number of fans, the geographic location to the bounce of the oblong ball at the start of every match. But I sincerely believe that things have a way of working themselves out.

I know my fellow fans might disagree but we are the only team in Victoria who have a genuine home ground. Unlike the other Victorian clubs we train on our ground and we can get 95% cats fans at the cattery for matches. I think a lot of people forget when they talk about Richmond/Collingwood etc who's "home ground" is the MCG that it's not a real home ground. You have to remember that those teams don't train there, can't lockout neutrals or opposition fans and half the time when they play they are actually playing a team who is also an MCG tenant.

So what does this mean? In my opinion it means that we get quite an advantage during the home and away season compared to the other Vic clubs. It means that in any given year, relative to the other Victorian clubs we probably get a 1 or 2 win advantage during the year. Perhaps 17 wins instead of 15. Perhaps 13 wins and finals instead of 12. IMO this has a big impact and as we know, with free agency it's now really important to stay relevant. Everyone is talking about the fairness and unfairness of 2017 because that seems to be the biggest example where we were ripped off. So lets have a look at 2017.

Richmond played 5 genuine home games against non-MCG tenants. 5 games for the year where they had an actual advantage. (11 MCG overall during the season)
We played 7 games at the cattery. So 7 games where we had an actual advantage. (played 5 games at the MCG during the season)

Richmond finished the home and away season with 60 premiership points and a percentage of 118.3.
We finished the home and away season with 62 premiership points and a percentage of 117.4.

As you can see. Despite us having 2 distinct home games more than Richmond we only finished half a game (or 1 draw) ahead of them. So when you take all of that into consideration who really should have finished 2nd and 3rd? It was awful luck for us that we had to play a home final at the MCG against an MCG tenant but by rights they probably should have been 2nd and us 3rd given we had the advantage during the year.

It's a long winded example but what I'm trying to say is: We get the advantage during the home and away. And forfeit that in the finals. Is that really such a big deal? I still wouldn't trade having an actual home ground for a crap shared ground for reasons outlined above. I think it's important for fans to have a home and to get an extra couple of wins each year. It's better to play finals more regularly than not from a economic point of view.

So then you have to look at us against other interstate teams. West Coast for example. They get to play at their real home ground if they play finals. Well once again it goes back to the same thing. What are the positives and negatives for the eagles? Well they have to travel by air every second week essentially and have to fly interstate to play in a home grand final. People may scoff at that but there's a fair amount of research that shows that sleeping outside of your home is quite a bit less effective for example. So once again, the eagles get a decent advantage of their home ground during the season and pay for it come grand final. In footy it all works out.

Fast forward a year and Richmond finished as minor premiers and played two consecutive games at the MCG against MCG tenants. Meaning they had no advantage for finishing first.

I love my club but this is literally like trying to have your cake and eat it. It's distracting and silly. If anyone can complain, it should probably be the Marvel Stadium tenants. They seem to get the worst deal when you look at it. They don't get much of an advantage during the year but on the most part play finals at the MCG. But once again, things have a way of working themselves out.

Sorry if that's a really long first post.

Go cats!
Wow what a post! Finally we have a Geelong supporter who actually doesn't shi#$'lk & downplay their huge H&A advantage. Respect!
Everything you said is exaclty what I have been saying but I continue to get abused. Certain teams have different advantages & disadvantages throughout the season so I agree it all evens out in the end.

-

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Sure does - imagine if they made a higher placed team play a Grand Final interstate at someone else's homeground !! Now that would be a travesty....

I completely agree but it's hard to rob Melbourne the spectacle of their own sport. It's tradition!!

If the Grand Final must be played at the MCG. The Melbourne based opposition should be forced to travel to Perth and back for no reason other than fairness.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
If the Grand Final must be played at the MCG. The Melbourne based opposition should be forced to travel to Perth and back for no reason other than fairness.
Lel

In 2018 Eagles hadn’t left Perth for a month prior to the GF, Adelaide the same in 2017.

