Review Geelong knocks off Swans by 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Clarks set shot kicking, I wonder how much of it is down to lacking a bit of fitness and endurance? That shank yesterday, he looked genuinely exhausted which possibly effected the kick?
Kicking on the run or in play doesn't allow the exhaustion and hurt to effect you as much, you're still pumping adrenaline.
Might not be anything like that but I do wonder myself.

Don’t be seduced by his second half, he was putrid in the first half when the finals type pressure was on.
Cannot win his own ball with only 30% of his touches contested - classic down hill skier
Menegola comes in for him in a heartbeat.
Agree. Never doubted his talent.
I thought that he might have changed his ways after a solid stint in the magoos, but still showing the same schoolyard footy traits that are exposed when the heat comes on.

Don’t be seduced by his second half, he was putrid in the first half when the finals type pressure was on.
Cannot win his own ball with only 30% of his touches contested - classic down hill skier
Menegola comes in for him in a heartbeat.
Absolutely spot on.

Having read through this thread, I am fully convinced most people don't even watch the ruck contests - so many are saying Smith was good, very good or great in the ruck. Really?! Personally I thought he did the absolute bare minimum possible; namely, winning the raw hitout numbers against non-existent opposition.

So (as expected) Smith won the hitouts comfortably - but what did he do with them? Unfortunately (as expected) very little. 7 hitouts to advantage is a poor effort against that opposition, which is reflected in his Champion Data score where he was rated our 5th worst on ground. His around the ground work was obviously terrible - slow and fumbly, but nothing new there.

Anyway, this is probably coming across as sour grapes because my man Stanley wasn't playing, and it was a decent win so I'll leave it there - I just can't stand the double standards applied to some players on this board.

Pretty happy with the overall effort though. Still plenty to work on, but there were a few periods/passages of play that suggested we might be slowly starting to recapture some of the early season form. Here's hoping anyway.

It was especially pleasing to see Hawkins up and about on his milestone game. Firstly, because he's our most important player - we need him in good form to have any chance in the finals; but also because it puts him back in the box seat for an AA position. I was annoyed to see him dudded for AA last year - don't want to see him miss out again after such a good year.

Selwood (of the Joel variety) was another huge positive - his form this year has been middling at best, but there have been signs lately that he is coming into form. It has been suggested that he has been deliberately playing a less demanding role throughout the year to prime him for finals (similar to Hawthorn with Burgoyne & Hodge during their three-peat years) - could be a masterstroke, if true.

All of our good work this year is going to result in our home final being played at the opposing side's home ground - Richmond. Again.

Honestly what is the point...

They're gettable, especially if it's dry. Once the rain stopped on Friday night Collingwood were able to get a run on, and that was with half their best 22 in the stands. Could've been an entirely different story if they had a forward target that night instead of having to play De Goey in the guts.

Esava is the sort of guy who could Mason Cox the Tigers in a final this year. One day he is going to clunk all of those marks.

He was on track to do it against them last time we played them, but got injured early in the third. Cost him a Rising Star nomination that week too.

He was on track to do it against them last time we played them, but got injured early in the third. Cost him a Rising Star nomination that week too.

Yes, I think Richmond have a bit of a weakness there, we have three genuine high marking targets, Hawkins, Danger and Esava.

Bit of a nothing game; I thought the defensive pressure from both teams was lacklustre with Sydney uncharacteristically down on intensity (and man power) this year.

Missing 2019 mainstays Tuohy, Rohan and Stanley it was a chance to look at our depth players in action; Parsons back for his 4th game in 2019, Smith for his 2nd game and Scott Selwood playing seniors for the first time this season.
All contributed adequately and despite their mediocre opposition they'll be difficult to dislodge next week.

James Parsons has really copped a ton of crap on this board.
Like everyone else I grew progressively frustrated with his declining form last year but I like what I've seen of him this year; bodylines the ball a bit better in the contest, and is no longer content to wait outside the contest for spillage alone. He's maturing and for a depth player I've seen plenty worse.
His goal in the last was really nicely measured; nothing out of this world, but it was clinical.
Maybe not best 22 with everyone fit and available, but he can improve further.

Zac Smith did his case no harm today; he was able to pluck the ball cleanly from ruck contests more than once today and therefore was a contributor in terms of clearances as well as hit outs. Despite a few comments on here about him only having '7 hit outs to direct advantage' I thought he gave our mids pretty good service.

Speaking of good service it was nice to see the team hitting up F50 targets in space again; Joel Selwood is always reliable in this area and again set a fine example; he'd have set up 250-gamer Tom Hawkins for more goals over his career than any other team mate; he found him by foot a few more times today to mark the occasion. Tim Kelly and Mitch Duncan also dimmed their lights to find loose forwards by foot with deft short passing.
Duncan cruised around in 2nd gear today but that's probably when he's at his best anyway.
I was %100 confident he'd nail his set shots from distance, he has been shelling them all year.

Patrick Dangerfield had his serious face on today and I always like that; nailed his two set shots and hit targets by foot more often than not - wasn't as prolific as other days perhaps, but more concise with his ball use. Good stuff.

Esava took just 1 mark for the game but he had the Swans defenders mighty nervous and he takes a lot of minding in the air.
He creates the kind of inferred pressure on backmen that allowed Jack Henry's mark early in the game; a pack of players were focused on Ratugolea and Hawkins; Henry ghosted across the pack unopposed for a pretty easy grab (but fluffed the set shot).
I also liked Sav's work in the ruck again; very content with him filling the relieving ruck duties.

