Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Drunkcat

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
A game i can not get out my head vs Swans at home Robert Scott with shot after siren in the pocket river end he hit the post and we lost by couple points, dont know what year anyone remember that game?

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
yep saw ..still the same stats, and were still out scored in 3 out of the 4 quarters.

What did Brown say that Leigh Matthews tell him about stats. Something like there is only one stat that counts
That was literally his point and statement. Inaccuracy = outscored and therefore losing the game.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Mostly against us...rarely notice it in other games i watch.
Geelong may just have had a history of very close to 15 kicks in the last few seasons and the umpires pay special attention to us. It is likely similar to Selwood not receiving that many free kicks for high contact over the last 5 years, even if he's smashed around the neck and head.

Overall, good on umpires for paying attention to stats, but it's pretty stupid/unfair if you are pre-judging something because it is a player or team that is doing it.

zyzzbruh

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not trying to step on any toes here, but can anyone here honestly convince me or themselves that a poor or non decision in the last 10 seconds, is any different to one during the course of the game?

There were multiple poor decisions in that game as there is in every game. Specific ones that stick out to me include the 'chopping the arms' that lead to Close's goal despite the fact there wasn't even the slightest contact. Another is the first goal of the game when Henderson kicked the ball all but 7 metres to Miers. If you nullify every bad decision then you probably lose a couple of goals as well. Can't just pick and choose pointing out the last one.

I would even argue the same point in favour of you guys in the Brisbane game.

STPer18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not trying to step on any toes here, but can anyone here honestly convince me or themselves that a poor or non decision in the last 10 seconds, is any different to one during the course of the game?

There were multiple poor decisions in that game as there is in every game. Specific ones that stick out to me include the 'chopping the arms' that lead to Close's goal despite the fact there wasn't even the slightest contact. Another is the first goal of the game when Henderson kicked the ball all but 7 metres to Miers. If you nullify every bad decision then you probably lose a couple of goals as well. Can't just pick and choose pointing out the last one.

The ball travelled 22 metres and the umpire called 'not 15 play on'. What kind of response are you expecting?

zyzzbruh

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
The ball travelled 22 metres and the umpire called 'not 15 play on'. What kind of response are you expecting?
If it was the only dubious call of the game then yes you would have been robbed. But when you were on the receiving end of a few yourselves that produced goals, I don't see how you can think you were. You can't focus on just that last call and ignore the others just because it was in the last second.

catempire

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

There’s no fault in your broad logic. People will quibble about specific examples. You and I might differ on the mark paid 20m out directly in front to the Swans, for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STPer18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If it was the only dubious call of the game then yes you would have been robbed. But when you were on the receiving end of a few yourselves that produced goals, I don't see how you can think you were. You can't focus on just that last call and ignore the others just because it was in the last second.
We didn't lose because of the umpires, Cameron could still have missed even, but it's literally one of the few rules that is black and white. There's so many factors that determine 'holding the ball' these days that depending on the day the rule seems different, but a ball that travels 22 metres being called 'not 15' is beyond stupid and indefensible.

Drunkcat

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I get you i don't know why people sook about umpires you just take the good with the bad

zyzzbruh

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
We didn't lose because of the umpires, Cameron could still have missed even, but it's literally one of the few rules that is black and white. There's so many factors that determine 'holding the ball' these days that depending on the day the rule seems different, but a ball that travels 22 metres being called 'not 15' is beyond stupid and indefensible.
I get that it was very blatant. But I'm sure if horse pointed out for example Close's freekick and asked for a please explain, the AFL would probably declare it a mistake too. It's just that no one bats an eye to it and gets glossed over because it happened in the middle of the game. Same goes in every game in general when there's a dubious call in the last second

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

One thing that's been pretty common reading throughout this thread is that fans are frustrated by the umpires decisions in the dying stages of the match, but the vast majority have acknowledged our inability to convert our chances especially in the last quarter, is what ultimately cost us and that's on the guys out on the field

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong

People focus on the decisions at the end of the game because they're fresh in the memory. You're right that there were similar calls throughout the night where the umpires were calling not 15 when the ball was in the middle of its trajectory both ways, but since they happened earlier in the game they tend to be forgotten. The umpiring didn't cost us though - it was our inaccuracy in front of goal coupled with your guys just slotting goals seemingly from everywhere.

People saying Brisbane were robbed against us earlier in the year tend to forget that not only did a similar decision go against us earlier in the game, but Eric Hipwood also hit the post running into an open goal earlier in the game as well. That was probably more costly in the wash up as that was something entirely in the team's control.

allrighty

Premium Gold
Jun 5, 2007
Coo Coo Ca Choo
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah we will cop it and move on. Though at this time of a tight game such a clear howler is yet another example of how much the game turns on the subjective calls of the umpire. And I think many fans from all clubs are getting a bit sick of it.

Don't get me wrong the umps have a tough gig with so much going on around them, so many interpretations and so many changes. They will make mistakes.

This one was another that was so bad it highlights the many flaws in the rules of our game. Being a bit of a free market dude I would generally support leaving things alone and let it evolve on the back of coaches and player initiatives.

zyzzbruh

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah we will cop it and move on. Though at this time of a tight game such a clear howler is yet another example of how much the game turns on the subjective calls of the umpire. And I think many fans from all clubs are getting a bit sick of it.

Don't get me wrong the umps have a tough gig with so much going on around them, so many interpretations and so many changes. They will make mistakes.

This one was another that was so bad it highlights the many flaws in the rules of our game. Being a bit of a free market dude I would generally support leaving things alone and let it evolve on the back of coaches and player initiatives.
My point is why does a howler in the middle of a game get ignored whilst the one at the end doesn't. Because Geelong definitely got a couple of goals from howlers.

allrighty

Premium Gold
Jun 5, 2007
Coo Coo Ca Choo
AFL Club
Geelong
My point is why does a howler in the middle of a game get ignored whilst the one at the end doesn't. Because Geelong definitely got a couple of goals from howlers.
I get that. My reply to that is at the end of the game the emotions are higher and therefore the clear error it is highlighted more.

My broader point is that the rules and interpretations are so flexible at all times it is not great for the game = I agree with your point

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I've always thought the AFL upped the distance from 10m to 15m to try and ensure that those short 6-8m kicks are called play on and not necessarily to prevent 10-14m kicks from being called a mark, you see many times in a game kicks that are less than 15m being called a mark but its not often 15m+ kicks are called play on

TheWoodenSlug

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably because the stakes are higher at the end of a close game, so every emotion is magnified. It's not only with free kicks either. For example, I just checked the stats and Papley kicked 2 goals - I can't recall the first one, but I definitely remember the sealer.

bombersboy

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
As did Sydney so what is your point. Mark paid at the top the square to McLean was a great attempt but he did not control the ball on the way down.

Art Vandelay_

TheBrownDog
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bushrangers, AC Milan
Probably comes down to expectations.
Nobody expects anything from Zuthrie so when he doesn't stuff up people have positive reactions to his game, on the other side plenty around believe Chook is a star AFL player by potential so unless he reaches those kind of heights there are negative reactions to his game.
Personally, I don't find either to be AFL level.
Of course they aren't. They are our 23-30 fringe.
Danger and MOC out and no Constable, now seems like Simpson will be set to come in before Charlie.

Papers are stamped. Not up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad