Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 18 points.

Jemaine

All Australian
Mar 17, 2009
Inner City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toothbrush Jars & Camera Phones
A 3.20pm home game at our rivals' home ground on a Sunday, what a joke.

Please tell me that the AFL forced us to play our home game there and we didn't request it?

2pm Saturday I could handle, maybe even the early game on Sunday.

But 3.20pm Sunday arvo is the biggest FU to Cats fans who live in Geelong. I got an Uber from Punt Rd straight after the game, live <10km from the ground and was still home after 6.30. No wonder none of my Geelong-based mates ended up making the trip up.

What's worse is that so few sooky of Tiger fans who complained about not being able to get into KP last year even turned up. The stands were empty. 'In any weather' huh?

Remember, they were only recently selling off home games up north, why should we have to bow down to their supporters' demands?

We should never, ever have to play a home game anywhere other than KP again. Including Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond.

People need to understand that nobody has a god-given right to attend a game of sport (see the Oracle Arena waiting list, or Anfield/Stamford Bridge etc). I'd much rather the Cats win than everyone being able to attend.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Please tell me that the AFL forced us to play our home game there and we didn't request it?

But 3.20pm Sunday arvo is the biggest FU to Cats fans who live in Geelong. I got an Uber from Punt Rd straight after the game, live <10km from the ground and was still home after 6.30. No wonder none of my Geelong-based mates ended up making the trip up.

Yeah 3:20 Sunday is a shocking time. Horrific if you're in Geelong, and not pleasant even if you're in Melbourne.

What's worse is that so few sooky of Tiger fans who complained about not being able to get into KP last year even turned up. The stands were empty. 'In any weather' huh?

Remember, they were only recently selling off home games up north, why should we have to bow down to their supporters' demands?

We should never, ever have to play a home game anywhere other than KP again. Including Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond.

People need to understand that nobody has a god-given right to attend a game of sport (see the Oracle Arena waiting list, or Anfield/Stamford Bridge etc). I'd much rather the Cats win than everyone being able to attend.

Should perhaps. It's never going to happen. We've been playing home games at either Waverley, the MCG, or Etihad for at least 30 years. It's not going to change now unfortunately.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Even as time has passed, I'm still pretty pissed off about this game, but I understand our scope for improvement out of that game is enormous (actually realising that improvement is another thing.)

This stat makes me angry though.

Tackles
Stanley = Fogarty, Gregson, McCarthy, Parsons and Murdoch combined.

Support your observation but a stat that may partly explain that is marks taken by defenders.
Our defenders took 12 marks whereas the Tigers defenders took 32 - a lot of those 32 were from our I50's so there wasn't a huge amount of groundball to dispute inside our F50.
Contrast that with our defenders who punched a lot leading to the ball in dispute inside Tiges F50 a lot.
Absence of a second tall inside 50 really hurt us as we seldom hit up a lead from our forwards and bombing it long saw our smalls competing against their taller defenders - 32 marks by defenders is a huge amount considering a lot of these were contested or intercepts.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I'm pleased we had that game at the G when we did going into the bye, we now have a very good idea of where we sit this season and what's required.We are also fortunate to have two in a row there late in the season against quality opponents in Richmond and Hawthorn,we simple need exposure at the MCG it's where flags are won,Agree though the 3.20pm Sunday was poor scheduling.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Should perhaps. It's never going to happen. We've been playing home games at either Waverley, the MCG, or Etihad for at least 30 years. It's not going to change now unfortunately.
The club should sell 11 home games to the kp trust fund. * the afl, why should hawthorn and norf profit from tasmania, wb from ballarat and melbourne from the nt, when we stand by and get shafted.

Jemaine

All Australian
Mar 17, 2009
Inner City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toothbrush Jars & Camera Phones
Agreed but at least these days we've got a fantastic modern stadium that's only going to get better.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Can list anything you want. Both sides missed gettable chances and there were absolute howlers made by the umpires that cost both teams.

Can't wait to be told what opinion that apparently supports.

Partridge... I was being slightly facetious.. I know you can list anything... but one of their comments resonated with mine so of course i listed that one...

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
One of the few people to actually note our improvement is Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne. From SEN.com

While Hoyne admitted the Tigers are going to be tough to beat, he said opposition teams are handling their pressure better in 2018.

“In that (Qualifying) final last year, that elite pressure that Richmond brought broke Geelong,” he said.

“They didn’t break on the weekend.

“I know it was a three-goal margin in the end, but I think it’s a significant improvement from a Geelong point of view.”

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Geel can improve and Rich can improve with additions to their team

I didnt watch the game live - i watched a replay - thus i new the result - and i new the qtr by qtr scores

Looking at the Quarter time score - i thought Geel had a good 1st qtr - that wasnt the case when i watched it - Geelongs 1st 10-12 minutes was deplorable - the lack of intensity - and Richmond could have had 5-6 goals

From Quarter time - Richmond kicked 6 of the next 7 goals - and in my view - up to that point it had been all Richmond

Geel played a good 3rd qtr - i think it was 20 inside 50s to 9 - but the Geel forward line - like it has been for a good while - is hit and miss . And i thought the Cats played a reasonable last qtr - they had plenty of ball

Not being negative - and i hope im wrong ( there are alot of optomistic supporters - but im not one of them ) - i think the big problem for Geel - and as Paul Roos said last night ( not into respect of Geel ) that the most impressive thing about Rich - is their speed of ball movement - and just as Crows found out in the GF - i dont think Geel can handle that - eg the Essendon game

You have to post what you think will happen - not what you hope will happen - and i think on a fast dry surface - Richmond with their all over the ground - speed of play - speed of ball movement - will cut Geel to pieces .