In 2015, the Eagles only travelled from Perth once in the two months prior to the GF!!

In 2016, the Dogs travelled to Perth and back, then to Sydney and back, all during finals.

The only ‘fair’ thing that should happen is that the Melbourne based team should also spend GF eve in a plush hotel in the city away from distractions just like a travelling team.

Black Child

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
This quote from twitter is spot on.
The training ground advantage Geelong benefits from is way understated.

Arguing @Richmond_FC enjoys a home ground advantage over @GeelongCats is ridiculous. GFC players train & play #GMHBA about 150 times a year. GFC play 5 @MCG. Tigers play 13 times MCG (as others do) & train at Punt Road. MCG is not home ground advantage like GFC at Geelong.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If they finish minor premiers they deserve it...

But I can see why the AFL freaks out cause of the capacity compared with the G.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hahahaha. We're so in your head.

1. Post this after Richmond win
2. Post this instead of celebrating a Richmond win
3. More concerned about Geelong's finals chances than your own

The highest you'll finish is 3rd. You're gonna want to tank to 4th, because if you play Brisbane/WCE away, the only team that will be straight setting is the tigers.

Poooooooppppppppppp! That’s The Geelong bubble bursting !!
How’s the pressure Mr Know it All ? I pray we get you flOgs in Week 1 on your home ground THE MCG .
Ohhhh the pressure is so on you .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Lel

In 2018 Eagles hadn’t left Perth for a month prior to the GF, Adelaide the same in 2017.

In 2015, the Eagles only travelled from Perth once in the two months prior to the GF!!

In 2016, the Dogs travelled to Perth and back, then to Sydney and back, all during finals.

The only ‘fair’ thing that should happen is that the Melbourne based team should also spend GF eve in a plush hotel in the city away from distractions just like a travelling team.
Team that finished top 2 had to travel less during the finals, what a revelation.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Team that finished top 2 had to travel less during the finals, what a revelation.
Team that finished 2nd had two finals with a distinct home ground advantage and played a PF against the 5th ranked H&A team, the team who finished minor premier didn’t have any ground advantage and played a PF against the 3rd ranked H&A team.

The minor premier disadvantaged compared to 2nd place in finals...bit of a nonsense isn’t it.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Team that finished 2nd had two finals with a distinct home ground advantage and played a PF against the 5th ranked H&A team, the team who finished minor premier didn’t have any ground advantage and played a PF against the 3rd ranked H&A team.

The minor premier disadvantaged compared to 2nd place in finals...bit of a nonsense isn’t it.
Should WC have played Collingwood again in the prelim? :think:

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Should WC have played Collingwood again in the prelim? :think:
Why not?

That is what the double chance creates.

When they introduced qualifying and preliminary finals, in the final 5, would often have a double up.

The qualifying final was 2 v 3 in week one, and the Preliminary final was the two teams remaining to make the GF which could be 2 v 3 again.

Pretty simple concept that the minor premier should get the easiest path to the GF, at present this isn’t the case.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Why not?

That is what the double chance creates.

When they introduced qualifying and preliminary finals, in the final 5, would often have a double up.

The qualifying final was 2 v 3 in week one, and the Preliminary final was the two teams remaining to make the GF which could be 2 v 3 again.

Pretty simple concept that the minor premier should get the easiest path to the GF, at present this isn’t the case.
Nah that's crap because it creates a free hit for the 2 v 3 game in the QF, knowing that they will likely face off again 2 weeks later

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast

And if your side was good enough in 2018, Richmond would have faced the second ranked team in the prelim, who is an interstate side. Moaning on how the draw pans out is ridiculous.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
And if your side was good enough in 2018, Richmond would have faced the second ranked team in the prelim, who is an interstate side. Moaning on how the draw pans out is ridiculous.
LoL, agree.

WC and Geelong fans should stop complaining about their perceived disadvantages.

