Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne had a better team on the park today and the stats back that up. Geelong were down Clearances ( -11) Centre Clearances (-3) Stoppage clearance (-8) Contest Poss (-19) Mark's inside 50 (-3) Contested Marks (-4) Intercepts (-6) Tackles (-8) Inside 50 (-12) Hit outs *Gawned

Just completely beaten in the contested side of the game you can't expect an efficient forward showing from these numbers.

Geelong were
(+22) uncontested possessions
(+3) Mark's
(+6) Turnovers

Pretty accurate description of how the game looked at times. A lot of this is purely cattle and you take two players in danger, Cameron whom are league top 10 in my book makes a good team look middle of the road.

The gameplan is the same that won't change the worrying aspect for me is Duncan, Higgins, Smith, Stewart, 2e look to have all the responsibility to try and break the defence open by foot and none of these guys have a lot of leg speed left.

Then you have the *others playing the buildup controlling style. It's like watching two different sides from play to play.

It's nothing new we have been playing this way for years but I feel it must be extremely difficult for the role players to get into the game and make an impact. The link up players Miers, Dalhaus, Clark, Parfitt, Henry, Bews, Oconnor performances are like yo-yos.

So I just hope we find ways going forward looking to get guys involved in positive positions. I'm not sure how to create that but I feel that's a progression the side needs to go through to improve.

All merit went to Lever for that according to the commentators.
I like Henry forward as he can take a contested mark, is agile and can kick straight. Having said that, he looked very uncertain today - stayed down a number of times he could have hit a pack, really fluffed some chances to put it over the top to some players running into forward 30m space. The most disappointing thing about the ‘bounce error’ was that there were two out 20 metres clear for a handball. If the bounce had sat up he likely would have been nailed in the tackle by Lever.

side is unbalanced at the moment need to get talls into forward line and mids back in before we see any improvement, running close Miers and Dalhaus isn't working so expect 1 to come out, the guys were flat as a tack today so not much to get out of the game except our Defence improved and look like they are coming together.

The club was well aware we would start the season underdone. They had no reason to make excuses. It is what it is.

Of note, it is a particular challenge for the older players.

I think that's the likely interpretation though. Coaching is a thankless task. Team wins? How good were the players!

Team loses? How bad is the coach and a million questions under an intense, unrelenting spotlight.

It *is* a sh*t job in that regard

Look at Scott himself - even when we win, there are supporters calling for his head because we didn't win in a certain way or by a certain margin
Chris Scott generally looked pretty jovial during his press conference. Seems in a pretty good place and realistic about where the team is at

Said they know the reasons we're not playing like we should. Some will be easy fixes, others will be harder, but he has no doubt we'll get better each week. Last year we took a while to get going, this year we are too, it's not by design.

Be interesting to know their perspective and reasonings, but we never will.

Any noteable comments made by him?
All on the AFL live app. Mentioned that there were clear reasons they’d started the season below their best and they were aware of them but not willing to make them public. He mentioned a number of post season surgeries etc. I’m guess he feels they are underdone in the fitness and preparation department and then they lost cameron, higgins, danger and rohan to squeeze them further. Add to this the Sav surgery and then Menegola and Duncan clearly underdone but will get there. Then Parfitt misses right before game day. He made a few jokes at the end and seemed quite comfortable. They know what they are doing. Only thing that raised eyebrows from me was how he mentioned about the slow movement - stated that they intended to move it quicker but that their deliberate movement has served them well over last few years and he wasn’t sure that fast movement of the ball was the only way (I’m extrapolating a little here). Interesting presser, for both what he said, implied and didn’t say. I think we are okay. Also spoke about wanting Sav to be 100% fit and confident to have a crack at it; might be a little while away yet but I can see him playing a lot in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said that Chris Scott could hand out gold bars to Geelong supporters, and they would complain they are to heavy. He actually sympathised with Scott. It’s the first Geelong related comment he’s made that I have ever agreed with sadly

Name the time and place, and I’ll make the trip down the highway. I’ll even hold out two hands. Weigh me down Scotty.

