Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, Simpson and Ratugolea are still trying to secure their spot in the best 22.
Simpson is showing great signs but he's 15 games into his career. Hardly an instant senior player.
Ratugolea will likely want out at seasons end. Why stick around when you are not wanted as this coach prefers pea hearts like Stanley and Blicavs over you in the ruck instead?
Rohan is a complete dud of the highest order. The worst big game player in the clubs history. Jelly legs and has no angry bone in his body (except when he has the opportunity to whack blokes 5ft'7 tall or shorter).
Narkle will give us just as much forward output as what Rohan will going forward.

Dangerfield and Cameron are the only two big inclusions for us.
Get them back and we may look a lot better but with this coach and his persistence to play as many defenders in a team as possible, we aren't getting near the likes of Richmond, Bulldogs or Port Adelaide and I highly doubt we even beat Sydney and St Kilda in the next month. They are quick and play frenetically. Geelong are the 2014 Fremantle Dockers of the competition.
The hyperbole of this comment is off the charts.

Hmmmm... Yet Atkins apparent dangerous tackle isn't even mentioned, so seems the umpire was a bit whistle happy with that play

Neville Jetta, Melbourne, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Sam Menegola, Geelong, during the second quarter of the Round Four match between Melbourne and Geelong, played at the MCG on Sunday April 11.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as a Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Hmmmm... Yet Atkins apparent dangerous tackle isn't even mentioned, so seems the umpire was a bit whistle happy with that page

Neville Jetta, Melbourne, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Sam Menegola, Geelong, during the second quarter of the Round Four match between Melbourne and Geelong, played at the MCG on Sunday April 11.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as a Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

It's difficult to argue for a dangerous tackle when the person's head doesn't even touch the ground...

It's difficult to argue for a dangerous tackle when the person's head doesn't even touch the ground...

Unless you're that officiating umpire

I think the age profile of our list has something to do with it. Naturally harder to recover, stay fit, and avoid injury as you get older. Less younger players to select from too.

Then throw in some unexpected injuries to key players.

Not if you're in charge of list management or a Chris Scott acolyte it doesn't. It's a mystery though, I can't imagine why Higgins would do a hamstring in round 3. I guess 33-year-olds don't get injured that much.

Fun fact, our team on Sunday was almost 2 years older on average than our Grand Final team from 2007. On average we were 27 years 139 days old yesterday. With Dangerfield, Higgins, and Rohan all returning, and another 5 months of the season to run.

Not if you're in charge of list management or a Chris Scott acolyte it doesn't. It's a mystery though, I can't imagine why Higgins would do a hamstring in round 3. I guess 33-year-olds don't get injured that much.

Fun fact, our team on Sunday was almost 2 years older on average than our Grand Final team from 2007. On average we were 27 years 139 days old yesterday. With Dangerfield, Higgins, and Rohan all returning, and another 5 months of the season to run.
That's a fair call. The age profile of our list leaves us susceptible to more injuries. It's a gamble.

Definitely. The list will age naturally of course, but offsetting that with quality youth coming through - Clark, Narkle, Miers etc. - is absolutely critical now.
I think that's another fair call, and I reckon if we have another three or four losses in the next five weeks we might see that, with the youth getting more of a go. There is a bit of a gulf in experience and talent we need to fill - but we won't do it if we are in the hunt for a flag.

Hmmmm... Yet Atkins apparent dangerous tackle isn't even mentioned, so seems the umpire was a bit whistle happy with that play

I didn't like that tackle. I don't like sling tackles in general and that was intentional not careless.
Also the Selwood bump that got us a goal. Was really late. Thought it copped him in the head a bit but I guess not.

If you want to protect the head sling tackles are the worst. Would way rather cop a punch in the head than get my head slammed into the ground. It hurts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to remember that while there are obviously issues with older players, Both Higgins and Smith were cheap and didn't cost us any talent. If they didn't play anymore games you would probably call it a good trade already thanks partially to their influence in the two tight wins. If we get quality ball out of them, awesome. If they get injured then that's the breaks. We don't expect 100 games out of them, just a season or two while Hawk is still a force. JC is a different story, he was expensive and needs to get on the field and contribute asap.

My re-watching seemed to show barely any of those 34 touches came from when O'Connor was tagging him. I am pretty confident that O'Connor got as many touches as Oliver while standing with him.

I simply could not see where those 34 touches came from either, unless they counted the numerous fumbles and scoops that happened while O'Connor had him wrapped up at the bottom of the pack. There were maybe four occasions where Oliver genuinely beat him on replay.

