Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

"On Wednesday, more than 50 per cent of Cats allocated tickets were put on sale to the public after members failed to snap them up.
At the conclusion of the member pre-sale at 1pm Collingwood members had purchased approximately 16,500 tickets and Geelong members 9,000 tickets."

Well ho hum. I'm pretty sure both fan bases could fit in our home ground.
Good to see us protesting by not buying tickets.

At 9000, that means more Geelong members get to see the game live than they would have it it'd been at KP.

No I’m fed up with it all.
Ask for 11 home games. They give 9 and force two Melbourne games.
Want a home final like most other clubs. Refused.

Nothing he’s said is dishonest, just the inconvenient truth.

Won’t get a cent off me this week, and seemingly there’s a few thousand members who they won’t get any money off either

Fair enough in terms of being fed up.

I think having the 11 games at home is fair.

What has to be factored in then in my opinion is that - whether 9 or 11 home games - Geelong gets a very clear home ground advantage vs Vic sides (several MCG tenant teams have had few / no games there in recent times).

The other Vic sides have a watered down home ground advantage against any other Vic opponents (sharing the ground at the MCG / Marvel against co-tenants, having some advantage over a Geelong side that plays 3-5+ games at the MCG each year, having some advantage as MCG tenants vs Marvel tenants and vice versa).

Think one way to counteract Geelong being advantaged in the H&A (vs MCG teams at least) would be to have them play MCG tenants at Marvel and vice versa in the H&A.

There are some differences in terms of H&A interstate games between the Vic sides (I think Geelong had two more than my mob over the last six years, e.g.). That might be explained by ladder positions and who they got double-ups against (haven’t checked, just a theory).

Scott has been dishonest in trying to make his point, he misstated verifiable data, not budging there, sorry. (As did Buckley after him coming back the other way, for what it’s worth.)

Not sure what the perfect solution would be.

Fair enough in terms of being fed up.

I think having the 11 games at home is fair.

What has to be factored in then in my opinion is that - whether 9 or 11 home games - Geelong gets a very clear home ground advantage vs Vic sides (several MCG tenant teams have had few / no games there in recent times).

The other Vic sides have a watered down home ground advantage against any other Vic opponents (sharing the ground at the MCG / Marvel against co-tenants, having some advantage over a Geelong side that plays 3-5+ games at the MCG each year, having some advantage as MCG tenants vs Marvel tenants and vice versa).

Think one way to counteract Geelong being advantaged in the H&A (vs MCG teams at least) would be to have them play MCG tenants at Marvel and vice versa in the H&A.

There are some differences in terms of H&A interstate games between the Vic sides (I think Geelong had two more than my mob over the last six years, e.g.). That might be explained by ladder positions and who they got double-ups against (haven’t checked, just a theory).

Scott has been dishonest in trying to make his point, he misstated verifiable data, not budging there, sorry. (As did Buckley after him coming back the other way, for what it’s worth.)

Not sure what the perfect solution would be.
Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the comp. only Victorian team that doesn’t share their ground with any other team, play home games at the 2 other Victorian grounds and don’t have to travel interstate as much as interstate teams do. You’d think they finished 3 games clear on top the way Scott is banging on about it, they finished on top by percentage over 2nd and 3rd. Such a whiney whinger.

The biggest advantage Geelong enjoy over other Vic sides is that they train on KP. That is a huge factor on match day, particularly on a ground with unusual dimensions like KP. No other Vic side trains on their match day ground.

When you factor in the other points raised in this thread, Geelong enjoy advantages superior to every other team in the comp. Chris Scott is like a sneaky politician putting this on the agenda to distract from his deficiencies over what is now quite a long coaching career (9 seasons?).

No I’m fed up with it all.
Ask for 11 home games. They give 9 and force two Melbourne games.
Want a home final like most other clubs. Refused.

Nothing he’s said is dishonest, just the inconvenient truth.

