Geelong - never going out of premiership contention?

Remove this Banner Ad

They manage the transition well. Don’t forget we lost Scarlett, Stevie J, Bartel, Chapman, Mooney, Ablett, Enright , Mackie etc and still remain competitive. Ablett will leave again along with Taylor, Hawkins, selwood but they’ll replace them.
Interestingly the next group was supposed to be Menzel, Murdoch, thurlow, Guthrie and a few others. 3 are out and Guthrie is a fringe player, so we just bring in ‘need’ players and promote youth. Cats will be thereabouts , but we want to be champions. Not sure they’ll be good enough in next few years.

Ablett and Selwood are the only players still on the list since the run started in 2007.

This year could be the year of the cat too.

Ablett and Selwood are the only players still on the list since the run started in 2007.

I’m sure there’s other examples of these sorts of connections especially with Essendon and North courtesy of Fletcher and Harvey, but it’s pretty cool that we still have a player who played with at least 1 member of our 1992 grand final side (Ablett Jr/Peter Riccardi)

Until a year or so later and Ablett does the same thing. Then Dalhouse... then Rohan.

Hmm, rare.
My point was that it will be rare for out-and-out star players, like Dangerfield, to be as absolutely adamant about coming to Geelong as Dangerfield was.

Ablett was another special circumstance. He would have always been a Geelong player if not for the money the AFL offered him for moving to GC.

Dahlhaus and Rohan are not star players. Also, Rohan did not demand to be traded to Geelong. Sydney told him he was done there, which he apparently wasn't too happy about, and he selected Geelong.

Hawkins was on the list in 2007 too. He and Selwood were taken in the same draft.

My point was that it will be rare for out-and-out star players, like Dangerfield, to be as absolutely adamant about coming to Geelong as Dangerfield was.

Ablett was another special circumstance. He would have always been a Geelong player if not for the money the AFL offered him for moving to GC.

Dahlhaus and Rohan are not star players. Also, Rohan did not demand to be traded to Geelong. Sydney told him he was done there, which he apparently wasn't too happy about, and he selected Geelong.

Hawkins was on the list in 2007 too. He and Selwood were taken in the same draft.

Dahlhaus and Rohan both quality players albeit not on Dangerfield's level - then again not many players are.

Re. Hawkins - how did Geelong get him with such a low pick? Given he was rated as a possible pick 1 if not for father son.

Talk about home ground advantage is by the by.

The real secret to Geelong's sustained competitiveness is drafting, and development.
They have obtained numerous mature aged players for low draft cost, and have promoted and developed from within, using the VFL club.

Kelly
menegola
Atkins
Stewart
taylor
blicavs

A number of others have decided to return to the area

Henderson
ablett
dangerfield
rohan
dalhouse
scott selwood

The system is not free market. We are sold a lie on the whole "draft is the miracle cure for everything". Meanwhile, Geelong is busy trading and getting established players for less than a real market rate would dictate.

Luke Dalhaus - approx $500,000 per year. For him to go to Carlton they would need to pay $750,000. Why? Cause Geelong is a contender, Carlton isn't.

Zach Tuohy - left the Blues, Carlton gets dud Smedts and a 1st round draft pick. Whoophee do!

Geelong can prop up their team by picking the best players out of other clubs.

The whole Dangerfield trade was a joke too. Adelaide got Gore- whoever he is?, pick 9 and pick 28...Whoopee do!

Dangerfield is elite. In a real market you would be giving up more than that for Dangerfield.

In a real market, Adelaide should have got in return an established player from Geelong (eg Guthrie/Caddy in 2016), plus draft picks. Geelong win matches thanks to Dangerfield. What do Adelaide get in return? Gore...wow!

Geelong are a contender this year. They use the system well, they have a great recruiter in Stephen Wells, they get good young players in as well...but without the AFL system as it stands they would have dropped down the ladder by now. Barring injuries, should be top 4 this year.
Real market value what would have Geelong got for a 25yo Ablett?

Oh and Dean Gore the good news is he is now back at Geelong

Real market value what would have Geelong got for a 25yo Ablett?

Oh and Dean Gore the good news is he is now back at Geelong

He's got a point as he supports Carlton and remember what they had to give up for Judd.

Josh Kennedy, Chris Masten and Tony Notte.

Compare that to what Geelong had to give up for Dangerfield it's chalk and cheese.

Terry Milera, Troy Menzel and Dean Gore.

This is a perfect illustration of why Geelong are a perennial powerhouse on the field.

Geelong supporters will never admit, they have the biggest advantage in the comp being sole tenant of the Victorian ground they also train at. Yet because they're so insecure, they point the finger and have the gall to bag other Vic clubs who actually lose their own home ground advantage quite often when playing their own respective tenants.

Or are they sill crying over the home state final they earned at the MCG, (just like any other year against a bigger Vic team) yet lost against eventual premier Richmond, in 2017. Surely not, That's pretty insecure, even for w***ers.
We have the biggest disadvantage in the comp playing 8 home and 14 away games. Not to mention we are the only team that plays all away finals. your post is rubbish.

We have the biggest disadvantage in the comp playing 8 home and 14 away games. Not to mention we are the only team that plays all away finals. your post is rubbish.

Last time I checked, Geelong FC wants to play their big home games at the MCG, which also gives them an advantage at finals time. I do also seem to remember Fremantle playing them down in Geelong in 2013 - so I expect if they play again, or the Giants it would be in Geelong, especially with the ground upgraded.

Back on topic - regardless of how they've done it, it's been an incredible effort by Geelong, and most other clubs would be completely envious. It's great for the club, supporters and city to have a team be successful for so long.

