Autopsy Geelong loses to Demons by 25 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I know, it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball apparently. By that logic we should have cruised to victory yesterday - he was sitting in the stands. He's getting close to Josh "he's guarding one side of the ground" Cowan levels of excuses for non-performance.

No argument for Dangerfield, Higgins, or Cameron. Problem is I don't necessarily see Henry or Kolodjashnij as being dropped. Maybe Henry, Kolodjashnij won't be. I'm not convinced at all that Ratugolea is any better than Stanley, and I can't see Bews being dropped.

As for Close, he had 19 touches yesterday and laid 4 tackles. You know the last time Rohan had 19 touches in a game? 2016. I know I know, it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball. Or something.
I do like close but he's not going to be able to drag a key defender off Hawkins the way Rohan does. Close over Dahlhaus isn't even up for debate with the latter completely don't as far as I can see. I think close should even perhaps take Higgins spot going forward as I really liked the look of our forward line with Ablett out and him in

Miers just terrible in transition of late; gets it out in space often enough which is fair reward for his hard running, then routinely butchers it by foot.
I don't care how many ******* goals Miers kicks, one day he is going to cost us big BIG time with that awful kicking style of his. FFS someone please pull him aside and tell him real footballers shouldn't dispose of the ball like that. Love the kid, but OMFG :eek:

I don't care how many ******* goals Miers kicks, one day he is going to cost us big BIG time with that awful kicking style of his. FFS someone please pull him aside and tell him real footballers shouldn't dispose of the ball like that. Love the kid, but OMFG :eek:
At 22yrs of age, I'm not sure it's going to be an easy task to change ones kicking style especially when he's probably been kicking that style for a good decade

Scott goes to bed every night and thanks the Lord Almighty that Moggs Creek is not far from Geelong and that players like to "return home"

we improved as a footy club in 2020, yet dangerfield certainly wasn’t responsible for that. In fact we lost Tim Kelly over the off season as well. If anything we lost over the pre season in terms of net gains. We still improved from having a better system and our own players internally developing and stepping up.

I would say if you look at geelong as a whole system since 2011 when Scott took over, the only conclusion you could come to that had stayed consistent is our systems and structures have been sound, as well as very good upper management decisions.

we have turned over an entire list essentially in the space of ten years, yet we always still compete as a top club year in year out with essentially always a different group of players.

We always get strong consistent performances year in year out with different teams, I’d say that’s just proof in the pudding of a very good system and structure driving things, absolutely not individuals on any level.

I don’t prescribe to that idea of one player at all, if that was true than Carlton would be a top four side because of cripps, also Fremantle would be a top four side because of fye, yet they are bottom dwellers with players just as good as danger. You can’t apply that logic to us then ignore it when other clubs are bottom of the table with individuals just as good.

All evidence across the ten years only points to one consistent fact, that our systems have always been strong and stood up putting us in good positions.

it’s also evidence that you can entirely redevelop a list while competing as long as you maximize drafting free agency and trade. If you only focus on one at any point then you will falter and fall behind.

Some quotes from this forum after our round 4 clash with the Demons:

Well we are officially the worst team to watch in the league. Didn't think I'd say that about a Geelong side
One thing is clear: we are doing no damage [this year].
Massive issues that simply arent being addressed. Players being carried by the old brigade and a gameplan that is truly awful. Talent is there but we arent playing to it. Chris Scott remains the major issue with this club.
As soon as we go slow we lose, still a mentality weak team with an average coaching setup and game plan.
The spirit of the club is dead. We are not geelong anymore. We are more like a malthouse or ross lyon team.
Scared to take the game on. Insipid coaching.
The football under Scott has been ugly for years, it's just that now our quality has gone even further down. Get used to it, folks. This is the new normal.
In 10 years with Scott at the helm we have gone from fearless to fearful. Must watch to can't watch. Ruthless to gutless. Shameless to shameful.
Oh my bad, those quotes are from our round 4 game against the Dees last year.

Might be worth waiting and seeing before declaring the season dead, folks.

Some quotes from this forum after our round 4 clash with the Demons:

Oh my bad, those quotes are from our round 4 game against the Dees last year.

Might be worth waiting and seeing before declaring the season dead, folks.

Nice post.

IIRC, at round 4 last year, we didn't have a Coleman medallist on the sideline either.

Utter classic, sauron256.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. A broken clock is right twice a day. Not to mention 'The reports of (our) demise have been greatly exaggerated'.

The doomsayers could be right this time, of course. They've had plenty of stabs at it, that's for sure. But considering the reasons for our insipid opening to this season is as compelling for me as the supposedly unprecedented narrative of chronic decline that some here are again lurching towards.

Not sure how many teams have been 'season done' at 2-2. But there's certainly some of our posters here who'd apparently like to believe that this is the case.

Playing at least five players short of your 'best 22' is a not insignificant factor in how we're travelling at the moment in my view. And the painfully short preseason is clearly hurting a few more teams than us as well.

So I'll reserve judgement on our imminent descent into irrelevance for now.

Last edited:
At 22yrs of age, I'm not sure it's going to be an easy task to change ones kicking style especially when he's probably been kicking that style for a good decade
If anyone remember Shane Heal the basketballer? he had a terrible technique but was one of the best three point shooters. Miers is in the same boat, its godawful horrendous technincally but he is a reliable shot for goal. If you tried to get him to kick conventionally it would totally ruin him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone remember Shane Heal the basketballer? he had a terrible technique but was one of the best three point shooters. Miers is in the same boat, its godawful horrendous technincally but he is a reliable shot for goal. If you tried to get him to kick conventionally it would totally ruin him.

Yup.
really the only issue I have with his kicking is his field kicking, sometimes he does that flick kick and gets right under it, sky's it and completely misses his target.

Yeah, great undersized basketball player who had to pot them from long range for that very reason.
I reckon he could throw further than Miers can kick :p

I'm not sure he's reliable at all.
Miers has a bit of Jordan Murdoch about him at the moment.
Like so many players who start off well for us, after a few years, they regress. He needs to be involved when games are in the balance. Can't keep leaving it to Selwood time and time again.
Miers is a great runner who apparently leads at the fornt in time trials so there should be no issues for him finding space when others around him are running out of gas.
Kicked 16 goals, 3 behinds in 2020. Thats pretty good in front of the sticks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back