Guthrie provided another week's worth of discussion and debate on his very own dedicated thread with another rorschach display; did some good things and generally kicked the ball in a forwardly direction.
But he also managed to take his eyes off the ball and go without it not once but twice - don't spend it before ya got it Guffy!

Gary Ablett into the guts finally broke the game open in the 3rd quarter, he had absolutely zero influence on the contest at half forward in the first half but then became absolutely critical for about 10 minutes after the long break - I am hopeful that the club is managing this bloke's workload with obsessive precision because an eighth of a game in the middle from an in-form Ablett might be the difference come September.
Typically beautiful summary and observations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menegola has been in Perth since Saturday if not earlier so I assume he will return this week.
He went to the airport on Thursday, so looks like it's was a trip straight to Perth

Wasn't able to watch the game but noticed Bews amassed the grand total of 7 possessions at 57% efficiency. It comes as no surprise that Champion Data had him comfortably as the worst on the ground (WOG) for the Cats.

Given that Scott had announced Tuohy is a definite in for next week then based on three consecutive poor performances, Bews' position must be tenuous at best.

Great to have a win BTW. Knocking over Sydney in Sydney is never an easy task.

I find that hard to swallow about Bews because he was one defender who spoiled quite a few entries, he might not get a lot of possessions but he did his job well, he also adds some dash out of the backline.

I find that hard to swallow about Bews because he was one defender who spoiled quite a few entries, he might not get a lot of possessions but he did his job well, he also adds some dash out of the backline.
During the first half, he seemed to be one of the few who was willing to take the game on from the back half & try to provide run & drive; and that was much appreciated at the time

Kicking the wrong way out on the full is definitely weird.

Gaz looked lost most of the game for me and he almost looked to be favoring one side, I wonder if his hip is still giving him issues, there was one example where he kicked the ball out on the full on the wing, normally he would have used his left foot but instead he awkwardly tried to use his right even though he was off balance, also the shank from the kick into the 50 that went out on the full is very unlike Gaz. I reckon he needs a rest and he might get it this week.

During the first half, he seemed to be one of the few who was willing to take the game on from the back half & try to provide run & drive; and that was much appreciated at the time

Yep exactly, possessions dont mean anything when he is doing other things to help the team, same goes for Rohan when he is in form.

I think Ablett has to play on the ball - hes too good a player to be playing on a hff - his 1st half yesterday - was a bit like that final against Melb last year - just couldnt get into it

Very good coaching move by C Scott at half time - because at the main break i wasnt confident at all - but after half time Geel just took complete control . Ablett and S Selwood made the midfield look allright

I reckon the 3rd qtr - is the best qtr Geel has played year - it was sustained hard pressure - total domination - no element of fluke about it - like some earlier games - where the opposition would own the ball - kick inaccurately - and the Cats would whip up their end for 5 quick qtrs

I think Ablett has to play on the ball - hes too good a player to be playing on a hff - his 1st half yesterday - was a bit like that final against Melb last year - just couldnt get into it

Very good coaching move by C Scott at half time - because at the main break i wasnt confident at all - but after half time Geel just took complete control . Ablett and S Selwood made the midfield look allright

I reckon the 3rd qtr - is the best qtr Geel has played year - it was sustained hard pressure - total domination - no element of fluke about it - like some earlier games - where the opposition would own the ball - kick inaccurately - and the Cats would whip up their end for 5 quick qtrs

I'm very content with the Ablett to the middle play being a break in case of emergency scenario.
Especially at the SCG, it's really hard playing as a half forward, you basically get ignored completely, no doubt that's what the move was about, getting Gaz into the game.
On the 'G, with the sun shining and a nice dry deck, you'll see the best of Gaz across half forward.

Who was on Ronke? Because they had their arse handed to them.

He took a mark on Clark I50 at one point but Bews seems opposed to him from my view from the couch...

I'm very content with the Ablett to the middle play being a break in case of emergency scenario.
Especially at the SCG, it's really hard playing as a half forward, you basically get ignored completely, no doubt that's what the move was about, getting Gaz into the game.
On the 'G, with the sun shining and a nice dry deck, you'll see the best of Gaz across half forward.
Agree with this. Too much midfield is what happened last year.

Out: Ablett (his hamstrings should go nowhere near the optus surface-rest) Taylor/Bews (managed) Henry (omitted) Sav (managed)

In: Rohan Tuohy Stanley Menegola

Keep Sav away from the big boppers in Darcy and Sandi and manage him a bit. Last chance to choose om Smith and Stanley. Thought SS merits another run. Miers might be another candidate to get managed.

I think Atkins will be nervous if Cockatoo gets fit unless he lifts his form. Henry is also borderline IMO.
If Taylor is rested, Hendo might get a call up. He was close this week

IN: Tuohy, Rohan, Henderson, Stanley
Out: Taylor (managed), Ablett (managed), Esava (managed), Henry (omitted)

He took a mark on Clark I50 at one point but Bews seems opposed to him from my view from the couch...

I like Jed, but he's an easy out for me.
Maybe, MAYBE against Richmond I could see reason to play him more, but their small forwards can only hurt you if you allow their midfield to win and get plenty of easy ball into their forwardline.
Stop their spread and transition, break even or win the midfield battle and their smalls are largely irrelevant.
Otherwise I see Tuohy and Bews competing for the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back