Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want to go the conspiracy theory route you are taking the wrong tact I reckon.

Scott Selwood and GHS ruled out with concussion while the opposition that took massive hits to the head in Hartlett and Heeney played on.

I question the consistency across the medical teams.
I have said this before......There is no conspiracy. There is however an AFL business plan.

Coaches award votes:

GEELONG v SYDNEY
9 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
9 Callum Sinclair (Syd)
5 Tim Kelly (Geel)
3 Jake Lloyd (Syd)
3 Tom Stewart (Geel)
1 Isaac Heeney (Syd)

Not hard to work out the breakdown this week

And how many of our 6 matches now have seen the opposition ruck receive votes from the coaches? When was the last time one of our rucks was close to BOG in the coaches eyes?

Of course there are ways to counter the problems, but there's no guarantee that it won't cause other problems that are even greater.

For example we played Dangerfield in the forward line for a while yesterday to try and provide another target... but our midfield was stretched to thinly from injury to make that a sustainable plan and I think overall we lost out by not letting him have a greater amount of touch and influence over the course of the game.

Remember that every move, every change made by the coaching staff needs to be executed in an extremely high pressure environment - so needs to be a situation they prepared for and have drilled a potential solution too. Remember also that the actual implementation of those coaching strategies comes at the cost of other coaching strategies, some of them highly structural. And when you're worn out as thin as we are at present you lose a lot of the inherent flexibility, especially when you start having at least one player out of the game like clockwork every work. Pretty much an impossible ask to reliably solve these problems under the given circumstances.

It's called game theory and our coach has no idea what it is.

It's why I always harp on about structures, without correct structures you are more exploitable.

Menzel goes out and we dont bring in a 3rd tall, now Sydney only need to cover 2 talls.

1 being Hawkins who has poor mobility so just park someone in front of him and limit our good kickers from getting easy disposal.

Sav having poor fitness/experience isn't a huge threat unless he is one out against a small opponent.

Pretty easy to cover those 2 talls if they win the midfield, which they did.

GHS out hurt but it hurt more because of bringing in nothing players in Gregson and Zuthrie. (if we had Crameri/Black then Danger wouldn't have needed to go forward)

One thing Sydney did well was not let their small forward line get exploited by allowing us to take a lot of marks in the backline. With someone like Taylor in the team we would have killed them in this area but our inexperienced backs couldnt capitalise.

It was ruled a point.

Mostly though, on that angle you cannot say the boot got the ball. On the reverse angle the spin and speed of the ball doesn't change till this frame:

View attachment 490335

This indicates that with the movement and spin of the ball changing after this frame, that it kicked after the line

So according to afl360 ... the afl have announced that this overrule should not have happened ... meanwhile this goal started to the ball rolling.. headshake ..

So according to afl360 ... the afl have announced that this overrule should not have happened ... meanwhile this goal started to the ball rolling.. headshake ..
The frustrating thing is the goal reviewer has a simple task: overrule if clearly wrong, otherwise defer to the umpire. There was no basis to overrule in this case.

The frustrating thing is the goal reviewer has a simple task: overrule if clearly wrong, otherwise defer to the umpire. There was no basis to overrule in this case.

Its starts out that way ..but in the end umpire become window dressing... and they ask for the video as if it all knowledgable all knowing... when so many are as you have described ...not clear enough to change it. Do they start they have to justify their position? Id would say the ones that are clear are obvious are quickly known... when you have to start going back and forth ..its not clear enough to change the umpires call. That Hawkins goal has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:
Lol doesn’t have to be a feral crowd mate, just some atmosphere around the ground, something like geeeeeeelong ringing around the whole stadium would be a great lifter to the players, how good was it around the MCG in 2011 GF?

It’s dead quiet down there until a goal is kicked and a few claps.

that is sad. I once had a flash of a game at KP. Cats were surging, the joint was rollicking, one side of the stadium was shouting "WE ARE!", and the other side was answering "GEELONG!", over and over again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goal was based on the foot being brushed in the middle of the square

No it wasn't. It was accredited to the final kick on the line. They initially tried to put it to Heeney, which is the 'touch' you're referring to. However, then changed it 5-10 minutes later to that last kick by Hayward I believe.

Which supposedly the AFL has very quietly owned up to an error

Last edited:
No it wasn't. It was accredited to the final kick on the line. They initially tried to put it to Heeney, which is the 'touch' you're referring to. However, then changed it 5-10 minutes later to that last kick.

Which supposedly the AFL has very quietly owned up to an error

Thats sort retrospectively fitting the square peg to a round hole sort of tells one that this was very definetly not clear enough to over rule. I can live with error when its judgemental.. obvious error is the only one that should be changed..which mean it may only change a call rarely ..but so be it.

but corruption does not occur in the afl, as Australian play clean
just ask the cricketers

the afl is fast becoming a joke

blurring the lines there M? Corruption is not what id call this..more being tied up in red tape to the point of strangling the game. And Cricketers is relevant ..how? Do you feel the cricket thing was more condoned than just the on field cricket players doing.

Cats fans.

Ins and Outs for this weekends game against Giants, what do you think the inclusions and exclusions will be based on availability. Disappointed really should have put Swans away, I think this weekend should get it together.

I'm supportive of the idea of an independent doctor/s at AFL matches who access concussion symptoms

You'd think the Hippocratic oath would be enough. However, systemic drug cheating at you know where wasn't stopped by Dr you know who given all the cloak and dagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back