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
Not sure Sttew - you'd have to ask the AFL. On the other hand the giants play all their home games there as far as I'm aware. Maybe the AFL thought nobody would show up if it wasn't there.

Either way if you have a read back through my other posts on this thread, you'd see my stance on the whole thing and the cats position on gmhba vs mcg "home" games. I'd like to think it's an unbiased opinion. I think you shouldn't have any of the season games at the g as a 'home game' if you want finals at geelong. The cats get extra games at the ground that non tenants get which might be an advantage to winning a flag, who knows. It's definitely an advantage if you've played the 5 season games + 2 finals as the lead up to the grand final against say WCE who mightve only played two games there during home and away. They mightve been unlucky and have to play freo in their home ground advantage game as well.

Again, I think the cats have a unique scenario where they have one of the 'true' home ground advantages (don't share your home with anyone else and train on it), but get extra games at the G. I think because you have mcg as a home ground during the year, why should it be different in finals? Playing in geelong is an advantage when trying to make a GF which suddenly flips when you make the GF (in my opinion). Anything could happen on GF day, but if you've had extra games (wins or losses) to analyze how you won games or lost them on that ground, surely thats an extra advantage as well.

Tl;Dr play all your games at gmhba if you want finals there so you have the same MCG exposure as a non mcg tenant.

You do realise we're made to play home games at the MCG and have been asking for years to play more games at KP?

Geelong don't get to pick and choose which ground we play on we have to beg for as many home games as possible each season.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
LoL, agree.

WC and Geelong fans should stop complaining about their perceived disadvantages.
Says the fan of a team that gets to play home games, away games, finals, ping pong and everything else on the MCG. Collingwood fans should start owning up to their obvious advantages, which, unfortunately, they are not good enough to take advantage of.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Poooooooppppppppppp! That’s The Geelong bubble bursting !!
How’s the pressure Mr Know it All ? I pray we get you flOgs in Week 1 on your home ground THE MCG .
Ohhhh the pressure is so on you .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nice dig. Shame it was nowhere to be seen when it was relevant, a bit like Richmond back in Rd12. Buckle up champ, the season still has lots to play out.
As for the relevance to this thread, you should at least try harder to keep it on topic.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for the advice ,champ, you strayed first but why let the truth get In the way of your feeble story ? Are you proud of how your coach represents your club ? Hows third looking? Much pressure ? Straight sets.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
You do realise we're made to play home games at the MCG and have been asking for years to play more games at KP?

Geelong don't get to pick and choose which ground we play on we have to beg for as many home games as possible each season.
sure , and they'd donate the gate from their 'blockbuster' annual match against hawthorn ? Absolute hypocrites , and that graceless sore looser , loose cannon of a coach needs to learn how to cope with pressure . Joke club.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
According to the HUN, Geelong are locked in for a 'home final at the G, if they finish top two.

Couldn't see any other outcome unfortunately. Then again Interstate Clubs have to also 'host Grand Finals at The G.

All this talk about equalization from AFL House is nonsense whilst we still have blatant unfair home ground advantages and disadvantages in the finals.

Geelong hosting Richmond in week 1 of the finals at the G would be a massive PR disaster for the AFL. Hopefully it end up The Tigers playing away in Brisbane or West Coast in week 1.

According to the HUN, Geelong are locked in for a 'home final at the G, if they finish top two.

Couldn't see any other outcome unfortunately. Then again Interstate Clubs have to also 'host Grand Finals at The G.

All this talk about equalization from AFL House is nonsense whilst we still have blatant unfair home ground advantages and disadvantages in the finals.

Geelong hosting Richmond in week 1 of the finals at the G would be a massive PR disaster for the AFL. Hopefully it end up The Tigers playing away in Brisbane or West Coast in week 1.
The AFL won't care, 90 thousand with all the money from tickets going to the AFL.

The way the FIXture is shaping up in these next few weeks Geelong may end up third or fourth........ meaning they won't be getting a home QF at all anyway!

Back