Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 18 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a decent performance. Remember still have Menzel, Henderson, Taylor, Cocky and Guthrie to come back. Menzel will be huge when he is back.

I’m feeling positive. If we play the tigers again with those 5 in the team, especially Menzel, I will feel a lot more confident!

But Guthrie and Gregson have to go out.

Our INS after the bye are looking very promising.

Outs: ZGuthrie, Gregson, Parsons, Linc
Ins: Taylor, Menzel, Cocky, Guthrie and I have no idea who comes out for Henderson
Don’t forget Selwood

-Dropping Buzza was awful. Rance did as he pleased because we have no one worth his time outside of Danger and Hawkins.
-Players have no communication when they spoil. Costs us so many goals and potential marks because 3 guys jump and no one worries about the players behind the pack.
-Gregson is useless. Does nothing with the ball and can't kick a goal.
-Delist McCarthy. He is a waste of a list spot if he can't run out a game.
-Guthrie is a liability. He is slow and makes awful decisions.
-Parsons is a dud. Always fumbles or slows the game when we try to move it quickly.

Stanley has been good for the past couple of weeks which is a good sign though.

We just make hard work for ourselves inside 50.

Slow build up, bomb to Hawkins who has 7 opponents.

Fast break, go sideways.

Shot for goal, Gregson/Fogarty not up to it.

Meanwhile good sides, Richmond included, make you pay when given any sort of sniff.

Missing Menzel badly.

Some good signs there today. We tired due to their small quicks... but i will start with the bad.

Zuthrie needs a whole year in the twos. Please dont bring him back beforehand.

Menegola... bad day. Enough said. He will bounce back.

Murdoch the same.

Gregson just seems off it at the moment.

Now the good.

Stanley. Enough said.

Blicavs again aside from once in the first.

Selwood. Best game of the year.

Would like to see Narkle come in for Gregson and Taylor for Zach (think Hendo needs another game at least).

We will be much better for it when we meet them in another 6 games time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too upset. We tried very hard and didn’t give up. I thought our small forwards were abs Shocking. Gregson and Fogarty.. you really have to kick those goals. For an AFL footballer they should be kicked.

Selwood is an absolute ******* machine. His will to win is nothing like I’ve ever seen. I thought Stanley was enormous also. Hopefully we learn from this and reverse the result in 6 weeks.

Good effort but tigers just more composed at the minute. We just need to clean a few things up.

Anyone knows what happened to Linc? With most of the injured players back after the bye, we should make the changes and come up with a best 22 side.
Outs: Zach, Gregson, Parsons
In: Cam, Narkle, SSelwood

On some levels the performance was quite good: we withstood their pressure for MOST of the game and were able to defend pretty well on the 'G. It seemed to be lost due to our lack of marking targets forward, our small forwards not getting dangerous and allowing Rance and Vlaustin to run their own race for far too long. Why Buzza was dropped only to push Henry, Kolo and Blitz forward at various times I just don't understand.

I didn't think the umpiring was as bad as some seemingly thought. We got away with quite a few pushes and whatnot but they got away with a few throws and pushes also. The HTB against Duncan for the sealing goal was disgusting.

Richmond were very good, as I expected, and always look like they're about to blow a game wide open. They're going to take some beating. The fact that we got reasonably close while having plenty of room for improvement gives me SOME hope but I think we may be making up the numbers unless Menz gets back and our small forwards perform reliably.

Joel Selwood deserves a round of applause for just how good he was today. Two captain's goals that brought us back into the match at various points, both earned through putting his body on the line, copping a whack and then taking on the responsibility and executing. Dead set gun.

I can see us as capable of beating Richmond, but we need our best team out on the park to do it. I’m talking Menzel, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Scooter. Without them we are good but just not good enough, and counting on those guys to get through enough games in a row just isn’t smart.

Very impressed with Stanley today. Now please do that consistently mate.

Lots of thoughts on the game but still need time to digest. With the Tiges being such a challenge at the MCG I'm happy that we were in the thick of it until late in the last qtr, I don't think we were disgraced by any stretch. Agree with the above comments that our forward structure was a primary concern. How many times did we bomb it in long to a small forward (i.e McCarthy) in an outnumbered situation? There were a decent amount of missed opportunities but the same can be said of Richmond. Parsons butchered it way too much for my liking and Zuthrie performed as largely expected pre-game. All in all it was a gallant defeat and looking forward to the rematch in a month and a half. It's certainly not all doom and gloom from here and we are still in a promising position.

We saw the difference. Their small forwards are good, ours are average.
More worryingly is that ours go back to the VFL and do well only to fail at senior level which makes me wonder if game style isn’t conducive to their success.

Other than that there wasn’t too much ch between the clubs.

Clarko has a point. The amount of times Grimes, Vlastuin and the flopping bitch tunneled their man subtly under the ball was countless. Until it is penalised it won’t stop.

Umpiring was disgraceful both ways, alarming given there was 33% more field umpires.
To remove Buzza for conditions and then bomb long endlessly was utter madness.

Out: Parsons, Gregson, Guthrie
In: Narkle, Buzza, Thurlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back