Autopsy Geelong loses to Dons by 34 points at MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

All our recent mature aged recruits would come to us and welcome the change of culture from their old clubs: Touhey, Smith, Rivers, Henderson etc......

The sad thing is, I dont think Crameri would be thinking the same thing at the moment......he must be wishing he was still a Bomber, despite what they went through!

Don't agree that that's how it played out mate, but even if it did - why is Smith in the side if he can't ruck around the ground? Blicavs is horrible in the ruck, so if he was preferred over Smith then that's a fair indictment on Smith.
A lot of the game it was...

All our recent mature aged recruits would come to us and welcome the change of culture from their old clubs: Touhey, Smith, Rivers, Henderson etc......

The sad thing is, I dont think Crameri would be thinking the same thing at the moment......he must be wishing he was still a Bomber, despite what they went through!
?

He left them and went to the Bulldogs - it's not like he was playing for Essendon last year before being delisted & joining us

Comment makes no sense

Reiwoldt said that Essendon's pressure rating in the first half was 236 I think, league average is 180. Why aren't we all questioning the professionalism of AFL footballers? Why can't they ALL get to that level every week? 91 tackles by the Bombers FFS.

Time to admit that the C Scott method does not stand up under pressure on the MCG and we will not win a flag playing like that.

Once we had a group of players who rose to pressure and hit back twice as hard. All I’ve been seeing for the last 3 years is a team who folds like a cheap card table when under the pump

Clearly no Esava, no Geelong!!!!!!!

I’m always fascinated by the meltdown when we have a less than satisfactory performance. The coach is rubbish! Get rid of (insert names) they’re no good and will never be any good! No sustainable game plan! We have no depth! Blah, blah, blah!

This is the most even season in a long time. Any side on its day is capable of beating any other if they are off the pace just a little. And Essendon has a good list that has been under performing. Throw-in that we often struggle on the wide open spaces at the ‘G’, particularly against sides that have some leg speed and can utilise it. And the Bombers were seeking a form of redemption.

We are one of the many sides vying for a top eight place and in many respects have outperformed given the inexperience and loss of important players. And remember but for injuries we would have tossed the Weagles on their home turf.

As with most sides we need our best 22, or close to it, on the park to be serious contenders. We are a fair bit below that at present.

Today was a down day. It happens. Chilax!

A Short and Generic Autopsy of Any Bad Geelong Loss in the Past Five Years

By Anyone with Eyes

Geelong’s opponent is motivated to come out firing. Geelong’s opponent brings a maniacal intent to pressure and tackle, never giving Geelong any space to handball to a player who can kick under no pressure. With a bit of luck and Geelong on the back foot, Geelong’s opponent kicks a few early goals and builds confidence and pressure. Geelong’s very technical gameplan, reliant on a very particular brand of footy involving cautious ball movement, falters under the pressure. Geelong players taking possession are immediately tackled. Some 50:50 frees and some lucky bounces go against Geelong. More opponent goals. A handy buffer at quarter time.

Geelong adjusts slightly once the heat goes out of the game. From here it goes one of two ways: move the ball quickly and get back into it (causing everyone to question why that isn’t plan A) or continue to try to chip and change direction and allow the opposition to put the foot down harder on the throat. In bad losses it’s always the latter, never managing to get back into it. Further, at no stage does Geelong even attempt what its opponent brings: intense pressure that can reverse the roles and put the opposition on the back foot.

The quarter time buffer is within a goal or two of the final margin.

*credits roll, crowd boos*

Playing Dangerfield as a ruck at centre bounces and some throw ins is a sign of a (choose from the list below) coaching display.

contrary
dense
headstrong
inflexible
insistent
intractable
mulish
obstinate
stupid
pig headed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what was it with the confusion at the start of the first and third quarters? It seemed as though the players were unsure as to who would be the fourth starter. Inexcusable.

Bull s**t

It was being lined up all week.

If our club leadership had any brains they would have treated the game with the respect required!
This is the same thing that happened after the Bombers were beaten by the Dogs. Got smashed in the media and then played like superstars against Port.

