Geelong must be allowed to play at Simonds

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 287726

A Kardina Park final isn't going to happen

The AFL announced weeks before the finals that any none Sydney Derby home final GWS earned the right to host will be played at Spotless. All this whinging and sooking is pathetic..Now want The Giants to win the flag ...

That announcement is nonsense. If Hawthorn go through a massive amount of people will be locked out of Spotless that wouldn't at the SCG or ANZ.

Don't recall Brian Cook or Geelong supporters having any complaints when they played as the 'away' team in a prelim final against Brisbane in 2014 at The MCG.

The hypocrisy is pathetic

Don't assume things for people. I thought that was woefully unfair on Brisbane. Which it was. Which is why it doesn't happen anymore.

Sorry but where are people expecting GWS to play instead? They wont pack out spotless so its an ideal venue

Im sure Geelong doesn't worry about playing on the MCG seeing as they play it well. Should we play Geelong vs Hawks at Geelong and have 60,000 fans miss out

They will pack Spotless out for a home prelim. Put it this way how you YOU like having to play a final at Spotless while bigger stadiums like the SCG and ANZ are available that would accommodate the likely extra 15-20k fans (which is why Cats play finals at G and it should be same for GWS).

Can we get tassie games then?

When you club and supporters really wish to play as many games as possible there? Sure.

I'll support Geelong playing finals in Geelong when they actually decide to play all 11 home games there.

Which will be never.

Well we would certainly like to play all 11 games there and have been vocal about it. Not sure your view is all that fair as the reason we don't is because Hawks, North and Dees 'sell' games interstate they should be playing at the G or Docklands causing us to have to make it up.

Last edited:

They will pack Spotless out for a home prelim. Put it this way how you YOU like having to play a final at Spotless while bigger stadiums like the SCG and ANZ are available that would accommodate the likely extra 15-20k fans (which is why Cats play finals at G and it should be same for GWS).
How many Hawks fans would even travel from Victoria? 5k? Would there be more than 20k GWS and neutrals there?

GWS are just the AFL's love child of the moment, they'll get preferable treatment. The AFL will dictate the narrative as to why and the media will follow suit.

Their argument that fans won't get locked out, contrasts to last year when the Dogs/Crows game was at the G "just in case" fans got locked out. Game ended up having 47K or something ppl at it... not quite Etihad's capacity

There was just over 60k at the Bulldogs v Crows Elimination final last year, and I'd say 15-20k were Adelaide fans

I wonder where the AFL would play a Prelim between a 1st place GWS and a lower placed Sydney Swans from 2017 when ANZ Stadium is no longer an AFL venue.

Interesting to hear on radio today that the AFL decided to schedule the GWS prelim at Spotless because they thought an expected crowd of 30 to 35,000 at ANZ would be a "terrible look", and a sold out Spotless with 24,000 would be a "safer bet". Tell that to the potential new 10,000 AFL fans that could be locked out of the biggest game in Giants history so far.

And that's without even considering the estimated 10,000 Hawthorn members who might want to attend.

Oh yeah their fixture hasn't been soft enough and giving their prelim opponent only a six day break isn't soft enough, let's let them play at a quaint little rural pasture where they train as well.

Dadadoom, doom, doom. Another one's missed the point.

I wonder where the AFL would play a Prelim between a 1st place GWS and a lower placed Sydney Swans from 2017 when ANZ Stadium is no longer an AFL venue.

Interesting to hear on radio today that the AFL decided to schedule the GWS prelim at Spotless because they thought an expected crowd of 30 to 35,000 at ANZ would be a "terrible look", and a sold out Spotless with 24,000 would be a "safer bet". Tell that to the potential new 10,000 AFL fans that could be locked out of the biggest game in Giants history so far.

And that's without even considering the estimated 10,000 Hawthorn members who might want to attend.

And ding ding ding finally someone gets it! This isn't about Geelong. It's about the double standard that many thousands of Hawks or Dogs fans (an hell even Sydney neutrals) are about to be screwed by.

How many Hawks fans would even travel from Victoria? 5k? Would there be more than 20k GWS and neutrals there?