To my eyes, O'Connor was sitting on him at ball ups and throw ins, but spreading away as soon as the ball cleared. Oliver got a few touches against the likes of Atkins, Narkle and Duncan but I really do think O'Connor kept him largely ineffective when he was on him.

So for me, after pretty close observation, I would not say he pantsed him at all.
Well that’s just plain denial.

My thoughts on the game

I didnt think it was too bad a loss - given the side Geel had in - when it was 8.9 to4.3 in the 3rd qtr - alot of teams would have got done by 10 goals - the way Melb were playing

Id like a quid for every time Bews has kicked a football out on the full

The more Geel games you watch - you end up impressed how opposition teams play re system - like Melb it was classical type play - move the ball and with bullet like passes to a leading forward - or kick it to a pack - but in a dangerous spot in their forward line - where as Geel the effort is there - but there is no real system - that might change a bit when Cameron comes in because he is mobile and makes multiple leads

It will be 3-2 after this weeks game which isnt too bad - and hopefully with a much stronger team going forward

My thoughts on the game

I didnt think it was too bad a loss - given the side Geel had in - when it was 8.9 to4.3 in the 3rd qtr - alot of teams would have got done by 10 goals - the way Melb were playing

Id like a quid for every time Bews has kicked a football out on the full

The more Geel games you watch - you end up impressed how opposition teams play re system - like Melb it was classical type play - move the ball and with bullet like passes to a leading forward - or kick it to a pack - but in a dangerous spot in their forward line - where as Geel the effort is there - but there is no real system - that might change a bit when Cameron comes in because he is mobile and makes multiple leads

It will be 3-2 after this weeks game which isnt too bad - and hopefully with a much stronger team going forward
I get your points, but if we are getting beaten in the MF and ruck, the pressure on balls into our F50 is immense, and we can not capitalise with only Hawk as KF. JC and dare I say it, Rohan should help, ditto Parfitt.

You have to remember that while there are obviously issues with older players, Both Higgins and Smith were cheap and didn't cost us any talent. If they didn't play anymore games you would probably call it a good trade already thanks partially to their influence in the two tight wins. If we get quality ball out of them, awesome. If they get injured then that's the breaks. We don't expect 100 games out of them, just a season or two while Hawk is still a force. JC is a different story, he was expensive and needs to get on the field and contribute asap.
The myth of the great nose dive from the cliff has been well and truly debunked. Since the premiership Scott took us to in 2011 we have churned over an entire list besides a small fraction of them in 2020, Taylor selwood Hawkins Duncan ( sub in grand final. 19 years old) are the only four from that side left, and Duncan was only a 19 year old pup, and selwood taking a back seat also most of the year.

yet we managed to make a grand final with 18 fresh new faces brought in from organic growth (draft), trading and free agency, to be able to make a grand final.

the nose dive which was well obsessed by some pessimistic fans turned out to be simply not true.

it goes to show that you always need to attack the draft, trade, and free agency equally and optimize all avenues to have a good team.

The myth of the great nose dive from the cliff has been well and truly debunked. Since the premiership Scott took us to in 2011 we have churned over an entire list besides a small fraction of them in 2020, Taylor selwood Hawkins Duncan ( sub in grand final. 19 years old) are the only four from that side left, and Duncan was only a 19 year old pup, and selwood taking a back seat also most of the year.

yet we managed to make a grand final with 18 fresh new faces brought in from organic growth (draft), trading and free agency, to be able to make a grand final.

the nose dive which was well obsessed by some pessimistic fans turned out to be simply not true.

it goes to show that you always need to attack the draft, trade, and free agency equally and optimize all avenues to have a good team.
Scott goes to bed every night and thanks the Lord Almighty that Moggs Creek is not far from Geelong and that players like to "return home"

Scott goes to bed every night and thanks the Lord Almighty that Moggs Creek is not far from Geelong and that players like to "return home"
This 1000%. And good for us. It never used to be like that. And about time we got something for our area supplying the best footy players
But yeah. Its Danger!!!!! All Danger!!!
And always has been since 2015 when we finished 10th.
Most underrated and underappreciated player to ever play in Geelong colours.

Jeeze it's a stretch to say Oliver tore him apart on his own. Melbourne very effectively blocked for Oliver and Petracca. Their midfield tore everyone up, as a cohesive unit. It helps when you have an extra clearance player around ball ups in Gawn playing too.

I'm quite confident that with a more even midfield performance when O'Connor sees more one v ones he will do a good job tagging.
Was definitely the antithesis of the Brisbane game where every cats player got behind Merrick and helped get in Neale's head.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back