Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
At the start of the year 1-2 games had been played maximum - i heard Malthouse on the radio discussing Geelongs midfield

With Selwood - he had tremendous admiration- called him a warrior an inspirational captain the lot

Dangerfield the same - huge wrap

With Kelly ( and bear in mind it was early in the season ) he said Kelly has been quite good in his career to date

But with Duncan - all Mick said was - oh Duncan can be allright now and again - there was no rap for Duncan at all - the way he said it

He also slated us before the adel game as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Haha- ofcourse he has tickets on himself-happy to agree with that but the rest is incorrect Cockarfitt. Take a chill pill. He’s doing his bit. He’s not the problem.
Yeah, but he's trying to do *too much* almost.

He seems like he wants to be the guy to kick the winning goal after the siren.
But if he'd make his game a bit more "team first" then we'd never be in a position to have to kick after the siren to win, cos we'd have belted the opposition into next week.

One example that stood out for me was in last week's game - his shot from 60-odd metres or whatever it was.

Ridiculous decision making.

I love the guy, but "less is more" ya know?

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
And me. Same as bucks. Both looked to me somewhat relieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The positive in both losses (Cats and Pies) is that it makes sure that the players don’t get ahead of themselves. Not just the players, the entire club and supporters too. Premierships are ‘earned’, not just given, year after year. The only time I can remember a team that was almost guaranteed it was Essendon in 2000.

Every other team to win, even if they’ve had a dominant season, has had significant challenges during the season and has had to improve or adapt.

We’ve put ourselves in an excellent position so far and that has to be commended. We can actually start focusing on top four, double chances, training focused on a longer season, not having to kill our best players to scrape into the finals, resting players with niggles, building/tweaking game plans to deal with fellow contenders etc.

The next part is about getting to the finals and keeping the top four situation and ending up with a healthy list.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You just answered the reasons.
But when he recurrently recently makes a mess of the basics, the area he normally is good at (kicking) it frustrates more.
I suspect a possible injury that affects kicking, no reason other than the howlers are uncharacteristic, but becoming repeated.

I understand frustration with his kicking but which injury switched off his handballing radar on Saturday? That was by far the bigger concern.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon people are being a bit harsh on Duncan. He's been poor since the bye, but it was only a little over a month ago that he was in a lot of peoples' AA sides and a lock for the 40 man squad.

I agree he's been prone to some really bad skill errors this year though - he was best on ground for Richmond in the first quarter of that match, and I remember posting this in the match day thread in round 6 against West Coast:

What's the go with Duncan's kicking these days? Seems to have a few absolute shanks each match this year.

So it's been happening all year if you ask me, but for the first half the year his performances more than made up for the odd shank. Hopefully he can recapture that form because he is vital as a link player to transition the ball from defense the forward line.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Tuohy was good on Saturday.
30 disposals at 77% efficiency, nine intercept possessions, and a game leading 722 metres gained.​
So was Henry. Five intercepts. He reminded me of Tom Harley at times.
The defence wasn't the problem, despite Kolo going down.

Midfield was down, and our forwards missed easy shots.
I think we missed Parfitt and somehow Ablett just couldn't get into it.

All these things can be fixed.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
30 disposals at 77% efficiency, nine intercept possessions, and a game leading 722 metres gained.

It's like looking at a church newsletter.

Think it was some bloke called Vdubs, asked which teams were best equipped to progress come September given every factor such as Rucks, MF, Forwards, Defence, HGA, Class/Skill, Speed, Coach and Gameplan, and thought we only came out ahead with Coach and defence, which means our gameplay apparently doesn't stack up compared to the other finalists.

Getting a bit carried away there methinks, the way Carlton are going at the moment reckon we could very easily drop that one as well, which means, "if" we beat the Saints we could finish 13/8 and possibly miss the finals altogether. :)
Coming out on top with coach and not mentioning game plan does not mean the game plan is no good.
It is excellent when we were 11-1, clearly.
Is it going to be excellent for the rest of this season comes down to players' availability and implementation, but I did not say it was no good.
13-9 I think you mean? We would still make the 8 > likely. Sorry for the arrogance of assuming we beat Carlton, because in all seriousness they are on the up.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
30 disposals at 77% efficiency, nine intercept possessions, and a game leading 722 metres gained.

Henrys best game of the year by a street. Only problem is he needed kolo to go down injured to do it. We cant play all 3 of kolo, stewart and henry.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
At the start of the year 1-2 games had been played maximum - i heard Malthouse on the radio discussing Geelongs midfield

With Selwood - he had tremendous admiration- called him a warrior an inspirational captain the lot

With Kelly ( and bear in mind it was early in the season ) he said Kelly has been quite good in his career to date

But with Duncan - all Mick said was - oh Duncan can be allright now and again - there was no rap for Duncan at all - the way he said it
Cos duncan is a link in the chain player. He doesnt win the ball himself and he doesnt break lines. His kicking is usually good but he has horrible turnovers a couple of times a game.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The cupboard is bare, Seeds. Did you see Smith in the VFL today? He's not the answer either.

