Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

I think the age profile of our list has something to do with it. Naturally harder to recover, stay fit, and avoid injury as you get older. Less younger players to select from too.

Then throw in some unexpected injuries to key players.
Yeah the unexpected injuries hurt, like Parfitt and Menegola who played like someone worried about his shoulder. But the ones that burn are the suspensions

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly this. But the normal thing is that we cherry pick facts or situations to suit our own bias. In this case, the natural interpretation, is that Chris hates his job, is bored, is planning on leaving. And the team senses it and has given up.

Yeah, nah, it definitely wasn't said like that. Chris Scott has a very dry sense of humor and I think a lot of people (esp in the media) miss it a bit

If he really thought it was a terrible job, he'd have walked away from it ages ago

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Correct me if I’m wrong but feel like the comment was more in the conversation about his brother’s coaching future. May just be brotherly talk rather than a reflection of his personal standpoint

They were definitely talking about Brad's potential return to coaching.

He (Chris) also definitely said "it's not a very good job, to be honest'' and then implied that Brad had a better quality of life than he (Chris) because he (Chris) is still coaching at AFL level.

I'm not unsympathetic to Chris, it would be a tough job in terms of pressure and scrutiny - but I'm not sure it was too smart to publicly share his thoughts on the matter.

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's the exchange Frggr;

You could look at it and say it's tongue in cheek, you could also look at it and wonder why Chris Scott chose to say that at all - could have responded in any number of ways, but he weighs his words pretty carefully, generally.

If I'm an opposition coach and/or player and I hear the coach of the team I'm playing against that week moaning like that then I am going into the game with extra confidence knowing that they're struggling mentally.

Disagree with you there Vic; imo psychology has it's part to play in sport and signals like that which we are discussing can definitely have an effect, I believe - if I was Simon Goodwin and I'd heard that during the week then I'd have been licking my lips in anticipation.
If I was a Geelong player and I'd heard that during the week then I'd be wondering why the coach was depressed and whether I should be concerned.

Don't disagree that we are undermanned and down on form, btw, that much is obvious. But I don't think messaging such as that which Chris Scott chose to run with publicly during the week is helpful at all.

Ahhh - I was thinking of the discussion in the post match last week. I'll watch the Classified section. Apologies 😇

We have plenty of defenders. With Dangerfield, Parfitt, Rohan and Cameron returning we will need at least Henry and Tuohy to move back and possibly Clark who was forward today. I expect him to be squeezed out.
Clark to be squeezed out? That's a tad harsh, thought he was better than Smith and Menegola who understandably looked like he was being dropped straight in after surgery.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
If that list wasn't bad enough, he managed to forget Mitch Clark as well.
When you don't take the position seriously, not sure why anyone thinks they're going to put time into recruiting and developing someone decent there.
Mentioned before that Geelong used to be a team that, no matter where we were on the ladder, always had serviceable ruckmen. What happened?

Last edited:

Flogwater

Senior List
Aug 30, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Good for him.

They're professionals. It's a cop out.

Isn't the aim to finish late in the season - like Grand Final day?

Agree 100 %. I'm jack of hearing this excuse.

It was only Round 3 last week, yet many of our players seemed stuffed in the last quarter. This is not good enough for full-time and generally well-paid athletes.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
If you didn’t know the result of the game, you only need to come on here and see the presence of certain posters. They’re nowhere to be seen after a win, but very prominent after a loss. The sky isn’t falling in, but they’ll have us all believe it is. Too old, sack the coach, sack Wells etc. This team made a GF last year FFS. I completely agree with Mcguires comments recently re: Geelong supporters. It’s embarrassing tbh

FootyNoobie

Debutant
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm convinced it's a complete cop out. If you aren't ready to go by Round 1 it's your own fault. The AFL isn't tying players down preventing them from training.

Among the many pathetic excuses fans now make, that one is still right up there.

You're forgetting about all the surgeries and rehab that a lot of players go through after the season, to fix the niggles and issues they've picked up during the season. It's not an issue or motivation or laziness that we started our preseason later, it's because the players are only human and need rest. If you're able to put your body under the immense training and game day loads the players do without any breaks, while still being able to perform then please give Wellsy a call, I'm sure he'd love to sign you.

I don’t think it’s coincidental that of the three undefeated teams, two didn’t play finals last year (Demons and Swans) and the Bulldogs lost in the EF.

Or that of year’s top four, Brisbane are 1-3, us and Richmond are 2-2 and Port are 3-1... also noting that none of those four teams have looked exceptional at any point.

Also - after round 4 last year, we were 2-2 and Richmond was 1-1-2. Gold Coast and Hawthorn were both top four and ended up finishing 14th and 15th...