They are a triple premiership side with a massive membership and even more massive supporter base. They won their interstate finals last year and Sydney is a long way but would be driveable for a lot without too much trouble. That game would get AT LEAST 45k at ANZ or SCG maybe more. Dogs probably not so much. AFL creating a massive stick for themselves to be whacked hard with if Hawthorn win this week.

Last edited:
Like Cooke said though, finals tickets are offered equally to members of each club.

It's one thing to play interstate teams there, but if we play against a Vic team the home ground advantage isn't as great if half of Kardinia Park is full of the other teams members who have as much right to access the ground as Cats members.

No, Geelong shouldn't play at a Preliminary Final at Kardinia Park. The very idea is preposterous.

There is no such thing as a "home ground" final, really. It is a "home state" final, where you play the game at the biggest and most appropriate venue in your state.

In Victoria, that venue is the MCG (sometimes Etihad in week one finals where there are 2 or more MCG games)

In Adelaide it is the Adelaide Oval, because that is the only ground.

In Perth, it is Subiaco, because that is the only ground.

In Brisbane, it is the Gabba because that is the only ground.

The question is, what do we do, regarding home finals in Sydney? Putting aside Homebush which won't get used anymore, the biggest and most appropriate venue is the SCG. It is logical, therefore, to suggest that any GWS or Swans home finals should be played at the SCG, including GWS's Preliminary Final in two weeks time.

Playing all Sydney or GWS home finals at the SCG, dissuades any criticism of Geelong having to play at the MCG for their home finals. Just play all home finals at the biggest available venue in that state. Simple. It's a remarkably easy problem to solve if you look at it logically.

I'm sorry. That's rot.

The final should be played at the most appropriate venue - wherever that is.

For Geelong, against most teams, that is clearly the MCG.

Perhaps on occasion in the future it may be Kardinia Park.

For GWS, for the forseeable future, that is Spotless Stadium.

Where it might get hairy for them is if we get a GWS v Sydney final in the next few years - now where would that be played?!?!?!?!?

That is a good question.

I hate this whole thing where you play at the mcg for bigger crowds. You finished top four, you deserve a home final, you win your way to a preliminary final you deserve the right to play at your home ground. Absolutely the cats should play at simmonds. 110 percent.

View attachment 287726

A Kardina Park final isn't going to happen

The AFL announced weeks before the finals that any none Sydney Derby home final GWS earned the right to host will be played at Spotless. All this whinging and sooking is pathetic..Now want The Giants to win the flag ...

I'm really upset that you don't want my team to win the flag. I'm very disappointed in you.

Fwiw I'd rather we play our finals at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great, now to address the woefully unfair requirement to play the gf in Melbourne and we should all be sweet.

We can talk about last year.

Hawthorn get done by WC in a qualifying final, then get to play them at home in a GF? It should be a neutral ground at worst.

If the Hawks had to play each of their last 3 GFs interstate, would they have won them all? Of course not.

It makes sense for this year with the ongoing construction happening. But in the future I think we should play all home finals at Simonds Stadium.

You do understand that if you played for example an Adelaide at Simounds Stadium they could have just as many supporters as Geelong at the ground on game day given membership numbers.

The AFL take control of the grounds come finals.

I am wary of this. Letting Geelong play all its games in Geelong will create a monster. They will have all of the advantages of an interstate side regarding home ground advantage but have none of the disadvantages of travel.
Except we dont get the same advantage of interstate sides as our opponents often dont have to get on a flight to play us. Why did you ignore that fact?

Do they H&A home games there?

If so... Then it's their home ground. Whether they have two or three home grounds is irrelevant. I think it's different to GWS or Gold Coast that don't play ANY home games during the season at SCG or Gabba (as far as I'm aware).

Lol I am never normally one to go in to bat for Sydney but notice how Sydney GWS was played at ANZ because of it being the two Sydney sides. Geelong has played finals against interstate sides in Geelong in the past and that's as good as they can hope for

We can talk about last year.

Hawthorn get done by WC in a qualifying final, then get to play them at home in a GF? It should be a neutral ground at worst.

If the Hawks had to play each of their last 3 GFs interstate, would they have won them all? Of course not.

Well they qualified as minor premier in 2013 and were 10 goals up at 3/4 time in 2014 and 2015 so probably :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back