Won’t get a cent off me this week, and seemingly there’s a few thousand members who they won’t get any money off either
Forced to have 2 home MCG matches each season giving more time on the Ground they end up playing many finals on. Terrible experience for the players. They will be at risk of block buster fatigue also

Forced to go to the MCG against Ess when it’s an away game rather than be scheduled to Essendons home ground.

Forced to play 7 games at the G in 2018 and 5 in 2019 excluding finals when other Vic clubs who are non tenants on the G often hardly see the place in the H&A season.

Have a great ground upgrade largely paid for by the state i.e. non Geelong supporters, giving the club the most cosy stadium deal and the only real home ground advantage of any Victorian side

Yep the Cats are doing it hard.

The whole supporter base should follow your lead and boycott the G next Friday. I am sure Scott and the players would value that solidarity.

Forced to have 2 home MCG matches each season giving more time on the Ground they end up playing many finals on. Terrible experience for the players. They will be at risk of block buster fatigue also

Forced to go to the MCG against Ess when it’s an away game rather than be scheduled to Essendons home ground.

Forced to play 7 games at the G in 2018 and 5 in 2019 excluding finals when other Vic clubs who are non tenants on the G often hardly see the place in the H&A season.

Have a great ground upgrade largely paid for by the state i.e. non Geelong supporters, giving the club the most cosy stadium deal and the only real home ground advantage of any Victorian side

Yep the Cats are doing it hard.

The whole supporter base should follow your lead and boycott the G next Friday. I am sure Scott and the players would value that solidarity.
Not often pies and tiger fans agree on things, perfectly said.

The biggest advantage Geelong enjoy over other Vic sides is that they train on KP. That is a huge factor on match day, particularly on a ground with unusual dimensions like KP. No other Vic side trains on their match day ground.

When you factor in the other points raised in this thread, Geelong enjoy advantages superior to every other team in the comp. Chris Scott is like a sneaky politician putting this on the agenda to distract from his deficiencies over what is now quite a long coaching career (9 seasons?).
His coaching record is superior to Hardwick's

Not sure how having a nearly 70% win/loss record can be seen as a deficiency, but here we are.

Not sure how having a nearly 70% win/loss record can be seen as a deficiency, but here we are.

LOL at Geelong supporters who have clearly failed to comprehend about 90% of the posts in this thread. I'm sure that nearly 70% record has absolutely no correlation with the advantages that Geelong enjoy over the ENTIRE LEAGUE, but keep on fighting all that persecution you're suffering, Catters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Hardwick has a better winning % in finals than Scott.
Yes. 50% v 40%, but overall coaching, 56% v 70% & one premiership each. The point isn't who is better. The point is Mile High Tiger referred to Scott's "deficiencies over what is now quite a long coaching career"

Yes. 50% v 40%, but overall coaching, 56% v 70% & one premiership each. The point isn't who is better. The point is Mile High Tiger referred to Scott's "deficiencies over what is now quite a long coaching career"

Most of us spuds on BF could have coached that inherited 2011 team to a flag. Building a premiership from a club that had been a three decade rabble is a bit more challenging.

Scott inherited a team that had won 2 premierships in 4 years, Hardwick had to build a team, I know who I’d prefer.

Scott inherited a team that had won 2 premierships in 4 years, Hardwick had to build a team, I know who I’d prefer.
As I said repeatedly I am NOT arguing who is the better coach....

Most of us spuds on BF could have coached that inherited 2011 team to a flag. Building a premiership from a club that had been a three decade rabble is a bit more challenging.
Yeah right, like premierships grow on trees.

What I'd say is that keeping a team up there in contention, year after year, when champions retire, etc, etc, is statistically more difficult

"His coaching record is superior to Hardwick's"

You are making me start to miss Harolad...
Yeah, and Hardwick is a great coach...Scott's overall coaching record is still better

Last edited:

Scott inherited a team which had lost its best player weeks before he walked into the club and had been embarrassed by Collingwood in the Prelim the year before, and beat the same Collingwood side 3 times the following year, the only team to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back