Autopsy Geelong loses to Dons by 34 points at MCG.

He does it no more or less than anyone else. That’s kinda the point.

Just trying to help you guys in your thread analysis. Yeah, he leads, but to try and imply he doesn't crash packs isn't accurate.
He's the only big bloke we have to aim at. The way we generally work is hit it to 15m out dead in front, he brings it to ground, we lock it in or set up a score.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

Just trying to help you guys in your thread analysis. Yeah, he leads, but to try and imply he doesn't crash packs isn't accurate.
He's the only big bloke we have to aim at. The way we generally work is hit it to 15m out dead in front, he brings it to ground, we lock it in or set up a score.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.
Think you’re missing the point.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
I wouldn’t exactly say that Danger played in the ruck. He didn’t contest in the ruck at all, he was simply trying to read he tap. It is more accurate to say we were playing an extra mid and had no one in the ruck.

Think you’re missing the point.

Nah, i’m not, but, cheerio. See you all on the boards somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Wojo

Senior List
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Think a lot of the Geelong ones did though.
Agreed, I got even more concerned when the players were coming on to the ground and ours looked so laconic and flat and the bombers came bouncing out chomping at the bit. Geelong were not switched on and not prepared for an onslaught. Looked like they were just going through the motions.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I wouldn’t exactly say that Danger played in the ruck. He didn’t contest in the ruck at all, he was simply trying to read he tap. It is more accurate to say we were playing an extra mid and had no one in the ruck.
Yeah he did, from what I can recall he took atleast one centre bounce, one boundary throw in on the wing and two in the forward pocket to which he inevitably gave away two free kicks.

This must never happen again.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Here you go:

"Yes, I’d like to be more consistent, but that’s what everyone tries to be. I’ve been a little bit patchy this year – I had a really good start, faded from rounds six to rounds 16 or 17, and I’ve had a pretty good back end of the season, apart from being suspended. So I’m relatively happy.

Some people say I should have more of a physical presence, but it’s a fine line. You look at the way key forwards like Tony Lockett and Gary Ablett senior used to play back in the day, and you get a lot of advice that if someone gets in your way you’ve got to let them know about it.

But I’ve seen plenty of incidents that Lockett and Ablett used to do that you would be spending a lot of time on the sidelines if you did that now. The game’s changed, and
I don’t really see the necessity of getting stuck into people who get in my space."

That, to me, suggests he's not really up for letting his presence be known, physically. I don't agree with his "things that Ablett and Lockett did would see you sidelined" as an excuse. Nobody's asking him to belt blokes off the ball, just make defenders think twice about getting in his way, just as he did to that GWS bloke.

Yeah, he gave away the free (and got fined), but if it was in the contest and not late, I'm not sure he would have gotten in trouble.

From: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/tom-hawkins-truth-about-jumper-punches/#0L0Z6ckk7dcmvApU.97
Pathetic response. That sort of attitude should see him back in the vfl

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah he did, from what I can recall he took atleast one centre bounce, one boundary throw in on the wing and two in the forward pocket to which he inevitably gave away two free kicks.

This must never happen again.

yep i couldn't believe it. it may have been the moment for me where Chris Scott jumped the shark.

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
yep

It was an extremely poor day but so what its only 4 points. And Id say there would be several players that would have learnt a bit today.

It would be great if that was true but one thing I've learnt is that we dont learn s**t. Serving up the same bollocks we did against Essendon a year ago doesn't give me much hope in the learning capacity of our group.

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
He was pretty good a week ago.

Was thinking the same thing myself, slotted back in very well, second game back from a long spell and although he was poor so were about 16/17 others, so not sure where the idea that he's cooked comes from.

Interesting reading the varying opinions on Hawkins and Blicavs games, some saying they were crap and others having them in the votes (which isn't saying a lot anyway) personally rated them both as poor, when the game was up for grabs early Hawkins offered us nothing up forward, and Blicavs had a nightmare of a first quarter.

Our structure was ****** yesterday. Backline has been operating well for weeks and we lost out marking CHF. So why would you shoe horn HT into the defence and make things unbalanced, and then in the same motion leaving us with one marking forward when our system has relied on a strong contesting CHF and FF.

How is it obvious to us plebs on here, but the coaching staff miss it completely?

Welp, back to selection merry go round this week when we drop 4 players, bring back Stanley but then don't drop Parsons.

If that happens I might have to seriously consider boycotting the game. I realise he had a lot of company yesterday vying for WOG, and that we're hamstrung to a degree with injuries, but fair dinkum how many more games can they gift him before saying enough is enough.