Last time I checked, Geelong FC wants to play their big home games at the MCG, which also gives them an advantage at finals time. I do also seem to remember Fremantle playing them down in Geelong in 2013 - so I expect if they play again, or the Giants it would be in Geelong, especially with the ground upgraded.

No, we don't.

The club has been on the record numerous times in wanting 11 home games at Kardinia Park.

It's the AFL that doesn't want to send the big Victorian clubs down the highway.

Hawthorn hasn't played at Kardinia Park since 2006.
Collingwood hasn't played there since 1999.
Essendon hasn't played there since 1993.
Carlton played there last year but their most recent trip before that was in 1997.

You get the idea...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, we don't.

The club has been on the record numerous times in wanting 11 home games at Kardinia Park.

It's the AFL that doesn't want to send the big Victorian clubs down the highway.

Hawthorn hasn't played at Kardinia Park since 2006.
Collingwood hasn't played there since 1999.
Essendon hasn't played there since 1993.
Carlton played there last year but their most recent trip before that was in 1997.

You get the idea...
Fair enough - my mistake, since when do the facts get in the way of an opinion ;).

Wasn't there a 3rd or 4th stage of Development of Kardinia park happening to bring it up to 45k ? Maybe then the big Vic clubs will work where Geelong is.

On a similar note, it does seem that the bigger Vic clubs only ever make it to Perth once a year. I can't remember the last time Collingwood played twice in Perth in the H&A season for example.

Back on topic - regardless of how they've done it, it's been an incredible effort by Geelong, and most other clubs would be completely envious. It's great for the club, supporters and city to have a team be successful for so long.
Yep one game in the 40 odd finals. Every other team gets equal amount of home and away finals. We get one in 40.

People ignore that melbourne games are not neutral games for us. They are away games. Maybe not to the extent of interstate games but they are still clear away games where we are disadvantaged. We are massively disadvantaged by the crowds which impacts momentum and umpire bias. Stats conclusively back these points up. A 1.5 hour one way drive for players hours before a game is also going to impact you more then a 15 min drive which would be the average for most melbourne team players who all live inner city. We play 14 games a year at this disadvantage.

They're a great H&A side but their game plan has not stood up to finals football for 8 years now!

Time to think outside the box and come up with something new.
Similar to Hawthorn for the last 5 years. 2 straight sets in 3 years, wow. Yesterday's news every bit as much as Geelong.

I will save it for the Hawthorn thread though.

Having acknowledged the hypocrisy, I will admit that I agree that proof is now in finals performances. We have been extremely poor. No avoiding that reality. If it can't change this year, I would welcome a coaching change!

Similar to Hawthorn for the last 5 years. 2 straight sets in 3 years, wow. Yesterday's news every bit as much as Geelong.

I will save it for the Hawthorn thread though.

Having acknowledged the hypocrisy, I will admit that I agree that proof is now in finals performances. We have been extremely poor. No avoiding that reality. If it can't change this year, I would welcome a coaching change!

Which will be neigh on impossible, you're stuck with Chris Scott for a few more seasons. If anything you should be hoping for a slide outside of the 8, so the board have a legitimate excuse to turf him out early.

And Hawthorn are not yesterday's news, clubs still fear them. Hawthorn are the most recent team to go back to back and threepeat.................... the Bulldogs and Richmond have failed to emulate them thus far. I'd love an Eagles back to back premiership, will be tough for them to do it.

I’d say we’ve been able to stay relevant than always in premiership contention.

Last year we wern’t in contention, however 2017 and 2016 we were, 2015 and 2014 we were not, but 2013 we were.

We’ve had an amazing run, I’d say we’re in the mix again this year, the unknown will come around 2021 onwards, when a few of our senior guys will either be retired or struggling with Father Time.

We make less money at the mcg than we do at home.

Literally the only thing we get out of it is mcg experience.

We don’t request games there. As of 2017 at least - not sure about the years since - we requested 9 games at Geelong under the knowledge that a 10th home game would be Easter Monday, and the acceptance against our wishes that there would be at least one other game there.

What we will admit is that we are the only club who has to play finals matches at another team’s home ground in another city

If that’s fair, you have a problem with basic logistics s

Which will be neigh on impossible, you're stuck with Chris Scott for a few more seasons. If anything you should be hoping for a slide outside of the 8, so the board have a legitimate excuse to turf him out early.

And Hawthorn are not yesterday's news, clubs still fear them. Hawthorn are the most recent team to go back to back and threepeat.................... the Bulldogs and Richmond have failed to emulate them thus far. I'd love an Eagles back to back premiership, will be tough for them to do it.
Ol straight sets Clarkson!!! Talk about illusions of grandeur from Hawthorn 'supporters'!!! Geelong were much more feared than Hawthorn at the moment!! Having said that, Connor Nash must be keeping coaches around the league awake!!

I'm interested to see how Geelong will go once Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood, Tom etc leave who are all getting older by the day. They are the backbone still of what they are really able to achieve even if they have good players across the ground. I think they will struggle for a few years after this unless they manage to pick up some other stars.

Another thing to think about, the original post states that Geelong are never out of premiership contention. Is that really the case? There is a huge difference between finishing in the 8 and actually being able to win it. I think the proper question should be- Will Gellong ever go out of top 8 contention?

They're a great H&A side but their game plan has not stood up to finals football for 8 years now!

Time to think outside the box and come up with something new.

We have come up with something new. By adding Rohan, Dahlhaus and Atkins up forward, we're now currently best in the league in terms of defensive pressure inside attacking 50, whereas in previous years we were one of the worst teams in this regard.

Add to that running younger players like Constable and Parfitt through the midfield and having players like Gaz and Selwood playing on the periphery has also helped.

Wrong. We want all games at geelong.

And how exactly is it advantage playing at the mcg with 65 thousand pies, tigers or hawks fans compared to 20 thousand geelong fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back