Hence why it's a media influenced win.

Playing Dangerfield as a ruck at centre bounces and some throw ins is a sign of a (choose from the list below) coaching display.

contrary
dense
headstrong
inflexible
insistent
intractable
mulish
obstinate
stupid
pig headed

More like

castrated
constipated
An attempt to be machiavellian
short sighted
lacking bullets
too big for ones breeches
drinking ones own bath water..

Parsons is going to be the next big thing - just ask Vdubs. He does things you don't see OK and the club loves him hence giving him a huge contract. We should all shutup the club knows best.

What are these things we don't see?

I do see him avoiding physical contact in every possible circumstance though, no physicality at all, his tackles are throw one arm out efforts, never puts his head over it, jumps early for high marks he should be backing into, again to avoid contact. He is skilled, but he needs to either get some size or some guts (or both) to be AFL level standard. He's miles off...

Club doesn't always know best either. Need we list the failed players who were given more opportunity than deserved, only to be traded or leave? There's plenty. Faith is required, sure. But Parsons lacks too many fundamentals right now.

Correct.

I hate to say it, but it's normally those with little idea of the game who blame the goal kickers in situations like these. Hawkins is a very important player every week, for a variety of reasons. He tool marks late primarily because the Bombers eased up a little and we got space / time to utilise our structure, something they didn't let us do all game.
Have we played a game with Sav, Menzel and Hawkins yet? That’s a structure I’d like to see. One of them would get off the chain each week.

I thought Hawk and Crameri presented well today.

I’m always fascinated by the meltdown when we have a less than satisfactory performance. The coach is rubbish! Get rid of (insert names) they’re no good and will never be any good! No sustainable game plan! We have no depth! Blah, blah, blah!

This is the most even season in a long time. Any side on its day is capable of beating any other if they are off the pace just a little. And Essendon has a good list that has been under performing. Throw-in that we often struggle on the wide open spaces at the ‘G’, particularly against sides that have some leg speed and can utilise it. And the Bombers were seeking a form of redemption.

We are one of the many sides vying for a top eight place and in many respects have outperformed given the inexperience and loss of important players. And remember but for injuries we would have tossed the Weagles on their home turf.

As with most sides we need our best 22, or close to it, on the park to be serious contenders. We are a fair bit below that at present.

yep

It was an extremely poor day but so what its only 4 points. And Id say there would be several players that would have learnt a bit today.

Have we played a game with Sav, Menzel and Hawkins yet? That’s a structure I’d like to see. One of them would get off the chain each week.

I thought Hawk and Crameri presented well today.

Yep. I’ll admit I haven’t been keen on Crameri - but he had a dip today and was one of our better players.

What are these things we don't see?

I do see him avoiding physical contact in every possible circumstance though, no physicality at all, his tackles are throw one arm out efforts, never puts his head over it, jumps early for high marks he should be backing into, again to avoid contact. He is skilled, but he needs to either get some size or some guts (or both) to be AFL level standard. He's miles off...

Club doesn't always know best either. Need we list the failed players who were given more opportunity than deserved, only to be traded or leave? There's plenty. Faith is required, sure. But Parsons lacks too many fundamentals right now.
LOL dude I am being sarcastic - I got abused by Vdubs for suggesting Parsons is not our future. The guy is a spud - apparently though he does things no one sees and the club loves him.

Yeah. No. Constant issues keep happening, be it lack of intensity, coaches inaction during matches when our opponents get a run on, and poor match committee selections (lost Esava, didn't replace with a CHF who can be back up ruck so we end up with DANGER in the ruck?)

Plenty of heads in the sand, but things that have been an issue since 2013 are still happening. Turned over a lot of players in that time which means its down to the coaching.

Add in poor depth, and players getting games that shouldn't and you get results like todays, which echo issues we have in finals when our opposition turn the heat up and the same mistakes present themselves.

Teams hammer us early, we roll over, 45 points down early second half, some late goals to have a "brave" scoreline but end result is no effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back