Won't even mention Paddy in the ruck, mainly because words fail me. :rolleyes:

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone posted this in response to the Cats Facebook post about the loss.
fdcaf73e8a92c7d6aeebc4382f79a2c4.jpg

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The way those Essendon tall fwds took control why wouldn't you leave Blitz permanently in defence.
Essendon had Hooker key defense!
We have a ruckman don't we?

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
A very disappointing result yesterday, yet another capitulation on the MCG against an opponent who applied serious pressure on our ball-carriers. Again, the blueprint for beating Geelong on the MCG is very obvious, a real concern no doubt. Our ruck crisis is as evident as ever. I have read post after post on here as to who is better - Smith or Stanley. Maybe we can just about all agree they're both as bad as each other, neither is good enough. There is no simple solution here. I guess giving Abbott an opportunity can't hurt, but we can't expect him to just come in and be a good AFL level ruck straight away, that takes time. But perhaps we need to see whether he can compete and whether he has scope for improvement. We won't know if we don't play him.

I read numerous posts on here during the game day thread bagging our "bottom 6 players". Yes, they were all terrible, but we didn't get belted because they weren't playing well. I think people need to accept that not all 22 players are going to be superstars. Every club has them, we just have to manage them as best we can. Yesterday's result cannot be blamed on Murdoch, GHS, Thurlow, Parsons etc, they of course didn't help the cause but it was our senior players who failed to show them the way. They are easy targets among posters, but we need to delve a bit deeper and question some other senior players whom we have higher expectations. The same guys who have failed in finals the last few years. Our good players did not step up under pressure and lead the way under extreme heat in a game where finals pressure and intensity was simulated by a team not likely to be even there in September.

The handballs to guys standing flat footed and under pressure is clearly not Chris Scott's game plan or an employed tactic, although it's believed by some here that it is. Rather, the overuse of the handball is a direct result of pressure and perceived pressure being applied, before a dump kick is executed under extreme duress, generally causing a turnover. Our pressure last week caused Collingwood to do exactly what we did against the Dons. When we're playing really well we're direct and kick the ball more. I terms of positives, I thought Hawkins was simply brilliant, he tried his guts out and was clearly a victim of the lack of forward 50 entries and the rubbish passes coming his way given the ball carries in the middle were under extreme duress kicking it inside 50. Crameri presented well and continues to improve. Tuohy very good. Ablett's lack of physicality, presence and impact is a concern. But he may turn it around if/when he gets a run of games into him. Taylor had the second game blues, but I'm backing him in to respond.

A very disappointing result yesterday, yet another capitulation on the MCG against an opponent who applied serious pressure on our ball-carriers. Again, the blueprint for beating Geelong on the MCG is very obvious, a real concern no doubt. Our ruck crisis is as evident as ever. I have read post after post on here as to who is better - Smith or Stanley. Maybe we can just about all agree they're both as bad as each other, neither is good enough. There is no simple solution here. I guess giving Abbott’s an opportunity can't hurt, but we can't expect him to just come in and be a good AFL level ruck straight away, that takes time. But perhaps we need to see whether he can compete and whether he has scope for improvement. We won't know if we don't play him.

I read numerous posts on here during the game day thread bagging our "bottom 6 players". Yes, they were all terrible, but we didn't get belted because they weren't playing well. I think people need to accept that not all 22 players are going to be superstars. Every club has them, we just have to manage them as best we can. Yesterday's result cannot be blamed on Murdoch, GHS, Thurlow, Parsons etc, they of course didn't help the cause but it was our senior players who failed to show them the way. They are easy targets among posters, but we need to delve a bit deeper and question some other senior players whom we have higher expectations. The same guys who have failed in finals the last few years. Our good players did not step up under pressure and lead the way under extreme heat in a game where finals pressure and intensity was simulated by a team not likely to be even there in September.

The handballs to guys standing flat footed and under pressure is clearly not Chris Scott's game plan or an employed tactic, although it's believed by some here that it is. Rather, the overuse of the handball is a direct result of pressure and perceived pressure being applied, before a dump kick is executed under extreme duress, generally causing a turnover. Our pressure last week caused Collingwood to do exactly what we did against the Dons. When we're playing really well we're direct and kick the ball more. I terms of positives, I thought Hawkins was simply brilliant, he tried his guts out and was clearly a victim of the lack of forward 50 entries and the rubbish passes coming his way given the ball carries in the middle were under extreme duress kicking it inside 50. Crameri presented well and continues to improve. Tuohy very good. Ablett's lack of physicality, presence and impact is a concern. But he may turn it around if/when he gets a run of games into him. Taylor had the second game blues, but I'm backing him in to respond.
Great summary.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Krock were suggesting yesterday we have a very stubborn coaching group,that may explain why we keep falling over the same way year on year.
I think that was in reference to Danger being in the ruck for so long. They'll persevere with something that isn't working when it's obvious from the outside that a change needed to be made.

Back