MRP / Trib. Geelong MRO & Tribunal decisions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still shitty on the Toby Greene tackle against us. Same as Close but no suspension.

Sure it’s the right decision but it’s not consistent with all the bad ones they have made all year.
Why couldn’t this interpretation be used the 1st time Close got suspended? What was he meant to do there?
Their dumb idea was to rub anyone out who tacked a player to the ground and hit their head. The reasons were irrelevant. Now they are using reason.

Sure it’s the right decision but it’s not consistent with all the bad ones they have made all year.
Why couldn’t this interpretation be used the 1st time Close got suspended? What was he meant to do there?
Their dumb idea was to rub anyone out who tacked a player to the ground and hit their head. The reasons were irrelevant. Now they are using reason.
I think the difference was, the one Close was suspended for he pinned both arms, so player had no way to protect himself. On this one, Francis had one arm free and chose not to protect himself by dropping the ball and using the free arm to brace himself.

Can't blame Francis for not dropping the ball though as it would have been a free kick to Close.

Absolutely
2 months ago he’s getting a week
I love the fact that Richo was the voice of reason on the broadcast as opposed to BT (Brain Tumor) with the whole "Close brings him to ground, smashes his head into the turf and his arms were pinned" etc. He had a free arm. He was using it to hold the ball. Could've let go. This is literally what it's coming to with the AFL and their adjudication stupidity. Trying to force players to make moral decisions in the heat of battle when players would rather injure themselves than lose games of footy.

Yes the right result and if this is the new standard we can get back to enjoying the game without the fear of a key fair players being suspended every time a tackle is made.For me its been like watching Dan Menzel play after his first two ACL I just couldn't find the same enjoyment in the game when he was involved knowing the cards were stacked against him.

I think the difference was, the one Close was suspended for he pinned both arms, so player had no way to protect himself. On this one, Francis had one arm free and chose not to protect himself by dropping the ball and using the free arm to brace himself.

Can't blame Francis for not dropping the ball though as it would have been a free kick to Close.
They didn’t even use that reasoning. They seem not to want to acknowledge it. They rightly noticed that Close was desperately trying not to have Francis fall forward and was trying to turn him.

They didn’t even use that reasoning. They seem not to want to acknowledge it. They rightly noticed that Close was desperately trying not to have Francis fall forward and was trying to turn him.
Hopefully the AFL have realised if the keep up their hard arse attitude to tackling (not talking sling tackles) there is every likelihood we could have a finals series missing a number of marque players across those games can you imagine the blowback,I think we are now about to see the reinstatement of the AFL's favored grey area to allow some manipulation going forward.

Hopefully the AFL have realised if the keep up their hard arse attitude to tackling (not talking sling tackles) there is every likelihood we could have a finals series missing a number of marque players across those games can you imagine the blowback,I think we are now about to see the reinstatement of the AFL's favored grey area to allow some manipulation going forward.
Sling tackles or tackles in which the tackler drag them to ground in a dangerous manner i have no problem with getting a week or more but when the player getting tackled is the main reason for the tackle being deemed dangerous ala the latest Close tackle they can * right off.

If you have 1 arm free and can use that to brace(sling not counted) the tackler should not be suspended as you have the option to drop the ball or try and get rid of it instead of going to ground to draw the free kick.

Had this thought after the shitshow that was the last F1 race.

I wonder if we will ever have a situation in which a team puts in a protest at an opposition player not being suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT can go join them. The way he commentated made it sound like Close was stomping on his head.

He's always such a s**t-stirrer.
Just the all-time loser with his 'Oh boy, Oh boy, Wowee!' antics. As you say, if you were not viewing the footage at the same time that you were listening to his commentary, you would have absolutely thought that Close lifted Francis off the ground and speared his body head-first through the SCG turf and then most of the way to the Earth's core.

It was completely non-objective and very obviously coloured to steer towards an intended outcome. And yet his employers will say nothing to him about it and he'll turn up with the same sensationalist drivel the next time he can see a way clear to ether curry favour with his preferred clubs/players or heap scrutiny on those he can't stand.

Never change, BT...

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back