Play Nice Geelong home final at GHMBA Stadium, is this an unfair advantage?

Given cats fans are supposedly boycotting this game, are they gunna protest the club for spitting in the face of its own members by again having the BnF at Crown (or is Crown relocating to Belmont?)

Feb 21, 2007
Behind the Bar
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Brom,
Given cats fans are supposedly boycotting this game, are they gunna protest the club for spitting in the face of its own members by again having the BnF at Crown (or is Crown relocating to Belmont?)

If I worked in a pub and decided to have my birthday party at another pub am I no longer employed at the original pub?

If I worked in a pub and decided to have my birthday party at another pub am I no longer employed at the original pub?

How are cats fans supposed to attend the BnF when it's so many hours away?!?!?

Was the Sphinx Hotel booked out that night???

Feb 21, 2007
Behind the Bar
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Brom,
How are cats fans supposed to attend the BnF when it's so many hours away?!?!?

Was the Sphinx Hotel booked out that night???
I don't know I don't get involved in other people's affairs.
Yes probably it is a premiere night spot.

I guess the question to ask is what incentive is there for one team not to aim for as high on ladder as possible, what do Geelong earn for finishing first that they wouldn't have got if they finished 2nd or 5th or 6th. Hell they finished 8th last year and got the same result as this year.

I understand the arguments for both having the final in Geelong and not.

I don't know I don't get involved in other people's affairs.
Yes probably it is a premiere night spot.

I guess the question to ask is what incentive is there for one team not to aim for as high on ladder as possible, what do Geelong earn for finishing first that they wouldn't have got if they finished 2nd or 5th or 6th. Hell they finished 8th last year and got the same result as this year.

I understand the arguments for both having the final in Geelong and not.

You got a double chance finishing 8th?

Forced to have 2 home MCG matches each season giving more time on the Ground they end up playing many finals on. Terrible experience for the players. They will be at risk of block buster fatigue also

Forced to go to the MCG against Ess when it’s an away game rather than be scheduled to Essendons home ground.

Forced to play 7 games at the G in 2018 and 5 in 2019 excluding finals when other Vic clubs who are non tenants on the G often hardly see the place in the H&A season.

Have a great ground upgrade largely paid for by the state i.e. non Geelong supporters, giving the club the most cosy stadium deal and the only real home ground advantage of any Victorian side

Yep the Cats are doing it hard.

The whole supporter base should follow your lead and boycott the G next Friday. I am sure Scott and the players would value that solidarity.
Firstly. Anything less than 11 games in Geelong is being shafted. Any argument to the contrary is bullshit.

Secondly, that pantheon you play 14 games at each year was paid for by whom exactly? That’s right, the taxpayer. So don’t play that card, in fact we actually contributed to ours. Did you pour hard earned in the MCG redevelopment?? Didn’t think so.

Thirdly, you don’t think we’re sick of seeing the same clubs at home each season? Don’t think those clubs think it’s unfair that the silver spoon brigade are exempt. You’re among a privileged bunch deemed too important to come down the highway and it stinks.

TBH, this discussion has been done to death. It was started by, guess who? A Tiger supporter, the premise being Steve Hocking would give Geelong a home final. It didn't happen. Yet by a considerable margin Tigers posters have kept the discussion alive

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC
TBH, this discussion has been done to death. It was started by, guess who? A Tiger supporter, the premise being Steve Hocking would give Geelong a home final. It didn't happen. Yet by a considerable margin Tigers posters have kept the discussion alive

Who wouldn't want to keep a thread as amusing as this one alive?

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC
Firstly. Anything less than 11 games in Geelong is being shafted. Any argument to the contrary is bulls**t.

Secondly, that pantheon you play 14 games at each year was paid for by whom exactly? That’s right, the taxpayer. So don’t play that card, in fact we actually contributed to ours. Did you pour hard earned in the MCG redevelopment?? Didn’t think so.

Thirdly, you don’t think we’re sick of seeing the same clubs at home each season? Don’t think those clubs think it’s unfair that the silver spoon brigade are exempt. You’re among a privileged bunch deemed too important to come down the highway and it stinks.

The taxpayer paid for less than 18% of the MCG redevelopment (and that's for a stadium used by a far greater range of stakeholders than KP). MCC members like myself paid for the vast majority of the facilities that you get to enjoy when you can be bothered making the gruelling 75km journey.

"It is effectively the house that the AFL paid for, but the MCC built and the Victorian Government owns."

Try arguing with actual facts, although thanks for the laughs.

I think the biggest problem is the fact it's Chris Scott and Geelong who are discussing the issue. If it was Luke Beveridge and the Bulldogs arguing they should host home finals at Marvel Stadium if they have earned a home final, would Tiger fans have their noses out of joint as much as they've shown in this thread?

Somehow I doubt it.

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clever tiger supporters ...though Pies stand to reap the benefits!!

