Review Geelong knocks off Swans by 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought Smith was underwhelming. He was always going to get 40 hitouts but it was what he did with them (fu** all) and his presence around the ground that would be telling for me. He won’t be dropped obviously but that’s only a matter of time.

Agree with you on everything except this.....

I thought his tap work was excellent....the midfield roving to him was not.

I temper that by saying I didnt think much of Smith's around the ground work....he seemed reluctant at times to attack the footy....

Anyway...as you say....onward and upward.

I temper that by saying I didnt think much of Smith's around the ground work....he seemed reluctant at times to attack the footy....

Only 7 of 35 taps to advantage. Against a nobody opposition. Stanley had 12 of 32 against McEvoy!

I think without directly saying it Chris Scott has hinted that his issue has always been that he is terrified.

He's quite funny to watch as well, he makes some classic ruckman decisions. When he played on in the middle of the ground and got cleaned up by Blakey I couldn't help but laugh...I wasn't even angry. He's a joy to have in that regard just reminds you that there are still simple joys in the game of Aussie rules

Only 7 of 35 taps to advantage. Against a nobody opposition. Stanley had 12 of 32 against McEvoy!
Could that be due to the the midfield group having played alongside Stanley more this year & reading his taps better

While with Smith they haven't really formed that connection and weren't reading him as well - that's where I think it would be beneficial to give Smith another game & see if that connection improves

I'd also play Stanley alongside Smith against Freo and see who steps it up

I actually do. But o’connor has taken his spot and offers more. Not sure why he’s even in the team.

So 2 possessions in 3 quarters of the game is acceptable to you?
Could also indicate that our midfield was finally pulling their weight & not letting to much ball through to the Swans forward line - I'd be happy if all our defenders averaged less than 10 disposals a game if it meant the ball was never in their area of play

Could also indicate that our midfield was finally pulling their weight & not letting to much ball through to the Swans forward line - I'd be happy if all our defenders averaged less than 10 disposals a game if it meant the ball was never in their area of play
Swans small forwards were good though. Ronke could have had a bag if he’d kicked a little straighter. Possessions aren’t the be all and end all for defenders but if you barely get a touch then you’re not doing it right.

Seriously...I know that it wasn't a great look from Blicavs, but considering what's been ignored in terms of staging by players it's a joke to pick this as the first punishable offence this year:

GEELONG defender Mark Blicavs has been fined $1000 for staging by the Match Review, making the in-form Cat the first player to be cited for such an action this season.

Blicavs fell to the ground after brushing past Swans defender Lewis Melican, staying on the floor for a number of seconds before eventually getting to his feet and taking his kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon CE it's almost a matter of what Stanley or Smith don't do rather than what they do do. With Stanley of late for me it's being unable to make a contest in the backline when we really needed him to. It's been being out marked with ease by his opposing ruckman from a behind kick out that he really needed to at least provide a contest and bring the ball to ground. It's happened far too often the last month which is probably why he was dropped. Not saying Smith will necessarily be much better but he needs to be given a go.

I reckon CE it's almost a matter of what Stanley or Smith don't do rather than what they do do. With Stanley of late for me it's being unable to make a contest in the backline when we really needed him to. It's been being out marked with ease by his opposing ruckman from a behind kick out that he really needed to at least provide a contest and bring the ball to ground. It's happened far too often the last month which is probably why he was dropped. Not saying Smith will necessarily be much better but he needs to be given a go.
Yep, agree.

My point has simply been people shouldn’t expect better from Smith and now I think we’ve had the first demonstration of that.

Yep. As well as being ordinary in the ruck it was more Stanley just trailed in behind a lumbering type like McEvoy (Rhys is about a thousand times more athletic than him) or moped around in ####ing no man's land around the ground. Wasn't here or there when we had the ball and needed a bail out option or when we needed someone to fill space when opponent had it.

Seriously...I know that it wasn't a great look from Blicavs, but considering what's been ignored in terms of staging by players it's a joke to pick this as the first punishable offence this year:

GEELONG defender Mark Blicavs has been fined $1000 for staging by the Match Review, making the in-form Cat the first player to be cited for such an action this season.