Two nice benefits:

- I get some gold
- People who make moronic exaggerations (Eddie and it seems others) get to look stupid.

He said that Chris Scott could hand out gold bars to Geelong supporters, and they would complain they are to heavy. He actually sympathised with Scott. It’s the first Geelong related comment he’s made that I have ever agreed with sadly
We are accustomed to winning. A bit spoilt or different standards? I mean look at the Essendon board after their pre season game against us. It was like they won the GF. I prefer the higher standard! Would a year off be beneficial? Seems Scott ( bags under the eyes) is struggling. Could we look at a year off scenario?

We are accustomed to winning. A bit spoilt or different standards? I mean look at the Essendon board after their pre season game against us. It was like they won the GF. I prefer the higher standard! Would a year off be beneficial? Seems Scott ( bags under the eyes) is struggling. Could we look at a year off scenario?

That would be wild. Take a sabbatical, Scotty. We'll hand over the reins to Scarlett.

That might actually work, you know. I think Scarlo would probably give the side a bit more of a hard edge

The only good thing we did last years draft, for the first time since Trent West pick we actually picked up a 18 year old kid that rucks in Neale... and you can put the Greek in there in a way... with years gone pass we seem to go after a mature age ruckman.. iv got alot of hope in Neale could be our ruck we been hoping for in about 4 or 5 years time.
We drafted West in 2005 - since that time we've drafted ruck youngsters in Simpson, Vardy & Ratugolea, Mumford was 21 when we drafted him but untried at other teams, and even Blicavs was only 20 when we picked him up

So we've actually drafted multiple young ruck options in the years since West and before selecting Neale last year

I don’t often say this but Eddies is pretty astute there!

The club was well aware we would start the season underdone. They had no reason to make excuses. It is what it is.

Of note, it is a particular challenge for the older players.

Yeah it is what it is atm, we are lucky not to be 0-4 right now so 2-2 isn't too bad given how we've been playing. Maybe we will build at the right time of the year again like last year instead of being the June premiers again and fade out in the 2nd half, just got to hope we don't drop too many in the first half of the year making it difficult to get to top 6. We still have a lot of upside with Danger, Cameron, Parfitt to come back, Menegola will get better with games too. Need to win the next 2 against North and WC at home as at this stage I can't see us challenging Sydney away and Richmond.

How does Lynch and Martin out for Richmond look to you?

Cos that's roughly what we're looking at here
Martin is twice the player Danger is, I'm afraid. And the rest of Richmond wouldn't go to water with those two out. Perhaps more importantly players like Stanley and Dalhaus would be nowhere near the AFL side at Richmond.

That would be wild. Take a sabbatical, Scotty. We'll hand over the reins to Scarlett.

That might actually work, you know. I think Scarlo would probably give the side a bit more of a hard edge
At a beer festival, anything I type should be taken with a grain of salt!

Our backline isn't enhancing Scarlett's credentials imo.

They largely play in the opposite fashion to what he did unfortunately.

Yeah it is what it is atm, we are lucky not to be 0-4 right now so 2-2 isn't too bad given how we've been playing. Maybe we will build at the right time of the year again like last year instead of being the June premiers again and fade out in the 2nd half, just got to hope we don't drop too many in the first half of the year making it difficult to get to top 6. We still have a lot of upside with Danger, Cameron, Parfitt to come back, Menegola will get better with games too. Need to win the next 2 against North and WC at home as at this stage I can't see us challenging Sydney away and Richmond.
Agreed. WC might be a challenge, but they seemed to run out of gas yesterday as well. If we don't beat North I will be very surprised, though.

Our backline isn't enhancing Scarlett's credentials imo.

They largely play in the opposite fashion to what he did unfortunately.
Reading this board is nuts.

You're baking the backline.
Before we had a bake for the forwardline
The mids got smashed
We have pathetic rucks.
We need a new coach.

4 games ago we were 20+ points up in a GF.
The rest of the comp must be pissweak if all facets of the team and coaching staff are under this scrutiny yet we got that far.

This board only serving to vindicate McGuire IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back