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

I didnt watch the game live - i watched a replay - thus i new the result - and i new the qtr by qtr scores

Looking at the Quarter time score - i thought Geel had a good 1st qtr - that wasnt the case when i watched it - Geelongs 1st 10-12 minutes was deplorable - the lack of intensity - and Richmond could have had 5-6 goals

From Quarter time - Richmond kicked 6 of the next 7 goals - and in my view - up to that point it had been all Richmond

Geel played a good 3rd qtr - i think it was 20 inside 50s to 9 - but the Geel forward line - like it has been for a good while - is hit and miss . And i thought the Cats played a reasonable last qtr - they had plenty of ball

Not being negative - and i hope im wrong ( there are alot of optomistic supporters - but im not one of them ) - i think the big problem for Geel - and as Paul Roos said last night ( not into respect of Geel ) that the most impressive thing about Rich - is their speed of ball movement - and just as Crows found out in the GF - i dont think Geel can handle that - eg the Essendon game

You have to post what you think will happen - not what you hope will happen - and i think on a fast dry surface - Richmond with their all over the ground - speed of play - speed of ball movement - will cut Geel to pieces .
Sad but true

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
If I'd see that without knowing the scores I'd have said we were beaten by around 8 or 10 goals.

Yeah, that's an excellent point, actually. I suppose it makes it a little more frustrating. Just a few tweaks to the personnel or the gameplan and the result is different.

Maybe Scotty's happy to concede this one in order to pull out a trump card later in the season - #tinfoilhatfirmlyon

Maybe Scotty's happy to concede this one in order to pull out a trump card later in the season - #tinfoilhatfirmlyon
it's a double blind - next game against Richmond he will name Zac Guthrie but replace him with - anyone from a long list of players .......

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond

The stands weren't empty. People were pushed back undercover. The MCG was just under half full. I paid over $120 just to upgrade to good undercover seats as I have an away membership. Not many can afford to do that or pay to go to away games, especially after forking out money for a membership. The day was as bad as you could get leading up to the game too. Add the horrible time slot and even many Melcat supporters who would get in for free didn't attend.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The stands weren't empty. People were pushed back undercover. The MCG was just under half full. I paid over $120 just to upgrade to good undercover seats as I have an away membership. Not many can afford to do that or pay to go to away games, especially after forking out money for a membership. The day was as bad as you could get leading up to the game too. Add the horrible time slot and even many Melcat supporters who would get in for free didn't attend.
Ah the genius of the Richmond supporter. 40,000 means that the stands were empty and yes people sat undercover but the fronts were basically empty at ground level. What an idiot to pay extra for undercover they were there for the grabbing...... free. And who the heck are Melcat supporters???? And no-one gets in for free. Brains they don't have down there at Punt Rd.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Ah the genius of the Richmond supporter. 40,000 means that the stands were empty and yes people sat undercover but the fronts were basically empty at ground level. What an idiot to pay extra for undercover they were there for the grabbing...... free. And who the heck are Melcat supporters???? And no-one gets in for free. Brains they don't have down there at Punt Rd.
If you haven't even heard of your own Melbourne based supporter group, you can't be calling someone else stupid. As for free, I meant they are payed up members and so it doesn't cost them extra to go. People also tried to sit in undercover seats near me and were moved by security as they did not have a ticket for those seats.

Last edited:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If you haven't even heard of your own Melbourne based supporter group, you can't be calling someone else stupid. As for free, I meant they are payed up members and do it doesn't cost them extra to go. People also tried to sit in undercover seats near me and were moved by security as they did not have a ticket for those seats.
Yeah I agree with everything your saying. The weather was so abysmally s**t I was surprised we even got 40,000. Worst day I can remember in Melb for years.
A massive kick in the dick to us though is that it's a home game at 3.30 on a Sunday.
What a s**t time for people traveling from and back to Geelong.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

I watched it live,Richmond always except for the second half of the first quarter looked the better side to me,more time more skillful and better set up particularly down back where we had in my opinion erred in taking out the second tall pregame.
I hate having to harp on it but we were hamstrung as well down the other end with the inclusion of young Zach,our back line IMO has punched above it's weight so far this season and is still improving but it can't as yet carry passengers every body that goes down there not only need to be capable of winning their own footy but also must be capable of blocking and take the heat to support their team mates.
We can be better personal wise,can we be better in the skills and pace area to match the Tigers not sure.

Yeah 3:20 Sunday is a shocking time. Horrific if you're in Geelong, and not pleasant even if you're in Melbourne.

Rainy day.
Works on the Caulfield line.

So no train directly to Richmond.
Yarra Park closed so would have to park a distance away (in the rain).

Took 1:05 to get to the G. Took nearly 3 hours to get home.

Back