Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Arguing over 15m or HTB in the dying seconds is a bit of karma really. We should have lost the Lions game with a HTB.
Swings and roundabouts.
It's a funny thing this concept of Karma.

Essentially, only Geelong got their karma. Sydney stole a win, Brisbane had a win stolen from them. WHere's their karma?

Both situations are irritating, umpires, should be getting these things right, no matter what teams are playing.

BotsMaster

2021 May Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
It's a funny thing this concept of Karma.

Essentially, only Geelong got their karma. Sydney stole a win, Brisbane had a win stolen from them. WHere's their karma?

Both situations are irritating, umpires, should be getting these things right, no matter what teams are playing.
Both games should never have come down to an umpire's decision in the first place as we had control for most of those games.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
"Theft" comes to mind with the result..but as they say you take your chances..etc etc...Thought the call on Jeremy Cameron was wrong big league..that ball was "live" as in not touched & it traveled the required distance..plenty of smartphone footage showing the distance & how the umpire was not calling play on like they do when the ball is touched..The umps were sub-par on Saturday night for both teams..Not surprised at the AFL apology..The best thing I saw from Geelong on the night was clearly Jack Henry..The way he moved around the ground..the way he stood at the centre of defense..ran loose..accurate passing..ruckwork..and his spoiling was something to behold.. No wonder your team has signed him up very quickly for 3 years..leadership material there... I wouldn't worry too much where the team is headed....if you are getting plenty of the ball you are doing something correct..anyhow I'm not a coach..BTW Chris Scott is brilliant love his work...Please enjoy some snaps we took..and all the best for 2021 season..sorry to hear the news of Frank Costa passing.. Your club is all the more greater thanks to Frank..

View attachment 1117785

View attachment 1117786

View attachment 1117787

View attachment 1117788

View attachment 1117789
love the black and white shots.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
OUT: Z. Guthrie, Clark, Narkle, Stanley, Miers
IN: Sav, Simmo, S. Higgins, Holmes, (Clark med sub)
Curious to see how Sav would go against Nank this year. Last year, in our home and away game, he got a little lost during the game and was bullied in the ruck. He only really came good in the forward line in the last quarter - but was inaccurate.

goyoucatters

Premiership Player
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I dont think so. He turned it on after half time against the bulldogs. Very impressive. The guy is our Selwood equivalent.
I agree that Cotch is a big 'out' for them. Still, they're playing Geelong this weekend. No team better at taking a depleted opposition and making them look totally untroubled by the omissions.

Hayden McLean, anyone?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
We are a silly side with silly supporters who implode at each other.

The umpire has one job to do. And its to officiate on the rules, and not the vibe. If its too hard, the AFL simplify needs to simplify the rules.

Yes we need to kick straight. BUT we also need to be rewarded for taking marks.

Yes Stanley had a bad game, But do you think the WCE wanted him banished after last week.

In terms of umpires the key points the glogs at the AFL need to remember:
1. there is a rule about sliding into player legs, and it is the reason kolo is injured. there is a rule apply it
2. watch the sydney game, and watch the geelong players being tunnelled, no free applied
3. the goal review, why are we looking at whether the blal was touched when kick, are we going to use the same to see is the ball travelled the requisite distance, if the player was out of bounds when he kicked it

seriously this is amateur hour
Your the silliest bloke here.
After a loss you always get a blow in who just comes on to bag all the supporters for not enjoying the loss. Its weird.
We're not blaming the umps cause they were on our side the whole night and we didn't take our chances before one didn't go our way.
The same way we didn't praise the umps for the Brisbane game cause we knew they had the run of the green and didn't take their chances before one didn't go there way.
We are actually the best level headed supporters you will ever find.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
He has such a low bar, that “playing ok” is about as good as you can hope for. Seriously, if that is as good as it gets for him, why would you bother. Much rather get games into a youngster who actually has potential beyond “can sometimes play ok”.
Look it doesn't matter if he's not very good.
He is versatile and fit!
By versatile can only play in the backline.
By fit we end up with 0 rotations left at the end of the game.
He is the best we have.

Down at K Park

Brownlow Medallist
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Constable comes on and only get 15 possessions he is crap, one dimensional and grossly unfit. Should be delisted. (Even though we won)
Zuthrie comes on and is versatile and fit.
I was actually pretty staggered by the number of people saying things like "he didn't really stuff up", "he was ok", "did a couple of good things". He had 6 touches and zero influence in any way. He never has ever had any influence on a game. Double figure touches are rarities for him.

The bar is so low for him it's almost touching the ground.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I was actually pretty staggered by the number of people saying things like "he didn't really stuff up", "he was ok", "did a couple of good things". He had 6 touches and zero influence in any way. He never has ever had any influence on a game. Double figure touches are rarities for him.

The bar is so low for him it's almost touching the ground.
I know. Good choice as sub cause he's versatile??? Just staggering.
He'll get another contract too. Will make almost a couple of hundred of grand over the next 2 years.

STPer18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If Constable comes on and only get 15 possessions he is crap, one dimensional and grossly unfit. Should be delisted. (Even though we won)
Don't try work it out, you'll give yourself a headache. This is Constable coming on as the sub against Hawks, we only won by 5 points remember. 14 touches and a pretty impressive goal. Been on the list a year less than Z.Guthrie as well.