Blicavs fell to the ground after brushing past Swans defender Lewis Melican, staying on the floor for a number of seconds before eventually getting to his feet and taking his kick.
I'm happy with it. Was really pathetic from blicavs

I thought this sounded interesting so I looked into it.

On pressure, Champion Data records a measure each game for ‘pressure’ for each team. It’s usually between about 170 and 210 ‘points’ per game. In our wins we average 1 point less than the opposition 189-188 (so virtually nothing). In our losses, however, we average 5 points lower than our opposition (189-184). Most strikingly, however, our past three games have been -15, -12 and -10. Our pressure was 174-189 against the Bulldogs, 199-211 against St Kilda and 178-188 against Hawthorn. So there certainly seems to be some support for a view that our pressure has dropped off in recent weeks. Interestingly, it was 200-193 versus Port post-bye so kind of skewers any theory that we didn’t ‘show up’ against Port.

On tackling, the story is somewhat similar. In our wins we average 2 fewer tackles than the opposition (67-69). However in our losses we average 7 fewer (69-62). Again, there has been a worrying trend in recent weeks with tackling differential being -10 against the Bulldogs, -11 against St Kilda and -8 against Hawthorn. There are some oddities in the tallies throughout the season though. We were -28 against Richmond but won by 57 points. And were -18 against Adelaide earlier in the season but won by 24.

The best correlation though clearly comes in the form of contested possessions. We win 100% of the games where we win the contested possession count. In wins we average 18 more than the opposition and in losses we average -16.

There’s a fairly strong narrative through all of this about effort, IMO.
As we know, contested possession is the bellwether stat for us. We win 100% of the matches when we win that stat category. Against the Swans we were +30, our third best performance of the year.

Had similar thoughts myself Generalissimo - I think he is better able to identify when to 'go' and hunt the bobbling ball, then backs in those quick initial few steps to good effect.

When you list the 8 backmen in question I find it next to impossible to omit one catempire - no wonder Scott & co. try to shoehorn them all in.
Henry possibly the most vulnerable but I like him a lot despite being a touch down on impact compared to his debut season.

See what you're saying but shoehorning plays into the side is part of what has stuffed us come finals time last few years and will do again. We need the midfield/contested ball winning depth we had the first half of the year. Not a million defenders/wings.

See what you're saying but shoehorning plays into the side is part of what has stuffed us come finals time last few years and will do again. We need the midfield/contested ball winning depth we had the first half of the year. Not a million defenders/wings.

I don't disagree SimD; just saying I wouldnt want to be the one wielding the axe in this scenario.

I'm with you that our midfield is our most vulnerable line; gotta get Parfitt back into the senior line-up asap; happy for attrition and form to rule when selecting between the likes of Constable, Menegola and Scott Selwood, none of whom I am particularly bullish about.

I'm happy with it. Was really pathetic from blicavs
I don't disagree with the fine - just think it's pathetic when you consider that they have ignored staging over the previous 18 weeks, including some brilliant efforts by Ben Brown & then the Melbourne player on Saturday night where it was impossible to tell if there was any contact yet threw his head back & got a cheap shot on goal

They should fine those who stage - just frustrating that they don't more often

Could that be due to the the midfield group having played alongside Stanley more this year & reading his taps better

While with Smith they haven't really formed that connection and weren't reading him as well - that's where I think it would be beneficial to give Smith another game & see if that connection improves

I'd also play Stanley alongside Smith against Freo and see who steps it up
Don’t sugarcoat it. There’s no excuse or out clause for Smith.

He was on a nobody and objectively was worse than Stanley performed against better opposition.

I don't disagree with the fine - just think it's pathetic when you consider that they have ignored staging over the previous 18 weeks, including some brilliant efforts by Ben Brown & then the Melbourne player on Saturday night where it was impossible to tell if there was any contact yet threw his head back & got a cheap shot on goal

They should fine those who stage - just frustrating that they don't more often
I bet Blits is the first 2 times best and fairest to be done for staging,shitfull effort though and something he will now have to carry for the rest of his career,I've always been an advocate for suspensions for staging offences,cut it out completely and save future players the embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back