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC
I think the biggest problem is the fact it's Chris Scott and Geelong who are discussing the issue. If it was Luke Beveridge and the Bulldogs arguing they should host home finals at Marvel Stadium if they have earned a home final, would Tiger fans have their noses out of joint as much as they've shown in this thread?

Somehow I doubt it.

That post reflects the myopia that seems to be afflicting many down at Sleepy Hollow.

I'd suggest that not many would be too upset about such a proposal from Beveridge; Docklands holds about 53,000 and is a shared home venue, at which other teams also regularly play and get exposure. No team gets the huge advantage of both training and playing there. Not that difficult to comprehend.

Last edited:
Scott inherited a team which had lost its best player weeks before he walked into the club and had been embarrassed by Collingwood in the Prelim the year before, and beat the same Collingwood side 3 times the following year, the only team to do so.
And since then?

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a little bit confused how a thread with this title gets to 72 pages?

The answer was 'no'. The end. Should've been finished after 1 page.

I can only assume the original poster was just trolling?

If they earn a home final then it's their right to play at their home ground.

Of course that's not the league we play in and there's contracts in place to play finals at the G whenever possible. Unfortunately for the Cats they get the raw end of the deal since they're 'just' close enough to play at the G instead.

I really hate the "supporters miss out" argument. Whether it's 36,000 at GMHBA or 80,000 at the MCG (the difference in numbers being made up by corporates anyway). But it's millions at home watching at television anyway so we're talking a drop in the ocean for crowd numbers. I'm sure the majority at home would rather their team play at their ground.

But it all comes down to the $$$$ if we're truly honest. The AFL has had a shift in the past 5-10years from being a sport to a business. Not necessarily a bad thing as it does improve the status of our great game when it's profitably run.

But everyone needs to start calling it what it is rather than hiding behind weak arguments. If the AFL just flat out said 'we do it for the money and ratings' I would think Geelong accept that and move on.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you’ll find your coach has kept the discussion alive.

someday-somehow

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
The Hills
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm tired of reading posts from (of all people) Richmond supporters about Geelong getting the biggest homeground advantage in Victoria.

Let's stick with the facts:

Richmond played 13 games on the MCG during the H & A season in 2019 - 9 of those against teams that are non-MCG tenants. Geelong played 9 games on their home ground at GMHBA.

So that's 9 clear advantage home games to geelong and 9 for Tigers.
Tigers played 4 games at the MCG with other MCG co-tenants - that is 4 neutral games with no advantage for either team.

Geelong played 11 away games at the oppositions home ground and 1 home game the MCG against Essendon and 1 home game on the MCG against Hawthorn. - that is an equivalent of 9 homes games, 12 away games and 1 neutral compared to Richmonds 9 home, 4 neutral and 9 away.

So that blows away this whole Home and Away advantage to Geelong myth.

Next comes finals, only chance that Richmond and Collingwood can possibly not play on their home ground in ANY final will be if they play an interstate club who have won the right to a home game.

Fun fact, in 2017 Richmond were the ONLY team in the top 4 to play all of their finals on their home ground.....end rant!

Feb 21, 2007
Behind the Bar
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Brom,
That post reflects the myopia that seems to be afflicting many down at Sleepy Hollow.

I'd suggest that not many would be too upset about such a proposal from Beveridge; Docklands holds about 53,000 and is a shared home venue, at which other teams also regularly play and get exposure. No team gets the huge advantage of both training and playing there. Not that difficult to comprehend.

Isn't that the point of wanting a home final? You've earned the opportunity, by finishing higher on the ladder, to maximise your chance of winning.

Finals aren't about being fair to both teams.

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond played 13 games on the MCG during the H & A season in 2019 - 9 of those against teams that are non-MCG tenants. Geelong played 9 games on their home ground at GMHBA.

Far be it from me to defend Richmond, but this comparison is a joke.

No matter who Geelong’s opponent is, they get an enormous HGA at KP for an individual game. Their opponent plays there at most once a year, they train at the place, the ground is uniquely sized and shaped, and the crowd is 98% Geelong supporters. Trying to compare that to Richmond vs Carlton or Essendon (who are still MCG tenants by the way) - where both teams play plenty of games at the G and the crowd is very close to 50/50 - is called a pisstake.

I'm tired of reading posts from (of all people) Richmond supporters about Geelong getting the biggest homeground advantage in Victoria.

Let's stick with the facts:

Tigers played 4 games at the MCG with other MCG co-tenants - that is 4 neutral games with no advantage for either team.

Geelong played 11 away games at the oppositions home ground and 1 home game the MCG against Essendon and 1 home game on the MCG against Hawthorn. - that is an equivalent of 9 homes games, 12 away games and 1 neutral compared to Richmonds 9 home, 4 neutral and 9 away.

So that blows away this whole Home and Away advantage to Geelong myth.

Next comes finals, only chance that Richmond and Collingwood can possibly not play on their home ground in ANY final will be if they play an interstate club who have won the right to a home game.

Fun fact, in 2017 Richmond were the ONLY team in the top 4 to play all of their finals on their home ground.....end rant!
But where do Richmond train?

Back