Mad_Hatter

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably comes down to expectations.
Nobody expects anything from Zuthrie so when he doesn't stuff up people have positive reactions to his game, on the other side plenty around believe Chook is a star AFL player by potential so unless he reaches those kind of heights there are negative reactions to his game.
Personally, I don't find either to be AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't try work it out, you'll give yourself a headache. This is Constable coming on as the sub against Hawks, we only won by 5 points remember. 14 touches and a pretty impressive goal. Been on the list a year less than Z.Guthrie as well.

I don't see a young Geelong inside mid do things often.
But when I do, I think Delist! Delist now!!!

Sire of Claude

Debutant
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
No-one has mentioned Rohan's kick in the last 2 minutes, which instead of being in to the pocket as it should have been, was kicked to a contest where it was marked by the Swans defender: the winning goal came from that rebound.

Seeds

Hall of Famer
Sep 15, 2007
I don't know
AFL Club
Geelong
Both games should never have come down to an umpire's decision in the first place as we had control for most of those games.
The Brisbane game didn’t. Brisbane kicked 5 goal and 3 behinds from umpire decisions. The umps are the only reason they were in it. Plus not calling Neales throw a minute out from the end also kept them in it.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure too many would be surprised by who got the 10 votes, but interesting that Duncan was the only other player to get votes from both coaches

10 Tom Hickey (SYD)
6 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
4 Jack Henry (GEEL)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Tom McCartin (SYD)
2 Gary Rohan (GEEL)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)
1 Joel Selwood (GEEL)

Really_

Rookie
Mar 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Your the silliest bloke here.
After a loss you always get a blow in who just comes on to bag all the supporters for not enjoying the loss. Its weird.
We're not blaming the umps cause they were on our side the whole night and we didn't take our chances before one didn't go our way.
The same way we didn't praise the umps for the Brisbane game cause we knew they had the run of the green and didn't take their chances before one didn't go there way.
We are actually the best level headed supporters you will ever find.
really
there are enough nuff nuffs who bag the coach, and want narkle and constable to play all games
both are not fit
narkle in the second just blew up
its unprofessional to turn up so unfit

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Has anyone answered how we lost from 39 conceded inside 50’s?
14 goals from 39 entries... 36% . That’s horrendous.
Their heat map shows how:
Screenshot_20210503-181804.png

They camped in our forward line - pretty much the entire team. We just put it on the boot without lowering our eyes.

It's not a tactic that works with smarter delivery. But it was effective on Saturday.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
Their heat map shows how:
View attachment 1117974

They camped in our forward line - pretty much the entire team. We just put it on the boot without lowering our eyes.

It's not a tactic that works with smarter delivery. But it was effective on Saturday.
Yep, we played dumb football and they were far more efficient in their forward line.

Our statistical domination was destroyed by inefficiency of mind and movement.

Last edited:

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes I agree there is a degree of 'defining' when one says domination. I dont think a game of footy is like a boxing match where each round you win on points ..and you lose after dominating a fight with one hit. Its more a race and who is ahead at the end.

We lost 3 out of 4 quarters. If we are winning on stats yet losing on the scoreboard then id say there are other stats that show why we lost that are more important, and perhaps there are flaws in the stats we won in.I heard DKing this morning say we should have won on that estimated goals 111 to 70 something. There is something very wrong when there is 40 points different to the outcome.

Why dont we measure inside 40's , inside 30's. Just because there is a line one the ground we measure I50's? 40 is more within scoring range. Did every I50 produce an entry that should have produced a goal? How often did a centre clearance produce a mark inside the i40?

Possessions are almost superficial as a measurement when we are playing kick to kick in the backline. What about marks around the ground. How many possessions in a chain before it produces a shot at goal. How much time in possession to produce the shots at goal. How many opponents are inside the i50 by the time we kick it in? How many times do we kick it to an out maned forward

Our tall man influence failed again. Henry was a standout which says a lot imo. It made me remember Nankervis in last year GF. Killed us at times with marks.

The missing of goals ..how much was our style a part of it? Are the forwards asked to work to far up the ground? I heard a discussion that talked about efficiency this morning that said WC forward do not go further than 70 from goal. So it may not just random when you miss shots. I wonder how often Hawkins has a shot at goal after expending a lot of energy. Its not the first time he has missed key shots at goal.

What Id like to see is the stats that show Stanleys influence against the WC and his non influence against Swans. How did that affect us. Its not the areas we won in , its the areas we lost in that I am interested in.

That McLean marked like he did is an issue. That is mark inside 50 ..but is far deadlier than a mark on the 50 Metre line.

It seemed to me that we failed to take it on more or were allowed to take it on more. Are there stats about how often we were quick and direct in Q1..but not the rest of the game

We did enough to win the game. That Swans were allowed to win is in the stats somewhere. Just saying we dominated ..and it was random bit of bad luck is almost ignoring what happened , so one can continue on with our current methods and procedures..with the attitude one can not help bad luck. We seem to have a lot of bad luck at times.
Well the stat was our conversion rate. It sucked, so we lost when we should have won comfortably.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Yep, we played dumb football and they were far more efficient in their forward line.

Out statistical domination was destroyed by inefficiency of mind and movement.
May need to look at it again but we seemed flat - particularly in the first quarter as there was little celebration when we kicked goals - looked very subdued to me.

Remove this Banner Ad