Let’s win the next two at home, build some momentum and take a vastly improved team to Sydney in round 7.
CoP oUt. :drunk:
Nah agree totally. Takes a little while to get into gear when you finish later.
Here's the exchange Frggr;

You could look at it and say it's tongue in cheek, you could also look at it and wonder why Chris Scott chose to say that at all - could have responded in any number of ways, but he weighs his words pretty carefully, generally.

If I'm an opposition coach and/or player and I hear the coach of the team I'm playing against that week moaning like that then I am going into the game with extra confidence knowing that they're struggling mentally.

Disagree with you there Vic; imo psychology has it's part to play in sport and signals like that which we are discussing can definitely have an effect, I believe - if I was Simon Goodwin and I'd heard that during the week then I'd have been licking my lips in anticipation.
If I was a Geelong player and I'd heard that during the week then I'd be wondering why the coach was depressed and whether I should be concerned.

Don't disagree that we are undermanned and down on form, btw, that much is obvious. But I don't think messaging such as that which Chris Scott chose to run with publicly during the week is helpful at all.

Didn't get that impression watching it live - Scott being burnt out that is.
Came across as empathy for how hard coaching is and how relentless the scrutiny is and thus Brad would be better off staying at the AFL.

The media in football are like rabid jackals that won't stop hounding a coach/club under fire until it leads to a sacking or two. I know Frawley as AFLCA president back in the day used to take journo's to task on radio for doing exactly that. Just look at here, two bit hack couch potatoes whine about Scott ad nauseam. Imagine it if we became crap for a prolonged period.

Disagree about the psychology part. Goodwin was in the same position in the last 2 seasons. He'd know full well about how tough it is, and what Scott was hinting at.
Glad someone mentioned this. The experiment has probably come to an end now. He just doesn’t have the poise necessary in the back half.
When has lack of poise in the back half cost someone lol. Safest way into the group.
We have plenty of defenders. With Dangerfield, Parfitt, Rohan and Cameron returning we will need at least Henry and Tuohy to move back and possibly Clark who was forward today. I expect him to be squeezed out.
I really liked Close and Clark tag teaming in the long sleeves at half forward. Both showed spark that has been missing for us forward of centre for some time. Persist with both please.
Didn't see much to be excited about IMO. Close to me doesn't look likely as a scorer, in the Dahlhaus mold of being a pressure player.
Thought Clark was a fish out of water, can't defend so isn't a backman. Wing or omit for me.

Clark to be squeezed out? That's a tad harsh, thought he was better than Smith and Menegola who understandably looked like he was being dropped straight in after surgery.
Nah, was talking about Atkins.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Ahhh - I was thinking of the discussion in the post match last week. I'll watch the Classified section. Apologies 😇

No need to apologise Frggr.

And again; as discussed with Vic Ward; there is no doubt that we are missing some very handy players and are generally down on form.
But I also think that when it comes to high-level sport opponents can smell even a few particles of blood in the water, and a flat coach can undoubtedly affect his squad.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, nah, it definitely wasn't said like that. Chris Scott has a very dry sense of humor and I think a lot of people (esp in the media) miss it a bit

If he really thought it was a terrible job, he'd have walked away from it ages ago
There are so many way it could be interpreted. Brad Scott had a shocking time at North, he could be just a twin brother worried he would cop it again.

One thing is clear is that coaching takes a toll on people.

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
If you didn’t know the result of the game, you only need to come on here and see the presence of certain posters. They’re nowhere to be seen after a win, but very prominent after a loss. The sky isn’t falling in, but they’ll have us all believe it is. Too old, sack the coach, sack Wells etc. This team made a GF last year FFS. I completely agree with Mcguires comments recently re: Geelong supporters. It’s embarrassing tbh

What did Eddie say? I missed it!

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
No need to apologise Frggr.

And again; as discussed with Vic Ward; there is no doubt that we are missing some very handy players and are generally down on form.
But I also think that when it comes to high-level sport opponents can smell even a few particles of blood in the water, and a flat coach can undoubtedly affect his squad.

Yeah I agree with that. We talk about short turnaround preseason, but that also means less time for coaches and admin to rejuvenate over the summer, especially after last year's hijinx

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
There are so many way it could be interpreted. Brad Scott had a shocking time at North, he could be just a twin brother worried he would cop it again.

One thing is clear is that coaching takes a toll on people.

I think that's the likely interpretation though. Coaching is a thankless task. Team wins? How good were the players!

Team loses? How bad is the coach and a million questions under an intense, unrelenting spotlight.

It *is* a s**t job in that regard

Look at Scott himself - even when we win, there are supporters calling for his head because we didn't win in a certain way or by a certain margin

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Dahlhaus’ effort was good today
84869448.jpg

Back