There is no internal solution. There is no "good" option. There's just a series of bad options.
Nope didnt see the reserves. Smith was great in his afl game a couple of weeks ago. It was ridiculous they are playing blicavs in the ruck ahead of him. We get a crap ruckman and lose a good full back. Double loss.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Nope didnt see the reserves. Smith was great in his afl game a couple of weeks ago. It was ridiculous they are playing blicavs in the ruck ahead of him. We get a crap ruckman and lose a good full back. Double loss.
Number on reason we didn't get the 4 points Saturday night.Dumbest MC decision for 2019.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Only if they continue the ridiculous blicavs in the ruck experiment. Henry can replace kolo.

Agree , structurally the second ruck needs to be a forward as it was with Sav for the majority of the year.
In 2 of our 3 losses key forwards have got hold of us - Cameron and Naughton so Blitz needs to be down back to defend , the days of him being a utility should be over. Let him develop his craft down back where he can be in AA contention for many years to come.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Still the obsession about Guthrie??

He has actually done ok since coming in. His a solid good player. Every team needs them for balance

-4 metres gained and 12 disposals as a mid is not ok. What is a solid player? One who never really contributes much but has to stay in the team regardless?

Guthrie spent more than half of the first quarter on the bench. Our best quarter by far.... Why?

In a time of heavy midfield rotation to keep players fresh why is Guthrie sitting on the bench for around 35-40% of the game every week?

Last edited:

PatrickBateman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Cartagena, Colombia
AFL Club
Geelong
He has actually done ok since coming in. His a solid good player. Every team needs them for balance

See, this is what I mean when I say - Guthrie supporters have an extremely low bar they use to measure his worth.

All I can decipher from what you've said here is, Guthrie is not very good, but we need such players to even out our guns for 'balance'... ? No?

Does Guthrie's -4m gained in 12 touches help even out the + meters gained by our effective players? Lol!

On the other side of the coin, it's despicable how supporters don't give Dangerfield the credit he deserves. Even when he's clearly best on ground, people in the MVP just overlook him because he's always performing at a high level - or misses a goal. It's imbecilic. Dangerfield was BOG on Sat night. To play the way he did in a side / midfield that played so s**t, that's HARD. To buck the trend?

All Lachie Hunter did was run around on his own into space all night. Guthrie could have actually contributed something on the night and followed him perhaps? Better than what he did contribute in reality... -4m.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics

I wonder if Mick slagged Duncan when, '11 GF as an effective sub for Pods, he slammed a beauty on the run from 50 metres (third quarter). I don't know about Malthouse or anyone else, but I'll take Duncan's defensive role that still provides skill on the run, and at set shots. Most often he does his job unheralded, despite recent clangers.

Malthouse, King, Cornes, partake in the the oldest media whore trick in the book-create controversy or offence to keep the spotlight on themselves.

Henrys best game of the year by a street. Only problem is he needed kolo to go down injured to do it. We cant play all 3 of kolo, stewart and henry.
Henry looked good when we set up down back and he could float in as the third defender - when he way one out with his opponent he looked susceptible, where he was outbodied or lost his footing and the gave away at least a couple of goals.

I know there were complaints that Blicavs should have done better at the end of the second quarter to kill the ball in the air, but it was Henry's opponent who ended up taking the mark to kick the goal after the half time siren - he also needed to do better & not allow what ultimately appeared to be a relatively easy mark

I wouldn't mind Henry going back to the VFL and working on his one-on-one defending

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Henry looked good when we set up down back and he could float in as the third defender - when he way one out with his opponent he looked susceptible, where he was outbodied or lost his footing and the gave away at least a couple of goals.

I know there were complaints that Blicavs should have done better at the end of the second quarter to kill the ball in the air, but it was Henry's opponent who ended up taking the mark to kick the goal after the half time siren - he also needed to do better & not allow what ultimately appeared to be a relatively easy mark

I wouldn't mind Henry going back to the VFL and working on his one-on-one defending

Won't be a popular view, but I completely agree. But they won't do it, he'll learn on the job. Hopefully.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, but he's trying to do *too much* almost.

He seems like he wants to be the guy to kick the winning goal after the siren.
But if he'd make his game a bit more "team first" then we'd never be in a position to have to kick after the siren to win, cos we'd have belted the opposition into next week.

One example that stood out for me was in last week's game - his shot from 60-odd metres or whatever it was.

Ridiculous decision making.

I love the guy, but "less is more" ya know?
Yep, totally agree with this frggr, but it’s a double edged- sword isn’t it? That confidence in his abilities leads him to overdo things sometimes, but also means he does really good stuff. And if he dents his confidence we might lose the silly stuff but also the good stuff might suffer. So If I weigh it up I probably say go for it and accept there will be blues but it’s ok because mostly he’ll be way into credit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back