Geelong in trouble

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems not even the government pork barrel that's been building stadiums and propping up sleepy hollow is enough anymore.

Geelong are now 10 Million in debt and have their hand out to the AFL.

Geelong to ask AFL for financial assistance as the club prepares to go $10 million into debt
Nick Smart
Herald Sun
Saturday, 23 May 2020

Geelong will ask the AFL for financial assistance after forecasting a massive post-coronavirus debt from playing in front of empty stadiums. But the Cats still have their eyes on this year’s fixture.
The Cats will be one of a high number of AFL clubs to be seriously impacted by the coronavirus crisis, and particularly from the loss of revenue from crowd-less matches.
Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said his club was bracing for a huge financial hit.

“When I arrived at Geelong in 1999 we had a debt of just over $7 million and that’s equivalent today in my opinion of about $20 million,” Cook said.
“I think by the end of this year you’ll find some clubs, and we’ll be one of those, that could have a debt of up to $10 million.
“Mainly because there’s no crowds and for every home game we play without a crowd, we lose a million dollars we’d normally get.

“You multiply that by 11 and it’s pretty easy to work out it’s going to be a difficult year.”
The highly regarded Cats administrator said his club would be forced to put their hand out to league headquarters.
“We think our cash flow is pretty good for a few more months yet, but by the completion of the footy season we’ll be asking the AFL for some assistance,” Cook said.
“How much we don’t know because we don’t know what kind of revenues we’re going to retain, although the early signs are pretty positive.
“Our members have been hugely generous in leaving their membership dollars with us in the early stages.
“I think it’s going to be interesting.”
Cook predicted it would take up to three years to get the Cats back to where they were pre-coronavirus.
“It’s the most challenging time I’ve had in football and mainly because we couldn’t prepare for this or plan for it,” he said.
Cook also reiterated the Cats’ desire to play all their home games at GMHBA Stadium once the season resumed.
“There’s no crowds so there doesn’t seem to be a reason why you wouldn’t play home games down at GMHBA Stadium and that’s where we come from,” Cook told Fox Footy.
MORE AFL
“There are no revenues apart from signage, which we’ll be able to maintain.
“But by and large this is the prime opportunity to play all of our home games in Geelong.
“It’s important to play all of our games down there and to try to take every game as a winning game.
“If we happen to do that against Collingwood then great, or against Richmond or Essendon as some of those teams haven’t been down here in 20 years.”

Seems not even the government pork barrel that's been building stadiums and propping up sleepy hollow is enough anymore.

I wonder if they'll roll out the 'sponsored tarps' like the Puffers will do (who have also asked for a hand out from the ALF) ;)
full

I'm trying to picture how high the rubble would be if we collapsed the entire town in on itself and bulldozed the remains. If we lit what was left on fire the smoke would be visible from Melbourne, what a stirring sight it would be! Ahh we can but dream...

Last edited:
Love that he managed to get in the now-standard Pussy whinge about playing Richmond at Kitty Litter Park: “If we happen to do that against Collingwood then great, or against Richmond or Essendon as some of those teams haven’t been down here in 20 years.”

Except Richmond has been down there eight times in the past 20 years, including 2017. As opposed to some others:
Carlton - twice in the past 20 years
Collingwood - 0
Essington - 0 (Richmond has played at GHBMDMA Stadium 12 times since the Bummers' last visit in 1993.
Hawthorn - 2 (none since 2006)

But the Scats don't want to give up the Easter Monday game at the G against the Hawks, do they?

zackah you know what to do...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the Scats don't want to give up the Easter Monday game at the G against the Hawks, do they?

We do when it's our home game. As stated ad naseum, the club always request 11 home games at the Cattery. Even having Uncle Steve in AFL House hasn't helped that cause, though. Blame the money hungry Gil.

We do when it's our home game. As stated ad naseum, the club always request 11 home games at the Cattery. Even having Uncle Steve in AFL House hasn't helped that cause, though. Blame the money hungry Gil.

Who wouldn't want 11 games a year at their cheat ground, with turnaround games just down the road at the MCG? :$ I don't think anyone blames the Cats for trying.

Who wouldn't want 11 games a year at their cheat ground, with turnaround games just down the road at the MCG? :$ I don't think anyone blames the Cats for trying.
with no crowds, we are every chance to get a couple of finals on the cheat ground as well.... delicious times ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back