Autopsy Geelong Loses to Swans by 2 points - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

splashwave

Debutant
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Not trying to step on any toes here, but can anyone here honestly convince me or themselves that a poor or non decision in the last 10 seconds, is any different to one during the course of the game?

There were multiple poor decisions in that game as there is in every game. Specific ones that stick out to me include the 'chopping the arms' that lead to Close's goal despite the fact there wasn't even the slightest contact. Another is the first goal of the game when Henderson kicked the ball all but 7 metres to Miers. If you nullify every bad decision then you probably lose a couple of goals as well. Can't just pick and choose pointing out the last one.

I would even argue the same point in favour of you guys in the Brisbane game.
I pretty much agree with this, one difference though is that a bad call at the very end really does decide the game as there’s nowhere for it to go after that. when it happens early on, an entirely different game unfolds after the decision, so you can’t concretely say how it influenced the end result the way you can with a late call.

David the Cat

Dec 7, 2009
Thailand
AFL Club
Geelong
My point is why does a howler in the middle of a game get ignored whilst the one at the end doesn't. Because Geelong definitely got a couple of goals from howlers.
Simple...because the last minute howler in this instance had a DIRECT influence on the outcome of the game whilst the other howlers during the game have a cumulative effect on the outcome.....

Its apples and oranges mate...

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
For all the people who go on about how players get frees for nothing now, its soft, imagine being a defender now...so on, so on etc etc
That's how many frees used to be paid back in the day. They were paid constantly.
Not one modern day player in there. (Except Selwood)

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
For all the people who go on about how players get frees for nothing now, its soft, imagine being a defender now...so on, so on etc etc
That's how many frees used to be paid back in the day. They were paid constantly.
Not one modern day player in there. (Except Selwood)
Spot on. These tallies were for just one team. For example, the free kick tally in that South Melbourne - Hawthorn game was actually 72 to 55. You would rarely get 60 free kicks combined in a game nowadays, let alone for just one team.

1620203262598.png

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Spot on. These tallies were for just one team. For example, the free kick tally in that South Melbourne - Hawthorn game was actually 72 to 55. You would rarely get 60 free kicks combined in a game nowadays, let alone for just one team.

View attachment 1119269
Wow, that 72-55 tally wasn't even the highest total tally in a game....

1620203941951.png

Compare these to the lowest tallies in a game, most of which were in the last 20 years....

1620204061389.png

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

View attachment 1119269
The decrease in free kicks paid could almost come down to the reduction in the HTB rule. Back then any throw, drop, tackle resulted in a free kick. Now the umpires seem to detest paying it like it'll hurt the player's feelings. They also blew the whistle a lot quicker back then rather than waiting for the play to happen.

CatToTheFuture

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Not trying to step on any toes here, but can anyone here honestly convince me or themselves that a poor or non decision in the last 10 seconds, is any different to one during the course of the game?

There were multiple poor decisions in that game as there is in every game. Specific ones that stick out to me include the 'chopping the arms' that lead to Close's goal despite the fact there wasn't even the slightest contact. Another is the first goal of the game when Henderson kicked the ball all but 7 metres to Miers. If you nullify every bad decision then you probably lose a couple of goals as well. Can't just pick and choose pointing out the last one.

I would even argue the same point in favour of you guys in the Brisbane game.
I don't think too many are disagreeing with you

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

View attachment 1119269
To put that in perspective teams now usually get around 200-ish kicks total.
And many are nothing, backward kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Art Vandelay_

TheBrownDog
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bushrangers, AC Milan
Well they should...the difference is stark.
No I think your logic is warped here.
Numerous calls and non-calls that affect the game throughout, all it takes is 1 goal to be kicked off a poor decision and the game is altered.

The ball goes back to the middle after the goal, whereas a non-call leaves it inside one team's 50m arc. Ball could have slingshotted down the end for a goal or bounced around for 5 minutes before the next goal.

That one was missed with 9 seconds left did not lose us the game, too many variables prior to say that is the case.

Whiskers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If it was the only dubious call of the game then yes you would have been robbed. But when you were on the receiving end of a few yourselves that produced goals, I don't see how you can think you were. You can't focus on just that last call and ignore the others just because it was in the last second.
Were you outraged when we got our win against Brisbane?
What annoys me isn’t your opinion but it’s how everyone has that opinion now but not when we played Brisbane despite their 10 shots on goal from frees to our 1.
Neale not pinged for a throw late, Coleman not done for an arm chop.
Jordan Clark doesn’t get an obvious HTB early in the game but HTB often gets interpreted wrong, whereas I’ve never seen a 22m kick deemed not 15.

You can have your opinion but if you’re like most people who were outraged for Brisbane than you can shove your opinion where the sun don’t shine.

Footy_Fan2007

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
No I think your logic is warped here.
Numerous calls and non-calls that affect the game throughout, all it takes is 1 goal to be kicked off a poor decision and the game is altered.

The ball goes back to the middle after the goal, whereas a non-call leaves it inside one team's 50m arc. Ball could have slingshotted down the end for a goal or bounced around for 5 minutes before the next goal.

That one was missed with 9 seconds left did not lose us the game, too many variables prior to say that is the case.
I agree with this. I also can’t believe the amount of people who think Cameron would have kicked the goal. He was next to the boundary and couldn’t run around as the siren would have gone. Yes he was on his left, but it’s almost an impossible kick without playing on.

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope what's happening with Covid in Sydney and the fact the Swans players are all being tested as the guy with Covid visited a cafe close to their training base doesn't affect our guys at all.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Hope what's happening with Covid in Sydney and the fact the Swans players are all being tested as the guy with Covid visited a cafe close to their training base doesn't affect our guys at all.
Seems our guys are having to be tested and stuff also as we were in Sydney last week - hopefully the fact we went up & back in 1 day reduces our risk

Remove this Banner Ad